• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dax01 said:
Estate would be a pretty good map if it weren't for the house.

The good part about the house is that, if you can sneak in, there are ALWAYS at least 3 or 4 enemies in there, sniping out the window.

Sushen

Relix said:
:lol :lol

My main class has a Stinger to take down UAV and Choppers... and airplanes. It's quite fun honestly. I spent my games today destroying UAVs and choppers frustrating the other team.
I saw UAV flying around, bug didn't know I can shoot that down as well. I gotta try it!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Thanks for the quick answers. This thread is a bastion of knowledge and pro-tips.

As far as maps go, I think I like them all now except Quarry. Estate is annoying because you can't fucking see anyone, but I don't mind it so much in non-DM playlists. And Wasteland is decent for Domination.

Everdred

I wasn't even hyped for this game but after beating it on Veteran and playing about 12 hours of multiplayer I honestly think it is the greatest game I have every played. Gameplay is so refined and there is so much to do. Spec ops and all the multiplayer unlockables make it ridiculous. Love the balance of the perks and how they handled the death streaks.

This is the defacto multiplayer game and sets a new standard IMO.

Hey, has anyone had problems with the multiplayer crashing? I can do camp. and spec ops just fine, but my multiplayer refuses to play more than one game without crashing.

CloudV

ultron87 said:
Them fighting at the end does not definitely show that they weren't working together from the start. I think Shepherd's goal at the end is to clean up any possible lead that could show that the war wasn't started by an American led massacre of a Russian airport. This obviously includes both the 141 guys and Makarov.

Shepherd could've very easily worked together with Makarov to allow Allen to planted so close to him with the express purpose of blowing his cover at the proper moment. It is said that Makarov would do anything, and work with anyone, for the right price. And it certainly seems like his goal with the airport operation was to start the war. So obviously his employer wanted the war to start. The most logical person to be his employer is Shepherd.

Hmm, that does make logical sense. I'll have to play through again and watch carefully for more foreshadowing there.
I will admit that I was suprised at the end of the estate stage, and then I was like, no way, Sheppards a dick! I liked Roach!

The idea of killing off the protagonist worked well in MW1, but with Allen dying (for sake of starting the war) followed by Roach and other Team 141 members, I'm hoping this doesn't become a 24 like plot device that IW will continue to use. I can see it now, they'll kill off Soap in MW3!.

Also, not related, but loved the fact that Aaron from 24 (and the general in both transformers movies) voiced Overlord. He so fits in.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TacticalFox88 said:
It's offficial, Rust is my favorite map. Soooo fucking awesome.
Yeah, it's great. Fucking chaotic as hell, and the closest thing the game has to an arena-type map. Definitely not for people who obsess about their K/D ratio, though!

Korey

Loving the singleplayer campaign so far but the only story I've gotten so far has been... "ramirez, oscar mike let's roll, this is two-one actual over, tango down, we're oscar mike, stay frosty...hooah! ...oscar mike."

Papercuts said:
In close competition with Quarry, Estate, and Favela for shittiest map.

See, now this guy knows whats up. Those maps are all terrible in my opinion, for different reasons. Quarry is absurdly vertical, Favela all throughout the middle of the map is insane, nothing but narrow corridors with a hundred rooms and rooftops to tear you apart from. Wasteland is a barren pile of shit where you either rush the trenches and get destroyed or get picked off moving through the open. Smoke grenades and cold-blooded only get you so far.(assuming you are playing with people who dont listen to directions, like "follow me I have a shield, we'll clear out the trench" or "switch to rockets when you die and take out that AC-130") Estate is a shitshow all around the house. I love playing the fight around the boat cabin and the bottom of the hill though.

On the other hand, I love Afghan and Derail, which seem to be pretty much unanimously hated among my friends list. They are open enough that you can have some solid ranged combat, but at the same time theres enough variation in the landscape that you can approach out of sight if you're willing to go around the outskirts of the maps.

Unicorn

Pyke Presco said:
See, now this guy knows whats up. Those maps are all terrible in my opinion, for different reasons. Quarry is absurdly vertical, Favela all throughout the middle of the map is insane, nothing but narrow corridors with a hundred rooms and rooftops to tear you apart from. Wasteland is a barren pile of shit where you either rush the trenches and get destroyed or get picked off moving through the open. Smoke grenades and cold-blooded only get you so far.(assuming you are playing with people who dont listen to directions, like "follow me I have a shield, we'll clear out the trench" or "switch to rockets when you die and take out that AC-130") Estate is a shitshow all around the house. I love playing the fight around the boat cabin and the bottom of the hill though.

