• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Misterinenja said:
I don't get the Estate hate. I like it and wonder why people are always voting to skip it. Maybe I'm just not pro enough player to understand its shittyness. :lol
because its a bore. I haven't seen a team score over 3500 on that map yet.

DevelopmentArrested said:
because its a bore. I haven't seen a team score over 3500 on that map yet.

It's best when everyone's fighting for the king of the cottage and those games end pretty fast too. At least in my experience hilarity ensues when people are constantly rushing in from every door. :D

Concept17

Cerrius said:
How anyone could prefer CoD4's maps to MW2's is BEYOND me. MW2's maps are of much higher quality than CoD4's. Bigger, more complex, more options for attacking, etc. etc.

CoD4 had some really horrible maps. WetWork, Bloc, Shipment, Bog, Showdown, and Creek were my personally hated.

I wouldn't mind seeing remakes of Crash, Vacant, and Backlot though. :D

I agree. CoD4 it was more difficult to flank the other team, which is a huge part of multiplayer. Most the MW2 maps allow for multiple routes that aren't too complex or too far apart.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
Concept17 said:
I agree. CoD4 it was more difficult to flank the other team, which is a huge part of multiplayer. Most the MW2 maps allow for multiple routes that aren't too complex or too far apart.

Which has another benefit which a lot of people seem to overlook. THIS GAME LOVES SPAWNING YOU RIGHT NEXT TO A CLUMP OF YOUR TEAMATES EVEN IF THEYRE BEING FIRED AT. So I thank IW for making the maps have routes where you can run away from all your idiotic teamates who seem to love sitting in the same warehouse and trying to use the same exit over and over and over again. sigh......

CheapChampagne said:
Which has another benefit which a lot of people seem to overlook. THIS GAME LOVES SPAWNING YOU RIGHT NEXT TO A CLUMP OF YOUR TEAMATES EVEN IF THEYRE BEING FIRED AT. So I thank IW for making the maps have routes where you can run away from all your idiotic teamates who seem to love sitting in the same warehouse and trying to use the same exit over and over and over again. sigh......
ive died in the spawn much more in MW2 than 1. spawn killed by tubes, predators; spawned next to a claymore; with the enemy! (telefragged anyone?)

rush777

SolidSquirrel said:
I was waiting so long for the M16, unlocked the FAL, fell in love. I dominate with that thing. Even w/ close combat, around corners, etc. I can't even be bothered to use the M16 now that I have it.

Although I've been doing terrible the last couple days, I already have tons of awesome mp memories. A couple nights back I was the last alive in a game of S&D, the enemy had a UAV. I took one out close range with a sniper, then whipped out my AA-12 and gunned down 3 more and finally finished off the last one with a throwing knife, all within 15 seconds. Lots of "what the hell was that" going around afterwards lol.

And the RIOT SHIELD! Played a couple game with 80% of players using the riot shield. It leads to so many hilarious encounters. I've pissed off a ridiculous amount of players with that thing. I recommend everyone try it, and don't worry about your K/D.

What kind of killstreak rewards are popular right now?

Heh I'm trying to stop caring enough about the K/D ratio to try the dam sheild it looks hillarious. Soon enough.

rush777

ive died in the spawn much more in MW2 than 1. spawn killed by tubes, predators; spawned next to a claymore; with the enemy! (telefragged anyone?)

Yeah no doubt, I've had more spawn deaths in my first night with MW2 then I can remember in total with CoD4.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member

I'd basically agree except for the fact that I've been spawn killed a ridiculous amount of times in MW1 by airstrikes.

And I'd say I could argue with myself about MW2 since they implemented Tactical Insertion and I never really use it because of my love for claymores.

Nonetheless .. I love this game :D

rush777 said:
Heh I'm trying to stop caring enough about the K/D ratio to try the dam sheild it looks hillarious. Soon enough.
I been playing the MP with my cousin this afternoon and the shield is quite fun, i'm too new to MW so I was rather crap but he was sneaking around, throwing knifes and beating down others with the shield it was great :lol quite amazing how much is protects you from bullets, people spray you are are puzzled that you are still alive.

