• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Fina1e

Hey guys, let's put a AC130 or Chopper Gunner inside a care package on Wasteland so that it would make the one person rack up 30 kills in under a minute!

Oh wait.

Deadly

Finished the game on Veteran. Damn the last missions were easy, but epic. I read through some of the discussion in the thread but
I still don't understand how Shepard is connected to Makarov.
. I have to say the music was also pretty awesome, during that opening scene, really had me hyped up there.:D

sturmdogg

Noob question: I see some people shoot from the prone position. How do you do that? Can you only do that with certain guns?

Oh and I absolutely HATE Estate, love the Airport.

Biff

Just beat this shit on Veteran.

Was absolutely loving it until
Act 3, Mission 14 "Loose Ends".

WTF. First of all, that was a hard level on its on. Long level with tough 'Defend this shit while all 142 million Russians have at you' sections. Classic IW unfair gameplay. That, I can deal with, as I've veteran'd COD4 and WAW, so I knew what I was getting into.

What I wasn't prepared for was getting royally fucked by my last checkpoint, as Ghost and I are making a mad dash after downloading the files... I get a checkpoint in the worst spot possible. Right at the top of the hill before the descent down, crammed into a corner with 300 guns aimed at me. RPG launchers and snipers behind me. RPG launchers and rushers running up the hill.

Respawn, die. Respawn, sprint right, die. Respawn, sprint left, die. Respawn, sprint a bit, reload, die. Respawn, sprint a bit, shoot two guys, reload, sprint, prone, sprint, prone, hide behind tree, die.

Then I finally find a path that starts getting me somewhere. BAM RANDOM ROCKET THAT COULDN'T HIT MIT BASED ON PHYSICS HITS ME. Die. And it happens over, and over, and over again. It was PROGRAMMED INTO THE CODE to have me die via explosion if I didn't make it past an invisible line after X audio prompt occurs. I PLAYED IT SO MANY TIMES I FIGURED THAT OUT. The 'drag to safety' scripted event occurs at about 50m from the helicopter. I made it to 60ish meters probably 10 times? Then.... Random rocket, boom, dead.

It took me - are you ready? - one and a half hours to beat this checkpoint. ONE AND A HALF HOURS. I should have restarted the level and gone for a less-glitched checkpoint, but noooooooo, I had to prove it to myself that I could do it. And I did, but at what cost?

I've never been so frustrated in my life. Then Gen. Sanders or whatever the fuck his name is shoots me and Ghost. Wtf?! What kind of piece of shit twist is this? The highest ranking General in the U.S. Army is a traitor? DON'T THEY CHECK THIS SHIT OUT BEFORE PROMOTING PEOPLE TO GENERAL?

Fuck this game, fuck IW. Now excuse me while I go play the awesome Spec Ops mode :lol

big ander

Deadly said:
Finished the game on Veteran. Damn the last missions were easy, but epic. I read through some of the discussion in the thread but
I still don't understand how Shepard is connected to Makarov.
. I have to say the music was also pretty awesome, during that opening scene, really had me hyped up there.:D
From what I understand, Shepard just wanted the war to continue so he could eventually be the hero and write history to serve his ends and make himself famous. I don't think he wasn't actually connected to Makarov. If he was, well I totally missed the point of the ending.

Chrange

Banned
Fina1e said:
Hey guys, let's put a AC130 or Chopper Gunner inside a care package on Wasteland so that it would make the one person rack up 30 kills in under a minute!

Oh wait.

Nobody thought to switch to a loadout with anti-air, huh?

big ander said:
From what I understand, Shepard just wanted the war to continue so he could eventually be the hero and write history to serve his ends and make himself famous. I don't think he wasn't actually connected to Makarov. If he was, well I totally missed the point of the ending.

Well I do think there was in fact a connection, after the fact it seems that's the entire point of the airport ambush. It only makes sense to assume that Shepard and Makarov were working together to get an american placed at the scene in order to start the entire russian invasion.

