• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

sw33tclyde said:
Pffffft. After 8 days of playtime I was either 7 or 8. But I was a fucking beast with no job back then.

Jajaja, I get it, I attained level 10 in x days back then too, and I think I worked a lot lot less then and had less children. But yeah, there are 28% more levels now (70 v. 55) and I'll be damned if it isn't a longer road just to get to 55. Anyway, it's going to virtually guarantee the shelf life for this game will literally be years for me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Edit: I'm using both Ninja and cold blooded atm. Not just Ninja.

I'm officially loving Ninja, and I'm not even a particularly "stealthy" player.

I started using Ninja as a test last night and without significantly changing my play style my K/D climbed a very healthy amount. It just shows how much opposing teams rely on their UAV, when they set it off.

I now find myself HOPING they set off a UAV. I'm like "that's right bitches you won't be seeing MY dot." Multiple times I've killed a dude, gone prone, and had a teammate of his run RIGHT BY me when they went to investigate. They trust their radar so much :lol :lol

I know strategies and counter-strategies evolve over time, and as more people unlock ninja fewer and fewer will rely on their radar so heavily... but it's gonna be a fun few days until more peeps catch on.

GDJustin said:

I started using Ninja as a test last night and without significantly changing my play style my K/D climbed a very healthy amount. It just shows how much opposing teams rely on their UAV, when they set it off.

I now find myself HOPING they set off a UAV. I'm like "that's right bitches you won't be seeing MY dot." Multiple times I've killed a dude, gone prone, and had a teammate of his run RIGHT BY me when they went to investigate. They trust their radar so much :lol :lol

I know strategies and counter-strategies evolve over time, and as more people unlock ninja fewer and fewer will rely on their radar so heavily... but it's gonna be a fun few days until more peeps catch on.

Ninja only works against the heartbeat sensor, Cold Blooded stops the UAV and other heat seeking kill streaks. Ninja will get good when it goes pro though (silent footsteps).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I wish tactical insertion could be used in place of stun/flash/smoke grenades instead of frag grenades. You can end up spawning onto exploding grenades endlessly in a ground war game.

I don't think half the people playing Demolition realize everyone on the other teams spawns with their own bomb every time. :lol

GDJustin said:

Cold-Blooded is the Perk that makes it so enemy UAVs, Sentries, and Air Support can't spot you. Ninja is just the one where you're not detected by Heartbeat Sensors. I think I am right, but I'm not sure. :lol

Off-topic: Am I the only one that thinks it's actually an advantage when players on the other team use Scrambler? When they're near and my Radar starts going away, I almost always know where they are anyway, so it's basically useless for them. :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Really? I think I like the ACOG. I guess I try to stay at longer range maybe. I mean just don't use the sights for super short range.

KGKK

Banned
Gonna pick this up after work today. I only played snippets of COD4 and don't remember any of it. Will this affect me much on playing the SP? Have the online issues been fixed for the PS3 version? Also on the PS3 version, are people using headsets much this time?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
El_Six said:
What does the holographic offer?? I put it on but can't notice any difference??
The sight seems to move independently of the gun, giving you a slightly more accurate representation when your shooting and moving. The red dot sight is bolted to the gun and points to wherever you're pointing at.

It's very minor really, and both are the same when you're standing still and shooting.

Tkawsome said:
ACOG was pretty bad in the last game too. The only weapon they worked with (for me) were the sniper rifles.
Cannot WAIT to get a sniper all goodied up with thermal and silencer.

2mrtlx2.gif

It's melon popping, strawberry jam explosion time!

So I got a couple matches in today. Had a few good matches and some bad ones, but I'm sure I'll get better once I unlock better weapons. Had a pretty awesome Domination match on the map when you're on top of the building. Maps are much bigger than they were on CoD4 also. Love that snow map so far with the trains I believe. So far so good I suppose.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I love it when people use the Scambler perk. It pretty much work the opposite way its supposed to because it makes it so easy to track the person using it. And the funny thing is people who use it sneak around and camp more thinking it makes them safer. So many kills against people using that perk.

