• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Stories in games are frequently poor, but I have to congratulate IW for creating a story that doesn't make any sense at any time.:lol

I think they're suffering a bit from Shyamalan syndrome - they're trying to recreate the effect of the Nuke level in MW1 and not really succeeding.
Killing the player character in MW1 was a bold step, but doing it twice here didn't feel anywhere near as powerful.

About the 'controversial' level:
The first thing I did was shoot Makarov in the back of the head, but of course he's magically invincible so it made the whole level seem completely contrived and not at all thought-provoking.

Towards the end
I think switching villains was a mistake. You spend all the game waiting to catch up with Makarov, and then suddenly it's the General who's the real baddie. WTF was his motivation anyway? Or Makarov's? Or ANYONES?????

Overall, decent game but not worth the hype.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Kind of unimpressed with the M16. That thing just does not cut it over long distances. Brutal from mid to short range, but long range that burst isn't controlled enough to hit something equivalent to 4 pixels in size over 300 yards away just poking out over a box.

FAL is where it's at. Control your shots and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.

This game is funny, though. When I'm on, it's so fun. I'll be whipping around enemies and shooting them up in the back due to my Ninja build. I'll sneak around corners and catch people running and hose them down with my pea-shooter sounding gun....but then there are times where I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD that I hit the dude like 90 times in the chest/head and he doesn't die and then he breathes on me and I drop. Man do I want to slash my wrists open when that shit happens.

I've been able to stabilize my scores, though. I'm usually going 1.5:1 on average, only falling under 1:1 occasionally on domination style games due to keeping pressure on the point.

Had one sick game where I went 28:2. I just seemed insanely dominant the entire game, and didn't even get that many kills with my predator missile or harrier strikes. Good 'ole FAL with a silencer on it to dish out the deaths without popping up on radar.

Ninja build is where it's at! You have to sacrifice a lot of great perks to do it properly, but being silent and murdering fools who have no way of knowing you're there makes it worth it for me.

Finished Special Ops last night. 69 stars. Been playing the multiplayer heavily for the past two days. For the first time since launch. I'm enjoying it, but some of the maps have ridiculous amounts of places for people to hide. Lots of tiny rooms, and windows. I realize IW wants Modern Warfare to be like actual modern warfare...Where you can get attacked from anywhere at anytime, but that shouldn't translate into the multiplayer. Hoping the DLC maps will be more straight forward maps.

Amneisac

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Shooting an airport full of unarmed civillians and appropriately responding law enforcement didn't irk you, but shooting up a stone edifice did?

I don't know about that, but I can tell you that every time I kill a dog it hurts me inside. I've been killing innocent people in games for ages, but I just can't get past the widdle puppies.

Amneisac said:
I don't know about that, but I can tell you that every time I kill a dog it hurts me inside. I've been killing innocent people in games for ages, but I just can't get past the widdle puppies.

I feel the same - until they jump on me and I happily snap their necks.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
MP is not fun 80% of the time right now, im Level 12 or something, the winning team gets such a lop sided advantage its ridiculous. And Damn you IW for putting Turrets in the game.

So far Wasteland, Scrapyard and Invasion are the fun Maps.

RubxQub said:
Kind of unimpressed with the M16. That thing just does not cut it over long distances. Brutal from mid to short range, but long range that burst isn't controlled enough to hit something equivalent to 4 pixels in size over 300 yards away just poking out over a box.

FAL is where it's at. Control your shots and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.
You're strange, Rubik's. There's no way the FAL is better than the M16. Especially when you have bling on, with heartbeat sensor and red dot. I haven't reached level 40 yet, (almost there, though!), but I've picked up the gun, and it's just as beastly as it was in MW1.

Net_Wrecker said:
Although that IS a good feeling, nothing is better than knifing 3 different people in the back, destroying a turret, then waiting for someone to spawn on their tactical insertion, knife him too, then destroy the insertion all within 20-30 seconds. I can't imagine how frustrated they were :lol
Apprently not. That's awesome.:lol

Brian Fellows said:
I hate hate hate Estate. The other two I like.

I love Estate - no bitches gettin' in my house with a turret at the foot of the stairs and a claymore on the second floor balcony. Five plus kills guaranteed, every time.

I was never a camper in MW, but this game has forced it upon me, and now I see why it's so much fun :lol

Dr Zhivago said:
Stories in games are frequently poor, but I have to congratulate IW for creating a story that doesn't make any sense at any time.:lol

I think they're suffering a bit from Shyamalan syndrome - they're trying to recreate the effect of the Nuke level in MW1 and not really succeeding.
Killing the player character in MW1 was a bold step, but doing it twice here didn't feel anywhere near as powerful.

