• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

NeoUltima

I get angry sometimes playing this...I shoot people a lot...seems like they only get 1 shot off and I die. Killcam comes up...Shows me not even shooting at all and them unloading into me.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but regarding the ending:

How was Soap able to crawl on his stomach toward the pistol when there was a knife sticking out of his chest? :lol

teekun

Papercuts said:
How do they get such massive plotholes in such a flimsily told story? That's the general rule of thumb--the less you say, the less a chance of a contradiction, but IW sure proved that wrong. :lol

I think the problem here is that MW2 says a lot, but it's all bullet points with no fleshing out any of the concepts.

Oh man, that tac knife build is so dirty. Theres times where I can run straight at people and strafe a little, and going so quick they cant react and I knife them with a 20 foot gap between us at the start. Or burning through their spawn slashign left and right, racking up 5 kills then pred missiling 2 , call a harrier, knife another, call an AC130, nuke em from orbit for 30-45 seconds, then immediately go back to knifing because you know where they all are....my god, when this build works, it WORKS. Admittedly, it can go pretty bad if they figure out your schtick and start camping the corners with piles of claymores around them (had 4 guys hole up in highrise with claymores on the door. I tossed a stun grenade in, got them all with it, the claymores fucked up and I sprinted in and cut down two before the blindfire from the other two mowed me down), but generally speaking it does wonders.

Unfortunately, all my friends saw my ridiculous scores and decided to join in on the fun, so now there was 4 of us doing it. The strategy doesnt work nearly as well when the enemy doesnt have people shooting at them to take their minds off me. We still had a few really good runs though, like our wasteland run mentioned above, and we still tended to win 80% of the games.

In conclusion, melee build is stupidly awesome. My leveling slowed to a crawl because I stopped working on guns for the entire afternoon and just knifed people for 4 hours straight.

Sandman42

Thanks to whoever it was that recommend the m203/thumper + danger close/scavenger setup earlier in the thread. That shit is dominant. :lol

Nelo Ice said:
interesting now im gonna level up marathon and lightweight :lol

Make sure you level up a pistol too(I recommend USP or M9 since they can get a silencer. Makes killing people much easier). The tactical knife attachment makes your melee attack go off much quicker which helps when you only have a few seconds to get the kill before you get gunned down.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So uh, wow, took the game online for the first time ever. As a background, I've completed CoD2 and MW2 on Veteran, and got to the last few stages in CoD3 and MW. Never played multiplayer before in CoD, only Halo.

I can conclusively say that completing the game on Veteran will help 0% in multiplayer. The game is crazy fast paced and the bullets kill instantly. I got ranked against Level 35 players mainly, myself being L1. In my first 5 games I went from 1/5 KD ratio to between 1/2 and 2/3 ratio.

I take it that the game requires quite a bit of practice - memorizing maps, learning the flow of multiplayer and all that.

One thing I wonder - do people use auto-aim in MP? Discovering auto-aim in MW2 Veteran was a revelation for me, but the mechanic seems way too slow for MP.

Chittagong said:
I take it that the game requires quite a bit of practice - memorizing maps, learning the flow of multiplayer and all that.

That and unlocking stuff. The 35 lvls already have a ton of neat stuff unlocked so that helps them even more.

dustin

Neo Member
Papercuts said:
Haha, yeah. The basis for the plot is formed on one giant plothole, basically.

It's actually pretty fucking retarded:

Considering that russians and americans are very similar in looks, no one could really identify the guy you were playing as as an american unless through some form of ID...which he obviously would not have on him when he was with the russian terrorists. The other way is for america to confess that it was their guy, which would also be retarded. So basically, either the US is completely fucking retarded and left the guy's ID on him, or the US is completely fucking retarded and they confessed. Logically, they'd just chalk him up to being some random guy, because they don't ID people in russia like they do here. It's like...wtf? This was the big controversial scene that does set up for the war, but it sets it up in a way that makes no sense.

Of course you get the twists later on(Shepherd), and they don't really touch on Makarov much at that point. You never get a motivation for why they're doing this, or again how the fuck they made Shepherd into that high of a rank if he wasn't really loyal.

