• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just went 31-5 and carried my team to the win. Had a long ass killstreak and got two pave low care packages. Was ridiculous.

teekun

Kibbles said:
It was basically the same in CoD4. People want to back out more though because there are less maps that are actually good. =\

It's unfortunate, since WaW actually fixed some of the issues CoD4 had, only to see them reintroduced in MW2. Ugh.

Median

Had a team of guys (all 55+) purposefully not taking headquarters during a Headquarters match tonight. They were controlling the entire map, really good at it too, but then they decided to be complete douchebags and just rack up kills rather than ending the game. I was pretty pissed.

I've never been so frustrated with a multiplayer game, ever. The no party chat in simple team deathmatch thing is ridiculous. No one works together in plain Team Deathmatch no matter how much you try to encourage it. They just talk shit to each other. That's the XBL community. Team Hardcore, and Tactical is a different story because of the type of player they draw in. I have to mute every single person in the game besides my buddy to play team deathmatch. Then there's the problem of it not putting us in the same game left and right even though we're in a party together.

Then there's the problem with several really bad maps. And even some of the maps that are all right, are just too complicated with too many places to hide and camp. There are a few decent maps, a few awful maps, and then just a few that aren't bad, but encourage this campfest bullshit that's taking the community by storm.

I'm drawn to play, but I'm getting really frustrated. Not sure what to think about it at this point.

I swear to God I get hit by every Predator missile that goes up. Probably because I'm not hiding inside the same room the entire game like 80% of the people on Live.

M_A_C

yes we can said:
Ever since I downloaded 1.04 patch I can no longer join friends invites :lol . I don't see how they keep messing this up. I am sure by Wednesday there will be a 1.05 patch PS3.

I was having major issues tonight also.

Other PS3 weirdness is I have my PS3 and 360 connected into the same router and the PS3 reports my connection as moderate while the 360 is open. WTF?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Median said:
Had a team of guys (all 55+) purposefully not taking headquarters during a Headquarters match tonight. They were controlling the entire map, really good at it too, but then they decided to be complete douchebags and just rack up kills rather than ending the game. I was pretty pissed.
I had that last night, so then I sneaked into where the HQ was and killed the 2 guys guarding it and took it :lol Still lost tho :(

bathala

Banned
finally finished SP, that was intense but the ending was
fucking cliffhanger

overall, had a good time with the SP. back to MP

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Median said:

At the risk of being a broken record: a majority of the people playing this do not care about whether they win a match or not. Whatever XP bonuses they are not getting from completing objectives or winning matches they will get from shooting another few dozen people on opposing teams.

I've been playing mostly sabotage because at least in that case the idiots obsessing over kill streaks actually come in handy eventually. Once the whole other team is wiped out, it becomes quite easy to plant the bomb and get into position to defend it.

I think part of the problem is how utterly worthless the win/loss ratio statistic is. I get thrown into a game that is nearly over any time I enter a playlist so I have no clue what the actual win/loss standings would be for games I played through in their entirety. Once concern for winning goes out the window, people work on weapon unlocks, topping the K/D ratio of people on their friend's list, and eventually head shots for gun camo. It is a bizarre situation that I do not see being resolved without making sure people get to enter games when they are starting, or are at least close in score. And even then who knows if anyone would actually give a shit.

rodvik

Pyke Presco said:
If I go through all the work of getting up to melee range when you have an assault rifle/SMG/LMG/sniper/claymore traps, I bloody well deserve that kill, thank you very much. If you can 1 shot me with a sniper rifle from 300 feet away, or with a FAMAS burst at 75 feet, my knife at 1 foot should get the edge. Just sayin'.

Hearken to this truth bringer I say!

I dont use the knife build but dammit if one of these crazy berserker's gets past my high tech arsenal of destruction then I applaud him. Getting knifed that way is not frustrating to me, I salute the opponent who can do it, the odds are stacked against him.

I've noticed my XP doesn't increase when my team has captured a HQ and I'm dead. I think that's a bad move because some of the motivation is gone to capture them now - at least in COD4 if you captured it and then died you had 70/80 points to gain in your death.

J-Rzez

So we were losing in domination, bad 170-80. Went on a killing spree and nuked everyone to hell. I'll give this game this one point of credit, it's hilarious the anger it causes when you nuke someone, especially when you're losing. People were screaming at me for 3 games afterwards, plus got a ton of "hateful" voice messages. Unfortunately, it's an early day for me tomorrow.

I'm tired, but all the shit talking was worth staying up. Glad I stayed on for those last games with my friends :D

Sandman42

bigswords said:
How much damage more does danger close do with nade launchers + explosives? Does it increase the radius of these types of weapons as well?
It seems to have a bigger killing radius and I have also been able to kill people wearing the blast shield. I think some shots that normally wouldn't kill, would kill with danger close.

SickBoy

I thought the story was pretty laughable. Some great storytelling moments, but they sort of lose their impact wrapped in a bad comic book.

