• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MidnightRider said:
Anyone know a good website to find all of the Emblems and Titles listed and how to get them?

I've seen a few titles on lower leveled guys that I want and haven't unlocked.

like "Mad Man"
I unlocked Mad Man. That game I had a pretty vicious killstreak, so it may be something to do with having a 10+ killstreak or a 10:1 K/D ratio or something like that.

...but I agree. Some way to know how to unlock things would be nice.

LosDaddie

Banned
So after finishing the campaign on Hardened and playing about 8hrs of the MP (X360 version), MW2 is officially my GotY. I dunno...I was hyped for the game and somehow IW managed to blow me away. Awesome campaign and the MP is addictive.

I'm kinda upset that I'll be out of town for the next 2 weekends, and won't be able to play MW2 that much.

On a side note: I got to play my bro's PS3 version and I couldn't tell any difference. Well....maybe the PS3 is not as bright as the X360 version, but I've had my HDTV professionally calibrated and my bro has not. Playing the PS3 version did reinforce my preference for the X360 controller for FPSs though.

PSN was running smooth for the 2hrs or so I played online.

Odrion

Banned
Hawk xSx said:
To the haters of Wasteland: It is a remake of the COD/COD2 map "Brecourt". Appreciate the history behind this map. One of the best original Call of Duty maps!
Wasteland is one of my favorites. It's the grassy knoll snipe-fest map done right.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to be the only one on your team trying to capture hq's? To watch your teammates sit there, hiding inside a building?

Odrion

Banned
The best maps in MW2 aren't as good as MW1's best, but the worst maps aren't as bad either.

There's people who hate Afgan? That's definitely one of my favorites.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
commish said:
Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to be the only one on your team trying to capture hq's? To watch your teammates sit there, hiding inside a building?

Sounds about as annoying as when someone takes the bomb in search & destroy and then proceeds to camp in a building far from the A or B spot.

Odrion said:

Awful, awful map. Even worse than Wasteland.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
MidnightRider said:
Anyone know a good website to find all of the Emblems and Titles listed and how to get them?

I've seen a few titles on lower leveled guys that I want and haven't unlocked.

like "Mad Man"

I got "Mad Man" after getting wrecking 7 or 8 dudes with my sentry gun in headquarters, so maybe it's for being outnumbered?

HooCares

Neo Member
Harrier vs. Chopper - what advantage does the chopper have? They both die from 1 stinger, the harrier at least performs a mini airstrike.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
HooCares said:
Harrier vs. Chopper - what advantage does the chopper have? They both die from 1 stinger, the harrier at least performs a mini airstrike.

Ummm....The Chopper moves a little bit? I think the harrier stays in place.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Odrion said:
The best maps in MW2 aren't as good as MW1's best, but the worst maps aren't as bad either.

Yeah afghan is a lot of fun.

Odrion

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Awful, awful map. Even worse than Wasteland.
You're weird. It's awesome and it feels like a really good combination of MW1's chokepoint style of maps and MW2's hectic "they're coming from all sides" that can be a pain.

Plus I love how brightly lit it is. God, that's another thing that bugs me, I swear that a lot more maps in MW2 fucks with low lighting. It's a pain in the ass for me to make stuff out when the map is dark and cloudy or when it's sunset (which feels like all but Afgan and the South African one. Actually.) Treyarch even knew that this sucks and made one of their dark maps a daylight one.

Also the spawn system is fucked in this game. There's been too many times where it'll spawn me right behind enemy lines with no one else around, fuck there's been times where it'll spawn me right inside where the enemy is spawning.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Odrion said:
Wasteland is one of my favorites. It's the grassy knoll snipe-fest map done right.

Seems I've been unlucky I guess, because every single god damn time I play that game everybody except me runs in that bunkerthingy and die for 10 minutes straight :(

Afghan is too Ghost Recon-like. Although I was treated to a couple of deaths courtesy of some a-hole's Javelin. Apparently I was so exposed that he could just direct them right down on me. :lol

itsinmyveins

Odrion said:
You're weird. It's awesome and it feels like a really good combination of MW1's chokepoint style of maps and MW2's hectic "they're coming from all sides" that can be a pain.

Plus I love how brightly lit it is. God, that's another thing that bugs me, I swear that a lot more maps in MW2 fucks with low lighting. It's a pain in the ass for me to make stuff out when the map is dark and cloudy or when it's sunset (which feels like all but Afgan. Actually.)

Treyarch even knew that this sucks and made one of their dark maps a daylight one.

Everytime I've played it it's been a sniper haven with the opposing team setting up shop in the part with a few houses and the bunker which is very easy to defend since there's pretty much only two different routes there.