This is seriously gotta be the most frustrating online game I've ever played. Yes, I suck at it, but damn, I'm not having any fun with this at the moment...

EDIT: Perhaps they could add a beginners lobby? Or match me with players that aren't 40 levels higher and seemingly have been playing the game non stop since tuesday at 12:01am?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Chrange said:
Nobody thought to switch to a loadout with anti-air, huh?

:lol :lol

My main class has a Stinger to take down UAV and Choppers... and airplanes. It's quite fun honestly. I spent my games today destroying UAVs and choppers frustrating the other team.

Ten-Song

Y2Kev said:
OMG THE NUBETUBE AHHH

I was talking to some friends today about a great class idea... any gun with an under barrel grenade launcher, plus the thumper as a secondary, and then scavenger as a perk, and just fucking spam all forms of grenades constantly. (I guess that means the Danger Close perk would be handy too.)

big ander

FourSerioux said:
Well I do think there was in fact a connection, after the fact it seems that's the entire point of the airport ambush. It only makes sense to assume that Shepard and Makarov were working together to get an american placed at the scene in order to start the entire russian invasion.
And now that I'm thinking about this more, what you're saying makes sense. The only part I don't understand, then, is if they were working together, didn't they realize that, in the end, history would declare one as the good guy and one as the bad guy? What was their goal in working together?

Hyunkel6

big ander said:
From what I understand, Shepard just wanted the war to continue so he could eventually be the hero and write history to serve his ends and make himself famous.

This is what killed the story for me.
Triggering an all-out war between countries just to be "famous and write history"
seems like a pretty shallow reason to me.
Makarov should have been the one and only villain

CloudV

Finished the SP last night, great music, great visuals, and fairly moving. I didn’t think they could top
the nuke in MW1, but Whiskey Hotel and going through the White House was just f’n amazing, and very powerful, imo
. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there are some plot holes I’d like plugged:

So the gist of it is Sheppard is upset about the nuke killing his troops in MW1, so he basically sends in Allen to be found by Makarov to incite Russia into attacking the US, so Sheppard can rebuild his army through volunteers by creating his version of history. OK, well, I think it’s a plot line used somewhere else, but worked for me.

Anyways, my big stickler was that Price says that the best way to put out a fire is to set off a bigger explosion, in the stage where the nuke is launched, it’s alluded that he either launched it, or allowed it to be launched. But it looks like he then re-programmed it to explode atmospherically? So with it exploding much higher in the atmosphere there was the effect of the EMP, but there was none of fallout, mushroom cloud stuff. Still, I find his logic fairly flawed. If we go with the idea that Russia attacked, but decided to not use nuclear weapons, this allowed launching could have sparked the war into a nuclear barrage rather than ending it as Price thinks it did.

Other than that, the ending alludes that there will be yet another sequel, but I wish there was a little more of what happened to DC, Price, Soap, and Makarov.

Overall, compared to MW1, I felt more like I was playing through an episode or season of 24 on some of the Task Force 141 stages, while the Rangers were very down to earth realistic. Other than that, I felt quite a few MGS vibes on a couple of the stages, even. Now some might find that bad, but it allowed for some stages where the adrenalin is pumping and you’re like, omg omg, in the middle of a war. Long story short, excellent campaign, good story telling and characters, and I’m going to be restarting on Veteran tonight.

As for MP, I’ll get to that eventually.

Yea shitty checkpoints are the worst.

I had a checkpoint in elephant graveyard where I literally got shot and died right away by 3 enemies not only that but it started me facing the wrong direction.

I had to crank the sensitivity to 10 turn a 180 go prone press L to auto lock on to one dude fire and then nail the other two pressing L then R, took me about 50 tries. Ridiculous checkpoint.

