• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

radjago

winnarps said:
Hardest Veteran parts (IMO):

And when I say hard, I meant constant repeat deaths.

Wolverines! - When you cross one of the bridges, there's literally no cover and at least 30-40 enemies shooting in your direction. I finally just sat in the corner and waited for the armored vehicle to come up and stuck behind it for the first few seconds, and then ran into a house for cover.
The Only Easy Day...Was Yesterday (Oilrig) - When they pop smoke grenades at the top and attack you with the heat sensor weapons. I kept getting flanked because Ghost was continuously shot down/incapacitated.
The Gulag - Fighting through the shower area (the area that copies the scene from The Rock). Too many grenades and little cover from the enemies up top.
Whiskey Hotel - At the beginning, when you're told to rush up the left side, I think I died about 30 times before being able to get over to some safe cover. The enemies littered throughout the facade of the White House kept one-shotting me over and over as I ran up.
Loose Ends - The initial ambush with smoke everywhere was annoying as hell. And then when you're running from the house to get to the LZ, enemies attack you from front AND behind, along with the mortar shells going off. The trees and hay bundles offered very little cover. I have no idea how I got through this part; extreme luck.

The Favela levels didn't annoy me as much as they did for most others.
This largely matched my experience. I'd add the
last part of the airport with the swat teams
to that list.

mbmonk

HooCares said:
Stun nades make the affected player move slower, making escape tougher. If you have a mental picture of the room you're in when flashed, it's quite possible to run out/still aim and shoot your weapon blindly. Stun nades can prevent this.

Stun nades actually damage players they hit. It's slight, but sometimes it's enough to allow one less bullet to kill. This light damage is also handy as it illuminates you're "hit" icon on your crosshair, indicated you've affected someone with the grenade.

Stun nades toss animation is faster.

THANK YOU!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm at a loss as to why the PC version lacks leaderboards and any type of advanced stat tracking. I can't even see my accuracy :-/

Arucardo

PC version crashes every time I try to find a game now :( , well played IW or whoever is responsible. I hope they fix it any minute now.

winnarps said:

Wolverines! - When you cross one of the bridges, there's literally no cover and at least 30-40 enemies shooting in your direction. I finally just sat in the corner and waited for the armored vehicle to come up and stuck behind it for the first few seconds, and then ran into a house for cover.
The Only Easy Day...Was Yesterday (Oilrig) - When they pop smoke grenades at the top and attack you with the heat sensor weapons. I kept getting flanked because Ghost was continuously shot down/incapacitated.
The Gulag - Fighting through the shower area (the area that copies the scene from The Rock). Too many grenades and little cover from the enemies up top.
Whiskey Hotel - At the beginning, when you're told to rush up the left side, I think I died about 30 times before being able to get over to some safe cover. The enemies littered throughout the facade of the White House kept one-shotting me over and over as I ran up.
Loose Ends - The initial ambush with smoke everywhere was annoying as hell. And then when you're running from the house to get to the LZ, enemies attack you from front AND behind, along with the mortar shells going off. The trees and hay bundles offered very little cover. I have no idea how I got through this part; extreme luck.

I agree with all this.

HooCares said:
Stun nades make the affected player move slower, making escape tougher. If you have a mental picture of the room you're in when flashed, it's quite possible to run out/still aim and shoot your weapon blindly. Stun nades can prevent this.

Stun nades actually damage players they hit. It's slight, but sometimes it's enough to allow one less bullet to kill. This light damage is also handy as it illuminates you're "hit" icon on your crosshair, indicated you've affected someone with the grenade.

Stun nades toss animation is faster.
you should always use the stunade flash sux

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Fuck I switched over to single player and I noticed that the 5.1 sound isn't working for me. Tested another game, works fine. Jesus.

