• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Loxley

Narag said:
Only played like 75 matches of TDM but haven't seen a case where camping wasn't clearable with a bit of teamwork.

Same with me, there are a number of ways to deal with campers in MW2. I honestly don't ever remember coming across someone who was impossible to deal with yet.

Eric WK

Jayge said:
You keep saying that, but... you keep saying that. You never back it up with anything.

Take an urban map from Call of Duty 4 and an urban map from Modern Warfare 2. The design differences are night and day. In Call of Duty 4, the maps are incredibly two dimensional in retrospect. Look at District vs. Karachi. Or go non-urban and look at something like Downpour vs. Underpass. Downpour is almost completely flat with two turret nests and the middle roof being the only vertical spaces in the map.

It's clear that this is something Infinity Ward began making changes toward almost immediately following CoD4's launch, because the three DLC maps are designed more in line with MW2's maps than most of the CoD4 launch set.

Of course, there are CoD4 maps that still hold up and there are MW2 maps that just aren't very good, but on the whole, it's not even a contest in my mind. 500 hours of Call of Duty 4 (that I loved almost every minute of) and I'd just as soon never play any of those maps again, given this new set.

It's like the difference between Burger King and In-N-Out.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Narag said:
Only played like 75 matches of TDM but haven't seen a case where camping wasn't clearable with a bit of teamwork.

B b b but people don't want to have to put any thought into playing the game. They just want to run around like a chicken with its head cut off shooting anything that moves. Anyone who doesn't play like that is dirty camper with no "skill".

Enosh

god damn chickens on that risen map or whatever it is -.-

I preaty much have a "shoot if it moves and isn't green on the minimap" policy and the moving chickens are confusing as hell, I can't even count the numbers of times I gave away my position

and overpass is always fun beacose half of the care packages always end up somewhere on the overpass :lol althrough by now I have learned to check up too, not just around me, but a lot of peope didn't

oh well overall put in some 26h in the MP and reached rank 48, now it's off to college and no MW2 untill friday -.-

HooCares

Neo Member
Fuck TDM (after playing it exclusively for days).

at 6 v 6, most matches go as follows. 4-6 members of the team go into a camp spot and wait, 1-2 members advance, get killed by other teams campers... more waiting..... players staring through doorways on their stomachs..... waiting..... it sucks.

I'm amazed how many matches have had to end due to the timer because of all the camping.

Ground War is where it's at. With most maps being on average bigger than CoD4, GW allows for much more action. Sure there are still some campers but many more people willing to meet you in the middle for fun gunfights.

I believe party chat is also enabled for GW.

Play Ground War!!!!

Sean

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wow. GAF really doesn't like snipers.

I don't really like sniping, so when there's a wide open map like Wasteland that pretty much requires you to snipe it's just not any fun for me to play on.

Especially in MW2 since people have silenced snipers that kill in one shot and thermal vision to easily spot people etc. And if you manage to take em out they just respawn right back where they were with that Tactical Insertion thing. It's friggen annoying.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blurg, is it just me or does this game can go from awesome to aggravating really fast?
One moment, I'm kicking ass, the next I'm dying repeatedly just moments after spawning. After several great matches today, I suddenly started to get my ass kicked pretty much non-stop. It's like I spawn and before I can do anything I'm immediately head shotted by some fuckface laying on top of a building on the other side of map, so I spawn again thinking it'll be better only to have a predator missile fall from the sky directly into my face.
4yyt55u.gif

I normally don't get mad at games, but I was about to rip my controller in half so I had to shut that shit off and cool down with a bowl of frosted flakes.

Narag

Sean said:
I don't really like sniping, so when there's a wide open map like Wasteland that pretty much requires you to snipe it's just not any fun for me to play on.

Now Wasteland is the kind of map I'd relegate to Ground War. Its too big for my tastes in TDM.

Animator said:
so?

use a riot shield, use cold blood, use any one of the 50+ paths available to you in wasteland. Or have a sniper on your team to take out opposing snipers. I noticed that most people who complain about snipers run around like morons in clear sight and then complain about "camper snipers!"

There is not a single level in this game where as a sniper you can put your back to a wall without any way for the enemy to flank you and see %50+ of a level and snipe away.

