• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

HooCares

Neo Member
Thanks for all the info guys - one more question.

Can you have 2 streaks active at once?

If I call in a harrier/chopper, get two quick kills and then call in a Pavelow, will it make my existing chopper leave the area or will 2 be out at once?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
HooCares said:
Thanks for all the info guys - one more question.

Can you have 2 streaks active at once?

If I call in a harrier/chopper, get two quick kills and then call in a Pavelow, will it make my existing chopper leave the area or will 2 be out at once?
You'll get a message about "Airspace too crowded, will activate when it clears" or something like that if there are too many air-based killstreaks going on at the moment.

Not sure if you could have something like a Harrier and a Pavelow going at the same time, though. My current killstreak setup is Predator Missle -> Harrier Strike with a Care Package as a random thing.

blahness

divisionbyzorro said:
Damn! How did I not know this? I feel like an idiot now! No more watching my teammates kill enemies in my predator camera...

heh yeah until you see 3-4 enemies, you use the afterburner and they all die 1 second before it hits. another teammate stole my kills with his predator missle

Sean

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
Happens to me often, usually for domination or headquarters. The worst is getting into a game only to be greeted with a loss screen 3-5 seconds after. I guess there's no fix to this?

This happens to me quite often. I join the game and barely have enough time to pick my loadout before the match ends (always in a loss). It's a bit silly.

bdouble

The maps are great. Feel sort of like the single player with people on all sorts of verticality.

So many split opinions and I think it really depends on what gamemode your playing.

I disliked sub base because I was getting rolled in domination but had an amazing match last night. To me the biggest factor is team balance. If you play a competent party then any has potential for sucking. But when on a balanced ctf estate is freaking amazing.

Honestly can't say I dislike any of the maps. I've had good and bad experience on all of them.

daw840

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yes. Stopping Power Pro also gives additional damage to vehicles from your primary weapon.

Pressing the fire button engages the missiles afterburner.

OH SHIT! Really?!? That's fucking awesome. Thanks man.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the care package is a great addition. It really adds to the depth of gameplay. It makes for some hilarious situations when someone gets crushed by the box.

HooCares

Neo Member
RubxQub said:
You'll get a message about "Airspace too crowded, will activate when it clears" or something like that if there are too many air-based killstreaks going on at the moment.

Not sure if you could have something like a Harrier and a Pavelow going at the same time, though. My current killstreak setup is Predator Missle -> Harrier Strike with a Care Package as a random thing.

Thanks.

I did this a couple times and didn't get the message about crowded airspace and was left with just one chopper. I suppose the other was destroyed at about the same time as my other was called in.

Good to know about the "crowded airspace message." This seems similar to cod 4 where you could only have 1 chopper/airstrike happening at once.

HooCares

Neo Member
MThanded said:
I think the care package is a great addition. It really adds to the depth of gameplay. It makes for some hilarious situations when someone gets crushed by the box.

I stopped using it b/c I found myself wasting too much time getting to a safe/secure area to use it, rather than focusing on getting more kills playing the game. There is no worse feeling in the world then calling in a package and having a hidden enemy kill you and steal it.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
DarkJC said:
"The map is terrible because I suck at it"

A very good reason to dislike a map. But the point is that the games I've played on Afghan have been far less enjoyable than on any other map. Chalk it up to me sucking exclusively on one of the MW2-maps, great opposing teams or me having a sucky team while I also suck at that map. Whatever, you know.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Shooting an airport full of unarmed civillians and appropriately responding law enforcement didn't irk you, but shooting up a stone edifice did?

Yeah, it did. I also think that infinity ward handled the scene very poorly but I had that conversation earlier in the thread.

There's something about bringing a war to a memorial for one of mankind's most bloody conflicts that I find offensive and a bit disrespectful.

GeeDuhb

RubxQub said:

LOVE this message. Hated that in 4, you could only have 1 Airstrike/Heli up at the same time, and had to wait till it was gone to launch yours. I would always wait until it would disappear, and right before I called it in, someone would beat me to the punch! I love that it will automatically do it for you when the airspace is clear.

HooCares said:
I stopped using it b/c I found myself wasting too much time getting to a safe/secure area to use it, rather than focusing on getting more kills playing the game. There is no worse feeling in the world then calling in a package and having a hidden enemy kill you and steal it.
That's bad, but the worst is taking your time to get it and heaving it be a resupply case. :\

jiien

MWS Natural said:
How does fire rate and dmg relate? What would put a guy down faster higher dmg or higher fire rate?

