• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
dark10x said:
Same for me. I suppose all those years of never playing military shooters (no Counter Strike, no CoD, no Battlefield, etc) makes it impossible to get into at this point.

Ah well, I've realized that I no longer enjoy competitive multiplayer. I much prefer CO-OP (anything from a "horde mode" to an actual CO-OP campaign).

1427dyc.jpg

:lol

buy teh haloz said:
The Stinger has 2 rockets, doesn't it?

...... Such a brain fart. You made me realize that when the ammo count was on 0 with it, the last rocket was loaded. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

So many choppers missed.

Dyno

Ahh the multiplayer was all perfect once the 1.03 patch came in! Goddamn this game is just crazy! There was so much shit flying around. It's a combination shooter/Las Vegas Plinko game. Killing dudes, getting +100, +100 and then BAM! Numbers popping everywhere and you get +2600 for one kill! I'm mediocre at best but every once in a while something mapcap happens and bodies start falling all around me.

The higher level characters clearly have access to superior equipment this time around. In COD4 there may be been a slight edge but now with all the combinations it's much more visible. Not that I mind. My turn will come soon enough.

So far I can only play around an hour at a time. It's so intense I find I need a break after that. That usually only happens to me with horror games. :lol

Tarin02543

there was some slight dip in hype when people just started playing and had problems with broken trophies and fucked up match making but the last couple of pages in this thread have just turned around and crowned this game as GOTY so hurry up play.com I wanna have it in my mailbox!!!!!! Also why the hell did i order it online for 58 € when a store I've just visited carries it for 52 €, I could have been playing right now :lol

Halcyon

I beat the game last night in my second sitting. It was my first COD game but I played through Medal of Honor:AA way back. I REALLY liked this game's single player campaign. I see alot of people think it's just sort of a rehash, but it was all new to me. Very fun, full of action, pretty decent graphics, and awesome set pieces. I grew up in DC so seeing some of that stuff was really cool. I'm gonna have to go back and rent COD4 as well.

My only complaints of the game come at the end of sections it just sorta fades to black which kinda took me out of it and I think they over-used some of the "follow this dude" segments. The length of the game was super short for the SP, but I think it was about right for pacing purposes.

My favorite parts were seeing the downtown DC area in blazes and ruins, the assault on the russian Gulag, and the ending standoff with price and shepherd. I was yelling at my tv 'GET UP PRICE' because i was so jacked up from having slammed on my square button previous to that. I was into it.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
BattleMonkey said:
Some factions seem to blend in better with the surroundings on some maps than the other.

That could be the case of, oh I don't know, those guys actually belonging in there and the other guys invading? :lol

Crackers

Neo Member
chubigans said:
"Hooray, my first carepackage killstreak! Send one over there!"
-waits for a bit-
-wonders where it is-
-looks up to find it on top of a five story building-

:(

I did pretty much the same thing, except it landed on an overpass!

Never occurred to me to look up and check first. It will from now on though! :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone else notice how utterly fucked people are when they can't see you on radar?

Silencer + Cold-Blooded + Ninja = Massive Upper-Hand.

No visibility on the radar whatsoever and you don't make any sound as you move. Literally no way of people knowing you are there, which is FANTASTIC.

I was so sick and tired of being hunted through the radar, and now I'm the one sneaking around and ruining people's lives :lol

glaurung

mrwilt said:
Wow, I suck at this game. Played a few matches online and got my ass handed to me. Last game I went 1 kill to 12 deaths. :lol Having a hard time seeing the enemy and when I do they already have a bead on me. Frustrating.
Keep at it. Stick with your groupmates, tweak controls to turn quicker and try to memorize the hotspots on the maps.

Also, I have found that the control point capture game modes are better suited for beginning, since it gives the game some purpose. Within team deathmatch, it's more of a mayhem, but the experience rewards are greater. More experience - more levels and better equipment.

Gr1mLock said:
is it just me or do some of the more urban maps have a shit ton of flying debris?..for someone as twitchy and paranoid as me it gets really distracting confusing a flying trashbag for an enemy
I'm with you on that. I can't remember what level they're on but I've shot a few chickens. If it moves and its not a team mate, I shoot.....Maybe I'm a bit too trigger happy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Osaka said:
Don't get me wrong, I love FPS games, but I just don't enjoy competitive online gaming. You know there is MUCH more to PC gaming than competitive gaming, right?