Odrion

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Everytime I've played it it's been a sniper haven with the opposing team setting up shop in the part with a few houses and the bunker which is very easy to defend since there's pretty much only two different routes there.
Never had a problem taking out those spots and defending them until my team takes it over.

itsinmyveins

Odrion said:
Never had a problem taking out those spots and defending them until my team takes it over.

Clearly, we haven't had the same team/opposing teams then. It's the single map I can't seem to play well on -- even Wasteland can be fine from time to time.

Dax01 said:
Any map that has snow on it is awesome.

...No. Derail is terrible, I hate the design/layout. Nothing to do with disliking snipers, they don't bother me. Sub base(?) is tolerable at best.

My favorites so far: Afghan, wasteland, invasion, skidrow.

itsinmyveins

Assembly Required said:
...No. Derail is terrible, I hate the design/layout. Nothing to do with disliking snipers, they don't bother me. Sub base(?) is tolerable at best.

Derail is fine and I think Sub base is kinda awesome, actually.

jiien

HooCares said:
Didn't realize that. That is a significant difference then.

Yeah, I can confirm that. The chopper likes to move around, hover for a few seconds, move again, usually four times or so (kinda like moving around to the four quadrants of the map, though it's probably not that specific). The Harrier hovers over the same spot.

The chopper is clearly better against non-lockon launchers, and if you don't know where the enemy is. The Harrier is beast if you know exactly where the enemy is, and you have a good team to corner/hold them there. I've gotten 10 kills within a minute from good Harrier placement, but the chopper will guarantee you at least a few kills.

DarkJC said:
"The map is terrible because I suck at it"

Exactly.

DarkJC

ItsInMyVeins said:
Clearly, we haven't had the same team/opposing teams then. It's the single map I can't seem to play well on -- even Wasteland can be fine from time to time.

MThanded

ItsInMyVeins said:
Grenade launcher, stun grenades

DarkJC said:
:lol

only thing I dont like about the new maps and the multiple ways to go around them is when you join late into a match and the other team has set up spawning can be a nightmare. Spawning just to get mowed down by an LMG or spawning in the middle of the stealth bomber.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is Rust FFA only or something? I am level 45 now and I have not seen it once. :lol

Same thing happened in COD4 with shipment until it started showing up constantly for Headquarters and massive XP gains followed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I love the level 70s who play FFA, which normally consists of low level ppl who can't play anything else but ffa/tdm.

MThanded

Has anyone else been added to a match with 1 minute left and the team you are on is getting demolished?????? This has happened quite a few times to me. Its probably killing my win/loss ratio.

RubxQub

commish said:
I love the level 70s who play FFA, which normally consists of low level ppl who can't play anything else but ffa/tdm.
Oh god...I wouldn't even consider playing this game on FFA. It's bad enough that I can get shot from everywhere all the time...now EVERYONE is a target?!

Sounds totally chaotic :lol

I get pissed off enough at TDM, I can't even imagine how furious FFA would make me.
MThanded said:
Has anyone else been added to a match with 1 minute left and the team you are on is getting demolished?????? This has happened quite a few times to me. Its probably killing my win/loss ratio.
I got put in a game where it literally ended IMMEDIATELY after I joined, pegging me with a loss :lol

K/D ratio and W/L record are really tainted stats because they are global and not mode specific.

In team deathmatch, K/D ratio is really all that matters.
In domination/tactical, win ratio is really all that matters.

...but sadly these stats are all global so I have a hard time caring about them (even though I do :lol )

HooCares

Neo Member
jiien said:
Yeah, I can confirm that. The chopper likes to move around, hover for a few seconds, move again, usually four times or so (kinda like moving around to the four quadrants of the map, though it's probably not that specific). The Harrier hovers over the same spot.

The chopper is clearly better against non-lockon launchers, and if you don't know where the enemy is. The Harrier is beast if you know exactly where the enemy is, and you have a good team to corner/hold them there. I've gotten 10 kills within a minute from good Harrier placement, but the chopper will guarantee you at least a few kills.

I've been having a lot of success with the harrier but wondered if I should try the chopper or if it's better. With less people equipping UAV as a killstreak I'm wondering if the chopper might be better in many cases as you won't know exactly where to place an airstrike all of the time.

Also, how is it determined when you are granted a killstreak unlock?

Hyunkel6

MThanded said:

Happens to me often, usually for domination or headquarters. The worst is getting into a game only to be greeted with a loss screen 3-5 seconds after. I guess there's no fix to this?

Assembly Required said:

By "terrible" you mean it's awesome.

MThanded

Hyunkel6 said:
Happens to me often, usually for domination or headquarters. The worst is getting into a game only to be greeted with a loss screen 3-5 seconds after. I guess there's no fix to this?
I am assuming there is a pretty easy fix for this. The matchmaking code needs to not put you in the match when it is almost over. Pretty simple. Not sure why they even put you in at that time.