On the other hand, I love Afghan and Derail, which seem to be pretty much unanimously hated among my friends list. They are open enough that you can have some solid ranged combat, but at the same time theres enough variation in the landscape that you can approach out of sight if you're willing to go around the outskirts of the maps.
I concur.

All right - a weekend of multiplayer under my belt. So good!

Ground War has become my favorite playlist by far, with HQ Pro a close second. Enough chaos to where the super-powerful killstreaks don't show up too much, but they're definitely attainable with enough skill.

Only seen one nuke so far, and it was on my team, so who cares? :lol

I love the AA-12. So much. And I love the heartbeat sensor too. It's so good, I'm thinking about taking the plunge and sacrificing the UAV streak for something higher (currently I go 3-UAV, 5-Predator, 7-Chopper).

The Sentry Gun is just too much of a pain! I hate dealing with care packages and sentry guns; the drops take you out of the action and make you spend time dealing with them instead of the flag/HQ. I'd much rather just take a quick predator missile than the sentry gun.

And Bling? Awesome :D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
I think "The Show" accolade might be broken.

I got a 10-0 and got the reward for it, etc. but I still haven't gotten the accolade. It's the only one missing on the page and it's driving me insane :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Zanboo said:
I think "The Show" accolade might be broken.

I got a 10-0 and got the reward for it, etc. but I still haven't gotten the accolade. It's the only one missing on the page and it's driving me insane :lol
Works fine for me.

ultron87

Does anyone else find it weird that Sentry Gun is the only Killstreak Award where you have to call in a drop, pick it up, and then use it (besides supply drops, obviously)? It seems odd and a little unfair that your Sentry Gun crate can be stolen from you, while there is no way to lose your Predator Missile or other airborne Killstreak award. I guess the argument could be made that Sentry Gun has the possibility of doing more damage the other 5-kill award, but it still seems to unbalance it.

cresto

I find it hilarious that Wasteland is just brecourt 2.0 from vCod. I don't think anybody else played the original cod, but I hated it then, and I sure as hell hate it now...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
In the SP campaign, I liked the bit
where you are in space
. It only lasts for half a minute or so, but quite a bit of work for something that was only shown for that short of a while.

Wallach

ergo said:
I find it hilarious that Wasteland is just brecourt 2.0 from vCod. I don't think anybody else played the original cod, but I hated it then, and I sure as hell hate it now...

Isn't Sub Base from one of the older CoD games as well?

Narag

ultron87 said:
Does anyone else find it weird that Sentry Gun is the only Killstreak Award where you have to call in a drop, pick it up, and then use it (besides supply drops, obviously)? It seems odd and a little unfair that your Sentry Gun crate can be stolen from you, while there is no way to lose your Predator Missile or other airborne Killstreak award. I guess the argument could be made that Sentry Gun has the possibility of doing more damage the other 5-kill award, but it still seems to unbalance it.

I'd say it works to balance it well. Its effectively an extra player on your team and isn't immune to being indoors like other air perks.

ultron87 said:

I agree. I unlocked Sentry Gun first thing because I thought it sounded exactly like my play style, until I realized that I had to mark a spot to have it dropped, then go pick it up. It's too much of a pain. I'd much rather quickly drop the predator missile, which pretty much guarantees 1-2 kills, and move on.

Magik

Man, what is up with IW and only putting a few HQ spots in HQ Pro? You would think they would add a bit more variety and put in a lot more HQ spots.

Wallach

Unicorn said:
Good level.

Nice avatar.

Thanks.

I also don't get the whole deal with the Sentry Gun requiring a drop. It's not like they drop in the laptop that you whip out to call in your Predator or Harrier strikes.

bdouble

I really need to get some gaf parties going. Game is fine till you are partied with a punch of idiots that don't get to the objectives.

When I'm on a team with a party we roll and I'm usually 1 2 or 3. Then when with a Bunch of idiots that snipe and camp on a domination on Afgab all we see are double harriers and a pave low constantly.

Ps the only complaint I have with the killstreaks are when they can have multiple things in the air at once as long as they are different. That is BS. Can't carry enough rockets.

Unicorn

bdouble said:
the only complaint I have with the killstreaks are when they can have multiple things in the air at once as long as they are different. That is BS. Can't carry enough rockets.
I agree. UAV's should be the only other thing in the air besides the stuff that shoots (and care packages).

scoobs

finally getting good at this game... hovering at top of leaderboard constantly now :) Nothing more rewarding than getting huge kill streaks and dropping predator bombs and bringing in helicoptors and airstrikes one after the other lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thunderbear said:
where you are in space
. It only lasts for half a minute or so, but quite a bit of work for something that was only shown for that short of a while.