How do they get such massive plotholes in such a flimsily told story? That's the general rule of thumb--the less you say, the less a chance of a contradiction, but IW sure proved that wrong. :lol

someone needs to make a spoof where the russian cops are checking the dead americans body and they find an illinois drivers license or something

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Kibbles said:
Exactly. I didn't understand it from the moment that footage leaked.

I'm shocked at what a mess the entire campaign is, really. The story is horrible and doesn't make sense. Then game play... oh boy. I don't know why these guys don't know how to make a single player campaign anymore. It's the same old MW1 bullshit: hey, let's throw 15,000 guys at the player and call it a day! The mission where you're going through Brazil for the first or second time (I forget... where you have to chase after the dude) is just amazingly awful. Really. It's just nonsensical. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how anyone could find it fun.

The multiplayer is near perfection tho. Maps are incredible.

NeoUltima said:
I get angry sometimes playing this...I shoot people a lot...seems like they only get 1 shot off and I die. Killcam comes up...Shows me not even shooting at all and them unloading into me.
Thats what lag is...

kuYuri

I totally love that there's a "queue" for air support. Now you don't have to worry about mashing the right d-pad or whatever to race someone else to the air support.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Pyke Presco said:
Make sure you level up a pistol too(I recommend USP or M9 since they can get a silencer. Makes killing people much easier). The tactical knife attachment makes your melee attack go off much quicker which helps when you only have a few seconds to get the kill before you get gunned down.

yeah im leveling up the usp too well at least when i have time to sneak up behind ppl and switch to the usp to kill em :lol

Saiyu

NeoUltima said:

So not fun seeing the yellow bar and everyone on the other team is full green/3 bar. Hopefully upgrading my internet next week will help.

Pyke Presco said:
Oh man, that tac knife build is so dirty....

I have to try this :D

pringles said:
Melee is really overpowered.. insta-kill should only be from behind.
Hope they patch that.

If I go through all the work of getting up to melee range when you have an assault rifle/SMG/LMG/sniper/claymore traps, I bloody well deserve that kill, thank you very much. If you can 1 shot me with a sniper rifle from 300 feet away, or with a FAMAS burst at 75 feet, my knife at 1 foot should get the edge. Just sayin'.

Eric WK said:
Nerf everything.

Why didnt I think of that?! Of course, if everything took twice as many shots/melees to kill, things would be so much more fun because we would live longer!

Nope, thank god they got rid of juggernaut. That perk basically was a nerf to every weapon in the game, and good riddance. Made stopping power virtually essential, now we get to fool around with all the other cool perks instead. Painkiller I can accept because the poor bastard is already getting murdered over and over, at least he can maybe get one kill this time around.(And yes, I know you were being facetious. Humour me)

Eric WK

pringles said:
Hope they patch that.

Yeah, I would totally expect them to patch something that was present (and perfectly fine) throughout Call of Duty 4's lifespan and continues to be perfectly fine in Modern Warfare 2.

Pyke Presco said:
If I go through all the work of getting up to melee range when you have an assault rifle/SMG/LMG/sniper/claymore traps, I bloody well deserve that kill, thank you very much. If you can 1 shot me with a sniper rifle from 300 feet away, or with a FAMAS burst at 75 feet, my knife at 1 foot should get the edge. Just sayin'.

Nerf everything.

Saiyu

pringles said:
Hope they patch that.

Only thing I don't like about the melee is the invulnerability people can get when they lunge in, but that is more an issue with the connection rather than the melee mechanics.

FUCKING FMJ CHALLENGES. Whoever came up with this shit should be publicly ridiculed. It should either be 40 kills with penetration or like 15 goddamn kills with FMJ pene. I'm sick of having to use this shit. People must think I'm insane when they see killcams where I position myself behind a wall before finishing them.

Nelo Ice said:
omg rush down class is so insanely fun especially with a p90 and silencer :D :lol

Hell yeah it is!!! Just wait until you're confident enough/know the maps well enough to play without firing a single shot all round. It makes you feel like such a badass.

(although I do still use throwing knives for a little bit of range. I'm terrible with them though)

bdouble

Son of Godzilla said:
FUCKING FMJ CHALLENGES. Whoever came up with this shit should be publicly ridiculed. It should either be 40 kills with penetration or like 15 goddamn kills with FMJ pene. I'm sick of having to use this shit. People must think I'm insane when they see killcams where I position myself behind a wall before finishing them.
yeah taking forever on the M4.

cresto

dagZ said:
cs_747.jpg

terminal is ridiculously close to cs_747 in counter-strike. pretty cool.
haha when i first played this map i totally thought about that!

