• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Jonsoncao

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
I frickin' suck at this game. .92 K/D ratio :-( .

I need some tips to consistently stay above 1-1 and get big kill streaks. I never camp however.

Is there any way to do well without camping? I've tried ghosting (Ninja Pro, Cold Blooded Pro, Bling Pro, P90 + RDS + Silencer), and I can't seem to fend for myself.

As a more Halo/Quake gamer than CoD gamer
I sucked at my first 20sth matches and got K/D ratio like 0.3 :lol
then I realize the strategy using here is totally different from Halo, even a noob like me can pwn some more noobish noobs(since there are nearly 4m ppl on the leaderboard, I assume there should be many out there) :lol
and now my K/D ratio is 1.1(K 11XX/ D 9XX)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jonsoncao said:
then I realize the strategy using here is totally different from Halo, even a noob like me can pwn some more noobish noobs(since there are nearly 4m ppl on the leaderboard, I assume there should be many out there) :lol

right now I'm you before realising the strategy. so what is it?!

Zinthar

I actually played very little of CoD4 multiplayer, but am loving MW2's and can't get enough. However, with no real CoD4 experience, the sheer amount of different options for load-outs is overwhelming.

Anyway, for those with a lot of experience with the game, what are your favorite fun/useful custom class combos?

BTW, feel free to add me on XBL, I always use the headset and am a good teammate, GT: Zinthar.

Jonsoncao said:

it's better than trying to play MW2 like Uncharted 2 :lol.

Zinthar said:
Anyway, for those with a lot of experience with the game, what are your favorite fun/useful custom class combos?

UMP w/ Red Dot
.44 Magnum
Marathon
Cold Blooded
Commando

Scar w/ anything
Stinger
Scavenger
Cold Blooded
Steady Aim

These are my go to classes, and I usually do VERY well with them. 1st or 2nd place in pretty much every match. Getting off of the radar, and off of the air support screen is a blessing. Not only do you drive people bonkers, but you also get to actually take out the air support before they see you. Even if the flares make the first Stinger miss, the second one is a guarantee. Opposing air support never lasts more than 20 seconds around me.

My KD is at 1.28 right now. Im pretty satisfied with it I guess. Im just very inconsistent when it comes to these games. Some matches i'll go 4-13 and then the very next one i'll do 19-3 or something. :lol

DMeisterJ said:
Fucking Campers.

Fucking Snipers

Fucking Noob Tubes

Fuck them all up the fucking ass. :/

I put quite a lot of hours in the game so far. I moved directly from COD4, never played World At War. I find this game a lot different, atleast the way people play it. I find a lot of people posting up in a spot either on the rooftops, windows or something, camping is crazy so far.

I am not liking the way online is so far, after playing COD4 so much, and how much I liked it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
catfish said:
right now I'm you before realising the strategy. so what is it?!

My strategy is: choose your gun and perks wisely

me was doing like Bling+Cold Blooded+Ninja
add heartbeat sensor+red dot scope/holographic scope to the primary weapon
add FMJ and dual wielding to the secondary weapon
then just go around to find some to kill :D
switch to your aim sight frequently while trying to pass by the roads/corners/stairs etc

For TDM my K/D usually is >3, Domination or CTF I cant get a K/D that high though

sweetvar26 said:
I am not liking the way online is so far, after playing COD4 so much, and how much I liked it.

Stick with it. Although I stand by my thoughts that the maps are pretty meh, the game is great. It does feel kinda different compared to CoD4 due to the maps, and people camp like crazy because of it, but use a stealthy class, and you can absolutely destroy in this game, even more so than CoD4.

rodvik

mYm|17| said:
the FAL is my new fav weapon

i've been doing so bad with the other weapons then I change to this and i start doing better

So happy, I unlocked it tonight. I played two matches with it , the .44 backing me up. I felt like a bad ass. I could feel the fear in the opposition, calm measured single shots from the rifle then use the magnum inside buildings. For some reason* their automatic fire was pinging left and right around me then "pow" my FAL took another one down.

As the second match finished as coincidence would have it I unlocked "Omnipotent" at the end of it. I quit right there on the high...... before I started getting slaughtered killing my buzz :)

*ok it was luck, but damn it felt cool :)

BIVIANO!

freitax said:
40% of my games I have 2 bars, it's impossible to play. I'm thinking to go back to cod4.
Every game I've played has been 1 bar. It gets extremely frustrating watching the kill cam during a one on one situation and see that you didn't even get a shot off when you know you were shooting at their head for 2 seconds.

aj2good4you2 said:
really think the some of the killstreaks need a nerf , already got 7 nukes just tonight whoring the chopper gunner.i thought nukes were supposed to be rare but apparently not :lol

7 Nukes? What the hell? I want to play in your rooms. I have barely seen 5 Chopper Gunners let alone 7 TACTICAL FREAKIN' NUKES. Do people NOT shoot your air support down?