Rippa

chubigans said:
The sight seems to move independently of the gun, giving you a slightly more accurate representation when your shooting and moving. The red dot sight is bolted to the gun and points to wherever you're pointing at.

It's very minor really, and both are the same when you're standing still and shooting.

Yup!

I also think the Holographic sight zooms in a tad bit more than the red dot.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tkawsome said:
Ninja only works against the heartbeat sensor, Cold Blooded stops the UAV and other heat seeking kill streaks. Ninja will get good when it goes pro though (silent footsteps).

I use both Ninja and cold blooded at the moment. Should have made that clear.

DukeSucks

Brian Fellows said:
I love it when people use the Scambler perk. It pretty much work the opposite way its supposed to because it makes it so easy to track the person using it. And the funny thing is people who use it sneak around and camp more thinking it makes them safer. So many kills against people using that perk.

I noticed this too. I started using it when I unlocked it, and the more I played, I realized that I could tell when someone was near me. It usually is pretty easy to figure out where they are hiding or which direction they are coming from. I've gotten several kills just from seeing my mini-map go fuzzy.

vehn

Brian Fellows said:

what do you use instead of that perk? If you were to have a UAV up, you'd know 100% where they are on the minimap, but with scrambler you just have a rough estimate that they are pretty close to you. I've been using scrambler, and I too am on the look out for others when my radar goes blank.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
vehn said:
what do you use instead of that perk? If you were to have a UAV up, you'd know 100% where they are on the minimap, but with scrambler you just have a rough estimate that they are pretty close to you. I've been using scrambler, and I too am on the look out for others when my radar goes blank.

All you have to do is move around a tiny bit to figure out where they're at. If it gets worse you are moving in the right direction. If it starts to clear up they are the opposite way.

I use commando most of the time. Steady aim if I'm using a sub-machine gun.

Ganhyun

I'd like to repost a question posted earlier that didnt get an answer.

Is there a list of all the emblems and callsigns and what needs to be done to unlock them?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
chubigans said:
I'm surprised at how much the ACOG sucks. Ugh.

Holographic all the way.

The ACOG in COD4 sucked but in MW2 it's pretty damn great. I use it all the time when I'm on a map where I suspect there'll be a lot of snipers. Great for medium to long distances. Other than that, then yeah, holographic.

I can't stand the thermal though.

Y2Kev said:
Okay, so I got the thermal. You're saying I should stick with this?

I unlocked the thermal for my Scar last night and tried it out on Wasteland. It was perfect for that map, as long as you keep your distance. Especially if the other team camps in the middle of the cave in the center of the map.

I don't think I would use it all the time though. It sucks for close to medium range.

Dax01 said:
I hate the grenade launcher attachment.

I have a grenade happy custom with a SCAR w/ grenade launcher, a thumper and frag. Gives me 5 grenades to drop on people. Throw in scavenger and you have you have one blast happy custom.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So just finished the game on Veteran. Amazing, amazing experience. I have often bitched about enemy closets and tripwires, and this time Infinity Ward really has fixed the gameplay, putting MW2 Veteran right up there with CoD2 Veteran - a thoroughly enjoyable experience with enough challenge but no unfair levels (I'm looking at you CoD4 "No Fighting In The War Room" and CoD3 "Forest"). Also, now it doesn't seam that the enemies have a super sight or focus only on you.

Of course this time Veteran was quite a bit easier to me since I discovered auto-aiming for the first time as well as found out that my TV has put some 80ms lag to my game and switched to game mode

Quite an unbelievable improvement, had me glued on the sofa for hours and hours. The only really hard level was the one
where you need to protect the data in the house while enemies flood from all doors

Thanks Infinity Ward for making Veteran enjoyable again.

itsinmyveins

TheExodu5 said:
ACOG is useless because guns are too damned accurate at a long range with a red dot...or even iron sights.

