• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
BattleMonkey said:
Except it didn't affect the games longevity with MW1 or WaW, games are still heavily played today even 2 years later. What they did was by making it "easy" was make the game more accessible. COD4+ probably are some of the most accessible FPS to come out in years, a person can easily pick it up and kick ass from the start (on consoles) and they feel great about it since the game is constantly rewarding you with points, text being tossed at your, ranks, awards, etc, etc. People feel like they pick up a controller and they are instantly bad ass and don't require to invest a whole bunch of time into it to actually put up a fight like in say something like a Rainbow Six title where noobs are gonna get creamed.
You act like newbies don't get creamed in MW1 multiplayer... they do, very badly.

chapel

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Except it didn't affect the games longevity with MW1 or WaW, games are still heavily played today even 2 years later. What they did was by making it "easy" was make the game more accessible. COD4+ probably are some of the most accessible FPS to come out in years, a person can easily pick it up and kick ass from the start (on consoles) and they feel great about it since the game is constantly rewarding you with points, text being tossed at your, ranks, awards, etc, etc. People feel like they pick up a controller and they are instantly bad ass and don't require to invest a whole bunch of time into it to actually put up a fight like in say something like a Rainbow Six title where noobs are gonna get creamed.
Yes, totally.

The sad thing is though, a lot of people hate jumping into games like this because there are so many good players that seem to dominate. So it is hard for a n00b to jump in lets say 6 months after release and feel like he has a chance to really compete. I know that they do, its just when you are being dominated constantly, most people fold under pressure.

I don't think there is much you can do about that outside of having a new player playlist, but with no ranking in place like Halo, not sure how it would work out. Maybe trueskill would actually work?

DoomGyver

Bumblebeetuna said:
And? By disabling party chat, you still don't have to hear or talk to any of them. And as an added bonus, now no one is cheating. Not a big deal.
Wrong, if people want to cheat by spotting they'll just go back to how they were doing it before party chat was available. The only way to stop this is for IW to remove the spectators ability to watch the other team.

chapel said:
Though recoil does not equal realism.

More realistic than no recoil. It's a game yes, but to say it doesn't add some realism to the use of a firearm is dishonest. Recoil is a major aspect of firing a real gun.

chapel said:
It is put in for artificial difficulty and really doesn't add anything other than to differentiate the guns.

Artificial difficulty? