• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

40 hours in impressions (yes 40 hours in 5 days, hint: this game is good):

Singleplayer:
8/10.
Some great set-pieces, let's say it right off the bat: if I didn't play Uncharted 2 last month, this game would get a 9/10. I simply can't review the game in a vacuum. Every chase sequence, I feel like Uncharted 2 did it better. (except the
favela rooftop chase, that was Mirror Edge'esque badass
. The graphics are much improved over CoD4. There is so much more SHIT going on in this game; it actually feels like a living, breathing world. The AI is still fairly mediocre; even on Veteran. Also speaking to Vet, I feel like the chokepoints are much more forgiving than CoD4 (aka I'm having an easier time on MW2 Vet than CoD4 Vet). The music, as I mentioned before is pretty 'F YEAH AMERICA' and saccharine, they really needed to scale it back a bit IMO. The story is completely incoherent and dumb but hey I didn't play it for that. The amount of variety is nice, even if there's isn't one HOLY SHIT AC-130 level in this game, it's still a nice package. Yes, it's only 5 hours long but I'm playing it through twice for intel and difficulty reasons so meh.

Spec-Ops:
9/10.
Play this on Veteran. It's fucking intense, if obnoxiously difficult. The missions where you and your team-mate split up (a big TWO of them) are extremely fun. Spec-ops is not at all an after-thought, they put a lot of effort into it and I really enjoy them with a coop friend. That being said, I would not play them alone.

Multiplayer
10/10
Anyone calling this an upgrade over CoD4 is making an egregious mistake. This MP experience is completey different from the previous title. First off, the levels feel fucking three dimensional compared to CoD4's.. so much verticality and non-linearlity, so many rooftops, ladders, windows, etc. It's going to be crazy hard to learn these maps. Overall, I'd say 10 out of 15 or so Hardcore TDM maps are great. The other 5 not so much (Wasteland, Estate, etc.) The perk system is substantially improved; bling for example - the fact that you can have 2 attachments at once completely changes the dynamic of MP.
Finally, the game just feels more balanced and harder to master. Yes, there are some cheap deaths by AC-130 and Chopper Gunner (the boxes and the randomness factor are another great new feat in MP) BUT getting killstreaks up is much more difficult to obtain than in CoD4. I had a 2.5 K/D in CoD4.. here? 1.5. All these things combine to make the MP game incredibly rewarding and addictive.

Overall?
9.5. Not my GOTY, but #2 for sure.

The muzzle climb on the Intervention is a big disappointment. I wanted to use another sniper rifle other than the Barrett for this game, but im back to using that one. I wish the R700 was in this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok... so... I just played the 'controversial' mission. All I have to say is WTF. I know it's been discussed to death in here. But seriously why did IW put this in? I don't understand what the point is.

I didn't feel good while playing that mission. Perhaps that was the feeling it was meant to induce? Personally I just think it was highly unnecessary. I'm not offended easily but this mission kinda went over the top.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RbBrdMan said:
Ok... so... I just played the 'controversial' mission. All I have to say is WTF. I know it's been discussed to death in here. But seriously why did IW put this in? I don't understand what the point is.

I didn't feel good while playing that mission. Perhaps that was the feeling it was meant to induce? Personally I just think it was highly unnecessary. I'm not offended easily but this mission kinda went over the top.

Wow I didn't feel anything when doing that :lol . I have heard people said the same. Maybe I am just a cold motherfucker... which I know I am.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Strider2K99 said:
I used Hardline with my LMG class since, in general, LMGs are powerful enough that Stopping Power isn't really necessary.

Well, this sure was a crappy setup, I tried LMG with Grip+Holographic, Hardline and Steady Aim.

Came to conclusion that LMG's without Lightweight/Sleight of Hand are fucking shit.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Relix said:
Wow I didn't feel anything when doing that :lol . I have heard people said the same. Maybe I am just a cold motherfucker... which I know I am.
I thought I would feel something but my friends were over and we just laughed as I used a grenade launcher instead of the actual gun. :\

kuYuri

Osaka said:
Well, this sure was a crappy setup, I tried LMG with Grip+Holographic, Hardline and Steady Aim.

Came to conclusion that LMG's without Lightweight/Sleight of Hand are fucking shit.

Are you trying to run and gun? Don't run and gun with an LMG... it's not worth it and you'll get killed against ARs and SMGs. You can stick with Sleight if you want.