My biggest gripe with online at the moment is the lack of hardcore modes. Why do they always insist on only having a few modes with hardcore? They need two separate playlists with all the same modes but one for normal and one for hardcore.

rodvik said:
So happy, I unlocked it tonight. I played two matches with it , the .44 backing me up. I felt like a bad ass. I could feel the fear in the opposition, calm measured single shots from the rifle then use the magnum inside buildings. For some reason* their automatic fire was pinging left and right around me then "pow" my FAL took another one down.

As the second match finished as coincidence would have it I unlocked "Omnipotent" at the end of it. I quit right there on the high...... before I started getting slaughtered killing my buzz :)

*ok it was luck, but damn it felt cool :)

I was waiting so long for the M16, unlocked the FAL, fell in love. I dominate with that thing. Even w/ close combat, around corners, etc. I can't even be bothered to use the M16 now that I have it.

Although I've been doing terrible the last couple days, I already have tons of awesome mp memories. A couple nights back I was the last alive in a game of S&D, the enemy had a UAV. I took one out close range with a sniper, then whipped out my AA-12 and gunned down 3 more and finally finished off the last one with a throwing knife, all within 15 seconds. Lots of "what the hell was that" going around afterwards lol.

And the RIOT SHIELD! Played a couple game with 80% of players using the riot shield. It leads to so many hilarious encounters. I've pissed off a ridiculous amount of players with that thing. I recommend everyone try it, and don't worry about your K/D.

What kind of killstreak rewards are popular right now?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I hope they add a Team Tactical for first person. It's not too important really, but I'd like to mix up game modes without having to decide what to play or change every few games. And third person is shit on a stick.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Net_Wrecker said:
Stick with it. Although I stand by my thoughts that the maps are pretty meh, the game is great. It does feel kinda different compared to CoD4 due to the maps, and people camp like crazy because of it, but use a stealthy class, and you can absolutely destroy in this game, even more so than CoD4.

I dunno, the maps are seriously hampering my enjoyment with this so far. I like highrise and underpass, skidrow is okay, terminal seems good but I pretty much never play it. There's also a map similar to skidrow I like but I can't remember the name. The rest to me are either meh or outright bad...I've only played this for 3-4 days now and already quit if I get a match in wasteland, derail, or estate--which is a lot, way more than I get put into the maps I want to actually be in.

I also still feel like starting players are at a HUGE disadvantage now, since others will already have stuff like heartbeat monitors, UAV can't track people with coldblooded, you get fucked for free by all the killstreaks because the starting AA is trash, etc. I got the heartbeat monitor for the SCAR and have been doing a lot better already, I can tell if I keep pushing on to get cold blooded I'll start doing even better on top of that, since I always play more of a lone wolf that just roams around tracking enemies to kill. But I find it hard to get motivated when I am rarely getting into maps I actually like.

Tkawsome said:
:lol

That could have been me if you were playing on PS3 tonight. A couple of my friends and I all used shields and had a blast. One of the high points was when two enemies on a nearby roof just stopped and starred at me since shooting wasn't doing anything. They just kept looking at me as one of my teammates slowly snuck up the building and killed them both. It was great.

Haha, nah, I'm on 360. A lot of people don't seem to know what to actually do, and I'm not too good at it either. Most just run in fear for some reason, I'll atleast toss a grenade or aim near the feet/side if they turn a little bit. I also see people just concentrate all of their gunfire on people with the shields hoping it'll work.

Graf Nudu said:
How does it make sense to get a Stealth Bomber just for a few kills?

Yeah, I got smacked by an EMP earlier today and no one on the other team had over 10 kills, and none of them were even at 0 deaths. I never knew you could get that from the carepack before that.

I'd atleast say the nuke wouldn't happen since it ends the game, but the EMP seems a lot rarer to get from it so maybe it might happen with an incredibly slim chance.

J-Rzez

Didn't get, nor see the Javelin in use yet. Is it more effective against those annoying big planes/chopper gunner than the stinger or something?

J-Rzez said:
Didn't get, nor see the Javelin in use yet. Is it more effective against those annoying big planes/chopper gunner than the stinger or something?

The Stinger is already super effective against air support. I don't have the Javelin yet, but I doubt it's any better.

The difference is that the Javelin can be used to launch in the air against air support, OR you can launch it in the air, and send it back towards the ground like a mini Predator Missile.