I've discovered the joys of C4 in Domination. :D

"THEY'RE TAKING BRAVO!"
*click*
Lots of bonus points appear.

I was having great fun with it on Estate just now (hide C4 in the grass by A). Eventually they gave up trying to take it. It's even better when I get to put multiple C4s down thanks to Scavenger; they see one and shoot it, thinking they're safe. Until I blow them up that is :lol

I also got a very nice triple kill with the predator missile. That boost function is very helpful.

RubxQub

MThanded said:
I am assuming there is a pretty easy fix for this. The matchmaking code needs to not put you in the match when it is almost over. Pretty simple. Not sure why they even put you in at that time.
It's a weird issue.

On one hand, if a lot of people leave a game, the people around now have an incredibly uneven play experience, so filling them with people balances things out.

On the other hand, getting put into a losing situation seems pretty damn unfair. You had no impact on the situation you were put in, and now the teams are lob-sided with a ton of time run off the clock.

Do they draw the line at 1 minute remaining? 2 minutes? 5?

They need to balance the non-quitters ability to fight back and the potential-joiners capacity to accept the situation they were put in.

The easy solution (that IW went with) is to just say "fuck it, that's too hard, just leave it open regardless." :lol

MThanded

RubxQub said:
It's a weird issue.

On one hand, if a lot of people leave a game, the people around now have an incredibly uneven play experience, so filling them with people balances things out.

On the other hand, getting put into a losing situation seems pretty damn unfair. You had no impact on the situation you were put in, and now the teams are lob-sided with a ton of time run off the clock.

Do they draw the line at 1 minute remaining? 2 minutes? 5?

They need to balance the non-quitters ability to fight back and the potential-joiners capacity to accept the situation they were put in.

The easy solution (that IW went with) is to just say "fuck it, that's too hard, just leave it open regardless." :lol

Unless the person coming is in God there is now way they are gonna win it for you with 1 minute left and a large point deficit.I can understand them putting us in because they are lacking but there have to be some limits. Its all good though. Not really that big of a deal. I am more frustrated because I only get in a game for one minute before its over.

LosDaddie

Banned
RubxQub said:
Oh god...I wouldn't even consider playing this game on FFA. It's bad enough that I can get shot from everywhere all the time...now EVERYONE is a target?!

Sounds totally chaotic :lol

I like the chaos in FFA:D

RubxQub

MThanded said:
Unless the person coming is in God there is now way they are gonna win it for you with 1 minute left and a large point deficit.
Agreed.

I'd probably do a check on the team deficit and the time remaining to determine if the game is joinable or not.

You don't want to create a situation where teams are penalized by people leaving by having a smaller team, but on the other hand you don't want people joining to feel robbed.

There are definitely some extreme cases that IW should protect against, however.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Derail is fine and I think Sub base is kinda awesome, actually.
I started not liking these maps because they make thermal sighting useless, but then I started to appreciate Derail. Sub Base though, meh, unimaginative.

GeeDuhb

Maybe this has been discussed, but I have not been on in a few days (or followed this thread for that matter)...too addicted to this game and working...But annnnnnnyway...

Anyone get the Hardened/Prestige editions and tried CoD: Classic yet? I got the Hardened, but have not even thought about D/Ling it yet :lol . Just wondered how it plays/looks/etc.

MThanded said:

All the time. I can see the point to it -- you've got to even out unbalanced games before directing people to new games, but yeah, here's worst case scenario:

I have TWICE now joined such unbalanced games where a nuclear strike ended the game within 30 seconds.
Me: What's that warning siren? Oh, that's just the sound of an instant loss.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Haven't posted here in a while, but maaaaaaaaaaan this game is the cause of me going to sleep so damn late the past few days - ugh...

Me and friends are just playing for way too long, long after when I declare the next match to be "my last match for the night/morning" - then Terminal shows up and then you think "Fuck that, no way I'm leaving when Terminal is up next" - then you unlock something new and you wanna try it out the next match, then you get a good match going and don't want to stop because you're on fire, THEN you see that you're close to leveling up and think, "let me at least rank up before I go offline"...

DAMN it man. Too damn addictive.

Terminal is easily mine and my friends' favorite map by far, then Skidrow, then probably most maps like Derail and other maps - the bottom of the pile would be those camping-infestation maps that bitches just put up tents and sit in - fuck the campers for real - especially when I'm used to playing shooters that barely have any...

I play aggressive in anything I play, so it really pisses me off to get killed while running through some obscure part of the map and get killed by some guy sitting in the same spot for who knows how long just for that one kill - I always go back for that bastard and kill him anyways, but still.

MThanded said:

Yup.

Only about twice or so, but silly when it does happen - last time it did, I joined and it was over in the next five seconds, with a 200 - 158 loss, before I could properly even choose my loadout...

Top Bottom