• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
sorry I just jumped into this thread so if this question has already been beaten to death I apologize...

For Special Ops online is there match making or do you have to select a friend to play with?

Sushen

All those new message system works great and rewarding. It gives me extra satisfaction to find out I just killed someone who's been high in kill streaks and who killed me last time and save my team members and such. Overall, the experience is more refined than COD4.

Dude Abides

Banned
Turns out MP in this game is much more fun when you can hold your own.

The intro screen says some of the software is licensed from id. Anyone know what that refers to?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dude Abides said:
Turns out MP in this game is much more fun when you can hold your own.

The intro screen says some of the software is licensed from id. Anyone know what that refers to?
The game runs on a modified id Tech 3 engine.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A few things on matchmaking:

a) as I understand it, the game really shouldn't be matching 1s with 30s. Basically, even if the 30 was ABSOLUTE ASS and took six years to level up 29 ranks, that still means the 30 has much more experience than the 1.

b) however, the matchmaking really does not occur by rank, I BELIEVE. I think there's another "skill" algorithm they're using.

Still, it's just not a great idea to pit 30s against 1s.

mcrae said:
holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

doing this now
Please don't, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rqLUDfl26Y&feature=player_embedded

I think the matching algorithm starts you out as a 50/50 player, and you go up or down from there. if it's like CoD4 however, it seems that as soon as you party up with someone matchmaking goes out the window and it just tries to find a game. I could definitely be very, very wrong about this though.

EDIT: That youtube video above is so awesome. Well played IW, great job with your PC matchmaking system. Don't fuck with PC gamers, they WILL break your game, so just let them do it from day one.

fnsdwl.jpg

While I had tons of fun with the game, none of the Ops had anything on Mile High Club,
which to me was a little bit disappointing. I like there being one insanely difficult thing most people won't ever do.

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
:/ I found Terminal to be one of the easiest ones. However, Wardriving is impossible for me :lol

I figured out the strategy for Terminal.

Wardriving is pretty simple if you have 2 people.
Clear the first house to the left, then make your way right to house 2.
Have one person go through the garage and the other to the top of the (closed) house's door to pick guys off.

Then once at house #2 there should be 2-4 guys inside. Pick them off slowly then
set up the turret infront of the door. Plant claymores around the garage and front door area. Once you are done, move the turret out near house #3 in the road.

Move to house #3. Make sure you blow up the cars before you enter. Clear the basement. Plant claymores. Then clear the upstairs. Sometimes guys hide in the bathroom.
Plant upstairs claymores. Put 2 turrets outside of basement/garage area. Have you and your partner camp on the stairs (from the garage area).

Once the download is completed, go upstairs sprint out the front door, head across the street. Then go through House #1's window to get back to the Extraction.
There should be like 2-4 guys, but the turret should take most of the fire and you and your partner should be able to take out any others.

Pretty easy, imo. Just take things slow, stay frosty, and watch your corners.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ten-Song said:
I was talking to some friends today about a great class idea... any gun with an under barrel grenade launcher, plus the thumper as a secondary, and then scavenger as a perk, and just fucking spam all forms of grenades constantly. (I guess that means the Danger Close perk would be handy too.)

This is the class I've been using the past three days lol. Having four shots that are one shot kills on Domination is superb. I also use Scrambler and the lowered kill streak perk. I forget the third i have. The nades I am using are the Semtex nades.

All I have to say about the class is that I have so many complaints after a match since I'm usually in the top 2 for kills and scores for Domination match types.

I also love to use the riot shield on hardcore and piss off snipers as I run straight at them after I find where they are camping and buck them across the level with the shield.

Terrifyer

Banned
Anyone else having issues with this game on PC? I bought it on steam and it freezes at the infinity ward logo every time, so wondering if there's a solution for this or maybe I'm the only person on gaf that bought this on PC :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Getting fucked over AA wise for the first 30 levels is so aggravating. People keep saying "Well, that's why you should equip yourself for the *insert ridiculous killstreak here*." I mean, that's right, but only really with the stinger and on, meaning level 30 and on. I'm a 24 right now and I've played for 7 and a half hours, so it takes awhile before that actually happens--and it's suicide to try with the starting piece of shit. I was just on a complete massacre on Terminal, they had all kinds of stuff out. I shot the AC130 2 times(meaning I shot it, died, came back and shot it) and it still took more than that. In the middle of a map like Terminal, it's not even a good idea to divert attention to look up that long, you easily get shanked by a knife. They had a heli at the same time which took less of a beating but still more than one shot meaning I needed to find a dead body or die again. But the real fucker was the one waaaaay up in the air. I forget which one it is, but it shoots the flares, meaning I had to shoot it FIVE times to get it down, which is crazy.

