• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Fady K

CrazedArabMan said:
Yep, the campaign on veteran was actually fun, but the story and how it was told still sucked.

Shame, after all the hype about the controversial scene(s) I was expecting that IW can at least get the story presented well. How does the SP compare to other FPS SPs in your opinion?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Raxus said:
MY K/D ratio goes in the crapper but man using commando, lightweight, and marathon is fun.
I've been doing this too. Add the Mini-Uzi (or any submachine gun) and it's super fun.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fady K said:
Shame, after all the hype about the controversial scene(s) I was expecting that IW can at least get the story presented well. How does the SP compare to other FPS SPs in your opinion?

I dunno wtf he's talking about. The way the story was told was fantastic. Things get a little unclear and muddled near the end, and they seem to move a LITTLE too fast in parts, but it's otherwise a well told story.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Net_Wrecker said:
Agree completely. Levels 1-29 were not as good as CoD4 in any way. Once you can actually deal with the insane air support, the game becomes much more fun.

Alright...yeah. I'm at level 27 now, and holy shit. Once I got Cold Blooded, I just had 5 straight games going 20+-5ish. It feels good being able to see predator missiles and harriers come in without me having to make a mad dash to a building, it even led to fairly enjoyable games on maps I otherwise quit on(quarry, favela). Sucks that it took 8 hours to actually get to this good spot, but now I just want the stinger and ninja to be fully set.

NeoUltima

Cold Blooded is really ridiculous...I use it, but only cause I feel I have to, it is way better than any other perk. Pro also stop crosshairs from turning red and your name doesn't appear above head to enemies.

I think not being on radar would be enough, invulnerable to air support/turrets is a bit much IMO. Obviously, once everyone wises up, everyone will use it. Thus rendering air support/UAVs/turrets useless.

(accidentally posted in reflex thread lol)

dwin45

NeoUltima said:
Cold Blooded is really ridiculous...I use it, but only cause I feel I have to, it is way better than any other perk. Pro also stop crosshairs from turning red and your name doesn't appear above head to enemies.

I think not being on radar would be enough, invulnerable to air support/turrets is a bit much IMO. Obviously, once everyone wises up, everyone will use it. Thus rendering air support/UAVs/turrets useless.

(accidentally posted in reflex thread lol)
Stopping Power pro is nice too. It's hard to decide between the two for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dwin45 said:
Stopping Power pro is nice too. It's hard to decide between the two for me.

I thought it would make a difference losing that, but I haven't really noticed it much.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the story is just fun cheese. I prefer it when they take some risks and fail rather than just play it safe all the time. You have to kind of fuck it up once or twice to realise what works.

Ten-Song

NeoUltima said:

Well, you're not completely in the free. Chopper gunners and AC-130's can still murderize you, you just don't show up for 'em, which half the time doesn't matter with the AC-130, as you can just spam shots all over the map with that thing and kill dozens of people. Also, I've had a couple of bad moments with cold blooded where I'll try to go take out a turret, and a idiot teammate runs in front of the thing resulting in BOTH of us getting gunned down.

I never really feel I need cold blooded for kill streak stuff anyways, I always just use my stingers. Soon as I see a harrier come in to start shooting people, I already have a lock on it. Those things never get to do shit when I'm playing.

abuC

Absoludacrous said:
I've put almost 20 hours into multi so far between 360 and ps3, still have yet to see a single nuke

Two different people in my squad got tactical nukes during the same game, one went 26-1 the other was 33-2, it was on wasteland (domination/Groundwar) and they were both sniping from a cabin. One of them got chopper gunner and the other had the AC130, there was pretty much nowhere for the opposing team to hide so they racked up kills like crazy. Of course only one of them got to use it, but they both had it.