Papercuts said:
I dunno, the maps are seriously hampering my enjoyment with this so far. I like highrise and underpass, skidrow is okay, terminal seems good but I pretty much never play it. There's also a map similar to skidrow I like but I can't remember the name. The rest to me are either meh or outright bad...I've only played this for 3-4 days now and already quit if I get a match in wasteland, derail, or estate--which is a lot, way more than I get put into the maps I want to actually be in.

I also still feel like starting players are at a HUGE disadvantage now, since others will already have stuff like heartbeat monitors, UAV can't track people with coldblooded, you get fucked for free by all the killstreaks because the starting AA is trash, etc. I got the heartbeat monitor for the SCAR and have been doing a lot better already, I can tell if I keep pushing on to get cold blooded I'll start doing even better on top of that, since I always play more of a lone wolf that just roams around tracking enemies to kill. But I find it hard to get motivated when I am rarely getting into maps I actually like.

Starting players DO have a HUGE disadvantage, especially against air support. The thought of having to go through the first 29 levels in prestige isn't one that I like right now. But trust me when I say this: Keep playing. Once you get used to the maps, whether or not you enjoy them, and once you hit level 30, you will be having a better time. Cold Blooded, and the Stinger Launcher are really what have made this game shine like CoD4 did for me.

rush777

Papercuts said:
A single camper/sniper, sure. A team of them? Not really. Nobody is complaining about a single guy in a random room getting a cheap kill off of you, it's an entire team full of random encounters like that.

Don't know what to tell you the game shows you the exact location of your killer so you should be able to find another route to their location even if there are several camping in the same place. Or you could let them come to you.

I will agree with you on the maps though they have been pretty disappointing thus far.

Papercuts said:
I have got the Heart beat tracking and Coldblooded. Bot I don't use them. Come get me bitches, you still have to draw faster. I still end in the top 3 almost every game. I rarely get more than 6 killstreaks but thats because I never play Team Deatchmatch. Only objective-based gameplay. You K/D doesn't matter then. Just get the job done.
I often draw fire so my team mates can see where the enemy are and kill them. I W/L ratio is pretty good.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Anyone who wants to play Special Ops hit me a message on Xbox Live (gamertag same as username). I'll be playing SP on Veteran in the meantime, at least for a little while.

Tenkai Star said:
I have got the Heart beat tracking and Coldblooded. Bot I don't use them. Come get me bitches, you still have to draw faster. I still end in the top 3 almost every game. I rarely get more than 6 killstreaks but thats because I never play Team Deatchmatch. Only objective-based gameplay. You K/D doesn't matter then. Just get the job done.
I often draw fire so my team mates can see where the enemy are and kill them. I W/L ratio is pretty good.

Objective games, and Team Deathmatch are completely different beasts. The stuff I mentioned was specifically for Team Deathmatch as I rarely ever play objective based games types. Cold Blooded, and the Heartbeat sensor are very dominant in a gametype where you're focusing on killing the other team more than they kill you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow.

Second Sun has probably some of the best lighting effects i've seen in a video game till date, so awesome.

Net_Wrecker said:
Objective games, and Team Deathmatch are completely different beats. The stuff I mentioned was specifically for Team Deathmatch as I rarely ever play objective based games types. Cold Blooded, and the Heartbeat sensor are very dominant in a gametype where you're focusing on killing the other team more than they kill you.
Well, it do happens that I play TDM cause my friend plays it cause he can't cooperate if his life depends on it. He is a camping sniper. Still top 3 most of the time. Hell I don't even use grenades. I have that spawnpoint thing for objectives and never switch for TDM.
On my own I never play TDM.

Went 65-5 on Highrise. I had no idea I was doing so well, I saw the end screen and was like holy shit. Also had a 24-0 game on Afghan where I was running around with the auto-pistol most the game.

I'm running Harrier - Chopper Gunner and Care Package or whatever I feel like swapping out. I tell you what, the packages really add a layer of total frustration to the game. Getting a fucking predator missile from a crate should not overwrite a Harrier drop. So pissed I couldn't use which one I wanted. And predator would be so much better if you can cancel out of it and just let the thing fall.

Harrier is fucking awesome though. It's almost impossible not to get to 11 from it.

I've given up on unlocking all the shit. Extended mags is a sick joke. The whole leveling system seems to have been completely phoned in this year. Who the fuck wants to use a grenade launcher? Wants to stick an ACOG on a fucking sniper? 40 goddamn penetration kills? Are you joking? I can't get myself to use anything but silencer + red dot.

Tenkai Star said:
Well, it do happens that I play TDM cause my friend plays it cause he can't cooperate if his life depends on it. He is a camping sniper. Still top 3 most of the time. Hell I don't even use grenades. I have that spawnpoint thing for objectives and never switch for TDM.
On my own I never play TDM.