Also, don't use Steady Aim with LMGs.

Snowden

Banned
RbBrdMan said:

You weren't supposed to feel good. It is not mandatory that every part of a game make you feel awesome. IW took a ham-handed approach, but there is no doubt that games are capable of inducing the same feelings of revulsion as movies and books.

Dang.. I love IGN's boards:

the game is pretty good but i think they kinda over did it, the multiplayer is weak, there no trophies for online with is alright i guess, kinda boring to play it gets old... the campain is fucking insanely hard even on regular, and the special ops is pretty gay if you ask me its weak and just plane boring, they shpuld of had alien invaders or some shit

That right there is some true insight, folks.

Fuck that its a video game lol. Not only did I knife the business man crawling on the ground but I teabagged the shit out of him after. :lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Snowden said:
You weren't supposed to feel good. It is not mandatory that every part of a game make you feel awesome. IW took a ham-handed approach, but there is no doubt that games are capable of inducing the same feelings of revulsion as movies and books.

I realize it was the intention of IW to have you feel like a dirt bag (save K2 and Relix). I guess because I'm not finished with the game I don't yet see the relevance. I just hope that through the course of the rest of the story my actions in that mission are somehow justified. Otherwise I'll forever link that mission to the exact time IW bent over and took an order from Kotick to put it in. Hell Kotick probably wanted it to be puppies and kittens. :lol

Yeef

While, I don't mind the killstreak bonuses in Deathmatch, I think they really detract from the objective games. It seems like every objective game I play, whoever gets a powerful killstreak item first ends up winning. It takes the focus off of the objective and makes it more like Deathmatch+.

Mikey Jr.

Tzeentch said:
Scramber sucks, especially when you only have it to grind it to Pro because you are a completionist :(

So you aren't going to prestige?

Also, can anyone confirm if going prestige does give you an extra class slot?

kuYuri

MrVargas said:
Dumb question but how do I play unranked multiplayer matches and do you still get XP in unranked games?

The only "unranked" games are private games you make and invite people into. There are no unranked playlists.

You do not gain XP in these private games.

ant_

MrVargas said:
Dumb question but how do I play unranked multiplayer matches and do you still get XP in unranked games?
The only ranking in Modern Warfare 2 is experience. You can't lose your level. Everything is ranked besides private games.

AppleBlade

Strider2K99 said:
The only "unranked" games are private games you make and invite people into. There are no unranked playlists.

You do not gain XP in these private games.
Crap. Since this is going to be the first multiplayer shooter I ever play, it's inevitable that I am going to have a horrible record. Anyway, around that? Can you clear your stats and start over again?

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeef said:
While, I don't mind the killstreak bonuses in Deathmatch, I think they really detract from the objective games. It seems like every objective game I play, whoever gets a powerful killstreak item first ends up winning. It takes the focus off of the objective and makes it more like Deathmatch+.

I agree. Exactly why the PC version needs dedicated servers so that servers can turn off Killstreaks for the objective game types.

Also, S&D is terribly, terribly balanced. The maps are not made for this. I played 4 times last night, and every single time, the defenders won the rounds. Always went 3-3 with the defense winning in overtime.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Strider2K99 said:
Are you trying to run and gun? Don't run and gun with an LMG... it's not worth it and you'll get killed against ARs and SMGs. You can stick with Sleight if you want.

Also, don't use Steady Aim with LMGs.

No, I'm trying to get into position with the LMG to do something. Can't defend myself at all without proper accuracy and speed in close combat.

And I'm sorry, but there's really nothing better for any class from the green perks than Steady Aim, IMHO. I find Ninja completely useless. Big scale TDM's and Dominations which I play are such a chaos anyway that you can't hear anyone's footsteps.

JB1981

Very surprised by how much I have enjoyed playing through the single player campaign. Some of the set pieces are jaw-dropping, in both their visual and emotional impact. IW really knows how to manipulate the emotions (with Zimmer's score supporting the onscreen action very well).