Jayge

hypostatic said:
Please elaborate. I don't have enough opportunities to shoot people through things.
You have to create the opportunities. When you're walking down a hallway with cover strewn throughout it and an enemy appears, target him, crouch behind something, and shoot through it. Feel like camping somewhere? Find a thin piece of wall between windows or something and position yourself to shoot through that when you see someone through the window. Walking around outside in an urban environment? Stay close to cars and shoot through them. Any penetration kill counts- fences, boxes, incredibly tiny slivers of wood between doorways, metal poles, etc. Once you pay attention to the stuff you can use it gets much easier.

Arucardo said:
PC version crashes every time I try to find a game now :( , well played IW or whoever is responsible. I hope they fix it any minute now.
Steam forums are lighting up right now. :lol

God I love those people.. Oh well, I bet Valve is on it as we speak.

Edit: Oh lol, IW Forums just went to hell:

"mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections"

Jayge said:
You have to create the opportunities. When you're walking down a hallway with cover strewn throughout it and an enemy appears, target him, crouch behind something, and shoot through it. Feel like camping somewhere? Find a thin piece of wall between windows or something and position yourself to shoot through that when you see someone through the window. Walking around outside in an urban environment? Stay close to cars and shoot through them. Any penetration kill counts- fences, boxes, incredibly tiny slivers of wood between doorways, metal poles, etc. Once you pay attention to the stuff you can use it gets much easier.
I may try this. I've had FMJ equipped for a good dozen games of TDM and so far only have 18 of the required kills.

To be honest, FMJ seems to make little difference.

Weenerz

Banned
MP5K
Bling Pro (Silencer, holograph)
Cold-Blooded
Ninja Pro

I love being stealthy. Earlier I was following a guy around for a few seconds while he was taking his time planting a sentry gun. 1 slice later, it was down and so was he. Love how I am invisible to everything :lol

Just sucks I need 30 more killsteak destruction for my cold-blooded pro

.nimrod

the M93 Raffica is so awesome, basically a pocket M16 :D
you can draw it pretty quick, walk at normal speed while aiming down the sight and take out snipers across the map with a single burst :lol

i'm lovin' it.

Jhoan

winnarps said:

I beat the game twice in Normal and Veteran over the weekend and I agree with that list except
I found No Russian to be extremely frustrating and the Favela levels because of blind pot shots. Loose Ends was extremely annoying, especially that last part. Thank God for the generous amount of checkpoints that you get because otherwise that level was hell. The Gulag mission I found wasn't as frustrating especially since I used the Riot Shield for the majority of the stage and let the NPC's do the work. The ending screams obvious sequel on the way. I was pretty shocked that Captain Price was alive and now its only Soap, Nikolai and him versus the world.
I've played tons of MP over the weekend. Its crazy addictive, I've been playing mostly Team Deathmatch and Merc. Deathmatch and Sabotage. It was funny how I died so much in Sabotage that people were called me out and said that I suck. I'm still looking for someone to play Spec Ops with so add me and don't be afraid to send me a message. I'm currently level 20, guns are the M16 and the Thumper, unlimited sprinting, steady shot and and stronger bullet damage. I've gotten better in the Deathmatch type games.

Chrange

Banned
winnarps said:

Wolverines! - When you cross one of the bridges, there's literally no cover and at least 30-40 enemies shooting in your direction. I finally just sat in the corner and waited for the armored vehicle to come up and stuck behind it for the first few seconds, and then ran into a house for cover. ** You're supposed to use it for cover. Stop running ahead :p **
The Only Easy Day...Was Yesterday (Oilrig) - When they pop smoke grenades at the top and attack you with the heat sensor weapons. I kept getting flanked because Ghost was continuously shot down/incapacitated. ** I didn't have trouble with this one, but I'm not sure why. I had a thermal weapon, went right at the top of the stairs and gunned down the guys off the roof first - then took the guys in that section and finally went around the corner. Without a way to get behind me (and with those guys off the roof) it was no problem **
The Gulag - Fighting through the shower area (the area that copies the scene from The Rock). Too many grenades and little cover from the enemies up top. ** The only part of this I didn't like was the guys with the Riot Shields. They were too aggressive for how hard they are to take down in an enclosed area like that, with overwatch preventing movement in one direction. I didn't bother killing the guys up top on the left, I just gunned down those on the right side and hugged the left wall. **
Whiskey Hotel - At the beginning, when you're told to rush up the left side, I think I died about 30 times before being able to get over to some safe cover. The enemies littered throughout the facade of the White House kept one-shotting me over and over as I ran up. ** Shoot the search lights out... Flash the house as you get close **
Loose Ends - The initial ambush with smoke everywhere was annoying as hell. And then when you're running from the house to get to the LZ, enemies attack you from front AND behind, along with the mortar shells going off. The trees and hay bundles offered very little cover. I have no idea how I got through this part; extreme luck. ** Hang left as you head from the house. It keeps you away from most of the enemies. There are only three or four that come up from the front on that side, so you can chop them down easily enough. **