Son of Godzilla said:
No way, ACOG sniper is actually halfway decent. With pro slight of hand and you can get the drop on pretty much anyone.

Agreed, an acog on a barrett or wa2000 is awesome. You put it with stopping power, scavenger(with claymores...yep, I'm a dirty bastard like that) and some green perk (I like ninja to avoid heartbeats, since I dont need steady aim/iron lungs for an acog) and it wrecks shit. 1 shot kills at anything close to medium range, sometimes even at long.

And seriously (this is a dick move, so I apologize in advance) set up a claymore at a doorway so they cant react to it when they come through. Then loot their corpse and put another one right there. You can totally control an entrance to your "snipe position" (ie. camping spot) and the fact that different guys will try to use that entrance (and the fact that people dont communicate things like "that jerk keeps putting claymores in that door, toss a stun grenade through first to disable them) means you'll keep fooling them and rack up the kills.

An example position in the map above, put a claymore right at the entrance to the plane from the bottom elbow. Put another one at the back of the plane covering the ladder, and then chill with a sniper in either the nose or the side windows by the slide. You can control middle hallway, the top of the building, the gift shop, the tarmac, and the lower gardens, while your claymores cover your back. If you hear them click but not go off(b/c of scrambler pro), or not kill anyone, switch to your pistol and take cover behind the seats (if you're at side windows) or turn around(if you're at the nose) and gun them down. Then loot their corpse and replace the claymore they refused to step on, the inconsiderate jerks.

mbmonk

jergrah said:
And love the icon, been a die-hard 'Fins fan since I started watching football with my Dad in '82.

That is roughly the time I became a phins fan too :). The Marino days.. that seems like it was far to long ago. But hey we are finally turning it around. :lol

So I started using stun nades after the help.. I like them better than flash now :). Thanks again.

RSTEIN said:
I'm shocked at what a mess the entire campaign is, really. The story is horrible and doesn't make sense. Then game play... oh boy. I don't know why these guys don't know how to make a single player campaign anymore. It's the same old MW1 bullshit: hey, let's throw 15,000 guys at the player and call it a day! The mission where you're going through Brazil for the first or second time (I forget... where you have to chase after the dude) is just amazingly awful. Really. It's just nonsensical. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how anyone could find it fun.

The multiplayer is near perfection tho. Maps are incredible.
Just hope they watch WW2 in HD, not freaking Hollywood movies for inspiration for their next game.

Griffith

Banned
Infinity Ward needs to add a local search option, or I can't see myself playing much longer. It's damn near unplayable at times.

Darklord

Banned
I rented this game today to play through the single player(I'd have bought it for PC but...yeah). Anyway, the SP is pretty...shit. It's just a mish mash of "ZOMFG WTF" missions or at least they try and make it like that. It reminds me of 24 how it started off realistically then started getting more and more crazy. By season 6 it was nukes going off, Bauer vs Bauer and all this crazy crap. This has gone down that same path where rather than making a gripping story its just "How can we beat that nuke scene in MW1? OH LETS SHOOTS UP AN AIRPORT LOL"

What's going to be in MW3? World War 3?

And I have to say no offense to Americans but fucking hell this game is overly patriotic it seems. Especially some of those quotes when you die. It's like the game was made by a bunch of Marines.

Overall it just doesn't have that same fun feel to it. Everything's overly hectic and just too over the top.

Lionheart1827 said:
Wow I just tried that knife class and I just went 38-6 on Afghan. :lol

They had NO idea what was coming.

YES! YES! Spread the word! Let GAF bring the knives of pain down upon their heads one game at a time! Abuse that shit for everything it's worth!

But no, seriously. It's ridiculously fun to just play with knives only. The fact that it can work (and sometimes spectacularly!) is just icing on the cake. Everybody should definitely try this build once they are familiar with the maps/know where the enemies tend to be and how best to stay out of their direct line of sight. The ability to dart in, shank one and then book it around a building or through a doorway or over the wall into the treeline just makes you feel like such a badass.

CloudV

Started on the MP last night and am having a blast. Was a bit rusty since I've not played any FPS's since KZ2, but caught up to speed fairly fast.