Of course, I still enjoy playing stuff like Unreal Tournament on the PC. I just can't stand online military shooters. I've tried to get into them, but I just don't enjoy the experience.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm pretty terrible at the multiplayer. I haven't played CoD4 in forever, and it's taking me longer to adjust to MW2 than I thought it would. I just keep getting shot in the back. I think I'm moving forward to quickly without clearing around me, but sometimes I feel like someone just spawns behind me.

Any tips?

espionage said:
I recently wrote up a lengthy newbie guide for Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. If you're new to it like several of my friends, I recommend checking it out to learn some of the stuff that can be overwhelming to new players. Even if you're not new, you might be able to make use of it!

A Newbie's Guide to Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

Hahah, of course this would be posted right before I do.

Osaka said:
That could be the case of, oh I don't know, those guys actually belonging in there and the other guys invading? :lol

Outside of insurgents/militia, modern militaries don't go into a territory usually with improper camo. Also many of the games maps don't pit locals versus invaders.

Indeed

RubxQub said:
Anyone else notice how utterly fucked people are when they can't see you on radar?

No visibility on the radar whatsoever and you don't make any sound as you move. Literally no way of people knowing you are there, which is FANTASTIC.

I was so sick and tired of being hunted through the radar, and now I'm the one sneaking around and ruining people's lives :lol

Seriously, just hit 25 - immediatly equipped cold blooded and promtly went 16-0 on my first try (without freaking chopper gunner :p). Sadly i always loose now in direct confrontation since pretty much everyone has stopping power.

Cant wait to get my silenced FAL / ninja / stinger for my ultimate stealthclass.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
RubxQub said:

Doesn't Ninja only block Heartbeat Sensors? I've only found one weapon on the ground with a HBS on it. I usually use Steady Aim, instead. Running around the map Cold-Blooded with a silenced assault rifle or SMG. :D

r3n4ud

micromagic said:
I'm with you on that. I can't remember what level they're on but I've shot a few chickens. If it moves and its not a team mate, I shoot.....Maybe I'm a bit too trigger happy.

I'm in the same boat guys. I've shot many a chicken I tell you!

RubxQub

Osaka said:
Doesn't Ninja only block Heartbeat Sensors? I've only found one weapon on the ground with a HBS on it. I usually use Steady Aim, instead. Running around the map Cold-Blooded with a silenced assault rifle or SMG. :D
Heartbeat sensors, and the pro version allows you to move without making sound.

As someone coming from being heavily competitive in my Counter-Strike days (leagues and whatnot), I think a good pair of headphones is an essential piece of equipment (using the Tritton AXPro set now, want to get the Turtle Beach X41's because I hate wires, and it seems quality).

Ninja lets me stop others like me from knowing I'm coming.

Rez said:
I tried this repeatedly and it never worked with UAV. I assumed it was because it was too small or something. I probably effed it somehow, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

I use the AT4-HS (that's the name that escaped you) to take out UMVs all the time, you just have to wait for the lock on and it does the rest. :D

Got the Bomb Defuser, Bomb Runner, and Decimator (thanks to a care package Heli) Accolades just now with the build I posted above in Sabotage on the Afghan Map. Bunch of jerkoffs camping the entire time with one guy on my team actually talking shit about my using a shield on an "open map". Never mind I literally ran that damn bomb from our defense point to the target, twice, with little more than a throwing knife and shield bumps as my major offensive weapons, and defused the bomb three fucking times, and this idiot wants to say I don't know how to properly use my shield and am "Fucking worthless"? Ended up with something like 15-25-6 at the end. Just me and another shield wielder even bothered running the bomb for most of the game, with three quarters of our team camping. Ugh.

Sorry, had to vent. First time I've had a bad experience with the game in MP so far though, most people I've encountered have been happy to have my "fucking worthless" shield-packing ass being the bullet sponge for the team on the objective based modes. :lol

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Is there any way to disable the airport level after playing it? I don't really want to play it again, and I can't find any option to avoid the content in the menus.

Just finished on Veteran (my 1st Veteran play through via PC, damn you Steam achievements) and quite frankly, that was the easiest Veteran ive played through, with only a couple of spots raising my blood pressure. Not a damn thing like WaW where, in 50vs50 battle, every single enemy soldier picks YOU as the target, i almost smashed something during that........

RubxQub

Lonewolf_92 said:
I use the AT4-HS (that's the name that escaped you) to take out UMVs all the time, you just have to wait for the lock on and it does the rest. :D

Got the Bomb Defuser, Bomb Runner, and Decimator (thanks to a care package Heli) Accolades just now with the build I posted above in Sabotage on the Afghan Map. Bunch of jerkoffs camping the entire time with one guy on my team actually talking shit about my using a shield on an "open map". Never mind I literally ran that damn bomb from our defense point to the target, twice, with little more than a throwing knife and shield bumps as my major offensive weapons, and defused the bomb three fucking times, and this idiot wants to say I don't know how to properly use my shield and am "Fucking worthless"? Ended up with something like 15-25-6 at the end. Just me and another shield wielder even bothered running the bomb for most of the game, with three quarters of our team camping. Ugh.

