• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

DoomGyver

NIN90 said:
balance > realism
Actually I think the snipers got the short end of the stick this go around. Think about it.

SMGs and ARs Can hit targets FAR away because of how little recoil they have.

SMGs and ARs Have the advantage in close to midrange by a large margin. The way it should be.

Anything automatic needs to have a shorter effective distance because the spray and pray + aim assist is worse in MW2 than it was in MW1. and you can't spray and pray a sniper.

It takes 2 headshots with a silenced sniper to kill someone at ANY distance. and snipers have 1/3 the mag size.

X26

Banned
CcrooK said:
So with further testing, I gotta say SCAR > M16.

And TAR > both of them

Really though if there's one thing they did right is that they made it so there is no obvious weapon tiers. While most haven't unlocked all the guns yet, it still seem that compared to cod4 ther'es more variety in what people are using

JB1981

Full Recovery said:
PS3 invites still a problem for anyone else? The only way I can join friends is when they start matchmaking I go to my friends list press triangle and select join. But this way I'm not in their party and it's a 50/50 shot to even be on their team.

I have all PSN and COD ports open. Fix this shit IW.

no problems here ... there is a problem with matchmaking dropping people from your party though

edit: anybody down for some spec ops? PS3

jiien

CcrooK said:
Don't forget,you get to pick up other junk like grenades and claymores. Scavenger is boss.

I dunno. I like the idea of it, but I find it hard for me to go without Sleight of Hand Pro. It helps me win so many encounters because I have quicker ADS. On top of that, I actually remember several times in which I've been able to trade fire with someone, we both back off to reload, and I've reloaded faster, so I catch them in the act. It's perfect for running and gunning. It's habit for me to pick up guns of the people I kill to replace my secondary. I haven't unlocked anything for any of my secondaries despite being over level 40, simply because WaW has ingrained in me the need to pick up a second weapon as soon as possible.

divisionbyzorro said:
I guess we'll just have to wait for Modern Warfare 3 before we can finally put a bullet in Makarov's head.

Not exactly:
Campaign -> Select Mission -> Museum. You'll get your wish. And hit the button on the information desk if you want more good times.

Have fun :)

Rur0ni

Beat this game today. Wasn't really feeling it during the first couple levels. But then it really kicked off and I loved it.

I also like how you eventually are killing Americans. It kinda felt like evil Russian boogeyman for a minute there. The airport was fun too.

jiien

Full Recovery said:
Actually I think the snipers got the short end of the stick this go around. Think about it.

SMGs and ARs Have the advantage in close to midrange by a large margin. The way it should be.

Anything automatic needs to have a shorter effective distance because the spray and pray + aim assist is worse in MW2 than it was in MW1. and you can't spray and pray a sniper.

It takes 2 headshots with a silenced sniper to kill someone at ANY distance. and snipers have 1/3 the mag size.

I agree. Snipers really got shafted. And if you stick a silencer on your rifle, which should be a viable option, you never kill anything.

Although, I disagree somewhat about the SMGs. I also think they are pitiful. Their recoil is god awful compared to the assault rifles, and they come out even against the fully automatic ARs. It is so easy to use the SCAR as a long range weapon, and hip fire (with Steady Aim) for close range encounters. It does that much damage. I think the only way for an SMG to outclass an AR (and we're only talking really close range here, because at a distance the AR will beat out the SMG every single time) is to have the FMJ and Rapid Fire attachments, and Stopping Power Pro. Otherwise, I've beaten plenty of SMG users with my SCAR. Which is pretty silly, IMO.

I've mentioned this before, but that is one thing I really dislike about MW2 (despite it making me powerful). In WaW, the disparity between SMGs and rifles (or even LMGs/HMGs) was very clear, but here, where there should be a larger difference, there isn't quite one.

Edit: Speaking of snipers, it is really, really stupid that you have to use the ACOG to unlock the thermal.

Yeah I'd like to know which maps are available for each game type of match type too. Rust would be a perfect Shipment style map but it never comes up in domination.

Yeef

Full Recovery said:

I haven't done any sniping in MW2 yet, but I have to disagree on the close range advantage thing. Since now you have a wide variety of secondary weapons instead of just pistols you shouldn't really have any problem (I beat out Rifle users nine times out of 10 with the A-22 or whatever the second shotgun is called).

GillianSeed79 said:
Also I too feel like SMG's were nerfed a little. I get more kills from my FAMAS than P90, though my friend swears by the UMP for some reason.
I tend to prefer close range combat, so I've always been a SMG/Shotgun kind of guy. At first I felt like the SMGs in MW2 weren't as good as what I remembered in MW1, but then I realized that it's mainly because I was so used to the Skorpion (really disappointed tha tit's not in MW2) and also not used to the new perk changes. Once I became accustomed to them I've done fine with the new SMGs.

