• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

tsigo said:
Is there a trick to getting around the AC130's flares when you're using a Stinger? I could've sworn I've taken one out without issue but lately it seems like they

Seems pretty random to me. Sometimes I can take down harriers, choppers, and the like in one Stinger, sometimes the flares make me miss, and I have to use the second one.

Surprisingly, one time me AND a friend pumped FOUR Stingers into a Harrier, and all 4 of them veered off course. I'm never 100% sure about when the flares are going to work or not.

I don't know if this makes any sense. On the Xbox 360 I had been playing with the sensitivity on high since the game came out and my k/d ratio was a pitiful .61. After playing for a couple of hours or so with the sensitivity on medium and getting rid of the holographic sight on my SCAR, I'm able to make more accurate shots. My k/d ratio is now a .94. So what is it? Was it the sensitivity, the holographic sight, or did I just get better:lol ?

MrGame&Watch said:
I don't know if this makes any sense. On the Xbox 360 I had been playing with the sensitivity on high since the game came out and my k/d ratio was a pitiful .61. After playing for a couple of hours or so with the sensitivity on medium and getting rid of the holographic sight on my SCAR, I'm able to make more accurate shots. My k/d ratio is now a .94. So what is it? Was it the sensitivity, the holographic sight, or did I just get better:lol ?

You got better. Pretty soon you'll increase the sensitivity because you'll find it too slow.

Net_Wrecker said:
Seems pretty random to me. Sometimes I can take down harriers, choppers, and the like in one Stinger, sometimes the flares make me miss, and I have to use the second one.

Surprisingly, one time me AND a friend pumped FOUR Stingers into a Harrier, and all 4 of them veered off course. I'm never 100% sure about when the flares are going to work or not.
I don't think I've ever seen a harrier use flares.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
Rez said:
the story is just fun cheese. I prefer it when they take some risks and fail rather than just play it safe all the time. You have to kind of fuck it up once or twice to realise what works.

mw2.jpg

But i totally agree with you :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Okay so my MP play-time has passed a day so I thought I'd share my thoughts/concerns that many of you might agree (or disagree) with.

1) What's with some games the text color of our teammates killing someone/being killed on the bottom left of the screen showing up in white and some games they show up in orange? Pick one, IW, and stick to it. Shit gets confusing.

2) Why does the SCAR have such a low ammo count without Scavenger? I never really have a problem with default ammo counts for the other weapons except the SCAR (and sometimes the M4).

3) The matchmaking issues are so annoying. Every other game, it boots out my party members and I have to end up backing out. Not to mention the fact that the party leader has to back out FIRST and THEN the party members have to follow suite in order to remain in the party. If the party leader backs out, all the party members should automatically be transferred back to the party lobby.

4) Bring party chat for ALL playlists back. It's bad enough I have to force myself to set my XBL communications to Friends Only (nice loophole ya LOST FUCK).

5) Sometimes the game "couldn't migrate host"? Lolwat.

6) What's with all the marijuana references in the titles and emblems?

7) Wasteland. LOL.

8) Make it so the Riot Shield in MP can be destroyed after taking so many bullets

and last, but defin-fuckin'-itely not least:

All of the maps except for Afghan and Terminal are god AWFUL. So many fucking glitches and ladders and areas that just INVITE the player to camp. Not to mention all the damn rooftops. Get Crackdown out of my fucking Call of Duty.

But with all that said and done, I love the EXP system, the challenges are rewarding and exciting as fuck, the killstreak system is awesome (I think letting everyone have 4 killstreak rewards instead of 3 would be nice), the guns look and sound GREAT and thanks for making the Semtex (<333).

The exp system is awesome, I hit level 15 I think and I'm way better then I was a few days ago.......

Its still a pain in the ass going up against level 40+ who outgear you so greatly.......but I'll get there soon

And I agree, some of the camping in this game is unreal

Domino Theory said:
2) Why does the SCAR have such a low ammo count without Scavenger? I never really have a problem with default ammo counts for the other weapons except the SCAR (and sometimes the M4).
With the exception of some of the LMGs every gun gets two magazines spare, so the lower magazine size guns will get less ammo.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Domino Theory said:
Okay so my MP play-time has passed a day so I thought I'd share my thoughts/concerns that many of you might agree (or disagree) with.

1) What's with some games the text color of our teammates killing someone/being killed on the bottom left of the screen showing up in white and some games they show up in orange? Pick one, IW, and stick to it. Shit gets confusing.