FourSerioux said:

They were working together for a bit. Everyone was Shepherd's pawn in his scheme. Makarov, Roach, Soap, Price, Foley, Ramirez, Allen... everyone. Basically, Shepherd was using a Batman Gambit to achieve his goal of becoming a hero in the history books and increase enlisting into the armed forces. This is supported by him saying "there will be no shortages of patriots".

CloudV

big ander said:
And now that I'm thinking about this more, what you're saying makes sense. The only part I don't understand, then, is if they were working together, didn't they realize that, in the end, history would declare one as the good guy and one as the bad guy? What was their goal in working together?

I don’t think they were working together, you saw that when you and Price are running across the junk yard to get to Nikolai’s plane, I think it was more like Sheppard planted Allen in Makarov’s group intentionally, knowing that Makarov would figure out that he was a double agent… Just that after the war was incited, Sheppard next needed to get rid of Makarov, as he had no more need for him.

big ander

heliosRAzi said:
They were working together for a bit. Everyone was Shepherd's pawn in his scheme. Makarov, Roach, Soap, Price, Foley, Ramirez, Allen... everyone. Basically, Shepherd was using a Batman Gambit to achieve his goal of becoming a hero in the history books and increase enlisting into the armed forces. This is supported by him saying "there will be no shortages of patriots".
CloudV said:
I don’t think they were working together, you saw that when you and Price are running across the junk yard to get to Nikolai’s plane, I think it was more like Sheppard planted Allen in Makarov’s group intentionally, knowing that Makarov would figure out that he was a double agent… Just that after the war was incited, Sheppard next needed to get rid of Makarov, as he had no more need for him.
...got it. I think.
Damn, now MW3 really needs to clear this stuff up. I liked how MW left room for a sequel, but didn't make one necessary. MW2 requires one. Meh, not a huge deal.

Raxus

Just hit prestige.

Cool stuff:
Added custom slot.
You keep all emblems and titles.
Brand new exclusive challenges with titles to earn.

Air drop has to be mega nerfed.

CloudV said:
Finished the SP last night, great music, great visuals, and fairly moving. I didn’t think they could top
the nuke in MW1, but Whiskey Hotel and going through the White House was just f’n amazing, and very powerful, imo
. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there are some plot holes I’d like plugged:

So the gist of it is Sheppard is upset about the nuke killing his troops in MW1, so he basically sends in Allen to be found by Makarov to incite Russia into attacking the US, so Sheppard can rebuild his army through volunteers by creating his version of history. OK, well, I think it’s a plot line used somewhere else, but worked for me.

Anyways, my big stickler was that Price says that the best way to put out a fire is to set off a bigger explosion, in the stage where the nuke is launched, it’s alluded that he either launched it, or allowed it to be launched. But it looks like he then re-programmed it to explode atmospherically? So with it exploding much higher in the atmosphere there was the effect of the EMP, but there was none of fallout, mushroom cloud stuff. Still, I find his logic fairly flawed. If we go with the idea that Russia attacked, but decided to not use nuclear weapons, this allowed launching could have sparked the war into a nuclear barrage rather than ending it as Price thinks it did.

Other than that, the ending alludes that there will be yet another sequel, but I wish there was a little more of what happened to DC, Price, Soap, and Makarov.

Overall, compared to MW1, I felt more like I was playing through an episode or season of 24 on some of the Task Force 141 stages, while the Rangers were very down to earth realistic. Other than that, I felt quite a few MGS vibes on a couple of the stages, even. Now some might find that bad, but it allowed for some stages where the adrenalin is pumping and you’re like, omg omg, in the middle of a war. Long story short, excellent campaign, good story telling and characters, and I’m going to be restarting on Veteran tonight.

As for MP, I’ll get to that eventually.

I love how ghost was screaming that the silo doors were open and Price just says "Good." Ghost is all like WTF? :lol Good voice acting.

Now, I'm not a nuclear physicist, but if a nuke is detonated far enough away, the effects of radiation wouldn't be too bad.

big ander

heliosRAzi said:
I love how ghost was screaming that the silo doors were open and Price just says "Good." Ghost is all like WTF? :lol Good voice acting.

