• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished the campaign on Hardened. The story is a disjointed mess but certain moments are presented well as usual. The entire first act blew dick though it did get a lot better...but for a short game(took me 5:50), a big chunk of it sucking makes the overall campaign a lot worse.

K2Valor said:
It's actually incredibly balanced. I mean, if you don't have a class with any anti-air missiles than you can't really blame the game. Everything is EASILY destroyed with a stinger missile.

Well, I can blame the game for starting me with a terrible AA. Getting spawn killed multiple times on shitty maps like wasteland where the camping guys are constantly getting legit harrier and choppers along with other people on the team getting carepackage harriers and choppers makes it and endless bullshit cycle that just keeps going even if you get one of them down. Only with the first AA you also need to do it twice, usually getting killed before you can even get a shot off right after spawn.

After playing around 10 hours of multi, I've come to the conclusion that the maps are shit, and killing my enjoyment of the game.

Every other change that has been made to multi I think is excellent, but goddamn these fucking maps are too goddamn big, with too many entry points, and have way too many places for snipers to cosy up to.

REV 09

Flunkie said:
So, is the MW2 Super Elite a Jasper/better than the Arcades?
my box died after playing MW2 for about an hour and a half, so i ended up picking up the MW2 LE 360...i really like it, and it's super quiet, but i don't know if it's better than the Arcades. I'm assuming that it's the same.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I found HQ Pro difficult. The cat-and-mouseness seriously suppressed by kill count. But not my death count :(

Mik2121

Yeah, the MP maps are (or at least, feel) much bigger than many of the COD4 ones. And they do indeed have many more entry points, to the point where you end up not knowing where the enemies could be in the whole level, but I don't think it's that bad. I'm enjoying many of the levels, and even more now with for example Highrise, after learning that you can climb through the crane on one of the sides and get to some hidden areas that many people isn't still aware of :D

jiffy38

nelkon and parker said:
After playing around 10 hours of multi, I've come to the conclusion that the maps are shit, and killing my enjoyment of the game.

Every other change that has been made to multi I think is excellent, but goddamn these fucking maps are too goddamn big, with too many entry points, and have way too many places for snipers to cosy up to.

God knows we wouldnt want snipers to actually be effective in this game, using layouts as similar to real world locations as possible....

I wonder if our armed forces complain about real world locations being too cosy for snipers, and unfair to fight in.......

Finally finished the single player campaign this morning. Is it a spoiler to say
that I'm kinda angry that the story isn't complete at the end? *Sigh* I guess we'll just have to wait for Modern Warfare 3 before we can finally put a bullet in Makarov's head.

Encountered my first EMP today. Holy shit that thing is annoying.

And is it really worth going for extended mags on my weapons? 40 wall kills with FMJ? Seriously? That'll never happen, and I'll just end up running around without the attachments I like...grr...it's the only thing stopping me from getting all M4A1 attachments. Maybe I should just move onto another rifle...

Mik2121

divisionbyzorro said:
Finally finished the single player campaign this morning. Is it a spoiler to say
that I'm kinda angry that the story isn't complete at the end? *Sigh* I guess we'll just have to wait for Modern Warfare 3 before we can finally put a bullet in Makarov's head.

Encountered my first EMP today. Holy shit that thing is annoying.

And is it really worth going for extended mags on my weapons? 40 wall kills with FMJ? Seriously? That'll never happen, and I'll just end up running around without the attachments I like...grr...it's the only thing stopping me from getting all M4A1 attachments. Maybe I should just move onto another rifle...
Nope, just use the Scavenger pro perk.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jiffy38 said:
God knows we wouldnt want snipers to actually be effective in this game, using layouts as similar to real world locations as possible....

I wonder if our armed forces complain about real world locations being too cosy for snipers, and unfair to fight in.......

