• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Ten-Song

NIN90 said:
I kind of enjoy third-person mode.

I think it works only really as a novelty at best. So many guns/perks/attachments seem useless in it though. Last time I was in the list, I tried out my class that has a heart beat sensor and a holo dot on a FAL, and was just left to think to myself "why even bother?"

Loxley

I just played Wasteland for the first time, and wow. I was overrun with nostalgia once once I realized it was a remake of Brecourt from CoD1. Really took me back to all the Thompson vs STG44 "hop-a-thon's" :D I really love it when devs do these sorts of things :) Anyone know if any of the other maps are remakes?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
DMeisterJ said:
The map selection is weird. When you first start it will be on a map (Say Estate) then when you find a match, it will change (say, to Quarry), then if you don't have 8 it will matchmake again and change again.

I wish it was more like Killzone where the maps all played in rotation, but you could vote for which map you want to play next.

Found out there is a map called Rust through this thread yesterday. I've never played it.

Loxley said:
I just played Wasteland for the first time, and wow. I was overrun with nostalgia once once I realized it was a remake of Brecourt from CoD1. Really took me back to all the Thompson vs STG44 "hop-a-thon's" :D I really love it when devs do these sorts of things :) Anyone know if any of the other maps are remakes?
thats the only one.

NinjaFridge said:
Found out there is a map called Rust through this thread yesterday. I've never played it.
because it's not in TDM probably, only FFA. And it's a terrible map. Worse than Shipment.

Dibbz

Loxley said:
I know china town in the DLC pack in CoD4 was a remake of a CoD2 map, can't remember the name. I think there was another but I'm not sure. MW2 only seems to have wasteland but maybe some more will follow in DLC.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
thats the only one.

because it's not in TDM probably, only FFA. And it's a terrible map. Worse than Shipment.

Saw a video of a guy playing it on youtube and it said it was TDM.

Eric WK

Jesus, Rust is horrible. Along with Scrapyard and Wasteland, one of the worst maps in the game.

The rest are all leagues above the Call of Duty 4 maps, which just seem gimmicky and trite by comparison.

The Stealth Fox

Net_Wrecker said:
Stick with it. Although I stand by my thoughts that the maps are pretty meh, the game is great. It does feel kinda different compared to CoD4 due to the maps, and people camp like crazy because of it, but use a stealthy class, and you can absolutely destroy in this game, even more so than CoD4.
How have you been dominating with a stealthy class? I always get picked off from long range by snipers...

Give me some tips lol

Eric WK said:
Jesus, Rust is horrible. Along with Scrapyard and Wasteland, one of the worst maps in the game.

The rest are all leagues above the Call of Duty 4 maps, which just seem gimmicky and trite by comparison.

Wasteland is quite good, when you got a sniper and the thermal sensor.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I don't know how some of you guys think CoD4 is better than this. [multiplayer-wise]
MW2 builds upon CoD4 in every single way (imo)
Maps are better
Guns are cooler
Perks are better
Game is more balanced (ironically, with all the things they added)

ACE 1991

DevelopmentArrested said:
thats the only one.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a "remake map pack" of sorts, however.

moai

the shotgun you unlock at level 54 is amazing, i'm using it with the silencer and people don't know what hit them.
another thing, just 5 min ago i got the nuke, but i save it for later and died. didn't get any emblems or titles when i activate it. did i loose them because i died?

K2Valor said:
I don't know how some of you guys think CoD4 is better than this. [multiplayer-wise]
Maps are better
Guns are cooler
Perks are better
i agree with you but the camping and amount of spawn camps are far far worse. also imo CoD4 maps are better

DRE Fei

I hate how disadvantaged you are in the first 10 levels or so, but you can always use one of the default classes to get some of the good perks early. That way you're not totally screwed. At least the heartbeat sensor is fairly easy to unlock after level 4, so that should help out early on. I wish cold blooded unlocked earlier though, because these killstreak rewards are goddamn strong. The default classes also have weird perk setups that I don't like, but I guess that's the motivation to keep playing.

Eric WK

moai said:
the shotgun you unlock at level 54 is amazing, i'm using it with the silencer and people don't know what hit them.
another thing, just 5 min ago i got the nuke, but i save it for later and died. didn't get any emblems or titles when i activate it. did i loose them because i died?

You have to drop multiple ones to complete the challenges before anything unlocks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
K2Valor said:
Maps are better
Guns are cooler
Perks are better

Maps are definitely NOT better. Bigger? Sure. More complex? Sure. But think of the best FPS MP maps from the last 10 years. They weren't great because of complexity or size.

