• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Tenkai Star said:
Well P90 is not my weapon of choice for long range.
Obviously, but sometimes you see someone far away on a map like Invasion and you either have to die or just get the hell out of there.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Question: what's the difference between hologram and red dot? I don't see that much of a difference...

My map ratings would be...

Afghan: 7
Derail: 4
Estate: 9
Favela: 8
Highrise: 7
Invasion: 4
Karachi: 3
Quarry: 6
Rundown: 6
Rust: 2
Scrapyard: 4
Skidrow: 9
Terminal: 6
Underpass: 7
Wasteland: 9

DMeisterJ

Banned
Brakara said:
Have a class ready with a Stinger and Cold Blooded. Problem solved. Well, except for the snipers who will shoot you down while you're staring at the skies.

Yep.

I don't get it. As soon as I hear (Enemy harrier inbound) or any variation thereof, it's time to press start, change class, and then wait for my inevitable death. Once it ha ppens, I'm back with Cold Blooded and my stinger and I take the motherfucker out.

Easy as pie.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I have to admit this game is pretty fun.

I only got up to the second mission but boy was that fun:
Riding the snowmobiles was just awesome, felt such a rush there.

I did almost have a stupid moment
where your partner gets busted inside that warehouse and he says to go to Plan B. I'm sitting there going "what the hell is Plan B?" and some device pops up in my hand. As the terrorist is doing the countdown I'm sitting there going "what the hell is this thing? What do I do with it?" I then realize it was the bomb I planted and finally press it as his countdown gets to 1.
:lol

DMeisterJ said:
Yep.

I don't get it. As soon as I hear (Enemy harrier inbound) or any variation thereof, it's time to press start, change class, and then wait for my inevitable death. Once it ha ppens, I'm back with Cold Blooded and my stinger and I take the motherfucker out.

Easy as pie.
You don't even need Cold Blooded half the time.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Brakara said:
Have a class ready with a Stinger and Cold Blooded. Problem solved. Well, except for the snipers who will shoot you down while you're staring at the skies.

I have one class with stingers now, but I did not that time which was one of the earlier MW2 matches I played :p

buy teh haloz said:
You don't even need Cold Blooded half the time.

Doesn't it also hide you from UAVs?

DMeisterJ

Banned
j-wood said:
Does anyone know give or take how many people are playing the ps3 version?

Playing concurrently? I don't really know. I think I saw like 750k once, but that was back around launch day. The leaderboards bottomed out at 2.31 million at around 2 AM when I was playing last. So give or take 2 million people.

It's never hard to find a game (aside from shitty matchmaking) and there's tons of people in most playlists (aside from the shitty third-person).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well for what its worth here is my semi-angry list :

Afghan: 5 - looks great visually but can be annoying
Derail: 0 - I have no words for this abortion of a map
Estate: 4
Highrise: 9
Invasion: 7
Karachi: 2
Quarry: 8
Rundown: 7
Rust: - have yet to play this one
Scrapyard: 1
Skidrow: 2
Terminal: 8
Underpass: 2
Wasteland: 0

God, its soo bad when I look at it :/ , I seriously seriously hate some of the maps, I mean they really get to me they anger me without apparent reason as soon as I see them I just wanna smash my controller....

NGGHHHHHHHHHH, I wish I could choose which map to play

DSN2K

for all the time Ive played there are still maps Ive never played once, you would think they would make it so you play each one at least once over certain period time. :lol

Willectro

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Question: what's the difference between hologram and red dot? I don't see that much of a difference...

I agree in terms of the game.

IRL, the hologram remains focused on the target, regardless of the angle (to a certain extent) in which the shooter is looking through the sight. Excellent for quick target acquisition.