I added my *answers* for some of those levels in the spoilers.

I had more trouble with Favela on my first run as Hardened than I did on my second at Veteran. Getting used to checking roofs and windows was difficult after the last couple CoD games.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Kibbles said:
Fuck this game for disabling party chat. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Who's brilliant idea was it?

Perhaps one of the worst things in multiplayer. I can understand certain modes like S&D, where death should allow you not to communicate to your teammates. There's NO reason why HQ and Domination have to be PChat only.

I can see how IW wants us to communicate with other player for team situations. But that's a little difficult why a 12 year old is talking about how many bitches he's fucked and how huge his dick is. Nice concept at first, but they completely forgot the level of social intelligence from people/walking flesh piles on Xbox live.

Jayge

To be honest, non-partychat makes me feel like I'm playing Xbox Live again. Unlike most of you, I find a lot of the shit-talking and crap that goes on in these rooms hilarious. The occasional singing squeaker dampens it somewhat, but it's still fun. And when you happen to come against another group like yours and you're just sitting there like "we could talk shit... but all of us are kinda better than that" and you just have a random conversation about burgers, it's great. Pchat killed a lot of that in almost every game on the service now. I've missed it.

Kibbles said:
Fuck this game for disabling party chat. Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it. Who's brilliant idea was it?
I know man life so tough now. If i were you I would move to Cuba, just to spite them for doing this terrible horible thing to you that can't just be overlooked.

jergrah

mbmonk said:
As for the guy who wants to get up to speed you could read this excellent article:
http://levelingdown.com/2009/11/13/a-newbie-guide-for-modern-warfare-2-multiplayer/

That article helped me a ton.

Also I just played Team DM mostly and became the shadow of the better players in the server. Followed them everywhere. I learned some nice spots on the map to get kills from.

Thanks man - much appreciated. And love the icon, been a die-hard 'Fins fan since I started watching football with my Dad in '82.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
everybody praising IW as the best studio out there and they turn out to be a bunch of amateurs.

Like they didn't have time to anticipate these kind of problems for the most anticipated release of the year (small detail, right?).

Well silly IW, thats what you get without DS. Some shit fails NO ONE PLAYS.

PatzCU

Domino Theory said:
Ah, thanks. I play with two friends, one of which always manages to call an AC130 and the other who always manages to call in a Chopper Gunner. Think I'm gonna tell them to rock the Danger Close perk. :p

Anyone use this combo yet?

Vector or P90 or MP5 w/Silencer
Marathon Pro
Lightweight Pro
Commando Pro

Could be quite the deadly combo.

Is Commando>Scramble for this setup?

Also, how far exactly does commando extend your melee range? I'm hesitant to use it because I feel like I'll still want to be right next to the person when I try to knife them.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Weenerz said:
MP5K
Bling Pro (Silencer, holograph)
Cold-Blooded
Ninja Pro

I love being stealthy. Earlier I was following a guy around for a few seconds while he was taking his time planting a sentry gun. 1 slice later, it was down and so was he. Love how I am invisible to everything :lol

Just sucks I need 30 more killsteak destruction for my cold-blooded pro
I tried that...but damn I kept on getting noticed, whenever I would try to circle around the other team, someone always saw me visually :( ...Was using SCAR, and the heart monitor with silencer. Did I little better once I removed the monitor but I guess im gonna retry again since maybe I was just having bad luck.