Good call about the riot shields. You can tell who a team player is and who isn't when someone bites the bullet for the shield and takes point. :lol

Animator

Sean said:

Especially in MW2 since people have silenced snipers that kill in one shot and thermal vision to easily spot people etc. And if you manage to take em out they just respawn right back where they were with that Tactical Insertion thing. It's friggen annoying.

so?

use a riot shield, use cold blood, use any one of the 50+ paths available to you in wasteland. Or have a sniper on your team to take out opposing snipers. I noticed that most people who complain about snipers run around like morons in clear sight and then complain about "camper snipers!"

There is not a single level in this game where as a sniper you can put your back to a wall without any way for the enemy to flank you and see %50+ of a level and snipe away.

jedimike

Brian Fellows said:
B b b but people don't want to have to put any thought into playing the game. They just want to run around like a chicken with its head cut off shooting anything that moves. Anyone who doesn't play like that is dirty camper with no "skill".

I hear you... if GAF wants a twitch game, this ain't it. There are definitely twitch friendly levels in the game, but I think these new maps increase the level of strategy and get people out of their "comfort" zones.

One of the big complaints about MW1 was the lack of sniper maps... well they fixed that. So now, you really have to pick your class carefully depending upon your map. MW2 has slowed the game down a bit and added more strategy. Run and gun doesn't always dominate and that pisses a lot of people off.

Hyunkel6

Wow, unlike the other CODs, I find this one on veteran truly enjoyable. No infinite respawning enemies really changed the game for the better. It also seems that the game is more generous with its checkpoints. I'm at the end of act 3, and the only frustrating part that I could remember was trying to get to the
submarine in less than 2 minutes
. The Gulag on veteran is perhaps the best level I have play in a FPS in a long time.

No_Style

Doc Evils said:
I'll be honest, I never shot anyone in the airport. It was too fucked up.:/

I never shot anyone because I had the choice not to. I just wanted to see if Makarov would force me to or not, but he didn't. I felt the whole chapter was a missed opportunity to actually force me into an awkward situation.

NIN90

Doc Evils said:

I don't know. There's just something about these guys in their business clothes slowly walking through the airport and moving down people lfet and right, that makes that scene look fucking badass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I went Rambo on the civilians, I must have got at least a few dozen of them. The nade launcher on the assault rifle was great for taking out the large crowds.

So is it just me or am I the only one who feels like they aren't using stopping power. Any time I get into a head to head gun battle I'm pretty much done for. I love my cold-blooded though.

JaseMath

Doc Evils said:
I kept thinking, "Okay, I have to sell the image..." so I shot up all the people in the beginning. After that, I shot only those who were bleeding to death
and the guy surrendering with his hands in the air just outside the metal detectors.

The complaining on both sides reminds me of the first one.

You were, according to any random person:

a.) a camper who brainlessly lies prone and does nothing but stare at a given area for 15 minutes or
b.) a run & gunner who brainlessly runs around shooting at anything that moves

However, both camps will claim superiority under the guise of intelligence.

This game is not a thinking person's game. It's a game where people do whatever it takes, no matter how cheap, to be positively reinforced.

I see a lot of camping and n00b tubing develop in the last few days and I suspect it all has to do with people getting used to the game and developing whatever cheap strategy they deem is necessary. However, we'll all adapt and the general strategies will change with time, as we did with the first one.

Grecco

Doc Evils said:

found myself shooting the straglers, the people crawling to safety. The whole scene reminded me of SURVIVING DISASTER MALL SHOOTINg more than anything else. :lol :lol

beast786

Doesn anyone know whats the good way to capture auto-aim and no recoil. I am trying to make a video to do the comparisons between differnt FPS.

Example how to check for both auto-aim and reoil?

NIN90

beast786 said:
Doesn anyone know whats the good way to capture auto-aim and no recoil. I am trying to make a video to do the comparisons between differnt FPS.

Hm, maybe in splitscreen. Let Player 2 move slowly through Player 1's crosshair and watch how it follows him.

Snuggler said:
Blurg, is it just me or does this game can go from awesome to aggravating really fast?
One moment, I'm kicking ass, the next I'm dying repeatedly just moments after spawning. After several great matches today, I suddenly started to get my ass kicked pretty much non-stop. It's like I spawn and before I can do anything I'm immediately head shotted by some fuckface laying on top of a building on the other side of map, so I spawn again thinking it'll be better only to have a predator missile fall from the sky directly into my face.
4yyt55u.gif

I normally don't get mad at games, but I was about to rip my controller in half so I had to shut that shit off and cool down with a bowl of frosted flakes.