3) The matchmaking issues are so annoying. Every other game, it boots out my party members and I have to end up backing out. Not to mention the fact that the party leader has to back out FIRST and THEN the party members have to follow suite in order to remain in the party. If the party leader backs out, all the party members should automatically be transferred back to the party lobby.

4) Bring party chat for ALL playlists back. It's bad enough I have to force myself to set my XBL communications to Friends Only (nice loophole ya LOST FUCK).

7) Wasteland. LOL.

8) Make it so the Riot Shield in MP can be destroyed after taking so many bullets

All of the maps except for Afghan and Terminal are god AWFUL. So many fucking glitches and ladders and areas that just INVITE the player to camp. Not to mention all the damn rooftops. Get Crackdown out of my fucking Call of Duty.

But with all that said and done, I love the EXP system, the challenges are rewarding and exciting as fuck, the killstreak system is awesome (I think letting everyone have 4 killstreak rewards instead of 3 would be nice), the guns look and sound GREAT and thanks for making the Semtex (<333).

Hmm seems you hate every party of the multiplayer no one is forcing you to play it

snack

I just saw this class build from another forum and it looks hella nice for FFA. What do you guys think?

P90
Stun x2
Semtex

Marathon Pro
Lightweight Pro
Commando Pro

UAV
Counter-UAV
Pave Low

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kentpaul said:
Hmm seems you hate every party of the multiplayer no one is forcing you to play it

I don't hate the game, I love it. I just hate almost all the maps and the wonky networking (booting your party members out at random forcing the party leader to boot back out and re-search; this happens a lot).

Otherwise, shit's great. Being pissed about the marijuan titles/emblems and SCAR's low ammo count are just pet peeves/little annoyances. I decided to roll with the SCAR + Hearbeat so I could have Scavenger Pro. :D

Domino Theory said:
I don't hate the game, I love it. I just hate almost all the maps and the wonky networking (booting your party members out at random forcing the party leader to boot back out and re-search; this happens a lot).

Otherwise, shit's great. Being pissed about the marijuan titles/emblems and SCAR's low ammo count are just pet peeves/little annoyances. I decided to roll with the SCAR + Hearbeat so I could have Scavenger Pro. :D

Yeah its incredible how many people have that Joint Ops title on. And I bet most of them are 10-12 year olds. :lol

WAW had some awesome features that IW should've taken note in the multiplayer.

1) Back out with party feature - GOLD
2) Join squad feature in game - this allowed you to join a current game with your friends by joining their squad. For example, my 3 friends are Able squad, I load up the game and join the session, then when I get in game, I join Able squad, and then I'm set with them and we dont have to all back out and everything.
3) 10 possible custom class slots - I dont know if prestiging in MW2 allows more slots since I havent prestiged yet, but for christ sakes, 5 custom slots is simply not enough especially with 5 billion new attachments and perks in this game.
4) Riot shield should be destroyed eventually.

Other than that the game is fucking great.

Thermite

Domino Theory said:

7) Wasteland. LOL.

Agree with pretty much every point except the maps part. The only two maps I have a real problem with are Wasteland (largely due to how much it favors sniping), and Karachi (good lord, way too many floors to keep track of). I enjoy playing on the rest; especially Derail, Sub Base, Invasion, and the two you mentioned.

It'd be really nice if IW would just give control of the party to whomever is leading at that time. It's an annoyance to constantly have to press B to back out of the lobby for whatever reason, instead of just giving universal control to party lead. As for the matchmaking issues, they've come out and said (IIRC) that they've had meetings about it and will address it soon, so hopefully we'll see a patch within the next few weeks.

Edit: It'd be awesome to see a "Call of Duty 4 Flashback map pack" come out via DLC somewhere down the road (preferably soon lawl). I'd love to play on Crash, Crossfire, and Strike in MW 2.

h4k said:
But FFA is not ideal for high kill streaks. Using lower level ones will net you kills in the long run.

pave low is a little high for FFA isn't it? Sentry would be better, since it'll target everyone. Also, I'd use hardline or stopping power instead of lightweight, that's just me.

EazyB

Banned
Thermite said:
Agree with pretty much every point except the maps part. The only two maps I have a real problem with are Wasteland (largely due to how much it favors sniping), and Karachi (good lord, way too many floors to keep track of). I enjoy playing on the rest; especially Derail, Sub Base, Invasion, and the two you mentioned.