The guy that used the nuke has gotten it 4 times already, he could have had it a fifth today but didn't have it selected in his killstreaks.

unomas

Banned
Finished the campaign on Vet, this is my 3rd COD game completed on Vet. and I liked it, but there were still some parts that were very difficult. Contigency had a part in particular that gave me fits, and there was one other part as well that was brutal. WAW is still the toughest on Vet. to me of the last 3 COD games. Time to dig into special ops and online multiplayer a little more before AC2 comes out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fady K said:

I like the SP. It's quite short so you can sit down and blast a level when you have a spare 10 minutes. Really enjoying it so far. Not digging the multi though. need to do some special ops i think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Terrifyer said:
Anyone else having issues with this game on PC? I bought it on steam and it freezes at the infinity ward logo every time, so wondering if there's a solution for this or maybe I'm the only person on gaf that bought this on PC :lol

I had the exact same issue and then I read up the Steam forums and discovered all you have to do is let it sit for a minute and then it will unfreeze. IW is working on a fix according to Valve.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
The maps are pretty good IMO. Sub Base, Terminal, Favela, Skidrow, Underpass and Afghan are my favorites. Everyone seems to hate Wasteland, but it's actually pretty fun for CTF.

My main problem with the game is that the matchmaking repeats the same levels and without fail, skips the ones I want to play. Is it just me or does Sub Base never get played? I think I've seen it maybe three times in 22 hours. Do different playlists favor certain maps?

sinnergy

JonAmikar said:
The maps are pretty good IMO. Sub Base, Terminal, Favela, Skidrow, Underpass and Afghan are my favorites. Everyone seems to hate Wasteland, but it's actually pretty fun for CTF.

My main problem with the game is that the matchmaking repeats the same levels and without fail, skips the ones I want to play. Is it just me or does Sub Base never get played? I think I've seen it maybe three times in 22 hours. Do different playlists favor certain maps?

I play free for all, and it only repeats 4 maps or so.

yea cold blooded really is the perk to have. it turns a game of "holy shit this is unfair air-rape" into not even giving a goddamn fuck about any helicopters or planes. matter fact, even the AC-130 and stuff dont mess with me, i find i only get killed when someone else is near me

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
sinnergy said:
I play free for all, and it only repeats 4 maps or so.

yikes. I play FFA 85% of the time.

I'm going to get the game in a few weeks but what a disappointment if it has only 4 maps.

regarding the maps.. i think theyre kind of genius in the way that there really isnt a spot for you to be 100% safe anywhere. i think people will warm up to them and then expect this kind of design from now on

Rainy Dog

Stridone said:
Not sure whether to switch to M16 from the Famas. Is the M16 really better? I didn't notice any difference.

I switched just to do the challenges (except for the FMJ which I really can't be bothered with for any weapon). As far as I can tell, the only difference is cosmetic so I prefer the Famas for its looks.

Fady K

thetrin said:
I dunno wtf he's talking about. The way the story was told was fantastic. Things get a little unclear and muddled near the end, and they seem to move a LITTLE too fast in parts, but it's otherwise a well told story.

I was going to give it a shot anyway, and I like your taste, so this is reassuring :) I look forward to that one part in the campaign which makes you
feel unethical or whatnot
- i know nothing about it other than the bare bones mentioning it got in reviews - i really look forward to that.

catfish said:
I like the SP. It's quite short so you can sit down and blast a level when you have a spare 10 minutes. Really enjoying it so far. Not digging the multi though. need to do some special ops i think.

The thing is, i'm not a multi-person, due to having all these single player games I want to finish, i just can't commit to the mutliplayer. Though i like what i'm hearing from you guys on the SP, as long as its got quality, i'll give its short length a free pass.

sweetvar26 said:
That happened to me atleast couple of times today.

It's annoying and wrong. You shouldn't be able to shoot whilst jumping, falling maybe, but not jumping. But doing a jump and then straight into prone whilst shooting is ridiculous.

What made me actually laugh was a guy done it a few times to me in a match, then he was on our side in another. I followed him throughout the game and he pretty much jumped out from every corner he was coming up to! He didn't even know if there was someone there, he would just do it. Run > jump > shoot > prone.

Dice stopped that shit win BF2 with a patch, IW need to do the same.

rodvik

The stinger has changed my attitude to air support. Instead of cringing in terror, now its "oh free points". Bling, Cold Blood, Ninja, Any gun with heartbeat, plus a stinger gives a nice feeling of being ready to take on most everything.