Kibbles said:
What the fucking hell am I supposed to do here? I'm stuck on
the last part of the mission where you are running down to the extraction point from Makarov's safehouse. I'm playing on Veteran and my checkpoint I keep getting shot up and I die. I've been trying to get around for at least 15 min now. This is fucking pissing me off.

[edit] I somehow made it by staying back for a bit after killing some guys and running on the right side. Just barely made it.

It seems to me that the game frequently demands a particular pace, as if to push you through the level, but not so fast that you're just running away from the action. Engaging a handful and then moving on. I feel like the game is always trying to push you in the right direction, but a lot of times it doesn't entirely succeed.

I was so close to starting a MW2 single-player thread, because I don't think a mass thread for everything serves any purpose other than to get a huge post count (ooh, we're almost at 10,000 posts, I'm so giddy -- I have a feeling this will turn into a garbage-y KZ2-esque thread). But I didn't. Throwing the idea out there for someone more adventurous :)

Perhaps it could be a thread to cater to people who've finished the game, too, thereby eliminating the spoiler tags.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why yes, other team, I would like to engage in a discussion over whether or not it is in fact my bedtime.

SickBoy said:
I thought the story was pretty laughable. Some great storytelling moments, but they sort of lose their impact wrapped in a bad comic book.

It seems to me that the game frequently demands a particular pace, as if to push you through the level, but not so fast that you're just running away from the action. Engaging a handful and then moving on. I feel like the game is always trying to push you in the right direction, but a lot of times it doesn't entirely succeed.

I was so close to starting a MW2 single-player thread, because I don't think a mass thread for everything serves any purpose other than to get a huge post count (ooh, we're almost at 10,000 posts, I'm so giddy -- I have a feeling this will turn into a garbage-y KZ2-esque thread). But I didn't. Throwing the idea out there for someone more adventurous :)

Perhaps it could be a thread to cater to people who've finished the game, too, thereby eliminating the spoiler tags.

I think someone should

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Just went 37-4 on that brazil map. The one that starts with an F. Didn't have nuke unlocked and got a 27 kill streak. FML

Was pretty bad ass though, had m16, red dot, heart beat sensor, and stopping power. Killed a dude who had a riot shield, put it on my back so I couldn't get killed from behind. It was amazing. :D

punkypine

i just had my best night ever and i thought everyone who was constantly talking about all their huge games were exaggerating, but i had a few of the 19-2 or 36-5 type games tonight too haha. i was off to an awful start (i only played like 10 games before tonight), but the game finally started to click again.

and i've actually been enjoying alot of the maps, i'm not sure what all the complaints are. even the "bad" maps, nothing annoys me as much as bloc or the clusterfuck grenade spam ship map. i did have a few drops in frame rate (360 version) during some crazy parts of the game which was kinda annoying, but it never got me killed so i cant complain too much

Mik2121

Not a Jellyfish said:
Just went 37-4 on that brazil map. The one that starts with an F. Didn't have nuke unlocked and got a 27 kill streak. FML

Was pretty bad ass though, had m16, red dot, heart beat sensor, and stopping power. Killed a dude who had a riot shield, put it on my back so I couldn't get killed from behind. It was amazing. :D
Favela. That map sucks hard.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Tkawsome said:
Especially since all you get is extra mags. It's not even a good upgrade.
Ya im doing it now to just get it done on SCAR....I dont know why Im wasting a bling attachment on it :lol

Tkawsome said:
Especially since all you get is extra mags. It's not even a good upgrade.
It is. I've had a few 7/8 killstreaks that were ruined by the fact I ran out of ammo and had to scavenge for a new gun, only to be picked off on my way.

I think part of the problem is how utterly worthless the win/loss ratio statistic is. I get thrown into a game that is nearly over any time I enter a playlist so I have no clue what the actual win/loss standings would be for games I played through in their entirety. Once concern for winning goes out the window, people work on weapon unlocks, topping the K/D ratio of people on their friend's list, and eventually head shots for gun camo. It is a bizarre situation that I do not see being resolved without making sure people get to enter games when they are starting, or are at least close in score. And even then who knows if anyone would actually give a shit.

This is a reason why a game like Killzone 2's multiplayer structure works better. Since the objective changes 5 times, people stay more focused as a team when you lose a round. People don't automatically give up and go do their own thing.

This is why I have a hard time enjoying Cod's multiplayer. I always feel like I'm playing alone.

KGKK

Banned
Bwahahahahaha I love the melee, commando, marathon, lightweight combo!! So much fun. It ruins the K/D ratio on some maps however nothing like feeling like the prick that pisses everyone off. Gotta level up the pistol for the knife. Hmm that will take a whiel. Maybe in free-for-all.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This is a reason why a game like Killzone 2's multiplayer structure works better. Since the objective changes 5 times, people stay more focused as a team when you lose a round. People don't automatically give up and go do their own thing.