It'd be really nice if IW would just give control of the party to whomever is leading at that time. It's an annoyance to constantly have to press B to back out of the lobby for whatever reason, instead of just giving universal control to party lead. As for the matchmaking issues, they've come out and said (IIRC) that they've had meetings about it and will address it soon, so hopefully we'll see a patch within the next few weeks.

Edit: It'd be awesome to see a "Call of Duty 4 Flashback map pack" come out via DLC somewhere down the road (preferably soon lawl). I'd love to play on Crash, Crossfire, and Strike in MW 2.
Some of the party mechanics are absolutely baffling. It's almost as if they don't want people to have fun playing with their friends.

1)No party chat, have to change XBL voice settings to friends only to avoid all the fuckwads that make up the CoD community. This doesn't make me want to communicate with the entire team, it just makes me want to toss my headset off.

2) Joining a friend without an invite doesn't put you in their party. I can understand if their team is full but at least auto-place me on their team and party once the match is over.

3) Have everyone follow the party leader. If your in the middle of a match don't force everyone to get dragged out but if the party leader backs out in the pre-game lobby a prompt should pop up to ask the leader if he wants to bring the party or not.

4) Nothing in place to see the party details of a friend. Halo 3 did this 2 years ago, I should be able to click on a friend, check party details (members, what they're playing, how much time/kills left), and in the game there should be something that designates who's in a party.

As for the maps I've played (don't think I've played on each yet) there's not many that stand out as being very terrible. For the most part though I don't like maps that have to many random buildings to enter and hid in or with too many levels of elevation. Wasteland sucks as well although I haven't tried it with my new thermal scope yet. Another random thing that comes to mind is the level with the stream and two bridges going across it. I don't like how the map is divided in two with only two chokepoints to get across it and relatively useless stairs from the stream on each side. Turns most domination matches into a boring standoff across the stream.

EazyB said:
Some of the party mechanics are absolutely baffling. It's almost as if they don't want people to have fun playing with their friends.

1)No party chat, have to change XBL voice settings to friends only to avoid all the fuckwads that make up the CoD community. This doesn't make me want to communicate with the entire team, it just makes me want to toss my headset off.

Play Ground Wars, and send me an invite. You can party chat it up there and its like BTB.

I feel like I must be easy to please, because I have to say I enjoy every single map in the MP. Sure, some way more than others, but the only time I go to skip a map is because I've just played it, or because I'm not in the mood for the play style that map requires.

Afghan, Terminal and Favela are probably my favourite maps. I could play them all day. Estate is beautiful for when I'm in a sniping mood, too.

ACE 1991

Is there the same "snao to enemy" auto aim in the MP as there in the SP? It's kind of ridiculous how much auto aim there is... I disabled it, and the game is perfectly playable.

Insaniac

Domino Theory said:

7) Wasteland. LOL.

Scar has 20 bullet magazine, and every gun starts default with 2 extra mags, there's no difference.

Wasteland is my most despised map. Either you run around for 2 minutes and then die to a sniper, or you're forced to fight tons of campers in the center bunker.

Dax01 said:
Yesterday I got four kills with a single predator missile. Felt good.

Although that IS a good feeling, nothing is better than knifing 3 different people in the back, destroying a turret, then waiting for someone to spawn on their tactical insertion, knife him too, then destroy the insertion all within 20-30 seconds. I can't imagine how frustrated they were :lol

Net_Wrecker said:
Although that IS a good feeling, nothing is better than knifing 3 different people in the back, destroying a turret, then waiting for someone to spawn on their tactical insertion, knife him too, then destroy the insertion all within 20-30 seconds. I can't imagine how frustrated they were :lol
Doesn't the Tactical Insertion only work once?

tsigo

Domino Theory said:

1) You're on a different side. Blue is always the "good guys" (the Rangers/Task Force 141) and Orange is the "bad guys".

6) No idea, but it's a little ridiculous. I ran into a guy whose XBL name was Blazed Fox, his clan tag was [WEED], and his callsign was, of course, Joint Ops. Do you get the feeling the guy likes marijuana? There's even a marijuana leaf emblem but I guess he hadn't unlocked that yet.

ACE 1991 said:
Is there the same "snao to enemy" auto aim in the MP as there in the SP? It's kind of ridiculous how much auto aim there is... I disabled it, and the game is perfectly playable.

