• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

NeoUltima

NameGenerated said:
Does anyone else never use their secondary? I don't really see the point of it, if you run of of a clip the other guy is probably going to kill you before you have a chance. The only use I see is if you straight up have no ammo in your primary or if you are sniping and someone is right near you or you have a riot shield equipped, otherwise I'd rather use my main gun. I have the stinger equipped for almost every class I've made.
I use my AT4 all the time, and not just for shooting down air support. I've gotten a few triple kills thanks to it :)

Phreak47

Chinner said:
(assuming its real and not a excellent troll) fucking middle class kids.

Regardless, he definitely proved that he tore up his hands punching that wall, so if that's all fake I'm actually going to congratulate him.

Meanwhile, I've only played two fucking games online. I must be getting old. So I'm sitting on level two with no perks yet. Somehow I'm not really amped about playing long sessions yet. Maybe after I finish the campaign and then get some momentum going to encourage me.

Brakara

RubxQub said:
Scrapyard is a clusterfuck of angles, where you're never safe.
Highrise can force you to get pinned down inside your spawn and have a hard ass time getting out. Really frustrating.
Estate is a snipers paradise, and I hate snipers.

For Scrapyard and Highrise, I recommend changing your main weapon to a silenced SMG and your secondary to a silenced shotgun. Makes those maps much more fun.

The only map I dislike is Wasteland. I liked it in CoD, but I don't think it's balanced for air support kill streaks.

Snowden

Banned
Full Recovery said:
I'm not sure why people complain about campers. "Camping" by my definition is a person who stays put in one spot just waiting for people to come by. He may wait there for half the match and get a few kills but good for him. Now I like to be persistent at key choke points. So I get a few kills then I move to where the combat has gone. That's not camping, it's being smart. It's just another playstyle.

Running and gunning is a playstyle too, and I love run and gunners.. because they're usually easy kills :D

Don't complain about "campers" change your playstyle and get them. Use something silenced with cold blooded and ninja and knife them in the back. Don't keep running right back to them because that's what they want.

noobs.
Heh

Just beat the game. Last act was brilliant, and almost made up for the (relatively) mediocre second act.

I guess the ending
means there's going to be a sequel? Sure hope so!

I'm loving MP, but the small selection of maps in Free-for-all (what I play 90% of the time) is making the gameplay feel stagnant. I wholeheartedly welcome DLC if it means more selection.

J-Rzez

Rez said:
I'm fine with auto-aim. Makes up for the inherently imprecise dual analogue control. If I wanted pin-point precision and accuracy, I wouldn't waste my time on consoles.

Imprecise to you maybe. I game on both console and PC, and I feel fine with either a controller or mouse. A mouse is just easier to use for people, especially since many people use their PC more often with other activities than gaming on it or console.

I don't want auto-aim because it gets confused and pulls you off damn target in situations that happen more often than you would think. The no good thing will even pull your reticle along a wall at times.

And sniping sucks in this game. I snipe in basically every other game out there, but this one is just terrible. It's not fun, and everyone just votes wastleland or backs out when it comes up so meh. The mechanics suck, and the vast majority of the maps are not made for it. IW can learn a LOT from looking at the devs who are better map designers.

The music in this game is pretty damn good and epic
like seeing DC burning for the first time, the boat chase, and near the end of the white house part. The music when Roach and Ghost get burned is pretty good too.

J-Rzez said:
I don't want auto-aim because it gets confused and pulls you off damn target in situations that happen more often than you would think. The no good thing will even pull your reticle along a wall at times.

Yea but theres no way you can aim with the controller with no auto-aim, absolutely no way. So you kind of have to deal with that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished the campaign just now. The second half almost made up for the awful first half. I enjoyed everything after the tanker level and liked the sniping missions. I still loathe the ridiculous autoaim that the game uses/is designed for. A smidge it okay, but goddamn it's so bad in the COD games. Great score from Hans Zimmer. 7.5/10.

Chrange

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea but theres no way you can aim with the controller with no auto-aim, absolutely no way. So you kind of have to deal with that.

Strangely it somehow works in games with less or no auto-aim though.