MW2 has much bigger HIGHS and LOWS than MW1. Getting spawn fucked repeatedly makes me hate life and want to ragequit. But going on big killstreaks is incredibly rewarding. It's not a game design gripe but dying just after you called for a care package and are waiting for its arrivial may be the most frustrating thing in gaming. Conversely, hitting the jackpot on a Care with an AC 130 or Chopper Gunner, rules.

kai3345

Banned
Highrise is just awful, I can't stand that map. Afghan as well.

But aside from those two all of the other maps are really solid.

Jayge

CheapChampagne said:
It's a fault of the level design. In CoD4 there were almost always 2+ different "corridors" you could take in each map to route around enemies or push through and switch the spawns up, along with there almost always being 2+ crossfire sections across the corridors that DID allow you to flank effectively and take people out to allow the rest of your teammates to advance. Rooftop play did not matter much at all and none of the maps ever really exceeded 2 stories in height (with a few exceptions). The maps were pretty varied in size and layout but they all followed that sort of basic structure and design philosophy and it's what helped make the game flow really well.

In MW2, the maps are clusterfucks of shoddily-designed rooftop arenas, shooting galleries and pockets of awkward cover and openness that make most of the maps feel really unnatural and less enjoyable to play. There are some more CoD4-esque maps (Terminal and Derail, mostly) that come close to that original formula that I really liked but I wish there were more. The maps in MW2 appear to be more more "realistically" designed to me in that they seem structured like actual places instead of being designed as obvious combat arenas like the first game, which some people might like, but I don't think of that as good design at all. Every time I end up playing Invasion, Rundown or Karachi I wish I was playing District, Strike or Crossfire :lol

I've been getting a ton of abusive messages on PSN, can't believe the rage this game produces in some people. This little exchange was probably the best of them;

#got you twice, FUCKIN TWAT
lol, nerd rage
#never hear of shotgun who the NERD who got killed twice with it YOU FUCKING DID
noob, anyone can run round a map sticking a shotgun in peoples faces - didn't seem to help your team much tho, lol
#it takes balls to carry a shotgun you need to get up close to use it FUCKING retard i now SHUT YOU UP

:lol

Jayge said:
It's a fault of the level design. In CoD4 there were almost always 2+ different "corridors" you could take in each map to route around enemies or push through and switch the spawns up, along with there almost always being 2+ crossfire sections across the corridors that DID allow you to flank effectively and take people out to allow the rest of your teammates to advance. Rooftop play did not matter much at all and none of the maps ever really exceeded 2 stories in height (with a few exceptions). The maps were pretty varied in size and layout but they all followed that sort of basic structure and design philosophy and it's what helped make the game flow really well.

In MW2, the maps are clusterfucks of shoddily-designed rooftop arenas, shooting galleries and pockets of awkward cover and openness that make most of the maps feel really unnatural and less enjoyable to play. There are some more CoD4-esque maps (Terminal and Derail, mostly) that come close to that original formula that I really liked but I wish there were more. The maps in MW2 appear to be more more "realistically" designed to me in that they seem structured like actual places instead of being designed as obvious combat arenas like the first game, which some people might like, but I don't think of that as good design at all. Every time I end up playing Invasion, Rundown or Karachi I wish I was playing District, Strike or Crossfire :lol

dont worry.. I'm sure IW learned their lesson from ONE mappack for CoD4 and will make 3-4 for MW2. Remakes of Backlot, Crash and Brodcast imminent.

JaseMath

Bootaaay said:
I've been getting a ton of abusive messages on PSN, can't believe the rage this game produces in some people. This little exchange was probably the best of them;

lol, nerd rage
#never hear of shotgun who the NERD who got killed twice with it YOU FUCKING DID
noob, anyone can run round a map sticking a shotgun in peoples faces - didn't seem to help your team much tho, lol
#it takes balls to carry a shotgun you need to get up close to use it FUCKING retard i now SHUT YOU UP

I wish I would get hate messages. I suck too hard to get them, though. :( Help me GAF, I need tips!

