• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

who thought it would be a good idea to splatter your screen with blood all the time? This is almost as bad as the PD slap effect.

Fuck IW so many things wrong with single player.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Exactly. Highlight a person press A. It isn't hard. If you're try to talk to a person in party chat playing another game, then your attention is elsewhere and you're probably the asshat going 1-16 on my team.
While it may be easy, it's annoying. Especially when people can come and go as they please.

I played a match on Karaki earlier in which the opposing team was able to set up turrets on some of the rooftops...

...I don't think I need to say anything more than that. Needless to say, it wasn't fun.

Erebus

Today it was the first time ever I played online multiplayer since I got MW2. The game is fun, I dig all the new levels, perks and killstreak additions. Matchmaking was uber fast for me and lag was generally non-existent.

I got one question for the Special Ops though. Do I have to invite a friend in order to play the two-player coop mode? Isn't there some sort of matchmaking?

DarkUSS said:
I got one question for the Special Ops though. Do I have to invite a friend in order to play the two-player coop mode? Isn't there some sort of matchmaking?

No spec ops matchmaking, no. Don't know if its invite only (I'm assuming it is), or if a friend can just jump into a Spec Ops lobby.

Jayge said:
To be honest, non-partychat makes me feel like I'm playing Xbox Live again. Unlike most of you, I find a lot of the shit-talking and crap that goes on in these rooms hilarious. The occasional singing squeaker dampens it somewhat, but it's still fun. And when you happen to come against another group like yours and you're just sitting there like "we could talk shit... but all of us are kinda better than that" and you just have a random conversation about burgers, it's great. Pchat killed a lot of that in almost every game on the service now. I've missed it.

Yes!

Honestly, what's the problem with ridiculous trash talking? Are you less intelligent having heard it or something? It's hilarious how aggressive people get. Every now and then someone will have a really good burn, too.

As for music-blaring punks and 12-year-old screamers, I only encounter them in like 1 out of 25 games and give them a quick mute.

DarkJC

Dax01 said:
While it may be easy, it's annoying. Especially when people can come and go as they please.

I played a match on Karaki earlier in which the opposing team was able to set up turrets on some of the rooftops...

...I don't think I need to say anything more than that. Needless to say, it wasn't fun.

Have a stealth class ready and switch when stuff like that happens.

Ever since I downloaded 1.04 patch I can no longer join friends invites :lol . I don't see how they keep messing this up. I am sure by Wednesday there will be a 1.05 patch PS3.

Just had some mental matchs where we all went riot shields :lol stupidly funny having almost arena still punching matchs with people, I think my bro managed a 12 kill streak using it and knifes :lol way to much fun.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
DevelopmentArrested said:
theres 5 million people playing the game. you think itll only be you that doesn't buy them?

It depends how it is handled. Before I got the map packs for COD4 I never got booted out of a lobby. When I did get them, they showed up all the time and it ended up being well worth the money.

World at War kicked you out of the lobby and brought up the Xbox Live market window to buy the map pack you were missing. If this is done again it could annoy a lot of people. Different developers of course but it could be a blanket policy at this point to nag people at every turn about maps they do not own.

However, that was still far better than being locked out of entire playlists from Halo 3 because you didn't want a particular map pack. I stopped playing that shit as soon as Avalanche stopped showing up in playlists after they got rid of "DLC Objective" some time last year.

No_Style

Dabanton said:
Nothing makes me laugh harder than sticking guys running around protected by riot shields with sextex. :lol

Sexy explosions? :lol

There's no way Activision/IW will be releasing map packs for free. Not after W@W's numbers. We can only dream... Thankfully they've included 16 in the game already.

The only grand omission (feature wise) from MW2 is the lack of saved replays and online stat page. Even W@W had online stats pages.

Just had another good moment, this time on Quarry. I was shooting it out against this sniper fella, and before he killed me, I managed to light one fuel tank behind him on fire (there were several, at least five of theme). He doesn't realize it, so he stays in the same spot. I spawn, and a mere few seconds later I here something explode and the little damage indicator thing appear over my cross hairs. Almost immediately after that I hear another fuel tank go off, and I see a "+100" appear on my screen. Nice.

Mooreberg said:
It depends how it is handled. Before I got the map packs for COD4 I never got booted out of a lobby. When I did get them, they showed up all the time and it ended up being well worth the money.

World at War kicked you out of the lobby and brought up the Xbox Live market window to buy the map pack you were missing. If this is done again it could annoy a lot of people. Different developers of course but it could be a blanket policy at this point to nag people at every turn about maps they do not own.