I think it boils down to preference.

cameltoe

RubxQub said:
...really wish there was a way to know how to unlock the emblems/titles. There are so many of them and I have no clue what I should do to unlock them aside from keep playing the game and killing people in weird ways. :lol

yea, I dropped my third nuke and got the title "global thermal nuclear" or something like that

Biff

Wow, this is really sad, but I finally understand what gun ratings mean in terms of damage and range. I thought they had no effect on each other, but now I realize they are dependent on each other.. Range has nothing to do with how far you can see/shoot.. It means how far you can shoot without losing damage.

Damage at X distance = Range * Damage

Damage in this game can be predicted based on gun stats:
A full damage bar means death - a one shot kill.
A full range bar means unlimited range.

If a sniper rifle has a 100 range rating and a 80 damage rating, it will hit with 80 damage at any distance. If a pistol has 20 range and 20 damage, it will take 5 shots to kill someone if you're within range. Out of range, it could take double or triple that. Don't even bother trying to snipe someone with your pistol. If you land a hit, you do significantly less damage.. They may not even take red strawberry jam on their screen for the first couple shots! :lol

So for example, I couldn't figure out why 7-8 P90 shots at 20 feet easily kills anyone, but that same amount at 200 feet does nothing, despite me taking careful shots to make the bullets hit.... Now I realize that as distance increases, bullet speed decreases and thus damage decreases as well.

This may be painfully obvious to most, but my game has changed after looking at it from a mathematical, formulaic point of view. Hope it helps someone ;)

It's really weird how sporadically some maps pop up online. I was +6 hours in before I had my first playthrough of either Subbase or Terminal, yet there are times that I've played Invasion 2 times in a row, once even 3 times. COD4 was similar, but I guess the large amount of maps in this game only exacerbates the issue.

Also, goddammit I've been brutally destroyed in this game. It's only now @ level 22-23 that I feel like things are coming together. Bling has been an absolute godsend, I'm starting to get the flow of the maps, & I think I'm ready to move on from Hardline to Stopping Power. No more 2-15 matches for me :lol

Lastly, this game seems more sniper/camper friendly than I like. I've had to really tone down my run & gun, something which I got away with much more in COD4 & WAW.

ACE 1991

tsigo said:
On 360 at least, and I assume PS3 as well, there's some minor aim assist, where your sights will follow someone if you're very close to them. It's not the same as single player where if you aim down the sights anywhere close to their body it snaps to them.

I'm playing through the game on regular with aim assit off. It makes the game feel more intense, as I feel the ridiculous amount of auto aim on the singleplayer really cheapens a lot of the game.

kodt

Banned
Heartbeat sensor + thermal scope is so overpowered on Search and Destroy if you don't have it yourself. Since it is one death per round you have almost no chance of sneaking up on someone or not getting snuck up on if they have heartbeat sensor. You can't defend a site by lying in the grass either b/c of thermal scope. Basically you cannot even play this mode until you have both.

Also why does the EMP break the ACOG scope? I didn't think those were electronic IRL.

Game is still fun though.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
What is the point of the thermal scope? Utter shit, IMO, if I wanted a sniper rifle, I'd pick a damn sniper.

Also, I really wish IW would smarten up the Hardcore playlists: Remove all perks, no running, no aim assists. Stuff like that.

-Amon-

espionage said:
hey guys, I posted about my newbie guide to Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer on Friday and I've updated it with a couple more tips, specifically around newbie friendly class builds. be sure to check it out if you're new and need to improve your game as it seems to be helpful.

several ppl have already begun thanking me for the guide and letting me know that their games are improving, including another GAFfer. hopefully mbmonk, you don't mind that I posted your PM as a testimonial haha

A Newbie’s Guide to Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer

Really good job. Now that i'm many hours into the game, i wish i'd seen your job before !

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's go time:

Afghan: 9
Can be a sniper's haven but has enough cover and elevation for people to flank them. A solid map for almost all game types.

Derail: 9
Another one of those maps that would seem like a sniper's haven, but again has enough junctions to make it interesting for non-snipers like myself.

Estate: 2
Pretty horrid map that's hard to see people on, and gaining control of the cabin is pretty much an insta-win for the team in it. I hate this map, but it sure is pretty (and a great design on paper...ugh).