:lol

I guess it's great they fucked up a VIDEOGAME with huge maps to let snipers do their thing. They were already effective before, but now these maps are all giant with a ton of spots to hide to specifically cater to campers, which isn't FUN, which is the point of a game. And our armed forces would probably complain about snipers dropping nukes on a smallscale fight.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
nelkon and parker said:

Thing is that most maps also have excellent paths you can use to get around the snipers. I always carry a smoke grenade just in case as well. I'm really liking most of the maps, with the exception of wasteland and afghan which haven't got as much shelter in the form of houses and etc to take cover behind. Other than on those two maps snipers have rarely been a problem for me.

AppleBlade

I've never gotten into a multiplayer shooter. (I've played plenty of shooters and but I just never got into the multiplayer because I tended to play these games after they've been out for awhile and needless to say I would get my arse handed to me fairly regularly.). Anyways I got CoD:MW 2 this week and promised myself this is the first shooter that I am going to get good at. Mainly, because I know the series is known for it's multiplayer and because most of my cousin/friends are getting the game as well.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through the single-player campaign and am thinking about jumping into the multiplayer this evening. Any advice for a newbie to multiplayer shooters?

feel

K2Valor said:
Am I the only one that likes the missions that are different from a standard FPS MORE than the ones that are just running through the town and shooting?

The first snow level was awesome. Sneaking through the blizzard with the heartbeat sensor, slowly taking out enemies. Most fun I've had so far. Using the predator missile in Virginia was also fun as hell. I've had the least fun so far running through Brazil or w/e and shooting people.
Yes. I want them to do a game that is almost 100% sneaking missions like these. They're incredible.

Mik2121

MrVargas said:
I've never gotten into a multiplayer shooter. (I've played plenty of shooters and but I just never got into the multiplayer because I tended to play these games after they've been out for awhile and needless to say I would get my arse handed to me fairly regularly.). Anyways I got CoD:MW 2 this week and promised myself this is the first shooter that I am going to get good at. Mainly, because I know the series is known for it's multiplayer and because most of my cousin/friends are getting the game as well.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through the single-player campaign and am thinking about jumping into the multiplayer this evening. Any advice for a newbie to multiplayer shooters?

Don't get frustrated if you get your ass kicked. Almost everybody has been through that, and you'll eventually be the one kicking asses ;)

Kweh

So how many people does it say are playing the PC version on average? I can't get to grips playing this in multi using a controller so am thinking about going back to what I'm used to.

Snowden

Banned
Picked this up cheap on 360 thanks to some accumulated gift cards. Intended to just breeze through the campaign and throw it on Amazon Marketplace, but I put some time into the multiplayer and am now hooked.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mik2121 said:
Nope, just use the Scavenger pro perk.

scavenger seems like such a waste of a perk. i'm pretty good with my ammo, and yeah, on a lengthy streak i may run out, but you just pick up a weapon from a corpse. no big deal.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So has anybody played even one game where the people were half as coordinated as this?

Team Deathmatch is a blast but the objective games are like the Twilight Zone. Nobody will do anything that threatens to interrupt their chance at a kill streak reward, even if it means losing the match. :lol

DarkJC

op_ivy said:
scavenger seems like such a waste of a perk. i'm pretty good with my ammo, and yeah, on a lengthy streak i may run out, but you just pick up a weapon from a corpse. no big deal.

It comes in handy if your gun has a small mag to begin with.

But yeah I'd say trying to get those 40 penetration kills is worth it if you want to use a different perk like slight of hand pro instead of scavenger pro.

REV 09

op_ivy said:
it's great if you have a rocket launcher as your secondary. That way you can continue replenishing rockets and continue swatting flies.

Don't forget that you get extra frags/flashbangs/etc from Scavenger as well. And as pointed out above, the extra Stinger missiles.

It really seems to piss the other team off when they call in a Heli or Harriers and 10 seconds later it's burning on the ground :lol

corpserot

The only thing that is really bothering me about MP are people just running around with a noobtube. Numerous times I've really felt cheated by that bullshit.