Exactly my thought, I'm the guy who doesn't mind a few games of CoD, it can be fun, but then it can turn into the worst game made in the blink of an eye, all of the attachments, the campers, death from above from almost any killstreak. Yeah, this game gets annoying fast, fun game, but I still feel its a game where you play it just so you can get rewarded for anything you do, it just doesn't appeal to me as a true skillful game. It just seems to random because you'll be playing great, and then you can't kill someone for a while.

Oh yeah, screw Painkiller.

I do also have to say the campaign and spec-ops mode is enjoyable though, but doesn't offer too much re-playability at all.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
jesus, i want to marry/have sex/grow old together with the thermal sight

currently:

RPD w/ Grip and Thermal
G18 w/ Red Dot
Smoke Grenades (works great with Thermal)
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro (works wonders since you can hold your breath with Thermal scope)

Kick ass build.

NIN90

I love the riot shield!!
It's so much fun to watch when the other player doesn't know what to do against me and we are both just standing there.
And then he gets shots from behind by one of my team mates.
:lol

MarkMclovin said:
Urg. People who jump>prone whilst shooting. I want to punch you in the head.

I hear you mate, IW should've put massive aiming penalties for shooting while jumping or transitioning to prone. Even better, disable shooting entirely whilst performing those actions.

NIN90

LabouredSubterfuge said:

I hear you mate, IW should've put massive aiming penalties for shooting while jumping or transitioning to prone. Even better, disable shooting entirely whilst performing those actions.

I did that on CoD2/CoD4 PC all the time. Made close quarter combats much more enjoyable.

Loxley

No_Style said:
I felt the whole chapter was a missed opportunity to actually force me into an awkward situation.

Trust me, a shitstorm on a whole different level would have risen if Infinity Ward had forced the player to participate in the massacre. I honestly do believe that giving players the choice made that much of a difference.

The first time through the level, I never fired a shot until the Spetznaz showed up, then I went balls-out Rambo on'em ;) But I never shot any of the civilians. The second time through I actually did shoot them, and y'know what? The shear number of repeated models and animations pretty much swept any possibility of the game breaking the fourth wall away for me. Was it still disturbing initially? of course it was.

But as far as I was concerned, by the end of the level I may as well have been shooting brainless pigeons.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Primary: FAL w/Silencer w/Holographic
Secondary: USP .45 w/Silencer w/FMJ
Perk 1: Bling Pro
Perk 2: Cold Blooded Pro
Perk 3: Ninja Pro

Having a ton of fun with this build. The FAL is my weapon of choice by far. The semi-auto fire and the solid stats allow me to do some hot things with that puppy.

Loving this game's multiplayer, even if some of the maps really frustrate the shit out of me, namely Highrise, Estate and Scrapyard.

Scrapyard is a clusterfuck of angles, where you're never safe.
Highrise can force you to get pinned down inside your spawn and have a hard ass time getting out. Really frustrating.
Estate is a snipers paradise, and I hate snipers.

Everything else is fantastic. Lovin' it.

Proelite

Anyone up for spec ops on Steam? My steam ID is proelitedota, and i need help with the mandatory 2 player missions. Add me whenever.

vatstep said:
That's only for campaign and spec ops. The multiplayer options don't have it listed.

And I agree that no stat tracking is stupid, especially when so many things are counted, there's just no way of seeing them. Like at the end of a match, you'll get accolades such as "most kills of same player", "highest multi-kill", etc. If those things are being tracked, why not let me see them more in-depth? Even if only at the end of the game — that would be better than nothing.

Seriously?!?

In that case: screw you Infinity Ward, screw you.

Razor210

jedimike said:
I hear you... if GAF wants a twitch game, this ain't it. There are definitely twitch friendly levels in the game, but I think these new maps increase the level of strategy and get people out of their "comfort" zones.

One of the big complaints about MW1 was the lack of sniper maps... well they fixed that. So now, you really have to pick your class carefully depending upon your map. MW2 has slowed the game down a bit and added more strategy. Run and gun doesn't always dominate and that pisses a lot of people off.
There is absolutely no reason to use a sniper rifle when it's much easier to use an assault rifle. And you have to stand still with a sniper; not the case with a rifle.