Sorry, had to vent. First time I've had a bad experience with the game in MP so far though, most people I've encountered have been happy to have my "fucking worthless" shield-packing ass being the bullet sponge for the team on the objective based modes. :lol
I held down a capture point all by my lonesome for pretty much an entire game because there was really only one entrance in (other entrance we near where our team was defaultly spawning since we owned that point) and it was a pretty narrow space. I just let them nade themselves into the room, and poke them when they come flying in.

I personally don't have great counters to shields just yet, but I know they are damn effective at objective based games.

mrwilt said:
Wow, I suck at this game. Played a few matches online and got my ass handed to me. Last game I went 1 kill to 12 deaths. :lol
Like REM said... Everybody sucks sometimes. :D

I hate some maps [looking at YOU, Afghan:lol] where I have gone 0 kills, 1 assist, 9 deaths. Grrr.

Barrett2

As soon as I enter a game lobby, my system freezes for 20 seconds, then I get a message saying I am not connected to XBL. Weird.

Bliddo

RubxQub said:

Uuuu... nice. When did you unlock Cold Blooded?

Speaking of sneaking... i just completed specop Evasion on veteran without killing anyone :D
I had to drop a flashbang and run as hell in the last part, but it worked

lawblob said:
As soon as I enter a game lobby, my system freezes for 20 seconds, then I get a message saying I am not connected to XBL. Weird.
It comes up and disappears too fast for me to read it (it's like a split second), but I'm getting some weird pop-up whenever I enter the game lobby for multiplayer. My system doesn't freeze, though.

I cannot WAIT to unlock Hardcore modes, but I must say, the regular modes seem much more playable to me in MW2 as opposed to CoD4. I guess it's from having stopping power right from the go along with the M4? Enemies drop pretty fast. And with having the deathstreaks and new killstreak bonuses, it's a joy to play.

But still, I can't wait for Hardcore mode. :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Valkyr Junkie said:
My first one was worse. I was unfamiliar with the level and threw it into an area we didn't have secure and an enemy killed me, stole the drop, and proceeded to use the chopper gunner to rack up a massive kill streak :(
Ah jeez. :lol

Crackers said:
I did pretty much the same thing, except it landed on an overpass!

Never occurred to me to look up and check first. It will from now on though! :lol
Oh crap, I never thought about that. :lol

winnarps

RubxQub said:
Heartbeat sensors, and the pro version allows you to move without making sound.

As someone coming from being heavily competitive in my Counter-Strike days (leagues and whatnot), I think a good pair of headphones is an essential piece of equipment (using the Tritton AXPro set now, want to get the Turtle Beach X41's because I hate wires, and it seems quality).

Ninja lets me stop others like me from knowing I'm coming.

Seriously. Even though it's been a long while since I played CS, I turn my volume up and listen for footsteps all the time.

I really need to get a proper headphone set, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to use the XBL mic with them.

RubxQub

Bliddo said:
Uuuu... nice. When did you unlock Cold Blooded?

Speaking of sneaking... i just completed specop Evasion on veteran without killing anyone :D
I had to drop a flashbang and run as hell in the last part, but it worked
Pretty sure Cold-Blooded was 25.
winnarps said:
Seriously. Even though it's been a long while since I played CS, I turn my volume up and listen for footsteps all the time.

I really need to get a proper headphone set, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to use the XBL mic with them.
They sell console gaming specific headsets that allow you to jack into the controller for voice chat.

Tritton AXPro
Turtle Beach x41
Astro A40

These are the top tier items on the market right now, but there are lesser offerings from Tritton and Turtle Beach that will get you stereo vs surround sound for a more reasonable price.

I'd recommend looking into them, as they've made me a godly L4D player, and a much better MW2 player.

I just got this game, and going 35-45K : 5D wasn't rare for my in Modern 1 or W@W, but it's taking me a long time to get used to this. The maps are crazier (and a lot easier for people to hide) and I haven't found my right gun yet...all day yesterday I was going very negative. Now I'm going positive, but only by a little.

:(

Dyno said:
I'm mediocre at best but every once in a while something mapcap happens and bodies start falling all around me.