Well yeah, you can still be a great player in TDM without the aforementioned items, but they help a ton, especially for someone who feels that he could be doing better.

Son of Godzilla said:
And predator would be so much better if you can cancel out of it and just let the thing fall.

Does nobody realize you can speed up the Predator missile by hitting the right trigger? I can't count how many killcams I've seen where a sped up missile could've caught 2 or more extra players that made it into a building.

Son of Godzilla said:
I'm running Harrier - Chopper Gunner and Care Package or whatever I feel like swapping out. I tell you what, the packages really add a layer of total frustration to the game. Getting a fucking predator missile from a crate should not overwrite a Harrier drop. So pissed I couldn't use which one I wanted. And predator would be so much better if you can cancel out of it and just let the thing fall.

You can still use your Harrier after you've used your Predator, though? What's the problem?

Net_Wrecker said:
Does nobody realize you can speed up the Predator missile by hitting the right trigger? I can't count how many killcams I've seen where a sped up missile could've caught 2 or more extra players that made it into a building.
Why on earth would anyone know that!

You can still use your Harrier after you've used your Predator, though? What's the problem?
Just that the predator is a sure fire way to get your ass killed when an airstrike could save it. It's not that big a deal, I was just assuming that the streaks would stick to strict heirarchy instead of what order you last got em. Cancelling out would still be nice though.

Rented MW2. Finished the campaign. It took me 4 hours and 56 minutes. I have to say I'm not all that blown away.

The ending was completely lame and so anti climatic with the whole knife sequence. Yay, the General randomly becomes a bad guy.

The airport level was a complete waste since Malkalov was never even touched upon again.

Act 2 had some great levels. The shopping mall fight, the Gulag, and Washington DC. Act 3 was terrible. Malkalov's safe house, the boneyard.

The credits were a letdown. a museum... Lame.

Graphics look good but not mind blowing anymore. Textures up close are bad.

The spawning enemies still suck.

All in all, this formula is getting old. And I want the series SP to evolve some more.

Turning in the towel much earlier than expected. While the bevvy of rewards is a nice ego boost for continuing online, I'm not enjoying it as much as COD4. For some reason, playing it keeps building up this feeling of wanting to play Uncharted 2 or Left4Dead.

I'm done with this game; at least for a few weeks.

Come the fuck on, I FINALLY find an Australian hosted game, get to finish one match and then 'Lost Connection to Host'... Fix this shit god damn it

NIN90

Son of Godzilla said:
I've given up on unlocking all the shit. Extended mags is a sick joke. The whole leveling system seems to have been completely phoned in this year. Who the fuck wants to use a grenade launcher? Wants to stick an ACOG on a fucking sniper? 40 goddamn penetration kills? Are you joking? I can't get myself to use anything but silencer + red dot.

Why does everyone think that 40 penetration kills is so hard? I did that in one day with M4+Silencer+FMJ.

Son of Godzilla said:

M4A!1 with Bling +Grenade Launcher + Red Dot = win

Kweh

How long did it take you people to get good at playing multi with a controller?

At the moment I am finding it one of the most frustrating experiences ever. I admit, I'm a PC gamer when it comes to FPS but I am seeing plenty of players that are clearly capable of playing this game online with a controller, and being good at it. Alot probably have the whole CoD 4 experience behind them too though.

I have the Sensitivity all the way up to 10 but it still doesn't feel enough - when in zoom view, it takes me way to long to line a player up in my sights, and I'm usually dead before I can get a shot off. A controller just doesn't seem reactive enough to me at all.

Michan

My thumb aches from pressing down on the control stick to run. I stop running after a few seconds whilst holding it down, too. Is that because the character is "out of breath," or am I just doing it wrong?

Wallach

Michan said:
My thumb aches from pressing down on the control stick to run. I stop running after a few seconds whilst holding it down, too. Is that because the character is "out of breath," or am I just doing it wrong?

You don't have to hold it down to run, only click it. You will automatically resume walking after either running out of sprint time (which can be extended indefinitely with the Marathon perk) or letting the stick go neutral for a split second.

big_z

Michan said:

out of breath but there's a perk to run longer.

EDIT: forgot to refresh page before answering.... durr

3rd person is really weird. Hope they add first-person Team Tactical because I love it.

What's with these titles? They're stupid.
The worst thing about them is going through 10 pages of them to stop the "new" popping up.

I'm finding it a lot harder than COD4 at the moment. Bling is a really great idea. I thought many a times about using a silencer on COD4 and losing red dot vs no silencer. ACOG scopes have also improved a lot compared to COD4.

Top Bottom