Animator

I found my perfect build.

WA2000 sniper rifle with silencer

sleigh of hand

stopping power

steady aim

I get 30+ kills on every game ever since I started using this build.

Aspiring

There is over 2 million on PS3. I know as i am around about there :lol

Just a question though, on my case for the game, under the Infinity Ward symbal, there is a 4. Does anybody know what this means?

nwbnmd.jpg

I was thinking maybe because its the 4th IW developed CoD? 1, 2, 4, MW2. But i dont know. Does anybody?

Hellcrow

ultron87 said:
Or have made it make logical sense.

How would a nuke create a pressure wave that would destroy the ISS in the vacuum of space? You kind of need atmosphere to create a pressure wave. It would've been more interesting if the EMP had somehow left the astronauts in dire straights.

It was cool, but also one of the many things I had to not think too hard about to enjoy.

This detail pretty much annoyed me through the rest of the SP.
It did not help that I completely forgot why I was trying to get to the sub in the first place. Suddenly everyone is yelling at Price, and he just says "good" and fires a nuke over Washington. Was this all part of the plan, or just something Price thought would be a good idea?

Aspiring said:

Just a question though, on my case for the game, under the Infinity Ward symbal, there is a 4. Does anybody know what this means?

nwbnmd.jpg

I was thinking maybe because its the 4th IW developed CoD? 1, 2, 4, MW2. But i dont know. Does anybody?

That's exactly what it means. Call of Duty 4 had similar marks all over it with the number "3".

DRE Fei

I never leave home without cold blooded. It nicely counters these ridiculous killstreak rewards. I used to run with FAMAS + stopping power a lot due to that combo being awesome, but sacrificing stealth in favor of power is so dangerous to me in this game since there is no more juggernaut. BTW, holy shit people were right about this multiplayer not getting really good until level 30. This stinger launcher is the real deal like everyone's been saying. Now I see why it takes forever to unlock it, because choppers/harriers/AC130s are like shooting fish in a barrel.

Aspiring

Gee i feel really smart at the moment :D Cant say that i ever recalled seeing it on my copy of Modern Warfare though.

They must really hate that another developer has rights to make a game that they built. So much so that they let in little digs like this.

tsigo

Is there a trick to getting around the AC130's flares when you're using a Stinger? I could've sworn I've taken one out without issue but lately it seems like they always miss.

Aspiring said:
Gee i feel really smart at the moment :D Cant say that i ever recalled seeing it on my copy of Modern Warfare though.

They weren't as overt about it. I think CoD4 has "IW3" in the credits somewhere, and I think it's a graffiti texture in at least one multiplayer level.

CloudV

Hellcrow said:
This detail pretty much annoyed me through the rest of the SP.
It did not help that I completely forgot why I was trying to get to the sub in the first place. Suddenly everyone is yelling at Price, and he just says "good" and fires a nuke over Washington. Was this all part of the plan, or just something Price thought would be a good idea?

Well, after you free price he starts talking about setting off a bigger explosion to quench the smaller fire, so they foreshadowed something like that, but admittedly, I still don't see how having a nuke explode in the atmosphere over DC to have the EMP pulse knock everything out, signifies a way to "end the war" (He even says "I thought this war ended yesterday"). That right there is one area I think could have been explained better, or followed up in an epilogue. In a more realistic situation, if Russia, or any country for that matter, managed to come in far enough to take DC, and then fired a nuke... well, based on cold war theory, we'd probably be in the middle of a nuclear winter within 24 hours due to our counterattack and dragging other countries into it. Thankfully it's just a game, and so you just have to check part of your brain at the door to fully enjoy it.

I really like the single player. Yeah, the story is kind of vague at some points and there a few annoying choke points, but man what a thrill ride!

mandiller

Aspiring said:

nwbnmd.jpg

It's the DVD/Blu-ray region I think. Australia is region 4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mandiller said:
It's the DVD/Blu-ray region I think. Australia is region 4.
nah, it's meant to be "IW4", as in, the fourth IW COD

Top Bottom