Now, I'm not a nuclear physicist, but if a nuke is detonated far enough away, the effects of radiation wouldn't be too bad.
If it was detonated high enough in the atmosphere, couldn't all the fallout get sucked out into space? If so, that would still be very high up...

CloudV

big ander said:
...got it. I think.
Damn, now MW3 really needs to clear this stuff up. I liked how MW left room for a sequel, but didn't make one necessary. MW2 requires one. Meh, not a huge deal.

In the end, Makarov and Sheppard weren't working together, but using each other for their own ends. We know that Sheppard wanted the war to rebuild his Army and set his place, and Makarov wanted the war just because he wanted America to go down. But with Allen dying, and the Task Force 141 people being killed off, well it comes down to no one but Makarov, Price, Soap, and Sheppard knowing the truth.

I guess that brings up a new point, now with Sheppard dead, I wonder how they can prove that the Airport incident wasn't of American doing? Although I guess it doesn't matter, because like I said, I don't see how an EMP burst of DC stops the war...

ultron87

CloudV said:

Them fighting at the end does not definitely show that they weren't working together from the start. I think Shepherd's goal at the end is to clean up any possible lead that could show that the war wasn't started by an American led massacre of a Russian airport. This obviously includes both the 141 guys and Makarov.

Shepherd could've very easily worked together with Makarov to allow Allen to planted so close to him with the express purpose of blowing his cover at the proper moment. It is said that Makarov would do anything, and work with anyone, for the right price. And it certainly seems like his goal with the airport operation was to start the war. So obviously his employer wanted the war to start. The most logical person to be his employer is Shepherd.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Guys, I'm having a lot of difficulty on the campaign level that takes place on the Estate map. You know the part where you have to defend the computer downloading all of Makarov's data? It's impossible on veteran :( I camp at the top of the stairs, yet people I can't see shoot and destroy the computer. Help?

Ten-Song

hypostatic said:
I really don't mind it. I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up over it. It's just another map... now Sub Base, THAT'S a bad map.

The hell? Sub Base is easily one of the best maps of the whole bunch.

X26

Banned
Chopper gunner is just disgusting. I had a pair of back to back games where I got the gunner early in each, in total I went 58-4 (27/1 31/3) in those 2 games and only ~10-12 of those kills were from my gun

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Crap, I didn't realize you could be killed by your own harrier. :lol I really wasn't even that close to where I directed it, either!

Question — when you launch a predator missile, are in a chopper, etc. can you be killed on the ground? I haven't had it happen to me and I haven't come across an enemy while they were in the middle of doing it. I'd have to think so, I just haven't seen it happen.

CloudV

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Guys, I'm having a lot of difficulty on the campaign level that takes place on the Estate map. You know the part where you have to defend the computer downloading all of Makarov's data? It's impossible on veteran :( I camp at the top of the stairs, yet people I can't see shoot and destroy the computer. Help?

I claymored around the front door, and by the stairs that go down to the stock room.
I then hung around the back room, so I could shoot straight out the front room and the front door, or step to the right and shoot through the other door at people coming up the stairs or through the side door.
Honestly, for a while I have having flashbacks of MW1 and infinite solders:lol

Wallach

vatstep said:
Crap, I didn't realize you could be killed by your own harrier. :lol I really wasn't even that close to where I directed it, either!

Question — when you launch a predator missile, are in a chopper, etc. can you be killed on the ground? I haven't had it happen to me and I haven't come across an enemy while they were in the middle of doing it. I'd have to think so, I just haven't seen it happen.

I've knifed (or throwing knifed) a few folks tapping on laptops, so definitely.

vatstep said:

Yes... I have killed someone while using it and have been killed a few time using mine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
vatstep said:

You can, yeah. However, I killed a guy when he just summoned a chopper gunner(he sat right out in the open), and he still maintained full control of it for the normal duration.

Top Bottom