Yes, it wouldn't be that bad if my team helped, but with so many people comes a ton of idiots, and I just wanted to point this out since other people have also said that if you're with idiots then just do it yourself, which isn't really a good idea unless you're above level 30. I know I'll enjoy this game so much more at 25 to get cold blooded then at 30 for the Stinger, but the levels up to that point are truly aggravating, which is a shame since I never felt like this at all in the other games.

And before people go "lolo you suck", I'm at a 1.4 KDR, it's just a huge annoyance in this game to get spawnfucked by some of this insane shit.

Papercuts said:
Getting fucked over AA wise for the first 30 levels is so aggravating. People keep saying "Well, that's why you should equip yourself for the *insert ridiculous killstreak here*." I mean, that's right, but only really with the stinger and on, meaning level 30 and on. I'm a 24 right now and I've played for 7 and a half hours, so it takes awhile before that actually happens--and it's suicide to try with the starting piece of shit. I was just on a complete massacre on Terminal, they had all kinds of stuff out. I shot the AC130 2 times(meaning I shot it, died, came back and shot it) and it still took more than that. In the middle of a map like Terminal, it's not even a good idea to divert attention to look up that long, you easily get shanked by a knife. They had a heli at the same time which took less of a beating but still more than one shot meaning I needed to find a dead body or die again. But the real fucker was the one waaaaay up in the air. I forget which one it is, but it shoots the flares, meaning I had to shoot it FIVE times to get it down, which is crazy.

Yes, it wouldn't be that bad if my team helped, but with so many people comes a ton of idiots, and I just wanted to point this out since other people have also said that if you're with idiots then just do it yourself, which isn't really a good idea unless you're above level 30. I know I'll enjoy this game so much more at 25 to get cold blooded then at 30 for the Stinger, but the levels up to that point are truly aggravating, which is a shame since I never felt like this at all in the other games.

And before people go "lolo you suck", I'm at a 1.4 KDR, it's just a huge annoyance in this game to get spawnfucked by some of this insane shit.

Agree completely. Levels 1-29 were not as good as CoD4 in any way. Once you can actually deal with the insane air support, the game becomes much more fun.

The idTech 3 connections always make me laugh, as CoD uses the Quake3 hit-confirm sound type thing for multiplayer also. It's one of those little odd things. There's Q3 tech somewhere under this shiny presentation.. crazy!

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Buckethead said:
fnsdwl.jpg

Wardriving is pretty simple if you have 2 people.
Clear the first house to the left, then make your way right to house 2.
Have one person go through the garage and the other to the top of the (closed) house's door to pick guys off.

Then once at house #2 there should be 2-4 guys inside. Pick them off slowly then
set up the turret infront of the door. Plant claymores around the garage and front door area. Once you are done, move the turret out near house #3 in the road.

Move to house #3. Make sure you blow up the cars before you enter. Clear the basement. Plant claymores. Then clear the upstairs. Sometimes guys hide in the bathroom.
Plant upstairs claymores. Put 2 turrets outside of basement/garage area. Have you and your partner camp on the stairs (from the garage area).

Once the download is completed, go upstairs sprint out the front door, head across the street. Then go through House #1's window to get back to the Extraction.
There should be like 2-4 guys, but the turret should take most of the fire and you and your partner should be able to take out any others.

Pretty easy, imo. Just take things slow, stay frosty, and watch your corners.

Excellent advice, thanks a lot :D

Anyone know of a good killstreak combination to ensure the most kills? I heard chopper gunner was pretty good, but it's pretty tough getting an 11 kill streak.

Daigoro

man this game was 10x easier on Vet than any other COD ive played. still fun though and a whole lot less aggravating.

spec ops is awesome. i need a good partner to help with the 2player ones though. im about 21 stars in at the moment.

im enjoying multiplayer a lot. now that im learing the ropes and the maps its a lot of fun. still dont understand a lot about perks and drops and shit yet though. more play should clear that up though. ive 1000'd two COD games before this one and never played multiplayer online once before MW2. glad i finally got around to it. :lol

i guess im not suprised that people are gushing over the music in the game, but i didnt find it all that spectacular. i also think the sappy war theme type score was way overused. it just does not work putting it in every other major battle scene. no need for it really. made things seem more cheesy than they should have in certain scenes and didnt go well with the action in the plavces the used it.

i wasnt planning on picking this up so early, but i got it on day 1 and im glad i did. worth the $60 for me.