Can have a bit too many rooftops, but it's easy to flank people on up there as you run around the map. Quite a bit of fun.

Highrise: 8
Solid, fun mini-level that has a decent number of routes to create an exciting round.

Invasion: 6
Fine map, but I never really have much fun with it. It's pretty much entirely ground-level fighting, with little cover. You can get a good amount of cheap deaths here with people in the embassy/roof.

Karachi: 9
Frantic map with no place to hide. I love this one...you have to keep moving or you're pretty much dead. Camping spots are readily apparent and are easy to flush out,, and the close combat calls for some shotgun/riot shield action. Fantastic map.

Quarry: 7
Alright map, again, haven't really had amazing battles on this one but decent enough to stick around for.

Rundown: 8
A very unpredictable, confusing map that really serves the thermal/airstrike teams. Can be easy to get sniped on but it's chaotic design keeps the action fresh.

Rust: 9
Cmon, if you can't appreciate this insanely small map...then you shouldn't be playing this game. An absolute blast on FFA, but deduct 8 points for any other type of gameplay mode.

Scrapyard: 4
Too small, and too easy to gain complete control over certain areas of the map. Reminds me of MW1 maps...which is a bad thing.

Skidrow: 10
A great indoor map that eliminates nearly all killstreak bonuses, resulting in some pretty intense indoor firefights. Fantastic map.

Terminal: 10
Another one that has a ton of junctions for people to get around in, plus has something for everyone. There are danger zones that rewards players for using (the long hallway which leads to anywhere the player wants to go) and there's no choke points, which is crazy. Fun fun fun.

Underpass: -
Haven't played this one enough to form an opinion on just yet. I like what I've played so far though.

Wasteland: 7
This can actually be a fun map when teams are trying to take control of the center underground trench (happened in three instances, and MAN is that fun) but is horribly un-fun when playing as a sniper's paradise.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
will52 said:
I agree in terms of the game.

IRL, the hologram remains focused on the target, regardless of the angle (to a certain extent) in which the shooter is looking through the sight. Excellent for quick target acquisition.

I think it boils down to preference.

Also, parallax, lasers, blah, blah, blah, yeah, means nothing in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just completed the campaign , to be honest I am very disappointed , first few mission were pure chaos and I liked the urban warfare level ( brazil , Afghanistan ) , but the rest did nothing for me , the story the action scripted events and even the voice acting all are absolutely not the COD quality , Sorry IW , I love you and all but MW1 and WaW's SP >>> MW2's SP.

Az

Ok map rating guys, pretty much tells me everyone has their own preference. Shock.

I am starting to digg this game more and more. I was under 1000 on the score rank but have fallen to about 4000 even tough I play almost every night with the guys. There are some hardcore people out there.

Consider myself pretty decent at the game.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Old?

fmq72r.jpg

PC version connecting to XBOX Live.

:lol Did EA make this game?

Just release all the goddamn maps from COD4 as a super bundle (willing to pay $15 bucks for it) and call it a day!

:)

Oh and chubs:

1. Goddamnit, you never reply to the party invite :/
2. I don't agree with your review for Estate. The insta-win is NOT taking over the Point A Cabin (I'm sure you're talking about the big cabin) but insta-win is taking over the middle small cabin with destroyed cars around it (Point B).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dabanton said:
lol at getting angry at the maps. Take some time out start a private match with yourself and explore.
It isn't about map knowledge, it's about the maps being heavily slanted towards one type of gun over another (snipers vs not snipers).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
shagg_187 said:
Just release all the goddamn maps from COD4 as a super bundle (willing to pay $15 bucks for it) and call it a day!

:)

Oh and chubs:

1. Goddamnit, you never reply to the party invite :/
2. I don't agree with your review for Estate. The insta-win is NOT taking over the Point A Cabin (I'm sure you're talking about the big cabin) but insta-win is taking over the middle small cabin with destroyed cars around it (Point B).
Aw, I have notifications off. I'll turn them back on next time. :D

Interesting about the cabin thing, I'll have to try that next time!