Love hardcore. But Ninja Pro(Name doesn't appear above you and no cross hair in HCTDM) perk is causing my team mates to kill me more often.

so
is there any benefit to the museum, obviously you hit the button and get rushed, but if you kill all of the enemies in the room you hear something go off, like a jet engine, I was just wondering if there was some sort of extra unlockable after that by beating both rooms in a certain order or anything

GodfatherX said:
so
is there any benefit to the museum, obviously you hit the button and get rushed, but if you kill all of the enemies in the room you hear something go off, like a jet engine, I was just wondering if there was some sort of extra unlockable after that by beating both rooms in a certain order or anything

Wait, you can do things in the credits? I just let them roll. Sonnovabitch.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
GillianSeed79 said:
Also I too feel like SMG's were nerfed a little. I get more kills from my FAMAS than P90, though my friend swears by the UMP for some reason.

Out of all the weapons, I've had the most success with the ump.

GodfatherX said:
not in the credits, but go to mission select and you will see it

So glad its in there, and not just for the easter egg quality of it all. Its a handy place to test the various weapons out in a controlled environment. I found a good deal out from running different shot spread tests.

Hyunkel6

commish said:
Out of all the weapons, I've had the most success with the ump.

Same here. When I use rapid fire, marathon, stopping power and steady aim with it, I can get around 25-30 kills on Rust and Scrapyard. :D

Sean

Banned
I'm about to do a quick run through the levels and hunt for enemy intel/laptop things. Can you quit out right after you get them or do you have to finish the entire level for it to count?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Sean said:
I'm about to do a quick run through the levels and hunt for enemy intel/laptop things. Can you quit out right after you get them or do you have to finish the entire level for it to count?
You can just quit right after.

J-Rzez

Raxus said:
Trying to get the nuke emblem is killing my KD and win ratio.

Don't feel bad. I was sitting at 24 kills 4 times now. I gave up and removed it, and went for the more obtainable varieties.

nelkon and parker said:
After playing around 10 hours of multi, I've come to the conclusion that the maps are shit, and killing my enjoyment of the game.

Every other change that has been made to multi I think is excellent, but goddamn these fucking maps are too goddamn big, with too many entry points, and have way too many places for snipers to cosy up to.

I agree. In COD4 most of the maps had natural choke points where some decent skirmishes could take place, but still have enough side-routes that a determined flanker could get some easy kills. In MW2 there are nooks, crannies, windows, doors, and other such holes EVERYWHERE. It's getting tedious.

J-Rzez

Full Recovery said:

Yo. This is a CoD game. What are you expecting? They should just remove the sniper rifles, and those two shitty sniping maps and be done with it. Sniping down hallways in a building is as good as sniping gets here.

Just do what these people are doing now, get a P90, put on an acog, and snipe away across the map.

Sean

Banned
vatstep said:
You can just quit right after.

Thanks.

Is there no way to see which intel you've already collected from the main menu or anything? I have to start each level and check the pause menu?

Sushen

Full Recovery said:

I have a simple answer for you. If you think, snipers got the short end of the stick, DONT BE A SNIPER with silencer, then. I don't like snipers in general because rarely they're team players.

j-wood

I'm thinking about picking up the PS3 version tonight. Any problems I should know of before hand or is the game pretty good (frame rate, matchmaking problems, ect)?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so for all the multi pros, give us noobs some tips.

I'm decent at halo but this game is 'walk, who's that, oh I'm staring at the sky again'

sometimes I'm following a team mate who seems to know what he's doing and I just get killed without seeing SHIT. What do you guys who are good at this do when you start a round? What should I be looking for? what weapons are good, should I ever use the secondary

and so on and so forth. This game SP is pretty fun if you've never played these games before, but the learning curve for this in multi is like playing big blue at fucking chess on your first go.

gibration

h4k said:
Anyone know how to get the nuke emblem? I got the nuke once, but I didn't get the emblem.
You are a beast at this game. Everytime we played you went with like a 2.0 K/D. We need to play again, I believe we made a good team even though we made little communication.

j-wood said:
I'm thinking about picking up the PS3 version tonight. Any problems I should know of before hand or is the game pretty good (frame rate, matchmaking problems, ect)?

It's pretty ugly on PS3. But that's probably just because I went into it shortly after playing the PC version.

so when i call an emergency drop, can i pick each thing up and then use them? or do i have to take one, use it, take another, use it, ect. i haven't thought to try whenever i get them, i just been taking a good one and leaving the rest for my team.

snack

gibration said:
You are a beast at this game. Everytime we played you went with like a 2.0 K/D. We need to play again, I believe we made a good team even though we made little communication.

You're godlike since you have a better K/D ratio than me. :D

Yeah, we did make a pretty good team. We didn't communicate much but our team racked up a lot of kills.

Can you place a Claymore then use the Scavenger perk to get another one(possibly multiple?) or do you have to wait until the first one blows up?

ExtraKr1spy said:
Love using the Sentry as a Trap.

Toss the drop out in an open area and just pick off enemies when they try to get it.

Sentry's are only traps for noobs. Either flash bang it then knife it to disable it or run up with a shield and melee it. Done. Also, myself and all my friends assume that all unattained enemy crates are traps and treat them as such. A real crate won't sit there for very long.

Eric WK

catfish said:
so for all the multi pros, give us noobs some tips.

Map control and awareness. Know what parts of the map are the best to hold, control the enemy spawns and be patient. Don't force it.

That's the best I can do.

Top Bottom