R2D4

Banned
Man there are some dumb ass people that play this game. I sat with a freaking flag for a good 2 or 3 min while my team mates jacked each other off instead of killing the other teams flag runner. I see some green dots surround the KILL icon and see the green dots disappear one by one. Pathetic. Or people with the flag run into bottle neck areas with enemies in the area instead of running around the dangerous areas and into the clear.

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Excellent advice, thanks a lot :D

Anyone know of a good killstreak combination to ensure the most kills? I heard chopper gunner was pretty good, but it's pretty tough getting an 11 kill streak.

The best combo I use for kills is predator at 5, harrier at 7, AC-130 at 11. If I can hit that 5 kill mark, then it tends to just steamroll from there. Playing objectives like domination or headquarters is the way to rack up kills. Put a silencer on your gun with stopping power(to kill fast) or cold-blooded(to stay undetected), find a good position and wait for them to push the objective. If your team can get a bit of air superiority early on it makes objective games a ton easier. Having some friendly choppers and ACs in the sky makes taking objectives a hundred times easier fro the rest of your team.

EDIT: To take out AC-130 you need to use javelins or stingers. And god help you if your the only person shooting at it, since your first shot will trigger the flares, and if the second shot doesnt go up right away (because, say, you got killed) the flares will recharge before you spawn and launch again.

Talon

Just finished the campaign. It was enjoyable if a bit silly. The scripted moments were used well, although they made me wish games in general were less procedural. I'm amused by how Call of Duty has essentially transformed into GI Joe.

The moment where
you burst to the top of the White House and pop your flares
was particularly memorable.

Also,
how many times can Gaz possibly die?

I set up with Pave Low at 9, Chopper Gunner at 11, and Nuke at 25. It's a bitch to get to 9, but once you get it, it's one and done unless someone finds you on the laptop. Mainly because you can call in the Pave Low and the Chopper Gunner at the same time.

Finally got some quality time in with Multiplayer. I'm definitely a lot worse at this than I was in COD4. I'm barely squeaking out .500 games. Hopefully I just need a little more time to adjust.

Butane123

Think I finally found my perfect class.

RPD with Heartbeat monitor and the grip
SPAS-12 with red dot

Bling+
Hardline+
Ninja+

Kill streaks:

Predator
Attack Helicopter
Stealth Bomber

The goal is to get to 4 kills, launch predator, hope I kill two with it, launch chopper, hope it kills two, and then launch the stealth bomber. I've been able to rack up some nice streaks and multi-kills with this class.

For killstreaks I use the supply drop, then predator missle then emergency drop (4 supply boxes).

I don't use it cause it's super effective, most the time it's just UAVs and ammo, but it's just like Christmas everytime. One time I got lucky and my emergency drop had 4 airstrikes. Didn't hit anything with the first 3 but boy was I excited.

Damn, Spec Ops is amazing. I hated it at first since I was trying to play it solo but I finally got the chance to play split screen with my roommate and I'm blown away with how much fun I'm having.

eshwaaz

One more minor complaint - I absolutely hate global volume sliders. For much of the campaign, the music is overbearing and the weapon sounds are too soft, but I can't do anything to adjust them because there are no individual sliders for music, sound effects and voice that so many other games have.

Lothars

Talon- said:
Just finished the campaign. It was enjoyable if a bit silly. The scripted moments were used well, although they made me wish games in general were less procedural. I'm amused by how Call of Duty has essentially transformed into GI Joe.

I would say that it's comparing it to Gi Joe is not fair to GI Joe especially how mediocre I thought MW2 campaign has been especially compared to MW1.

lantus

Just finished the campaign on Veteran, and I'm trying to figure out if I wasn't paying attention the whole time or if the game is just poor at telling a story. OK, that's exaggerating a bit, but I feel like I didn't get much of anything out of the whole thing.

On the positive side of things, it was much nicer not wanting to gouge my own eyes out about how difficult it was this time.

Lothars

lantus said:
On the positive side of things, it was much nicer not wanting to gouge my own eyes out about how difficult it was this time.

Absolutely, I really enjoyed the difficulty this time especially compared to the previous CoD games.

Top Bottom