The first thing I did was shoot Makarov in the back of the head, but of course he's magically invincible so it made the whole level seem completely contrived and not at all thought-provoking.

Towards the end
I think switching villains was a mistake. You spend all the game waiting to catch up with Makarov, and then suddenly it's the General who's the real baddie. WTF was his motivation anyway? Or Makarov's? Or ANYONES?????

Shepherd clearly states his reason for all of this at the end. And Makaraov's intentions are pretty clear. Have you seen 24? In 24 the villain at the beginning is never the Big Bad. The Big Bad is always revealed half way into the season. That's what pretty much happened in MW2, except Shepherd used Makarov in a Batman Gambit, just like he used TF141, Foley's team, and Allen. And once everyone has outlived their usefulness to Shepherd, he has them killed like he did Ghost and Roach and Allen and was trying to do to Price, Soap, and Makarov.

jiggles

Banned
Am I missing something with regards to the storyline or did they really make it so:

[ENDING SPOILERS]
Rather than take down the guy who arranged the airport massacre and thus caused the Russian invasion of the USA, you use his help to take out the person who is the only one with the intelligence and resources to take Makarov down (and is actually in the process of doing so)? And your reason for doing so is that he betrayed a handful of soldiers to take the credit? In other words, you team up with the genocidal maniac to take out the evil fucker who is going to get recognition he didn't deserve?

EDIT: Seems I missed the whole
Shepherd pulling Makarov's strings
thing.

Brakara

Dr Zhivago said:
Towards the end

Makarov was just a hired gun.

heliosRAzi said:
Shepherd clearly states his reason for all of this at the end. And Makaraov's intentions are pretty clear. Have you seen 24? In 24 the villain at the beginning is never the Big Bad. The Big Bad is always revealed half way into the season. That's what pretty much happened in MW2, except Shepherd used Makarov in a Batman Gambit, just like he used TF141, Foley's team, and Allen. And once everyone has outlived their usefulness to Shepherd, he has them killed like he did Ghost and Roach and Allen and was trying to do to Price, Soap, and Makarov.

Still doesn't make sense since it was so god damn stupid and contrived. Course thats least of the games story issues. Roland Emmerich can drive giant arks through the plot holes the game has.

RubxQub

Dax01 said:
You're strange, Rubik's. There's no way the FAL is better than the M16. Especially when you have bling on, with heartbeat sensor and red dot. I haven't reached level 40 yet, (almost there, though!), but I've picked up the gun, and it's just as beastly as it was in MW1.
What good is a heartbeat sensor if it doesn't register my Ninja-ass? :D

I get a lot of kills over long disances so I need something with a bit more control. The moment you shoot, the enemy will generally know where you are and I need more than the first bullet to hit them.

Awesome gun from mid to short, but long leaves too much to be desired.

Heartbeat sensors are too slow for me. They don't pulse fast enough and your can't see it when you're running.

Frillen

So I think it's time to rate the maps:

Afghan: 7
Derail: 8
Estate: 6
Favela: 5
Highrise: 8
Invasion: 5
Karachi: 3 (AWFUL!!)
Quarry: 7 (Hated it in the beginning but has grown on me)
Rundown: 6
Rust: 5
Scrapyard: 5
Skidrow: 4
Terminal: 8
Underpass: 7
Wasteland: 2

Not a single 9 or 10 IMO. For me CoD4:MW had at least three 9 maps (Crash, Ambush and Crossfire).

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Amneisac said:

I think its contextual. Like, my morality in that particular scene came into play. I would shoot, but deliberately avoid shooting civilians, just shot around them, and never even shot the dead bodies. I even tried to avoid shooting the cops, until i realized that my AI cohorts wouldn't be able to get rid of them to make the game progress on the difficulty I had played at.

In the dog thing, in the favela, I didn't feel anything about that. But, I have childhood experiences being chased by a rabid dog. So, more of a disconnect for me.

Honestly, I can't even cap prostitutes after visiting them in GTA4. However, I have no problem expressing road rage.

But I still think the whole "violating the sanctity of the WW2 memorial" causing uncomfortable feelings as opposed to mowing down innocents in an airports seems silly. And I'm not saying that the poster actually felt indifferent to that stage, but I dunno. The attitude comes off to me, as a bit "America, fuck yeah!" but I acknowledge that I am inferring.

Frillen said:

Not a single 9 or 10 IMO. For me CoD4:MW had at least three 9 maps (Crash, Ambush and Crossfire).

Terminal is easily a 10 IMO. Best map in the game. Lots of little battlegrounds. No really good sniping positions. Great map.

