• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Brakara said:
Again, why would you talk with your friends instead of the people you are playing with?

Party chat and people like you are why public team based games have become so much worse.

Really?

Small transcript from a COD game the other day :

ME - Hey guys, come over to the left with me, I have the bomb and need backing up by the downed heli
Someone - Fuck you English fag, go and drink tea.

I laughed mind as I'm not English nor drink tea. (Never understood the tea thing either)

enewtabie

Brakara said:
Again, why would you talk with your friends instead of the people you are playing with?

Party chat and people like you are why public team based games have become so much worse.

I could understand it for Hardcore matches or something. But as having playing many many hours of TDM on both COD4/WAW, you don't work as a team. It's too frantic paced for that. Lots of grenades and quick deaths.

How about making it a selectable choice in map selection instead of just taking it away from everybody. Besides the dumb video,dedicated servers and now this IW is doing it's best to piss everyone off.

Sectus

Brakara said:

Well, as I see it, online chat on X-Box Live can be one of 2 things:
-Talking with friends
-Or talking with strangers who'd rather spend time insulting me because of my unusual accent and calling everybody fags randomly, instead of actually talking about teamplay.

It's just disturbing what kind of bullshit you have to go through when playing on xbox live. In a GTA4 online match one guy was having a long speech about how every black person should be killed. When playing Halo 3, every player sounds like the same 12 year old calling everybody fags. Even in less popular shooters like MoH:A I meet a bunch of people who spend the entire match just shouting random insults into the mic.

Brakara said:

Because I don't want to converse with, or even hear, assholes over Xbox Live? Besides for me, before party chat, there was never a time when randoms on team games would work together (honestly, I can't think of a single instance). Party Chat doesn't make online games any worse than they are.

Brakara

Maybe it's a culture thing? Being European, I've rarely encountered loud assholes on XBL. And if I do, it's not that hard to mute them (I also use the avoid feature). I've also had lots of great games with randoms, at least until party chat was introduced. After that, XBL turned dead silent.

Weenerz

Banned
Good for that guy for actually responding that he's a big guy and super excited. Most people would to hide into their holes but he actually responded.

Interesting. I wondered why COD4 games have gone so silent these days. Used to be we'd talk up enemy positions and such. (I don't party chat, so I assumed people were just not talking even though everyone in the game had a mic).

F#A#Oo

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Dear god he's breathing like he just ran a five mile sprint.

What's also funny is that the PS3 is getting party chat sometime soon. PS3 version > 360 :lol

He does look a bit on the chunky side of life...

EDIT: Yeah pretty much the case it seems...

Eric WK

I think it's safe to say that there aren't any COD4 map remakes yet. I'm guessing one of the first two map packs will be all remakes or they'll put one in each or something.

I guess that's one way (albeit not exactly necessary) of insuring sales.

And in quest to get the damn game news, as long as a particular shop still has the game in stock and is still selling early, I'll be playing this tonight. I need to be careful not to get my hopes up, though.

Raxus

Going back to party chat discussion. I prefer to play my games talking with friends instead random douchebags yelling in my ear. I can get frustrated playing games sometimes and it eases the pain talking with friends making fun of me hulking out over a game. :lol

i bet you they change the party chat thing to only be in search playlists(or something like that) in the next couple weeks. People are not going to give up bitching about it.

I dont really care. My friends and I will fill up a whole room, so it wont really matter to us.

cameltoe

Net_Wrecker said:
On the other hand, my group of friends don't give a crap what we're doing. We generally say anything that's on our minds, and a conversation will break out in the middle of the most heated battle, whether on the same game or not. Who wants to hear that in the game channel?

PS, I think you meant there are NO UNRANKED playlists in CoD. Everything is ranked.

ffs change your xbox settings to friends only! WTF is the problem here?

Eric WK

xDangerboy said:
is there any word on playlist specific stats like k/d?

I'd like to know this as well. I'm not sure why nobody who has the game has commented on what's been added/changed with the leaderboards.

fraaap

Neo Member
Cross-game party chat didn't even exist 12 months ago, it makes complete sense for it to be disabled for competitive team games. The idea of team games is that, you know, you work as a team - you communicate tactics, warnings etc to your team mates. If you want to chat to a friend who isn't even playing the same game as you, pick up the phone and call them, or just fucking wait.

I am surprised that it has taken a whole year for this problem to be fixed (and that's what it is, a problem).

Az

OMG OMG I am sitting at work and just checked my shipment, its en route to my house.

God my crazy ass wife will play this before me :lol Just so she can call me and rub it in.

cameltoe

down anybody know if aim assist can be disabled in MP????

TheAzRim said:
OMG OMG I am sitting at work and just checked my shipment, its en route to my house.

God my crazy ass wife will play this before me :lol Just so she can call me and rub it in.

Same! Wife wont play though, she may hide the fucker!

Beezy

Anyone mentioned anything about offline splitscreen multiplayer yet? Is it still in? Are there still only a few classes that you can choose from?