Seriously, I only use two classes: M4A1 with Bling (Holographic and FMJ), Stopping Power and Scrambler, and the other is my heli busting class.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Does anyone else never use their secondary? I don't really see the point of it, if you run of of a clip the other guy is probably going to kill you before you have a chance. The only use I see is if you straight up have no ammo in your primary or if you are sniping and someone is right near you or you have a riot shield equipped, otherwise I'd rather use my main gun. I have the stinger equipped for almost every class I've made.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Narag said:

You either are in parties or get the lucky random teammates because I have yet to play in a game with random people using teamwork. Been on whole teams with mics and no one talks.

NameGenerated said:
Does anyone else never use their secondary? I don't really see the point of it, if you run of of a clip the other guy is probably going to kill you before you have a chance. The only use I see is if you straight up have no ammo in your primary or if you are sniping and someone is right near you or you have a riot shield equipped, otherwise I'd rather use my main gun. I have the stinger equipped for almost every class I've made.

Same here. In fact, if I run out of ammo I'd usually just rather swap it for someone else's primary than pull out whatever secondary I have.

NameGenerated said:

I use them all the time in my slower assault rifle classes, PP2000 and AA-12 are awesome for quickly sweeping rooms.

grkazan12

NameGenerated said:

I use a Machine Pistol (PP2000 I believe) w/ a red dot sight which is pretty accurate until I can find another good gun to swap with.

NameGenerated said:
I use it all the time when I'm sniping, or if I'm in a firefight and run out of ammo in my primary weapon.

grkazan12 said:
I use a Machine Pistol (PP2000 I believe) w/ a red dot sight which is pretty accurate until I can find another good gun to swap with.
That gun is godly. When I'm sniping, half the time is spent running around with that thing. Nobody ever seems to expect a sniper to be doing anything other than laying prone staring a mile into the distance.

As far as other loadouts, no, fuck it. Not unless extremely low on ammo. Although I will say keeping a silencer on your secondary and not on primary has it's uses.

DoomGyver

I'm not sure why people complain about campers. "Camping" by my definition is a person who stays put in one spot just waiting for people to come by. He may wait there for half the match and get a few kills but good for him. Now I like to be persistent at key choke points. So I get a few kills then I move to where the combat has gone. That's not camping, it's being smart. It's just another playstyle.

Running and gunning is a playstyle too, and I love run and gunners.. because they're usually easy kills :D

Don't complain about "campers" change your playstyle and get them. Use something silenced with cold blooded and ninja and knife them in the back. Don't keep running right back to them because that's what they want.

noobs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NameGenerated said:

I don't, which is why I just use a rocket. I have scavenger though, so I never have an ammo issue.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Full Recovery said:
I'm not sure why people complain about campers. "Camping" by my definition is a person who stays put in one spot just waiting for people to come by. He may wait there for half the match and get a few kills but good for him. Now I like to be persistent at key choke points. So I get a few kills then I move to where the combat has gone. That's not camping, it's being smart. It's just another playstyle.

Running and gunning is a playstyle too, and I love run and gunners.. because they're usually easy kills :D

Don't complain about "campers" change your playstyle and get them. Use something silenced with cold blooded and ninja and knife them in the back. Don't keep running right back to them because that's what they want.

noobs.
People hate camping because it takes absolutely zero skill.

I have a friend who I regularly play with and he is utterly shit at the game... except when camping.

He has one spot on every single map that he sits at for the entire game. He will often get 10+ kills and is unlucky if he gets a single death. When you see him on killcam you could quite easily think that he'd lagged out of the game, but no, he really is just sitting still like a statue waiting for some sucker to actually run around the map. :lol

Kibbles

Snuggler said:
4yyt55u.gif

Wow, same here to the last word, even the frosted flakes.

ultron87

There was something strangely satisfying about working to get Cold-Blooded Pro last night. Killing people became a secondary concern and I was just constantly the dick shooting down people's UAVs in Free For All. It was pretty fun, and I don't care at all that it probably butchered my K/D spread.

Now to just unlock Ninja Pro, and my stealth never appear on radar class will be complete!

Top Bottom