The first modern FPS that eliminates explosives will be my favorite game ever.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know what's weird? Say you fire a rocket at a helicopter and then die. The rocket disappears. It's as if you never fired it. That sucks. If I'm gonna give myself up for the team, I want my rocket to count :lol

Kweh said:
So how many people does it say are playing the PC version on average? I can't get to grips playing this in multi using a controller so am thinking about going back to what I'm used to.

I read there was 60k playing at peak time, so there's certainly a huge community. The most worrisome thing right now is that exploits exist, and it's up to IW.net to fix them. Even with moderated servers, CoD4 had more hackers than any recent FPS and now it may be even worse.

corpserot said:
The only thing that is really bothering me about MP are people just running around with a noobtube. Numerous times I've really felt cheated by that bullshit.

The first modern FPS that eliminates explosives will be my favorite game ever.
They're probably just trying to unlock the shotgun attachment.

Enosh

Kweh said:
peak numbers

81,827 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
48,485 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

that's number of users online at any given moment as seen here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Wait a fuckin minute. How the hell could the Russians attack the EAST coast undetected? The distance from Russia to New York going west is 5000 miles give or take .

Kweh said:

At 1 point it told me 100,000 were playing, but im not sure how truthfull that figure is as ive seen it fluctuate considerably (1 minute theres 60,000 playing, then 20,000, then 5000, all within about 15 minutes :lol ). Still shit loads of people playing either way, wont have any trouble finding a game.

diehard

Fleer
TacticalFox88 said:
Wait a fuckin minute. How the hell could the Russians attack the EAST coast undetected? The distance from Russia to New York going west is 5000 miles give or take .
Dude the russians couldn't attack the east border of Ukraine let alone the U.S.

Sushen

Currently, the guy with highest winning has 700+ streaks, and the guy with highest kill count has 420 streaks. I'm ready to call that bullshit. What do you guys think? I guess, at least, we don't have negative k/d ratio this time around.

Sushen

op_ivy said:
I completely disagree. SCAR-H with scavenger is one of the best combo in the game. With this, I don't even pay attention to guns that I come across.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Thing is that most maps also have excellent paths you can use to get around the snipers. I always carry a smoke grenade just in case as well. I'm really liking most of the maps, with the exception of wasteland and afghan which haven't got as much shelter in the form of houses and etc to take cover behind. Other than on those two maps snipers have rarely been a problem for me.
Wasteland and afghan are my least favorites too. Usually, when I get them, I jump out.

LowParry

Sushen said:
I completely disagree. SCAR-H with scavenger is one of the best combo in the game. With this, I don't even pay attention to guns that I come across.

Don't forget,you get to pick up other junk like grenades and claymores. Scavenger is boss.

punkypine

Sushen said:
Currently, the guy with highest winning has 700+ streaks, and the guy with highest kill count has 420 streaks. I'm ready to call that bullshit. What do you guys think? I guess, at least, we don't have negative k/d ratio this time around.
obviously fake

TacticalFox88 said:

They used one our downed satellites to hack an ACS which apparently holds the secrets to our entire defense surveillance system.

DoomGyver

PS3 invites still a problem for anyone else? The only way I can join friends is when they start matchmaking I go to my friends list press triangle and select join. But this way I'm not in their party and it's a 50/50 shot to even be on their team.

I have all PSN and COD ports open. Fix this shit IW.

fistfulofmetal said:
They used one our downed satellites to hack an ACS which apparently holds the secrets to our entire surveillance system.

And us Brits grabbing the phone and going "Bloody hell chaps, appears to be some ruffians coming your way".

Violater

NIN90 said:
balance > realism
but but bb
2rhmlwk.gif

Asked before with no answer so I'll ask again. Is there a list of maps that only appear in each playtype. I know that there is like only like 3 maps in Team Death Match since Estate comes up 80% of the time... but seriously, what maps show up in what game type? There are many but I only have the same few pop up each time.

Btw, IW if you are reading... the map selection is NOT random. QUIT MAKING ME PLAY ESTATE!!!!

Top Bottom