Weenerz

Banned
I have been leveling up the Riot Shield myself, it is quite fun sitting in a doorway that only has 1 exit and taking all their hits and surviving. I have a total "tank" spec, with the perk that absorbs extra explosion damage. Good times. Only thing that I suck at currently is reflecting bullets, but I assume that is just random and will take a while to reflect 1000 bullets.

Jayge

dont worry.. I'm sure IW learned their lesson from ONE mappack for CoD4 and will make 3-4 for MW2. Remakes of Backlot, Crash and Brodcast imminent.
Despite my gripes with the design I do still love the game. And I actually think that a lot of these asymmetrical weird designs make Search and Destroy MUCH more interesting and challenging than it used to be, which is a plus.

But... no matter how much I'm going to hate myself for it, the day the (hopefully) inevitable "Classics" map pack comes out I'm buying it, whatever the price.

JasonMCG said:
I wish I would get hate messages. I suck too hard to get them, though. :( Help me GAF, I need tips!

Devote yourself to the throwing knife and the combat knife. You'll get your fair share eventually.

Is anyone else rocking themed Titles/Emblems/Tags? To be a capital-D douchebag I've been rolling around with Rainmaker, the Bling emblem (a big $ sign) and [$$$$] as my clan tag. My friend has the Ninja title with the undetonated grenade launcher emblem and it looks like the ninja is kicking the grenade into the little dude's chest :lol

Misterinenja said:
I don't get the Estate hate. I like it and wonder why people are always voting to skip it. Maybe I'm just not pro enough player to understand its shittyness. :lol

For my friends and I we skip it because it shows up way too much. I'd say about 75% of the time it's Estate and we are sick of playing it. No matter how good of a map it is. As my dad told me years ago "Too much of a good thing isn't better"

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
OldJadedGamer said:
For my friends and I we skip it because it shows up way too much. I'd say about 75% of the time it's Estate and we are sick of playing it. No matter how good of a map it is. As my dad told me years ago "Too much of a good thing isn't better"

I'm the same way with Quarry. I don't hate that map by any means, but jebus christ it comes up twice or three times in a row sometimes. Especially on domination.

Proc

I'm heavily considering buying the frag fx pro for this game. The auto fire makes it almost seem like cheating though. I am such a nub at the pad but maybe I'll pick it up over time. Its either that or I just buy the pc version, but blah on that.

HooCares

Neo Member
I'm surprised by all the people using Cold Blooded in their setups and not a silenced weapon.

You're going to appear on radar every time you shoot your gun. This is far more often than the time spent on radar under an enemy UAV. Surprisingly, I'm noticing many players aren't even using UAV as a killstreak anymore, further diminishing the value of cold blooded.

If you're going stealth silence/anything + cold blooded is obviously the best setup but if you are only going to choose one of those then silence > cold blooded.

If I could bring one map to MW2 it'll be SF Hospital from Americas Army. Map is fucking great.

All I want from MW1, if they bring maps over, are Overgrown, Crash, Crossfire, Bog(but it'll be a killing field with a Harrier/chopper gunner/AC130), Vacant

Loxley

Apparently I'm the only one who enjoyed Overgrown :D I think I did simply because, aesthetically, it was different from pretty much every other map.

Jayge

Loxley said:
Apparently I'm the only one who enjoyed Overgrown :D I think I did simply because, aesthetically, it was different from pretty much every map.
I loved Overgrown. I think that Overgrown, Crash and Vacant were the best maps in their respective (long-range, mid-range, close-range) classes. No coincidence that they were the 3 beta maps.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I didn't really play the first Modern Warfare online very much, but I've been REALLY enjoying this one so far. This series gets a lot of shit, some of it is justified, but it probably has the best gunplay of any console FPS that I can think of. Spec Ops is great, the snow stealth mission is really fun with a teammate.

So far my set up has been:
-Silenced M4A1, nothing flashy but it is versatile enough for close quarters and long range
- The 2nd unlocked shotty as a sidearm, for sticky situations
standard nades for now
- radar jammer perk, that combined with my silenced weapon helps me get the drop on my foes, I like to play as a lone wolf and flank groups of enemies

I've had some really good matches so far, when I get in a groove I usually have the highest score on my time, feels good. I don't really get the hate for the maps, I've enjoyed them all except for that one woodsy one with the tunnel in the middle and the tall bushes.

rush777

Loxley said:
Apparently I'm the only one who enjoyed Overgrown :D I think I did simply because, aesthetically, it was different from pretty much every other map.