However, that was still far better than being locked out of entire playlists from Halo 3 because you didn't want a particular map pack. I stopped playing that shit as soon as Avalanche stopped showing up in playlists after they got rid of "DLC Objective" some time last year.

Yeah, IW did it right. Treyarch and Bungie did it wrong.

Nelo Ice

Banned
is live down or something?
my game froze up after a match ended and when i reset my 360 i didnt connect to live even though my router and modem are working normally

bdouble

Holy shit. So today just decided to play some f4a (wasn't a big fan in Cod4) Load out as follows

Vector (with sight) and .44 Magnum
Scavenger
Lightweight
Commando
Throwing knife and stun

Basically a tazmanian devil running through the level throwing knives and slashing everywhere. Took a bit to get the throwing down but damn is it satisfying. Raced through the F4A challenges easily racking up the 20 or so top 3 finishes with a bunch of wins. My emblem is now Ninja haha.

I feel like in this game Stopping Power isn't "required" like in 4. I never played softcore mode because I felt like everyone was a bullet sponge. Now though you definitely die and kill much faster. but at the same time I don't feel like SP is used by everyone. Maybe because the other perks now in the teir are useful as well though.

dagZ

cs_747.jpg

terminal is ridiculously close to cs_747 in counter-strike. pretty cool.

Just put the ACOG on the SCAR to get the next unlock. Holy crap - that gun kicks like a mofo. ACOG and thermal are useless on that sucker.

Oh well. Just unlocked the FAL. Me like! It reminds me of my favorite weapon in W@W; the Gewehr. I feel gimped without my heartbeat sensor and sight though...but that'll come soon enough.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
bdouble said:
Holy shit. So today just decided to play some f4a (wasn't a big fan in Cod4) Load out as follows

Vector (with sight) and .44 Magnum
Scavenger
Lightweight
Commando
Throwing knife and stun

Basically a tazmanian devil running through the level throwing knives and slashing everywhere. Took a bit to get the throwing down but damn is it satisfying. Raced through the F4A challenges easily racking up the 20 or so top 3 finishes with a bunch of wins. My emblem is now Ninja haha.

I feel like in this game Stopping Power isn't "required" like in 4. I never played softcore mode because I felt like everyone was a bullet sponge. Now though you definitely die and kill much faster. but at the same time I don't feel like SP is used by everyone. Maybe because the other perks now in the teir are useful as well though.
Add Marathon and you have my favorite class.. " the runner "

DoomGyver

I don't think I'm going to prestige this time either. I prestiged once in MW1 and it really wasn't worth it.

You get 5 custom slots + titles + emblems + and all of the killstreaks unlocked.

And it doesn't help that I don't get my m21 until level 56. Meh.

Also I noticed that about a year into MW1 if a team was up against a bunch of gold crosses that there would be a large number of quiters. lol

KGKK

Banned
I put CoDMW2's launch success on the Eminem/Dre. Till I Collapse playing the launch trailer/commercials is so awesome:D Got everyone up in every shit to buy this game!

dustin

Neo Member
something i just noticed, probably another one of the massive yet funny plot holes in the game

so makarov is an internationally know terrorist right? in one of the loading screens we see his face on newspapers and magazines and what not, right? so the security cameras in the airport no doubt caught some pretty clear shots of his face, right? can you see where i'm going with this one? IF IT WAS AN AMERICAN LED ATTACK WHAT THE FUCK IS MAKAROV DOING THERE?

divisionbyzorro said:
Just put the ACOG on the SCAR to get the next unlock. Holy crap - that gun kicks like a mofo. ACOG and thermal are useless on that sucker.

I'm pretty upset with how the ACOG is in this game. I used it heavily with the M4 in COD4 but in MW2 I feel the only upgrade is the cross hairs with the dot in the center, besides that it's worse IMO. I preferred looking through the scope, having the scope the way it is now makes it a bit harder to keep track of your opponents if they're side stepping. Plus as you said, it somehow makes shooting from further away even harder. What's the point of the ACOG if if actually increases the difficulty of long range shooting?