You're definitely gonna be more accurate with ACOG over long range than with iron sights or red dot.

Chittagong said:
Quite an unbelievable improvement, had me glued on the sofa for hours and hours. The only really hard level was the one
where you need to protect the data in the house while enemies flood from all doors

Thanks Infinity Ward for making Veteran enjoyable again.

I surprisingly did that bit without dieng once while defending inside, the minute i had to leave though, then the rage kicked in :lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I dunno, ever since I switched from RDS to ACOG on my famas I seem to be doing better

divisionbyzorro said:
You hate using it, or hate being killed by it? I found it not nearly as easy to use as I thought it would be. I'm pretty much only using it to unlock the shotgun right now.
I hate being killed by it.

ZZMitch

divisionbyzorro said:
You hate using it, or hate being killed by it? I found it not nearly as easy to use as I thought it would be. I'm pretty much only using it to unlock the shotgun right now.

OMG dude, the shotgun attachment (at least for the SCAR) is great! It's all worth it in the end :p

I also love using the throwing knife and riot shield now lol. Great Combo.

ItsInMyVeins said:
You're definitely gonna be more accurate with ACOG over long range than with iron sights or red dot.

Barely, thats the reason most don't care about ACOG. The Red dot is designed for quicker sighting, it has less zoom but red dot is more accurate. The guns in the game are already crazy accurate when you aim and even when you burst or full auto so the ACOG really doesn't offer any benefit other than a bit of zoom. Though with the extra zoom the sight you lose speed of sighting in on target on the move.

You can snipe easily with just a red dot, the ACOG just doesn't offer much benefit.

Having the AC130 when everyone is inside with no glass windows on the roof is fucking painful. :(

I tried some Spec Ops solo on Veteran, too, which is absolutely impossible. Definitely need a mate to help me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
On HQ maps, the grenade launcher + thumper = easy, easy kills. Really, I don't know how anyone can use anything else on these maps. It's the easiest way to clean out the HQ room.

TheExodu5

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:

Maybe just on consoles because it fine tunes your aim. On the PC version, it's not hard to get near pixel-perfect precision at long ranges with a red dot sight.

If headshots registered properly and hitboxes weren't so messed up, maybe it'd be useful.

God dammit. A friend and I just tried to do a spec-ops mission, and every single time we would get a connection error during the game. Gave up after the third time it happened.

wtf. :(

itsinmyveins

BattleMonkey said:
Barely, thats the reason most don't care about ACOG. The Red dot is designed for quicker sighting, it has less zoom but red dot is more accurate. The guns in the game are already crazy accurate when you aim and even when you burst or full auto so the ACOG really doesn't offer any benefit other than a bit of zoom. Though with the extra zoom the sight you lose speed of sighting in on target on the move.

You can snipe easily with just a red dot, the ACOG just doesn't offer much benefit.

Dude, I know the difference between the red dot sight and the ACOG. It's not more accurate but it's easier to handle. In what sense could it be more accurate when you don't get the same amount of zoom nor the same precise hair cross?

It's definitely a trade off though, and in general the holo works better since most people move around a lot. In close areas the ACOG is fairly useless. But on these maps, where a lot of them are larger than in COD4, I find myself to use it from time to time.

TheExodu5 said:
Maybe just on consoles because it fine tunes your aim. On the PC version, it's not hard to get near pixel-perfect precision at long ranges with a red dot sight.

If headshots registered properly and hitboxes weren't so messed up, maybe it'd be useful.

Well, I can't say anything about that since I'm not playing the PC version. But like I say above, the RDS is generally the best option. But with the greater distances and larger areas in MW2, yeah, I use it more often compared to pretty much never in COD4.

I just wanna chime in here and say
the airport level
is probably one of the most brutal and awesome levels in gaming history.

Still doesnt beat COD4's "ghilled up" though, thats still my all time favourite.

But holy shit, it does actually put things in a new perspective for me, at least for the half way of the level.

Top Bottom