PatzCU said:
Is Commando>Scramble for this setup?

Also, how far exactly does commando extend your melee range? I'm hesitant to use it because I feel like I'll still want to be right next to the person when I try to knife them.
sounds like the other guy is trying to be a scout where you want to be the spy so I would go with scramble if i where you.

The Stealth Fox said:
I wish you could run and gun in this game like you could in COD4.
Are you saying in COD4 you can sprint and shoot at the same time? Or was that a perk?

What are some of the overpowered perks from COD4 that aren't in this game?

The Stealth Fox

The Lamonster said:
Are you saying in COD4 you can sprint and shoot at the same time? Or was that a perk?

What are some of the overpowered perks from COD4 that aren't in this game?
There are barely any choke points in the map, and it's a lot of open field combat, so i can't run around with an SMG + stopping power and steady aim and just mow down people like I could in Bloc on COD4.

Snowden

Banned
spyshagg said:
everybody praising IW as the best studio out there and they turn out to be a bunch of amateurs.

Like they didn't have time to anticipate these kind of problems for the most anticipated release of the year (small detail, right?).

Well silly IW, thats what you get without DS. Some shit fails NO ONE PLAYS.
You're a fucking mistake, man.

Kibbles said:

Exactly. I'm sick of hearing idiots/10 year olds scream and yell. I can understand them taking it away for objective games, but for Team Deatmatch? Really?

I'm forced to do what I do on PSN, just mute everyone else in the game except the people I want to party with. It gives the illusion that you're in a party at least.

Party chat exists for a reason Infinity Ward!

KGKK

Banned
I did the commando, marathon, lightweight combo last night in free-for-all. Got first place:D :lol

Can't wait to unlock cold-blooded and ninja perks, I have my silencer and heartbeat ready on my scar.

Scrambler seems useless to me, I generally use it to my advantage when someone else is using it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, the mute voice feature is really well done in this game though...just press select, highlight name, and they're muted. Super quick and easy.

Ten-Song

Dabanton said:
Nothing makes me laugh harder than sticking guys running around protected by riot shields with sextex. :lol

I know. Most people I see freak the fuck out when they see a riot shield and try to just get around them in any way they can. I just toss semtex and laugh.

chubigans said:
Man, the mute voice feature is really well done in this game though...just press select, highlight name, and they're muted. Super quick and easy.

Exactly. Highlight a person press A. It isn't hard. If you're try to talk to a person in party chat playing another game, then your attention is elsewhere and you're probably the asshat going 1-16 on my team.

winnarps said:

I agree with all of those, but this one I figured out why I was getting owned so much on that initial run to the left. There are 1 or two snipers at the very very top of the building, so before you begin your run, take em out. It makes that run SO much easier.

Why am I at work when I could be playing some Domination?

And BTW - I don't think I fully appreciated the wonder that is this game til I got to spend some quality time with Spec Ops. Co-op sniping. Mini-Horde levels, providing close air support, the works. Amazing stuff. Here's hoping IW sees the opportunity in Spec Ops DLC and doesn't limit themselves to the same silly but profitable route of multiplayer map packs.

In a perfect world, Spec Ops levels would be paid DLC and map packs would be free. Everybody wins.

to fight the no party chat feature i just mute everyone in the game but my friends im playing with. that way the people i muted can't hear me talking only to friends, and i can't hear them telling me to fuck myself.

Myself. Yeah said:
In a perfect world, Spec Ops levels would be paid DLC and map packs would be free. Everybody wins.

More pragmatically, IW could release map packs that can be used not only for the standard multiplayer modes, but *also* Spec Ops via modes like Elimination or other objectives. Its the Gears of War 2 model, and I'm pretty sure it worked out for Epic.

Top Bottom