Depends on where you hit him. Higher fire rate is exactly what it says, and you may get a head shot in there. Or, you can have higher damage.

It's sort of like an increased critical chance, or just higher damage overall.

(Better yet, use Stopping Power Pro and the Rapid Fire attachment for the SMGs, and now you have a massive close range killing machine!)

Seriously, depends on how good you are (do you get headshots a lot? or spray and pray often?) and what type of weapon you use.

Edit: From experience, I like higher damage better (I like to use ARs). However, they tend to perform roughly the same. The higher fire rate is going to make you recoil like hell, so if you tend not to be accurate to begin with, then don't use it. Either way, you have to make every bullet count, so if you can't manage that with the higher recoil you'll get with fire rate, then...

snoopeasystreet said:
Yeah, it did. I also think that infinity ward handled the scene very poorly but I had that conversation earlier in the thread.

There's something about bringing a war to a memorial for one of mankind's most bloody conflicts that I find offensive and a bit disrespectful.

I'd say steer clear of Fallout 3, then. Also, don't play Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 as you will fucking kill the Statue of Liberty. Yes, you kill liberty itself! And that was developed by the Japanese, one of our fiercest enemies ever!

DarkJC

ItsInMyVeins said:
A very good reason to dislike a map. But the point is that the games I've played on Afghan have been far less enjoyable than on any other map. Chalk it up to me sucking exclusively on one of the MW2-maps, great opposing teams or me having a sucky team while I also suck at that map. Whatever, you know.

To dislike a map, sure, but by no means would I say the map is a terrible map, even if I didn't like it. To me there's a difference between terrible maps and maps I don't like, the former being designed badly and the latter being ones I'm not good at.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I'd say steer clear of Fallout 3, then. Also, don't play Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 as you will fucking kill the Statue of Liberty. Yes, you kill liberty itself! And that was developed by the Japanese, one of our fiercest enemies ever!
Hilarious. The Japanese must have a think tank that is, night and day, trying to out-japenese themselves.

Terrifyer

Banned
grif1020 said:
I had the exact same issue and then I read up the Steam forums and discovered all you have to do is let it sit for a minute and then it will unfreeze. IW is working on a fix according to Valve.

Thanks, that worked. I actually saw that post on the forums as well but I guess didn't wait long enough the first time.

RubxQub

DarkJC said:
To dislike a map, sure, but by no means would I say the map is a terrible map, even if I didn't like it. To me there's a difference between terrible maps and maps I don't like, the former being designed badly and the latter being ones I'm not good at.
These two things are pretty closely related, aren't they?

For instance, since I REFUSE to ever use a sniper rifle, certain maps are skewed against me. I don't always do worse on those maps, but I have to be a bit more creative to pull my usual K/D ratios.

If a map isn't working for someone, that map probably has something about it that doesn't lend itself to that person's playstyle or build. Ideally every map would be balanced in a way that all types of players can flourish.

I'm cool with how it is, but it still frustrates me when it throws me into a sniper's paradise map.

Dyno

Can any MP masters list the maps and state whether they are short, medium or long ranged maps? This would really help noobs pick their loadout. I'm only at level 10 and haven't seen enough of the maps yet to draw my own conclusions.

If anyone does this for me I'll join their friends list and watch their back when they go out to secure care packages.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
DarkJC said:

My biggest gripe is that you can easily defend the higher parts behind the bunkers and have a good vision of a large portion of the map. If you're playing against a competent team that can either turn into you dying when trying to get there most of the time, or a very slow waiting game. So my dislike of that map stems from me thinking it's designed poorly and making it easy for a sniper heavy team, as opposed to favela for instance, where there's pretty much always several routes to any given point. Same goes for Wasteland, actually.

Now, had I been a player who actually liked playing as a sniper then I might have been of a different opinion, but I never play as one. In that sense it's definitely a case of preferences, then.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there somewhere online to view stats or am I just spoiled by Halo and Bungie's great stat tracking? (First time playing COD online)

Also, have any of you had issues logging into Infinity Ward's website? I registered an account but I've had random misc. issues where sometimes it won't recognize my login...but then I can login from the forums. The other I also logged in successfully and under my profile options it looked like I was logged in as someone else...ugh

jiien

RubxQub said:
These two things are pretty closely related, aren't they?

For instance, since I REFUSE to ever use a sniper rifle, certain maps are skewed against me. I don't always do worse on those maps, but I have to be a bit more creative to pull my usual K/D ratios.