Afghan: 10
Derail: 9
Estate: 10
Favela: 10
Invasion: 7
Karachi: 5
Quarry: 5
Rundown: 3
Rust: Only played it once in local multiplayer, so can't comment.
Scrapyard: 8
Skidrow: 7
Terminal: 10
Underpass: 4
Wasteland: 7

5 and above is fine, so MW2 wins in my book.

Frillen

divisionbyzorro said:
Terminal is easily a 10 IMO. Best map in the game. Lots of little battlegrounds. No really good sniping positions. Great map.

I kinda agree, but it still has some annoying camping spots and some terrible spawning points. But it's great map, no doubt.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Afghan is a horrible, horrible map. Easily the worst in the game. Skidrow, Terminal and Favela are the best ones.

Frillen said:

Wasteland is a 1, fuck that map

RubxQub

I thought Terminal was terrible until I realized you can get into the plane from the back and there's a walkway up to the plane from the other side.

I couldn't ninja for shit in that level until I figured that out :lol

I easily think that Highrise is the worst map. Too many times now I'll get put on a shitty team and we'll get locked into our starting building and be largely unable to get out in any meaningful way. Even utilizing the underground area is rough because you're completely exposed to the people above you, and if you're looking up you're not looking straight ahead for the guys potentially there with you.

Cover the basement area and we've got a deal.

Edit: Wasteland can be really frustrating because snipers will just toss on their thermal scopes, hide in plain sight and be completely unable to spot. I largely focus on the little underground area and either sneaking around to shooting the people in the back or going on the extreme outskirts hunting for snipers.

RubxQub said:
Edit: Wasteland can be really frustrating because snipers will just toss on their thermal scopes, hide in plain sight and be completely unable to spot. I largely focus on the little underground area and either sneaking around to shooting the people in the back or going on the extreme outskirts hunting for snipers.

The constant sniping is shit about wasteland, but also any objective based game mode turns to shit due to killstreaks and there being almost no cover. Every objective based mode played on wasteland goes to the side that can lock down the various air support kill streaks basically forcing the opposing team down into the underground middle the entire time.

BattleMonkey said:
Still doesn't make sense since it was so god damn stupid and contrived. Course thats least of the games story issues. Roland Emmerich can drive giant arks through the plot holes the game has.

Well, we got a clue that Shepherd was a bit off of his rocker and that was the fact that he sent Allen to take part in an terrorist attack. Yeah, it seemed like an AssPull once he burned Roach and Ghost. If they had let us see the intel that Price and Soap had uncovered, then it wouldn't have been seem so as much. I think Shepherd's justification at the end made it better, at least for me.

And name some of the plot holes. I would like to know about them.

Also, to the other poster: You are not working with Makarov at the end since you are still killing his men left and right, you are just getting some intel from him since he most likely wants Shepherd dead for betraying him. It didn't matter if Price and Soap did it or he did it himself, as long as Shepherd died.

Dr Zhivago said:

Towards the end

Shepard led the ill fated US attack in MW1. He feels betrayed by his government because they didn't move against the Ultranationalists after the nuke went off. He wants to create a situation so dire that he is given free reign to do whatever he feels is required to remove the Ultranationalist threat. Makarov is a vicious mercenary-terrorist, he "trades blood for money" and is employed by Shepard. A US soldier is planted in his group to insure the blame for his attack on a Russian airport is put on the US. A satellite containing vital information on the operation of the US defenses falls into Ultranationalist hands (Shepard likely arranged for this to happen and likely used Makarov's connections in the Russian army to insure it was cracked), which is used by the angered Russians to launch an invasion on the US. Shepard gets what he wants and, no longer needing Makarov but wanting to make sure that his connection to him is erased, sends the 141 after him. Once the 141 obtained Makarov's computer files, Shepard no longer needed them and felt they knew too much about the operation, so he killed Roach and Ghost and tried to kill Soap, Price, and Makarov, which led to the ending missions.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
BattleMonkey said:
The constant sniping is shit about wasteland, but also any objective based game mode turns to shit due to killstreaks and there being almost no cover. Every objective based mode played on wasteland goes to the side that can lock down the various air support kill streaks basically forcing the opposing team down into the underground middle the entire time.

If someone gets a Pave Low on Wasteland then you're pretty much fucked. I had that happen to me. It shot me down and then I respawned outside. Before I could reach any kind of shelter I got shot down. And then again. And again.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Afghan: 10
Derail: 9
Estate: 10
Favela: 10
Invasion: 7
Karachi: 5
Quarry: 5
Rundown: 3
Rust: Only played it once in local multiplayer, so can't comment.
Scrapyard: 8
Skidrow: 7
Terminal: 10
Underpass: 4
Wasteland: 7

5 and above is fine, so MW2 wins in my book.