This is why I have a hard time enjoying Cod's multiplayer. I always feel like I'm playing alone.

So true. I enjoyed KZ2's MP far more than MW2. I'm just baffled that so many MW2 players don't care about winning. Yes, I know you can just play with your friends/clan and it's not a problem. But even if your own team is doing the "right thing", the other team probably isn't either so you get 200-0 games in HQ. Weeeeeeee. I've stuck to FFA or TDM the last few times I played.

KGKK

Banned
Just wondering now that I have the cold blooded perk if it is worth keeping the silencer on the weapon, in other words, can the enemy still see you on the map if your shoot without the silencer?

KGKK said:
Just wondering now that I have the cold blooded perk if it is worth keeping the silencer on the weapon, in other words, can the enemy still see you on the map if your shoot without the silencer?
Once you shoot w/out your silencer, they will see your dot, but it will fade away again afterwards despite them having an UAV.

Oreoleo

KGKK said:

Yes, the cold blooded perk only hides you from UAVs/Predators/sentries/other deployables. Remove the silencer and you'll still show up on radar when you fire.

And even if you have both equipped, you'll still show up on heart beat sensors unless you have the Ninja perk equipped. With all 3 equipped at once you are effectively untraceable until the enemy sees you on screen with their own eyes.

Anyone else have friends who insist on playing one match type at all times? My friends only play domination, but I'd love to play mosh pit to mix it up a little.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
GillianSeed79 said:
Anyone else have friends who insist on playing one match type at all times? My friends only play domination, but I'd love to play mosh pit to mix it up a little.

Me and my friends will usually hop into ground war or tdm but I have the most fun playing domination. I don't know why but it seems so simple that anyone can play and I end up having some really close games in it.

NeoUltima

So yeah, earlier today I decided to say screw silencer(on my blinged heartbeat+silencer m4) and use holographic sight instead. I'm glad I made the switch. So I unveil myself when I shoot, but its worth it for the extra accuracy. I'm almost always on the move anyway...Plus I can lure people by shooting, and still, thanks to HB sensor, get the jump on them as they come for me.

minx

Median said:

Yeah me and all my friends do this. My bad. :lol

dralla

god i hate the heartbeat sensor, it does nothing but encourage camping. why does it only show enemies in red? do teamates have different kinds of hearts

Jtrizzy

Dude what is up with the matchmaking? I just started MP tonight, and I'm in with guys consistently ranked in the 60's etc. It seems totally fucked, I played for at least an hour or two, always with much better ranks than me.

xbhaskarx

RSTEIN said:
I'm shocked at what a mess the entire campaign is, really. The story is horrible and doesn't make sense. Then game play... oh boy. I don't know why these guys don't know how to make a single player campaign anymore. It's the same old MW1 bullshit: hey, let's throw 15,000 guys at the player and call it a day! The mission where you're going through Brazil for the first or second time (I forget... where you have to chase after the dude) is just amazingly awful. Really. It's just nonsensical. I was shaking my head trying to figure out how anyone could find it fun.

The multiplayer is near perfection tho. Maps are incredible.

Everyone who worked on the single player campaign story should be shot.

Jtrizzy

dralla said:
that's just how IW's MM works, it doesn't really match skill. Halo's MM is still the best

So couldn't it at least put me with people ranked beside me ie 2's and 3's as opposed to 67's etc? Kind of sucks starting out against the best players.

Ten-Song

Jtrizzy said:
So couldn't it at least put me with people ranked beside me ie 2's and 3's as opposed to 67's etc? Kind of sucks starting out against the best players.

The thing is, the level someone is doesn't tell you anything of their skill. In Halo 3, for example, if I keep blowing it in match making, I go down a level, so it only puts me with people of the same skill range. In this game though, someone can suck and still get to 65 eventually.

What is it about getting a crazy kill streak (and I don't mean number of kills, more of how I got them) that I end up in absolute hysterics and piss myself!

It's so funny, it hurts!

But then you play on Wastlland or Afghan and get fucking murdered.

Whoo, completed the attachment challenge for my precious FAL. I must say, I'm less in love with it than I was 1000 kills ago, but whatever. The FMJ challenge made me puke blood.

Also time for map hate-a-thon!

Fuck you Invasion! You are a shitty ass map!

I can't believe people hate on Wasteland. That map has something for everyone. It's probably the best Domination map in the game. I only play Ground War, though, so whatever. It and Terminal are easily the best Domination maps.

Wish this game had a true Big Team Battle playlist. I'd be willing to give other modes a shot, but I can't stand the smaller teams.

MarkMclovin said:
But then you play on Wastlland or Afghan and get fucking murdered.

Afghan is near perfection too! How can you people hate on that thing?

Jtrizzy said:

Levels in CoD are more of an indicator of how often you play, not skill. It's just XP, and you can't lose it.

Top Bottom