And like someone else pointed out, camping is about 924 times worse, regardless of game type.

panda21

i was saying boo-urns :(

i really like most of the maps. especially the snowy ones. and i'm not a snipe type. although some of the big ones are more fun with 18 people i think

only problem is the rotation seems to be able to figure out which ones you don't like and then always gives you them and never the good ones. its figured out i dont like high-rise and quarry so now its mad for it.

ant_

commish said:
Maps are definitely NOT better. Bigger? Sure. More complex? Sure. But think of the best FPS MP maps from the last 10 years. They weren't great because of complexity or size.

And like someone else pointed out, camping is about 924 times worse, regardless of game type.
I like the maps a lot better. Camping is easily solved on the maps BECAUSE they are so complex. Many different routes to EACH area. Each area seems to have at LEAST 3 entrances, eliminating any element of camping with the right strategy. In my opinion, any and all campers can be easily eliminated with the right approach (whether it be flanking them, or flat out not going to their "camping site")

unomas

Banned
Not a fan of the camping on Wasteland and the desert rock level whatever it's called.

Edit: The second one is Afghan, can't stand that map.

Y2Kev said:
I don't like Favela, but otherwise good list. I would move sub-base up.
sub-base isnt top-tier imo because every time ive played it, only one side of the map is used

terminal and favela are my top 2 because they're so unique and different plus great setpieces

Jayge

Eric WK said:

I'm not exactly sure how you get "gimmicky" or "trite" from the Call of Duty 4 maps but regardless... CoD4 level design was leagues better than MW2 level design. The map catalogues aren't even in the same class. They weren't the best in 4, but I don't know how anyone can claim that MW2's are better if they've played both extensively.

commish

K2Valor said:
I like the maps a lot better. Camping is easily solved on the maps BECAUSE they are so complex. Many different routes to EACH area. Each area seems to have at LEAST 3 entrances, eliminating any element of camping with the right strategy. In my opinion, any and all campers can be easily eliminated with the right approach (whether it be flanking them, or flat out not going to their "camping site")

Because they are so big and complex, it's not as if you can just stroll on over there to kill the camper. There's a lot of shit, aka enemies, between you and him when you spawn, and since levels can be so big, it's often out of your way and not near the objective. So you let him keep camping. Wasting 4 or 5 minutes to flank one dude isn't worth it.

Baiano19 said:
:lol :lol

Just got at the favela part... its so awesome to hear the baddies scream in portuguese, with the accent and everything.
Its hard as nails though, no wonder the especial forces here has such a hard time trying to deal with them...

The funny part is when they speak English like sometimes they go:

"To vendo ele", and then right after they say "Yeah, I see him", like people from the favelas would speak English, and even if they did they wouldn't in that situation.

commish

Jayge said:
I'm not exactly sure how you get "gimmicky" or "trite" from the Call of Duty 4 maps but regardless... CoD4 level design was leagues better than MW2 level design. The map catalogues aren't even in the same class. They weren't the best in 4, but I don't know how anyone can claim that MW2's are better if they've played both extensively.

This is how I feel as well. MW1's maps were just so much tighter. If I could play terminal exclusively in MW2, I probably would.

ant_

commish said:
Because they are so big and complex, it's not as if you can just stroll on over there to kill the camper. There's a lot of shit, aka enemies, between you and him when you spawn, and since levels can be so big, it's often out of your way and not near the objective. So you let him keep camping. Wasting 4 or 5 minutes to flank one dude isn't worth it.
Disagreed completely. I'll take all the time I need to eliminate a camper that's been dominating my team (because they keep running into the same area).
In addition, I rarely encounter a camper like we are talking about. One that sits in the same spot. Sure there have been a few cases, but I think those complaining are truly amplifying the amount that there are.

I don't get the Estate hate. I like it and wonder why people are always voting to skip it. Maybe I'm just not pro enough player to understand its shittyness. :lol

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Misterinenja said:
Terminal is easily my favourite map. Too bad I almost never get it in TDM. >_>

I second that. It's quite fun watching people run up the escalators over and over just to get shot in the dome by my m16 and rocked by a claymore when they come from the middle shop. What a fantastic map.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
How anyone could prefer CoD4's maps to MW2's is BEYOND me. MW2's maps are of much higher quality than CoD4's. Bigger, more complex, more options for attacking, etc. etc.

CoD4 had some really horrible maps. WetWork, Bloc, Shipment, Bog, Showdown, and Creek were my personally hated.

I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of Crash, Vacant, and Backlot though. :D

ant_

Misterinenja said:
I don't get the Estate hate. I like it and wonder why people are always voting to skip it. Maybe I'm just not pro enough player to understand its shittyness. :lol
I love it too :lol
It's always a big battle for the Estate on top, which I think is fun. ( I guess they hate the fact that everyone "camps" in there. )

Top Bottom