I thought they could have done so much more with that scene personally.

Kibbles

Thunderbear said:
where you are in space
I wish they made the background look more realistic in that segment. It was like a big low-res texture. :lol Everything else looked cool though.

ultron87

Pankaks said:
I thought they could have done so much more with that scene personally.

Or have made it make logical sense.

How would a nuke create a pressure wave that would destroy the ISS in the vacuum of space? You kind of need atmosphere to create a pressure wave. It would've been more interesting if the EMP had somehow left the astronauts in dire straights.

It was cool, but also one of the many things I had to not think too hard about to enjoy.

dagZ

pringles said:
I nominate the tactical nukes for Worst Idea In Gaming History.

its a reward....I think that if you are good enough for 25 kills in a row, you should be rewarded.

I got 1 btw. :D

It would have been nice if IW put civilian NPC's in maps for Hardcore games. Make it similar to America's Army where if you kill a civilian it counts against you.

Throw a random nade into a building at the beginning of a match? -300 for you.

A lot of the maps have buildings you can go in so just put them in there so they wont get killed by helis/air strikes/etc

Unicorn

ExtraKr1spy said:
It would have been nice if IW put civilian NPC's in maps for Hardcore games. Make it similar to America's Army where if you kill a civilian it counts against you.

Throw a random nade into a building at the beginning of a match? -300 for you.

A lot of the maps have buildings you can go in so just put them in there so they wont get killed by helis/air strikes/etc
Lolwut

pringles

dagZ said:
its a reward....I think that if you are good enough for 25 kills in a row, you should be rewarded.

I got 1 btw. :D
Give those players a fucking medal or something.. a badge of honor.

Now it's like "oh, too bad, a guy camped a lot and got lucky no-one shot down his air-support so now the game is over. FUN TIMES!".

I'd be okay with it if the requirement was 35-40 kills in a row. But 25 is too low. I've only played a few hours and have 17 as my best. As a noob and pretty much just rushing into combat. Game-enders just aren't fun. I can't really see how it's fun even if you're the guy using the nuke? Your reward is that the game is over? I can quit out of the game and achieve the same effect, the only difference being an insignificant number on some leaderboard.

sangreal

Seriously though, is there a way to play other beginners? I haven't played an FPS online in forever, and it keeps matching me with people who are like level 30 when im level 1?

in it's current state with self-controlled kill streaks affecting your streak, it should be much higher. A chopper gunner pretty much wrecks the entire team and is more then enough to get you up 15 kills

Wasteland is not a bad map, and it's a remake of an original CoD map. I wish they'd do more remakes because the maps from CoD and CoD UO are some of the best maps ever. I'd love to get some Dawnville action.

Of course some of these maps may be best suited for S&D.

The original map for Wasteland was called Brecourt.

Here's an aerial map of Brecourt (Wasteland):
http://www.nutteh.com/images/cod/maps/mp_brecourt.jpg

Spl1nter

sangreal said:
Seriously though, is there a way to play other beginners? I haven't played an FPS online in forever, and it keeps matching me with people who are like level 30 when im level 1?

Agreed. The matchmaking is just horrible in the game. I just got to level 5 and the other team I was playing against has everyone lvl 30+ with two guys 50+.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Kibbles said:
I wish they made the background look more realistic in that segment. It was like a big low-res texture. :lol Everything else looked cool though.

I agree, but just for the short amount of time it was on screen the
ISS Station (I think it was) and the impact FX
were both nice and just cost a bit considering the man hours. I mean relatively, considering how incredibly short the sequence was.

The following sequence was also probably the best looking section of the game IMO. On the other hand, when you are
defending the information being uploaded and waves of enemies just kept coming
was a boring design decision in my opinion.

I have to admit the graphics and immersion were a step up from MW1 which I didn't expect. Still don't think it was worth the $60 but I guess for everyone playing MP I can see that it is. I'd love to play MP with a group of close friends, I just don't enjoy the whole online mentality of a lot of people playing it. Just don't get anything out of it.

mcrae

Ten-Song said:
I was talking to some friends today about a great class idea... any gun with an under barrel grenade launcher, plus the thumper as a secondary, and then scavenger as a perk, and just fucking spam all forms of grenades constantly. (I guess that means the Danger Close perk would be handy too.)

holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

doing this now

Top Bottom