Those games must be magic!

DarkJC

alr1ghtstart said:
Finished the campaign just now. The second half almost made up for the awful first half. I enjoyed everything after the tanker level and liked the sniping missions. I still loathe the ridiculous autoaim that the game uses/is designed for. A smidge it okay, but goddamn it's so bad in the COD games. Great score from Hans Zimmer. 7.5/10.

It was Hans Zimmer who did the score? No wonder.

J-Rzez

xxjuicesxx said:

Maybe you can't. But there are games out there with FAR less amounts of it and aiming is just fine.

And yes, it's a shame about no webstat tracking that many other games have done this gen. IW's budget all went into host migration tech though, something games did last gen on console. That, and that sweet commercial rocking that Eminem track.

Sean

Banned
J-Rzez said:
And yes, it's a shame about no webstat tracking that many other games have done this gen.

I guarantee that's because Activision plans on charging for it and hasn't worked out the business model yet. I see no other reason for them to exclude this feature.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
cjelly said:
People hate camping because it takes absolutely zero skill.

I have a friend who I regularly play with and he is utterly shit at the game... except when camping.

He has one spot on every single map that he sits at for the entire game. He will often get 10+ kills and is unlucky if he gets a single death. When you see him on killcam you could quite easily think that he'd lagged out of the game, but no, he really is just sitting still like a statue waiting for some sucker to actually run around the map. :lol

Sniping, in real life, is camping. And in the game, especially COD, it takes a fair amount of skill since the enemy has so many ways of identifying and eliminating a camping spot. It's annoying, but in COD it's a high risk, low reward strategy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The epic soundtrack was definitely one thing that MW2 did better than CoD4. It really helped set the mood in a lot of scenes. A lot of the score is still stuck in my head after burning through the campaign at my friend's house.

Just got 1000/1000 Achievement points for this.

By far, the second to last Special Op is the hardest. The final one isn't bad at all thanks to the 50 cal sniper. Only took me and a friend about 5 tries.

Now to focus on multiplayer.

Beat the campaign in nearly 6 hours.

Because of some shitty level design and some brain dead AI from enemies & allies, I'd give it a solid B

Really shocked that the campaign garnered such acclaim from reviewers...

Chrange

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Maybe you can't. But there are games out there with FAR less amounts of it and aiming is just fine.

And yes, it's a shame about no webstat tracking that many other games have done this gen. IW's budget all went into host migration tech though, something games did last gen on console. That, and that sweet commercial rocking that Eminem track.

No web tracking, no replay mode, no co-op play (though Spec Ops alleviates that pretty neatly)...

What I'm really curious to see is if IW will support Modern Warfare 2 better than they did the original. Timely patches, more DLC, etc...

I don't expect anything extra for the story, but I'd definitely get a Spec Ops DLC pack.

TheMissingLink said:

Because of some shitty level design and some brain dead AI from enemies & allies, I'd give it a solid B

2rh31au.jpg

Almost too easy. :D

Kibbles

alr1ghtstart said:
Can't you turn the autoaim off? You could in CoD4.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just did the ninja cold blooded combo with a silencer...that was fucking awesome lol. Unlocked heartbeat and im going to test out what you all are raving about :lol

rodvik

SolidSquirrel said:
I was waiting so long for the M16, unlocked the FAL, fell in love. I dominate with that thing. Even w/ close combat, around corners, etc. I can't even be bothered to use the M16 now that I have it.

Although I've been doing terrible the last couple days, I already have tons of awesome mp memories. A couple nights back I was the last alive in a game of S&D, the enemy had a UAV. I took one out close range with a sniper, then whipped out my AA-12 and gunned down 3 more and finally finished off the last one with a throwing knife, all within 15 seconds. Lots of "what the hell was that" going around afterwards lol.

And the RIOT SHIELD! Played a couple game with 80% of players using the riot shield. It leads to so many hilarious encounters. I've pissed off a ridiculous amount of players with that thing. I recommend everyone try it, and don't worry about your K/D.

What kind of killstreak rewards are popular right now?

Awesome. red dot on the FAl brings it up a whole new level as well.