I think I am almost finished with the game and I have found as the game progressed it just kept raising the stakes and pushing the envelope. I'd say that these guys have pretty much delivered. I'm not crazy about the brainless AI but I have to say I don't think any other FPS franchise has stirred me up in quite this way .... some of the imagery hit me really hard. And again, the MP is just addicting as all hell.

ant_

MrVargas said:
Crap. Since this is going to be the first multiplayer shooter I ever play, it's inevitable that I am going to have a horrible record. Anyway, around that? Can you clear your stats and start over again?
We all started out bad. Don't worry about your stats, it's not like Infinity Ward helps you track them anyways. Very few stats are actually tracked

kuYuri

Osaka said:
No, I'm trying to get into position with the LMG to do something. Can't defend myself at all without proper accuracy and speed in close combat.

And I'm sorry, but there's really nothing better for any class from the green perks than Steady Aim, IMHO. I find Ninja completely useless. Big scale TDM's and Dominations which I play are such a chaos anyway that you can't hear anyone's footsteps.

Yeah, there really isn't much for Tier 3 Perks, I'm personally using Commando Pro at the moment.

You really don't want to be caught in close combat with an LMG class, so besides having a shotgun or something as secondary, I say just stick with teammates and have them assist you.

These are just my own thoughts and advice, they don't always work for everyone. :p

h4k said:
Anyone know how to get the nuke emblem? I got the nuke once, but I didn't get the emblem.
I've got the nuke emblem, but I haven't nuked anything yet. Radioactive symbol right?

Full Recovery said:
I just got an "All Your Base" title going 32-7 and killing everyone on the other team at least 4 times.
I have that. I can't help but rock it.:lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Strider2K99 said:
These are just my own thoughts and advice, they don't always work for everyone. :p

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with my M16 build or some spray&pray build to rack up those extra kills I need without hardline :lol

Chrange

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Dang.. I love IGN's boards:

That right there is some true insight, folks.

The game is too hard? Wow, I beat it on Veteran without breaking a sweat. I must have gotten INSANELY good since Modern Warfare!

It's still fun to put it on the easiest difficulty and just wade in with the Striker blasting :lol

bdouble

LabouredSubterfuge said:
This is how I roll. It keeps MP a lot fresher if you just force yourself out of the comfort zone and change up your load-out. K/D ratio be damned. :D
Same here. I do throw in an smg class everyonce in a while for certain maps. Just about finished unlocking everything for the M4. Might go LMG next.

Chrange said:
The game is too hard? Wow, I beat it on Veteran without breaking a sweat. I must have gotten INSANELY good since Modern Warfare!

It's still fun to put it on the easiest difficulty and just wade in with the Striker blasting :lol

Nah.. I'm pretty sure the kid just sucks at the game as much as he does at writing.

Chrange said:

Did you have trouble beating Modern Warfare?

I'm fucking terrible at this game but I'm gonna go through and beat it again on Hardened. I die ALL the fucking time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Playing this game gives me bloodshot eyes...I think it's because I don't blink while playing...

Tigel

Skiptastic said:
I'm fucking terrible at this game but I'm gonna go through and beat it again on Hardened. I die ALL the fucking time.

Yeah, same here. Some times I don't even know where the hell I'm being shot from. And the blood effect all over the screen doesn't help either.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If any PS3 players need a spec ops partner in the next couple hours, find me at Snuggler86. Damn the lack of matchmaking...

Sushen

got2bekidding said:
I'm sure all of you on the 360 side can see the obvious cheaters on the top of the kills leaderboard. :lol
I thought those cheaters are rather dumb; 400 kill streaks and 700 winning streaks? Almost sounds like they have never played the game, or wants I-m-a-dumb-ass sign on their neck. Sure I bowl 500.

Saiyu

I love hardline, got it on my P90 with rapid fire. It's also good on the FAMAS when I'm more in a camping mood, but it can get really frustrating when playing in Yank rooms.

Man I'm doing spec ops with my friend on veteran. The breach and clear mission is a pain in the ass. Eventually we tried to just muscle through it and eventually got it. Then we noticed Infinity Wards best time. :(

I'm on my second play through now, and a lot more of the story makes sense, not to say that it is told well, because I still think the story presentation is complete shit.

I'm also enjoying
the DC missions
a hell of a lot more this time around for some reason

MrPliskin

Banned
MrPliskin said:
So I'm playing SP, and for whatever reason I can't freaking lock on to this damn vehicle with a stinger. WTF am I doing wrong?

Quoted. Still stuck here. I know I'm supposed to shoot the vehicles with the Stinger, but I can't. Assistance?

Edit: To be clear, I aim at the vehicle, and when I try to fire it says "Must be locked on". How in the hell do I lock on?

Top Bottom