Fucking loved it, maybe because I liked to snipe but there was just something about it.

Snuggler said:
I didn't really play the first Modern Warfare online very much, but I've been REALLY enjoying this one so far. This series gets a lot of shit, some of it is justified, but it probably has the best gunplay of any console FPS that I can think of. Spec Ops is great, the snow stealth mission is really fun with a teammate.

So far my set up has been:
-Silenced M4A1, nothing flashy but it is versatile enough for close quarters and long range
- The 2nd unlocked shotty as a sidearm, for sticky situations
standard nades for now
- radar jammer perk, that combined with my silenced weapon helps me get the drop on my foes, I like to play as a lone wolf and flank groups of enemies

I've had some really good matches so far, when I get in a groove I usually have the highest score on my time, feels good. I don't really get the hate for the maps, I've enjoyed them all except for that one woodsy one with the tunnel in the middle and the tall bushes.

It does? The SP maybe but MP is universally loved.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I can never seem to figure this out for sure — do the skull and crossbones icons that pop up signify where a teammate died, where an enemy died, or where anyone died?

CheapChampagne said:
I'm the same way with Quarry. I don't hate that map by any means, but jebus christ it comes up twice or three times in a row sometimes. Especially on domination.

Yup, Quarry comes up WAY too much as well. It's like the game shipped with 2 maps that are there 90% of the time and then all the rest of the maps show up the other 10%

Jayge said:
I loved Overgrown. I think that Overgrown, Crash and Vacant were the best maps in their respective (long-range, mid-range, close-range) classes. No coincidence that they were the 3 beta maps.

And Downpour. Best maps of COD4.

There were framerate drops - pretty major, as well - on the level
where you run through Afghanistan for the jeep
. I don't notice - or care - about framerates, but it did drop frequently and repeatedly (and I know this as I had to the level quite a few times due to my general incompetency). Didn't hamper my enjoyment one bit, but I did notice it, and people saying that there are none are protesting just a tiny bit too much, methinks.

dwin45

Loxley said:
I liked Overgrown and it looked similar to Creek which I liked a lot too.

vatstep said:
I can never seem to figure this out for sure — do the skull and crossbones icons that pop up signify where a teammate died, where an enemy died, or where anyone died?
skull+bones + ONE enemy name.. that's any player i think

name in front.. skull+bones.. name after.. name in front killed name after obviously

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
vatstep said:
Where your teammate died.

dwin45

skull+bones + ONE enemy name.. that's any player i think

name in front.. skull+bones.. name after.. name in front killed name after obviously
This post makes absolutely no sense.

DarkJC

dwin45 said:
This post makes absolutely no sense.

I think he's thinking about how it's reported in the "activity list" in the lower left corner. Simple misunderstanding of the original question.

Y2Kev said:
The heartbeat sensor OMG

it's like having my own personal UAV
yup. suddenly, you'll become the ultimate warrior with that. but i feel it's a little bit distracting.

also, I have one thing to say about this game.

:bow: Captain Price is BACK :bow:

JB1981

Is it me or are cooked frag grenades not very effective in the SP campaign? I feel like I toss a nade directly at a soldier's feet but the blast radius is never enough to take them out. Am I missing something here?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Bootaaay said:

lol, nerd rage

I had some of that this morning with a bunch of kids in levels 40-50, of course my team was like level 20 and less. They were using perks we didn't even know about and started talking a load of shit, until I asked what it feels like to get an allowance and not have a job. Then they were all backpedaling saying, "Oh, it's just a game!"

I really don't care about K/D ratio. This multi seems all about grinding and then getting the top perks.

Rubezh

What's up with the Activision disclaimer at the beginning that says something along like "We reserve the right to shut down the multiplayer without warning" or something?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Rubezh said:
What's up with the Activision disclaimer at the beginning that says something along like "We reserve the right to shut down the multiplayer without warning" or something?
They can shut the servers off whenever they want.

Top Bottom