On 360 at least, and I assume PS3 as well, there's some minor aim assist, where your sights will follow someone if you're very close to them. It's not the same as single player where if you aim down the sights anywhere close to their body it snaps to them.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
EazyB said:

2) Joining a friend without an invite doesn't put you in their party. I can understand if their team is full but at least auto-place me on their team and party once the match is over.

3) Have everyone follow the party leader. If your in the middle of a match don't force everyone to get dragged out but if the party leader backs out in the pre-game lobby a prompt should pop up to ask the leader if he wants to bring the party or not.

4) Nothing in place to see the party details of a friend. Halo 3 did this 2 years ago, I should be able to click on a friend, check party details (members, what they're playing, how much time/kills left), and in the game there should be something that designates who's in a party.

I think some of the party stuff has been deliberately neutered as better party and Clan support are likely to become a big part of Activisions proposed business model for people payign for COD multiplayer features. Same thing with the stats display. Its obviously capturing it all for challenges, rewards etc but doesnt display properly in any one place.

kuYuri

Domino Theory said:

(<333).

It's using the same system that was in place with the PC version. Marines and SAS were white text,while OpFor and Spetnaz were orange text. Looks like IW stuck with PC versions way to doing the text.

harrytang

ACE 1991 said:

yes, very much alive in the COD MW 2. In estate I'll scan the boat house by sweeping back and forth left to right to find enemies in the trees. You can see the aimer get stuck.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone eve notice on highrise you can climb on the cranes?

I was playing and noticed that half the other team were climbing around on them. There's also a second floor to one of the end buildings.

I got my ass handed to me by these guys. I couldn't work out where I was getting shot from for about 5 minutes. :lol

Brakara

tsigo said:
6) No idea, but it's a little ridiculous. I ran into a guy whose XBL name was Blazed Fox, his clan tag was [WEED], and his callsign was, of course, Joint Ops. Do you get the feeling the guy likes marijuana? There's even a marijuana leaf emblem but I guess he hadn't unlocked that yet.

I in no way support the use of drugs (and have never tried it myself), but why is this a problem for some of you guys? I've even seen people here compare it to drunken drivers and kiddie porn. Jeez.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
There are people that actually like Afghan and Estate? You're freaks.

Playing through the game again on veteran. Much easier than other COD games, enemies still insta-lock onto you though.

Did anyone else find shooting up the WW2 memorial in Washington a bit offensive? Something about shooting up a memorial for WW2 irked me.

Estate is beautiful if you have the right setup. A nice sniper rifle, some perks that allow you to have a good sense of your surroundings and an easy seconday weapon for close encounters = domination.

taku

Brakara said:
I in no way support the use of drugs (and have never tried it myself), but why is this a problem for some of you guys? I've even seen people here compare it to drunken drivers and kiddie porn. Jeez.
Yeah, seriously. Anyone stop to think that we are actually playing a video game where we kill each other? Or that other titles in this game are for example "Bite the Bullet", "Boom Headshot", "Impaler" and so on...

I mean, come on! Let people use whatever title/emblem they want. Who cares if someone likes weed and what not, you don't have to.

NinjaFridge said:
There are people that actually like Afghan and Estate? You're freaks.
What? Afghan is awesome!

Domino Theory said:

We dont seem to get the booting people out problem and we play in groups of 3-7.
The Scar has lower ammo as Im fairly sure its one of the best assualts so thats just how they balanced it, saying that I use it and dont find ammo a problem.

Wasteland can either be really shit or awesome for me. Last night me, bro and mate went Riot sheild mad :lol running up to snipers and they just panic and try to run (which is when you lob a knife at them) or we would storm the bunker trying to smack people in the chops with them :lol

Talon

harrytang said:
yes, very much alive in the COD MW 2. In estate I'll scan the boat house by sweeping back and forth left to right to find enemies in the trees. You can see the aimer get stuck.
He's referring to the snapping on to enemies through iron sites mechanic, which (thankfully) isn't in multiplayer.

Nachkebia

Banned
Domino Theory said:

).

YES!! fucking hate them :D

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
snoopeasystreet said:
Playing through the game again on veteran. Much easier than other COD games, enemies still insta-lock onto you though.

Did anyone else find shooting up the WW2 memorial in Washington a bit offensive? Something about shooting up a memorial for WW2 irked me.

Shooting an airport full of unarmed civillians and appropriately responding law enforcement didn't irk you, but shooting up a stone edifice did?

Top Bottom