Arjen

fraaap said:
Cross-game party chat didn't even exist 12 months ago, it makes complete sense for it to be disabled for competitive team games. The idea of team games is that, you know, you work as a team - you communicate tactics, warnings etc to your team mates. If you want to chat to a friend who isn't even playing the same game as you, pick up the phone and call them, or just fucking wait.

I am surprised that it has taken a whole year for this problem to be fixed (and that's what it is, a problem).

Tactics??
Did we play the same Modern Warfare on Xbox Live?
All i heard were insults and people singing

Raxus

Arjen said:
Tactics??
And crying kids.
Parents playing.
Music blasting in the background.
Static.
Etc. I could go on and on and on and on...

MarkMclovin said:
Well then there you go, the majority of XBL doesn't want to talk to you or anyone else other than their friends.

lol at teamwork in a COD game.

Pretty much.

I joined a CoD game solo while waiting for mates to log on and the running comantary was how one dude really needed a shit and how bad it was going to be, some guy talking to his friend about the girl he met the other day.

I mean the fuck? I dont want to hear this shit but now EVERYTIME i want to play SND with mates ill hear this? I hope to god only being able to hear friends works.

Another thing ill miss is when I join a game friends are in and im against them and the swearing/reactions I get when I kill them or when they kill me :lol

fraaap said:

QYuZt.png

protonion

Just got the pal ps3 version!!!!

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00577.jpg

SP first then MP.See you all online in a couple of days.
PSN ID : protos_gamer

Add me if you want.Like cod4 I'll be playing for years.

Alpha_eX

Did you get that instore, tempted to nip down to Argos and try get a copy, dozy staff in there usually sell if it's behind the counter.

All this bitching and moan...you guys act as if there isn't a mute option. I can understand berating IW for the F.A.G.S. video and dedicated servers. Party chat, though, comes off as grasping at straws.

Also, any PS3 game that has no inner sleeve artwork comes off looking super cheap. Sony should really make that mandatory, IMHO.

Dabanton

Arjen said:
Tactics??

Well i've played plenty of games with total strangers where tactics were used. And they are great fun.

You just 1 or 2 people to rally the team.

Dabanton

Alpha_eX said:
Did you get that instore, tempted to nip down to Argos and try get a copy, dozy staff in there usually sell if it's behind the counter.

They are wise to that now it will be locked at the till with a warning not to sell.

You used to be able to reserve it online then go and pick it up, but they closed that loophole. :lol

The good thing about Live is a couple of button presses and you've permanently muted someone across all games for all of eternity. So if someone is calling you a fag or talking about having to take a shit you mute them and then you don't hear them and they don't hear you. Before party chat, me and 4 or 5 of my real life friends constantly played MW SnD and we'd simply join a room and mute every person in it.

Party chat made it easier, but it also allowed us to cheat by being able to see things going on and alert each other even after we'd died. And when I'd play alone or out of a party chat, you could tell a lot of people were doing the same thing we'd been doing. So I am all for a ban on party chat for most modes in the game. If you have friends also playing MW2, join their game and mute everyone else. If they are on another game and you are playing alone, play some Mercenary stuff. It's not a big deal.

chapel

Banned
TheAzRim said:
guy playing now at ustream, pretty good quality...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/the-best-game-ever
Yeah he has been on for a very long time. Like 10+ hours. I watched him all last night yesterday, and have been watching him tonight.

He is a pretty good player, has switched up setups here and there so thats fun. He is enjoying his n00b tubes (
pro pipes as someone said in chat
) atm.

I am considering getting a capture card to stream when I play, anyone else interested?

Az

chapel said:
Yeah he has been on for a very long time. Like 10+ hours. I watched him all last night yesterday, and have been watching him tonight.

He is a pretty good player, has switched up setups here and there so thats fun. He is enjoying his n00b tubes (
pro pipes as someone said in chat
) atm.

I am considering getting a capture card to stream when I play, anyone else interested?

yea looks like he is trying all the weapons unlocked. Go ahead get the card, I'll watch :D

tHoMNZ

have you guys noticed from the videos? The game has no fucking recoil. IW have finally removed all recoil from their games. It's always about reducing the skill ceiling and therefore allowing duds to compete. What are they going to do with MW3? Slowly increase autoaim until you don't have to play the game at all?

Fucking christ they are noobs

tHoMNZ said:
have you guys noticed from the videos? The game has no fucking recoil. IW have finally removed all recoil from their games. It's always about reducing the skill ceiling and therefore allowing duds to compete. What are they going to do with MW3? Slowly increase autoaim until you don't have to play the game at all?

Fucking christ they are noobs

The past COD's have had almost no recoil either.

You could put a scope on a skorpion machine pistol and snipe with it even, this is nothing new.

Lothars

Bumblebeetuna said:
The good thing about Live is a couple of button presses and you've permanently muted someone across all games for all of eternity. So if someone is calling you a fag or talking about having to take a shit you mute them and then you don't hear them and they don't hear you. Before party chat, me and 4 or 5 of my real life friends constantly played MW SnD and we'd simply join a room and mute every person in it.