If a map isn't working for someone, that map probably has something about it that doesn't lend itself to that person's playstyle or build. Ideally every map would be balanced in a way that all types of players can flourish.

I'm cool with how it is, but it still frustrates me when it throws me into a sniper's paradise map.

I've run around with an AR on these "sniper's paradise" maps, and I do just fine. As in, I kill snipers way more often than they kill me. Believe it or not, but snipers are really gimped this time around. WaW saw most snipers getting one-hit kills (especially when using the PTRS). In MW2, snipers are lucky to get two hit kills (and it's even worse if you have a silencer on your sniper rifle, which should be a viable option), and anyone worth their salt will immediately drop or dive for cover as soon as the first bullet hits. I think I get killed least often by someone sniping.

Every map that seems skewed to snipers actually has plenty of avenues through which you can approach most positions without exposing yourself.

Edit: And if you're saying that you keep getting beaten by a sniper while you run around with an SMG, well...what did you expect?

Afghan is very World at War-style map, which was surprising. It's also crazy how sniper-centric it is. My guess is you'll see more nukes used in Afghan than anywhere else.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Dyno said:
Can any MP masters list the maps and state whether they are short, medium or long ranged maps? This would really help noobs pick their loadout. I'm only at level 10 and haven't seen enough of the maps yet to draw my own conclusions.

If anyone does this for me I'll join their friends list and watch their back when they go out to secure care packages.
Afghan: Mid
Derail: Long
Estate: Mid/Long
Favela: Short/Mid
Highrise: Mid
Invasion: Short/Mid
Karachi: Short
Quarry: Mid
Rundown: Mid/Long
Rust: Short
Scrapyard: Short
Skidrow: Mid
Terminal: Short
Underpass: Mid/Long
Wasteland: Long

I'm no master, but that's what I think so far.

How are people justifying the maps as bad? They are just saying the names that are bad without any real reason why...Kinda confusing.

Personally I like them all so far, I know there's maps I have to work on and don't play on as well as others but there's no map that's just technically a bad map (doesn't work right) they all run smooth, have well thought out line of sights with chokepoints and hold points.

Estate and Wasteland both play a lot different than the other maps but each map plays pretty different anyway.

I just don't get what people are basing their hate of the maps on?

Also I'm rocking the FAL but I was watching a stream with a dude rocking the M16 and it seemed one burst was killing the enemy, seemed really overpowered. He was wearing the first three perks that most people start out with (Stopping Power Pro, Sleight of Hand Pro and Steady Aim Pro) He wanted the enemy to know where he was so he could one shot them.

Think I am going to start a Veteren playthrough tonight......... can't decide though being I got addicted to 3rd person Team Tactical.

I swear that game type was made for everyone who doesnt finish all the guns........ I sucked with the LMG when looking down the sight........ but when I switched over to 3rd person mode it made the LMG's perfect.

jiien said:
In MW2, snipers are lucky to get two hit kills (and it's even worse if you have a silencer on your sniper rifle, which should be a viable option)
I guess I've run into some extremely talented snipers. I've seen guys (from the oft-viewed killcam) take out 3 of my teammates within 5 seconds while working the Barrett with silencer. Pop, pop, pop. Maybe they were all headshots?

RubxQub

jiien said:
I've run around with an AR on these "sniper's paradise" maps, and I do just fine. As in, I kill snipers way more often than they kill me. Believe it or not, but snipers are really gimped this time around. WaW saw most snipers getting one-hit kills (especially when using the PTRS). In MW2, snipers are lucky to get two hit kills (and it's even worse if you have a silencer on your sniper rifle, which should be a viable option), and anyone worth their salt will immediately drop or dive for cover as soon as the first bullet hits. I think I get killed least often by someone sniping.

Every map that seems skewed to snipers actually has plenty of avenues through which you can approach most positions without exposing yourself.
I know what you mean, and mentioned that I can do just as well on those maps if I get a little more creative with my approach, but some maps in general aren't balanced for all play types.

I'm adapting (made my Ninja build my permanent build), but I can see how others would be upset.

DeuceMojo said:
I guess I've run into some extremely talented snipers. I've seen guys (from the oft-viewed killcam) take out 3 of my teammates within 5 seconds while working the Barrett with silencer. Pop, pop, pop. Maybe they were all headshots?
I'm having much less luck as a sniper this time around. I put a silencer on my gun and it was basically useless, needing 3 shots for a kill. I couldn't remove it fast enough. :lol

My K/D is tanking right now but I'm having so much fun playing marathon pro, light weight, commando pro with a tactical knife/USP. Its unbelievably hilarious to rush through an entire enemy spawn shanking people left and right in a little whirlwind of knife blades.

jiien

xxjuicesxx said:
Also I'm rocking the FAL but I was watching a stream with a dude rocking the M16 and it seemed one burst was killing the enemy, seemed really overpowered. He was wearing the first three perks that most people start out with (Stopping Power Pro, Sleight of Hand Pro and Steady Aim Pro) He wanted the enemy to know where he was so he could one shot them.