Hawk SE

To the haters of Wasteland: It is a remake of the COD/COD2 map "Brecourt". Appreciate the history behind this map. One of the best original Call of Duty maps!

Brakara said:
Doesn't the thing just shoot out flares making my stinger useless?

HooCares

Neo Member
AC130 vs. Chopper Gunner - your opinion on which is better?

Is one harder to shoot down than the other?

Do they last the same amount of time?

What about the pavelow? Is it that much better than the normal chopper? I seem to see it shot down quite easily.

HooCares said:

What about the pavelow? Is it that much better than the normal chopper? I seem to see it shot down quite easily.

AC130 all the way.

Chopper gunner can get shot down too easily...... where as the AC130 has the big death angel flares.

0.jpg

Try shooting something down like that!

You have to shoot multi rockets to take it down......

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MidnightRider said:
AC130 all the way.

Chopper gunner can get shot down too easily...... where as the AC130 has the big death angel flares.

0.jpg

Try shooting something down like that!

You have to shoot multi rockets to take it down......
I've shot four rockets at that thing and it still does chaffs. I think it's impossible to take down. :(

HooCares said:

I prefer the chopper gunner; it's easier to aim than the AC-130 and can fire through walls.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Had a pretty amazing match last night in afghan. The other team was crushing us. A few of them were camping in one of the cement bunker emplacements. They would get on the floor with the heartbeat sensor and shoot out before you could even see them.

After getting killed a few times i was able to get a triple kill with some stun grenades, and a great grenade launcher shot. They proceeded to come back and try to camp some more. One of them got a care package. Of course he threw the marker outside of the bunker. Right after that they came out to get package and I hit them with a grenade launcher to the face and then stole the package. It happened to be a turret... I set it up in the bunker behind a jutting out wall. We started owning and another one of my teammates got a turret and put it in the doorway.

We ended winning by 100 points. :lol :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You can take it down, but it seems like you have to hit it while it's reloading or shooting, otherwise it'll activate the flares.

...not to mention that that AC130 flies off in the distance so it's much harder to spot.

Random aside: Why can't missiles just take an average of the heat-signatures and fly into the middle of the target (the plane) instead of just aimlessly going towards whatever the hottest thing is?

Seems like that defense shouldn't work this day and age unless no one is advancing heat seeking missile software.
MThanded said:
Had a pretty amazing match last night in afghan. The other team was crushing us. A few of them were camping in one of the cement bunker emplacements. They would get on the floor with the heartbeat sensor and shoot out before you could even see them.

After getting killed a few times i was able to get a triple kill with some stun grenades, and a great grenade launcher shot. They proceeded to come back and try to camp some more. One of them got a care package. Of course he threw the marker outside of the bunker. Right after that they came out to get package and I hit them with a grenade launcher to the face and then stole the package. It happened to be a turret... I set it up int he bunker and the rest was history. We won by 100 points.
You would use the noob tube...

KIDDING

DuckRacer said:
Your stinger has two missiles. Shoot one at it to draw out the flares, then shoot another at it again.

Only bad thing is most of the time it's flares have recharged by the time you reload........

It's best to have more than one person with Stingers shooting at it.

DuckRacer said:
Your stinger has two missiles. Shoot one at it to draw out the flares, then shoot another at it again.

And by then you are sniped on wasteland. And the stinger only helps you possibly deal with one killstreak. On wasteland in objective based modes if a team takes the lead and start pumping out killstreak aeriels they just usually lock down the map and force one team into the underground where they are easily corralled into... then they toss in some sentry gun defenses and swarm the bunker, ugh.

Anyone know a good website to find all of the Emblems and Titles listed and how to get them?

I've seen a few titles on lower leveled guys that I want and haven't unlocked.

like "Mad Man"

Top Bottom