Party chat made it easier, but it also allowed us to cheat by being able to see things going on and alert each other even after we'd died. And when I'd play alone or out of a party chat, you could tell a lot of people were doing the same thing we'd been doing. So I am all for a ban on party chat for most modes in the game. If you have friends also playing MW2, join their game and mute everyone else. If they are on another game and you are playing alone, play some Mercenary stuff. It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal by saying it's not doesn't make it any less so because they are disabling party chat in a majority of the online means they are hurting everyone that plays MW2, I never talk to anyone in public chat because the majority of people playing never use teamwork anyway and really there's no point in talking to them in public games.

tHoMNZ

BattleMonkey said:
The past COD's have had almost no recoil either.

You could put a scope on a skorpion machine pistol and snipe with it even, this is nothing new.

Thats my point, MW1 was dumbed down too, but this is worse. Go play cod1, and tell me about recoil. Cod2 had recoil but it was slightly tamer. It was a slow, but obvious progression to absolutely zero recoil

Full Recovery said:
why is it using the old ps3 boxart?
My guess is that Infinity Ward had the boxart finalized before the new PS3 boxart came out.
As we know with how they handled Trophies, they don't change anything after it's said and done.

That launch trailer was extremely awesome. A bit spoiler heavy though, IMO.
The bit in space!!!
Hopefully there are some other exciting sets we didn't see in that trailer.

tHoMNZ said:
Thats my point, MW1 was dumbed down, but this is worse. Go play cod1/2 and tell me about recoil

When they put out MW1 and have it sell 14+ million copies, they see what people liked and what worked for the general gaming community. It sucks for some hardcore fans who like realism, but sadly they are gonna stick with what works for them. Look at a game with heavy recoil or "realism" and you often see lot of player flak due to people having to work harder to be good at it.

tHoMNZ

BattleMonkey said:
When they put out MW1 and have it sell 14+ million copies, they see what people liked and what worked for the general gaming community. It sucks for some hardcore fans who like realism, but sadly they are gonna stick with what works for them. Look at a game with heavy recoil or "realism" and you often see lot of player flak due to people having to work harder to be good at it.

Its not even about realism, it's about difficulty and forcing you to learn the skills to be good. The easier it gets, the less time the game lives. Games are becoming throw away crap. I guess thats what that cunt who runs Activision wants though,

tHoMNZ said:
Its not even about realism, it's about difficulty and forcing you to learn the skills to be good. The easier it gets, the less time the game lives. Games are becoming throw away crap. I guess thats what that cunt who runs Activision wants though,

Except it didn't affect the games longevity with MW1 or WaW, games are still heavily played today even 2 years later. What they did was by making it "easy" was make the game more accessible. COD4+ probably are some of the most accessible FPS to come out in years, a person can easily pick it up and kick ass from the start (on consoles) and they feel great about it since the game is constantly rewarding you with points, text being tossed at your, ranks, awards, etc, etc. People feel like they pick up a controller and they are instantly bad ass and don't require to invest a whole bunch of time into it to actually put up a fight like in say something like a Rainbow Six title where noobs are gonna get creamed.

chapel

Banned
tHoMNZ said:
Thats my point, MW1 was dumbed down too, but this is worse. Go play cod1, and tell me about recoil. Cod2 had recoil but it was slightly tamer. It was a slow, but obvious progression to absolutely zero recoil
The difference is in the era of weapons. The early games were WW2 and the weapons had much more recoil. They were harder to use in general. That is just how it was.

Move to MW1, and you are talking about modern weapons that have been designed for little to no recoil. Of course there still is recoil, but not what WW2 weapons had. You could call this dumbing it down, I call it staying true to the weapons.

BattleMonkey said:
It is true people enjoy it more. Though recoil does not equal realism. It is put in for artificial difficulty and really doesn't add anything other than to differentiate the guns.

I really don't see how people care that there are measures to get more people to play? The more elite the game, the less people that play it, the less potential for great players to rise to the top. If all you want to do is play against the same set of people, go play CS 1.6

I agree that games are getting easier, but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing. That also doesn't mean the difficulty that hardcore gamers expect is gone. Before it was just 1 difficulty and that was hard, now you have easy to hard.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
tHoMNZ said:

What are you talking about, the less time the game lives? Yeah, no one is playing MW1 at all. It died a quick death, right? All games are going to more accesibility to give everyone a chance to play and have fun. It is about inclusion. If you are an uber player, you still will dominate the noobs.

Lothars said:
It is a big deal by saying it's not doesn't make it any less so because they are disabling party chat in a majority of the online means they are hurting everyone that plays MW2, I never talk to anyone in public chat because the majority of people playing never use teamwork anyway and really there's no point in talking to them in public games.

And? By disabling party chat, you still don't have to hear or talk to any of them. And as an added bonus, now no one is cheating. Not a big deal.

Top Bottom