I've played around with the M16, but I find that only about half the time do you actually kill someone with one three-round burst. And the other half of the time, you don't, and you die (assuming it was an encounter, and your opponent knows where you are, but this is the only scenario that really matters anyway). The M16 is a REALLY good AR, but unlike some of the other ARs, it cannot double well as an SMG (unlike the SCAR, M4, ACR, basically, all of the fully automatic ARs). Which, IMO, is its downfall.

Maybe I'm just not so great with burst weapons though : (

DeuceMojo said:

Yeah. I did something similar on Derail over the weekend. 3 people in 4 shots, none of them took a second hit, only 1 headshot.

Also, I've taken out plenty of people with a silenced .50 cal (lol) in one non-headshot. Sniping is definitely just as alive and well as it was in the WaW and MW1.

RubxQub

Nothing gets me off more than stabbing snipers in the back as they stare out their windows looking for targets.

I should camp next to one at the end of a game and keep doing dumb shit around them until it's the final kill and knife them, so the final killcam video would embarrass the shit out of them :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Amneisac said:
I don't know about that, but I can tell you that every time I kill a dog it hurts me inside. I've been killing innocent people in games for ages, but I just can't get past the widdle puppies.

Same, it bothers me a lot.

VaLiancY

If the weapons still go by the same rules they did in CoD4, the weapons don't have actual "recoil", the gun model rises to give the effect of recoil but the bullets are hitting the same target with minimal rise.

jiien

ALeperMessiah said:
Also, I've taken out plenty of people with a silenced .50 cal (lol) in one non-headshot. Sniping is definitely just as alive and well as it was in the WaW and MW1.

Really? Interesting. I was speaking from personal experience earlier (I never snipe, but my experience of other people trying to snipe me), and I rarely get one-shotted by a sniper.

Then again, I rarely ever get shot at by a sniper. Guess my impressions were wrong : (

Either way, just stop running out into the open, people! Let your buddies be the pawns, and if one dies, don't go that way xD Remember, you can almost never beat a sniper at long range (even more so if they have a thermal scope). So, don't step around a corner trying to spot them. Just go another way. There's always another way.

Edit: On second thought, are you using Stopping Power, by any chance?

VaLiancY said:
If the weapons still go by the same rules they did in CoD4, the weapons don't have actual "recoil", the gun model rises to give the effect of recoil but the bullets are hitting the same target with minimal rise.

The shots do start going up, but funny thing is that it's generally only with iron sights on gun. If you use a red dot or scope the recoil on weapons seems to completely go away.

jiien

BattleMonkey said:
The shots do start going up, but funny thing is that it's generally only with iron sights on gun. If you use a red dot or scope the recoil on weapons seems to completely go away.

Red dot and the like seem to still bounce quite a bit on SMGs. But for ARs, yeah, no recoil at all.

GeeDuhb

henhowc said:
Is there somewhere online to view stats or am I just spoiled by Halo and Bungie's great stat tracking? (First time playing COD online)

Not that I am aware of. I was really hoping they would implement it, because Treyarch did a pretty good job at doing one for W@W last year...but alas...

Ummmmm welcome to 2 years ago? :p

Did you not play CoD4? This was my most hated aspect of the entire game. The M16 was the most overpowered, overused gun in the entire game. Maybe it was just me, but when I, along with hordes of other people, were complaining about the gun early on, I could swear that they actually INCREASED the power of the fucking gun. Fucking 1 shot kills, IN THE LEG, to where people wouldn't even pull the trigger a second time, cause they are were so confident it would be a 1-hit kill...

You'd think they would have learned...NOT. Just look at the fucking Famas...it is probably as powerful, with LESS recoil, if that is even possible.

So, the other night, all the sudden I start getting owned by this guy with a gun...thought, MAN, he is really good with that M4. After a little while, I actually watched the killcam and realized there was the M16, back in full glory. The only difference...people have to wait until level 40 to get it this time around...WTF IW? It almost seems like it can fire faster this time around, if at all possible...

I guess they are just trying to cater to the Battle Riffle lovers from Halo...

Top Bottom