This is what will keep me coming back, even though Im getting my ass handed to me on a consistent basis, there is at least once per game I go on a 3 kill streak, or I manage to pull off a difficult kill and it is VERY satisfying.

mrwilt

espionage said:
I recently wrote up a lengthy newbie guide for Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. If you're new to it like several of my friends, I recommend checking it out to learn some of the stuff that can be overwhelming to new players. Even if you're not new, you might be able to make use of it!

A Newbie's Guide to Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

Thanks for taking the time to type that up. Great information, but I don't know if it will help make me a better player. I think I'm just getting too old for this shit. :lol

Hanmik

I played on Afghan yesterday for the first time ever.. I had no Idea what I was doing. but I ended up 37-6 in kills in Team Deatchmatch. But that was with 1 helicopter and 1 Harrier carepackage.. :lol

24gvfqp.jpg

RubxQub said:
I held down a capture point all by my lonesome for pretty much an entire game because there was really only one entrance in (other entrance we near where our team was defaultly spawning since we owned that point) and it was a pretty narrow space. I just let them nade themselves into the room, and poke them when they come flying in.

I personally don't have great counters to shields just yet, but I know they are damn effective at objective based games.

To beat shields you either have to flank them or shoot them in any part that's exposed. I've been taken out by getting shot in the hip a couple of times while shifting left or right to avoid scenery or a luck shot while I was running toward an objective. Once got taken out by a prone shooter hitting me in my shin while walking down stairs. :lol Ever see two riot shield bearers go at it? It's as fucking funny to see as it is to do, with each bashing at each other and circling and jockeying for position like a pair of sumos wrestling. :lol

I loaded up Chernobyl last night just to walk around and check out the map because it hadn't come up in rotation yet.

I noticed it's a remake of a CoD1 map. :)

RubxQub said:

No visibility on the radar whatsoever and you don't make any sound as you move.
Yeah? If Cold-Blooded makes you completely invisible to radar, I'm down. I'll use it exclusively in TDM.

BTW, never realized just how awesome BLING would be. Best perk ever.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Yeah? If Cold-Blooded makes you completely invisible to radar, I'm down. I'll use it exclusively in TDM.

BTW, never realized just how awesome BLING would be. Best perk ever.
Lucky for you, that build I mention allows you to use Bling as your first perk, since the Cold-Blooded and Ninja perks are in 2 and 3.

I use a silencer and a holographic sight on my M4 and hurt fools.

Hanmik said:
I played on Afghan yesterday for the first time ever.. I had no Idea what I was doing. but I ended up 37-6 in kills in Team Deatchmatch. But that was with 1 helicopter and 1 Harrier carepackage.. :lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/24gvfqp.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
I remember the first time I played on Afghan. The first time I spawned, I wondered off into the radiation areas and died. :(

winnarps

RubxQub said:
Pretty sure Cold-Blooded was 25.

They sell console gaming specific headsets that allow you to jack into the controller for voice chat.

Tritton AXPro
Turtle Beach x41
Astro A40

These are the top tier items on the market right now, but there are lesser offerings from Tritton and Turtle Beach that will get you stereo vs surround sound for a more reasonable price.

I'd recommend looking into them, as they've made me a godly L4D player, and a much better MW2 player.

Awesome, thanks!

How's the AXPRO? I don't mind wires.

JaseMath

Glad I'm not the only one having a hard time adjusting the MW2 multiplayer. :D I'm consistently getting 10 kills and somewhere around 20 deaths every round...and I'm level 11. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Full Recovery said:
After completing veteran and doing half of the spec ops missions I still firmly believe that they should focus all of their efforts into the multiplayer and forget about the single player. Nothing in MW2's campaign was better than One shot one Kill in MW1.

50 maps, 100 guns, and a bunch more gametypes and I'd buy that for $60.
Wait what? One Shot One Kill is the worst COD map they've ever made!

MW2's campaign was brilliant, imo, especially the last 3 levels.

RubxQub

winnarps said:
Awesome, thanks!

How's the AXPRO? I don't mind wires.
Fantastic.

Once they sent me the upgraded mic (standard now), the voice chat is nice and clear for me and others say they can hear me just fine.

As far as directional audio, in L4D I can exactly pinpoint a person's location. Many that I've played with on GAF can attest to the fact that I could call out where the enemy was exactly without having seen them whatsoever.

Audio quality is also something that is extremely good.

Biggest gripe I have with them is that the headset requires TWO power adapters to run, has multiple wires going into the box (headset plug, optical cable, power cable), and has a wire running to the headset, and then another wire heading to the controller.

Once you have it all setup it's no problem at all, but the amount of wiring and power required for these things kind of blows my mind :lol

Top Bottom