Basically I really missed the old ACOG. Besides getting rid of the arrow for the cross hairs/dot, I with they would have left the ACOG alone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dustin said:
something i just noticed, probably another one of the massive yet funny plot holes in the game

so makarov is an internationally know terrorist right? in one of the loading screens we see his face on newspapers and magazines and what not, right? so the security cameras in the airport no doubt caught some pretty clear shots of his face, right? can you see where i'm going with this one? IF IT WAS AN AMERICAN LED ATTACK WHAT THE FUCK IS MAKAROV DOING THERE?
Holy crap you're right... :lol

There is a security camera pic when you use mission select though, and I don't think you can make out who it is...but still, there had to be someone who saw him.

dustin

Neo Member
chubigans said:
Holy crap you're right... :lol

There is a security camera pic when you use mission select though, and I don't think you can make out who it is...but still, there had to be someone who saw him.
hahaha, oh goddddd. another thing

how did the russians know you were american? what about the other guy who died? how do you identify a corpse by nationality? and WHY THE FUCK WOULD AMERICAN SPONSOR A BRUTAL TERRORIST MASSACRE AT A RUSSIAN AIRPORT? rawr

Raxus

With all the latency issues I have been having I begin to wonder why console gamers don't demand more dedicated servers in their games.

teekun

Raxus said:
With all the latency issues I have been having I begin to wonder why console gamers don't demand more dedicated servers in their games.

The problems I'm having with latency aren't even related to dedicated servers. It's because the game won't let me filter matchmaking to games in my region. I don't understand why Infinity Ward has left this out, when Treyarch figured out how beneficial it was to people who don't live in North America or Europe.

TheFreshPrince

Not to sound like a complete multiplayer newb, but are you invisible to radar only when standing still, or can you crouch and move and still go unseen?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
dustin said:
hahaha, oh goddddd. another thing

how did the russians know you were american? what about the other guy who died? how do you identify a corpse by nationality? and WHY THE FUCK WOULD AMERICAN SPONSOR A BRUTAL TERRORIST MASSACRE AT A RUSSIAN AIRPORT? rawr

Haha, yeah. The basis for the plot is formed on one giant plothole, basically.

It's actually pretty fucking retarded:

Considering that russians and americans are very similar in looks, no one could really identify the guy you were playing as as an american unless through some form of ID...which he obviously would not have on him when he was with the russian terrorists. The other way is for america to confess that it was their guy, which would also be retarded. So basically, either the US is completely fucking retarded and left the guy's ID on him, or the US is completely fucking retarded and they confessed. Logically, they'd just chalk him up to being some random guy, because they don't ID people in russia like they do here. It's like...wtf? This was the big controversial scene that does set up for the war, but it sets it up in a way that makes no sense.

Of course you get the twists later on(Shepherd), and they don't really touch on Makarov much at that point. You never get a motivation for why they're doing this, or again how the fuck they made Shepherd into that high of a rank if he wasn't really loyal.

How do they get such massive plotholes in such a flimsily told story? That's the general rule of thumb--the less you say, the less a chance of a contradiction, but IW sure proved that wrong. :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
TheFreshPrince said:
Not to sound like a complete multiplayer newb, but are you invisible to radar only when standing still, or can you crouch and move and still go unseen?
If a UAV is up and you don't have the Cold Blooded perk on you show up no matter what you're doing.

1 USP45 with tactical knife attachment: 100 pistol kills
1 Marathon Pro: Sprinted 26 miles
1 Lightweight Pro: Sprinted 30 miles
1 Commando Pro: 100(150?) knife kills
The expressions of rage in the postgame lobby when the enemy team realizes you and your three friends in [KNYF] just wrecked their shit 75-39 on Wasteland using only melee's (and the occasional predator missile/1 pavelow): Priceless

There are some things money cant buy. For everything else, theres *knife*....*gurgle*

DarkJC said:
So after 5 prestiges do you get anything for the rest of them? Or do you only get a new custom slot every other prestige or something?
In WaW anyway, you got extra custom slots on your first, second, forth, seventh and tenth prestige.

ultron87

Pyke Presco said:
The expressions of rage in the postgame lobby when the enemy team realizes you and your three friends in [KNYF] just wrecked their shit 75-39 on Wasteland using only melee's (and the occasional predator missile/1 pavelow): Priceless

There are some things money cant buy. For everything else, theres *knife*....*gurgle*

I really need to start getting pistol kills. Because this sounds incredibly enjoyable to me.

Pyke Presco said:

Yeah, strangely this has been my most effective build. I think I had an 11 kill streak with it yesterday - I never am able to kill anyone with the pistol though, just melee.

corpserot

KGKK said:
I put CoDMW2's launch success on the Eminem/Dre. Till I Collapse playing the launch trailer/commercials is so awesome:D Got everyone up in every shit to buy this game!
If I where not already interested, it would discourage me.

DoomGyver

Pyke Presco said:

I got 7 or 8 tactical knifes in a row on Favela last night. Feels good man.

Kibbles

dustin said:

Exactly. I didn't understand it from the moment that footage leaked.

Top Bottom