If you swap Karachi and Estate, then we're in business.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
MP is not fun 80% of the time right now, im Level 12 or something, the winning team gets such a lop sided advantage its ridiculous. And Damn you IW for putting Turrets in the game.

Pro-tip: A melee attack (knife or shield bash) will take turrets out.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
~Devil Trigger~ said:

Yeah I posted on this earlier. The winning team can completely dominate a map with the killstreaks, especially with the dumbass care packages.

cameltoe

Frillen said:

WOW... you nailed it! Exactly how I would rate the maps.

DMeisterJ said:
If you swap Karachi and Estate, then we're in business.
Karachi is a map I usually get dominated in, which accounts for my slight dislike for it. Too many random sniper places that gets me all the time. :(

Ultimately, I think that's what it all comes down to. People will like the maps they perform in better, whereas the ones that don't cater to their playing style gets dismissed. None of the maps are actually designed badly.

RubxQub

Ugh...Scrapyard is a nightmare.

Everywhere you are has like 10 different ways to get at you. Everywhere you spawn there's a chance to spawn right next to people (I know, I killed a guy at the B capture point and he immediately respawned in the room and I killed him through his Painkiller perk again...I can only imagine the screaming being done on his end :lol )

Can't ninja for shit in that level either. Just too tight.

Not an awful level, but super frustrating.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Leunam said:
Akimbo P90s with stopping power, sleight of hand, and steady aim is mindless fun.
I used that exact build. Just run around and when you see someone spray bullets, you'll probably kill them. Of course long range, you are fucked.

RubxQub said:
What good is a heartbeat sensor if it doesn't register my Ninja-ass? :D

I get a lot of kills over long disances so I need something with a bit more control. The moment you shoot, the enemy will generally know where you are and I need more than the first bullet to hit them.

Awesome gun from mid to short, but long leaves too much to be desired.

Heartbeat sensors are too slow for me. They don't pulse fast enough and your can't see it when you're running.
I'd M16 your ass before you could even raise your FAL.

espionage

hey guys, I posted about my newbie guide to Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer on Friday and I've updated it with a couple more tips, specifically around newbie friendly class builds. be sure to check it out if you're new and need to improve your game as it seems to be helpful.

several ppl have already begun thanking me for the guide and letting me know that their games are improving, including another GAFfer. hopefully mbmonk, you don't mind that I posted your PM as a testimonial haha

mbmonk said:
After reading it. I started hanging around better players and seeing what they do. After a bit I finished highest on the server 3 times in a row. Thank you.. thank you ... and THANK YOU!

A Newbie’s Guide to Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

RubxQub

Dax01 said:
I'd M16 your ass before you could even raise your FAL.
You wouldn't even know I was there to consider raising your weapon!

I'm very very sneaky.

NameGenerated said:
I used that exact build. Just run around and when you see someone spray bullets, you'll probably kill them. Of course long range, you are fucked.
Well P90 is not my weapon of choice for long range.

Played my first MP match tonight with people shit talking me because I was level 1. Got to level 4 during the match and racked up 11 kills lol. MP is fucking really fun so far. Gotta be careful I don't overdose...

RubxQub

adversesolutions said:
Played my first MP match tonight with people shit talking me because I was level 1. Got to level 4 during the match and racked up 11 kills lol. MP is fucking really fun so far. Gotta be careful I don't overdose...
People shit talking because of rank are idiots. This isn't Halo where the rank is a strong indicator of skills, it's more of a progress indicator.

Someone who is a higher rank has a higher likelihood of being better, simply because they are playing the game a ton...but that isn't necessarily the case.

...really wish there was a way to know how to unlock the emblems/titles. There are so many of them and I have no clue what I should do to unlock them aside from keep playing the game and killing people in weird ways. :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Frillen said:
Name ONE god thing about Karachi! :p

The whole map is great. There's not a whole bunch of places for snipers to camp (and not be seen) but it's also not so close quartered that machine gunners, shotgunners, and noob tubers ruin all the fun. It also has a great mix of high and low points unlike most levels.

It's so awesome <3

Brakara

ItsInMyVeins said:
If someone gets a Pave Low on Wasteland then you're pretty much fucked. I had that happen to me. It shot me down and then I respawned outside. Before I could reach any kind of shelter I got shot down. And then again. And again.

Have a class ready with a Stinger and Cold Blooded. Problem solved. Well, except for the snipers who will shoot you down while you're staring at the skies.

Top Bottom