For Kill streak rewards it seems pretty varied. For me I now just focus on, UAV and anti-UAV. Picking up the packages gets me killed more often than just keeping playing, so I tend to ignore the higher killstreak rewards and maybe use one near the end of the game.

big ander

Say I beat some of the levels on Veteran and the rest on Hardened. Do I still get the achievement for beating the campaign on Hardened? Or does every level need to be completed on Hardened individually?

Also, what levels are the easiest sets to do on Veteran for achievements? I did SSDD and Team Player. How hard is Cliffhanger?

EDIT:
Y2Kev said:
I hate quarry
I love Quarry. I hate Favela.

Sushen

hypostatic said:
Just beat the game. Last act was brilliant, and almost made up for the (relatively) mediocre second act.

I guess the ending
means there's going to be a sequel? Sure hope so!

I'm loving MP, but the small selection of maps in Free-for-all (what I play 90% of the time) is making the gameplay feel stagnant. I wholeheartedly welcome DLC if it means more selection.
I loved the ending and it's pretty clear that
Captain Price and Soup are the main characters that IW is pushing along with the mysterious main villain
The storyline is a disjointed mess, but had enough awesome set pieces to make up for it. Usually, I don't even wait for the narration to finish during loading time anyway.

NIGHT-

big ander said:
Say I beat some of the levels on Veteran and the rest on Hardened. Do I still get the achievement for beating the campaign on Hardened? Or does every level need to be completed on Hardened individually?

Also, what levels are the easiest sets to do on Veteran for achievements? I did SSDD and Team Player. How hard is Cliffhanger?

yea that's fine. And the game is pretty easy all the way through on vet. The only level I had trouble with was Loose ends, and that was just the ending.

Chrange

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I hate quarry

I love it. I have a P90 scavenge pro/coldblood pro/ninja pro build with claymores that I use to lock down the top corner and rack up kills while roaming that and the top-level warehouses. It's funny how people assume, once you've killed them once or twice in that small open square that the path leads to, that you're always going to be in there. I catch groups of three or four unawares all the time, and scavenge keeps that sweet, sweet Claymore action coming :lol

Anyone know how many Claymores you can have active at one time? I usually put one on the long sloped path and another at the barricade entrance, but I don't think you can really load up on them.

big ander

NIGHT- said:
yea that's fine. And the game is pretty easy all the way through on vet. The only level I had trouble with was Loose ends, and that was just the ending.
Eh, maybe I'll go all the way through. So much to play though, dunno if I'll have the time between multiplayer, L4D2, and finally completing ODST. :lol

Hyunkel6

NIGHT- said:

Agreed. Unlike the other CODs, playing this one on vet isn't a test of patience and utter frustration.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
J-Rzez said:
Imprecise to you maybe. I game on both console and PC, and I feel fine with either a controller or mouse. A mouse is just easier to use for people, especially since many people use their PC more often with other activities than gaming on it or console.

And sniping sucks in this game. I snipe in basically every other game out there, but this one is just terrible. It's not fun, and everyone just votes wastleland or backs out when it comes up so meh. The mechanics suck, and the vast majority of the maps are not made for it. IW can learn a LOT from looking at the devs who are better map designers.

spot on..i just LOVE it when im aiming at someone far off in the distance and one of their teammates runs across and my gun decides to just follow him

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheMissingLink said:

Other than the music, I think the campaign from CoD4 was much better. That said, there are still some memorable parts from MW2. I liked the Mirror's Edge-esque part where you were escaping from the mob of militants in Brazil. The whole gulag level was also pretty awesome. I also really liked the strip mall part in the USA and it was a lot of fun controlling the predator missiles.

I think that more than anything, though, the annoying blood splatter really ruined the actual shooting part of the gameplay for me. It was nothing but frustrating when you were practically blinded after getting shot once or twice.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So my friend is telling me she read that MW2 is causing a ton of RRODs, but I've yet to hear a single thing about that. Bullshit?

At least 5 times now I shot a grenade from my grenade launcher at pretty close range and it went right through the enemy and did nothing. I hope they fix that.

Top Bottom