Only gripe I have is the matchmaking just doesn't work or must not be there.
I was level 4 in a game where there was no one under the level of 32, with a majority being in the 40s, and a couple of 50s. I don't mind so much about KDR as I'm having fun with TDM and Domination, but I just would like to play with some people around the same level as I've only played a few of these maps a few times and haven't gotten used to it.

Love the throwing knife too by the way, there is just this huge satisfaction of chucking it, and dropping someone. The way the point stuff booms onto the screen helps too. It's like boom, knife kill, boom, head shot, boom payback, boom buzzkill, followed by the da da daah of the level up that is just so awesome.

Anyways, I'm a PS3 Jgaffer so if anyones up to play or do specops on JST (usually 10PM~12PM) just send me an invite: CloudV

Kibbles

What the fucking hell am I supposed to do here? I'm stuck on
the last part of the mission where you are running down to the extraction point from Makarov's safehouse. I'm playing on Veteran and my checkpoint I keep getting shot up and I die. I've been trying to get around for at least 15 min now. This is fucking pissing me off.

[edit] I somehow made it by staying back for a bit after killing some guys and running on the right side. Just barely made it.

Pyke Presco said:
YES! YES! Spread the word! Let GAF bring the knives of pain down upon their heads one game at a time! Abuse that shit for everything it's worth!

But no, seriously. It's ridiculously fun to just play with knives only. The fact that it can work (and sometimes spectacularly!) is just icing on the cake. Everybody should definitely try this build once they are familiar with the maps/know where the enemies tend to be and how best to stay out of their direct line of sight. The ability to dart in, shank one and then book it around a building or through a doorway or over the wall into the treeline just makes you feel like such a badass.

Seriously there were times where I managed to get behind a group of 3 and just slaughter them. It was almost as though they were running away from me trying to outrun me. It was ridiculous. I was telling my buds "1st knife kill, 2nd, 3rd.....4th....FIFTH!! PREDATOR" and it just kept on going and they're laughing their asses off. The little message queue is filling up with Lionheart1827 (knife) XXXXXX constantly. :lol

Lionheart1827 said:
Seriously there were times where I managed to get behind a group of 3 and just slaughter them. It was almost as though they were running away from me trying to outrun me. It was ridiculous. I was telling my buds "1st knife kill, 2nd, 3rd.....4th....FIFTH!! PREDATOR" and it just kept on going and they're laughing their asses off. The little message queue is filling up with Lionheart1827 (knife) XXXXXX constantly. :lol

Yep, that sounds about analogous to my experience. They dont even pay attention to you since you're not shooting, they instead focus on where the gunshots from the rest of your team are coming from. And if you can hit that first 5 kills (or at least for me, I use [5:pred]/[7:harrier]/[11:ac130]) then you can just steam roll one streak into the next into the next into 18 kills with one good run. Get one or two of those per game and even if you die 6 times before getting a kill, you still come out ridiculously far ahead of the game.

The other streak set I use is [3:UAV]/[4:Counter-UAV]/[5:predator]. This one is much more achievable than the other, sicne the UAV feeds you the position and the soon followed counter wrecks any chance they have of using their UAVs to keep tabs on you. I tend to get more knife kills but less overall kills with this build, but sticking people with your blade is infinitely more satisfying than watching the harrier do its thing or using the AC130 from a mile up. It's just more visceral.

And yeah, nothing beats getting a triple or quad knife kill and seeing the bottom of the screen with your name over and over. The internet rage in the postgame lobby is fun too.

DarkJC

DevelopmentArrested said:
The matchmaking in this game is fucking terrible compared to CoD4.
BACK OUT EVERYONE BACK OUT

Yeah I hope this is top on their priority to be fixed. Takes me ages to find a game that isn't complete shit sometimes.

bigswords

Sandman42 said:
Thanks to whoever it was that recommend the m203/thumper + danger close/scavenger setup earlier in the thread. That shit is dominant. :lol

How much damage more does danger close do with nade launchers + explosives? Does it increase the radius of these types of weapons as well?

Kibbles

DevelopmentArrested said:
The matchmaking in this game is fucking terrible compared to CoD4.
BACK OUT EVERYONE BACK OUT
It was basically the same in CoD4. People want to back out more though because there are less maps that are actually good. =\

Top Bottom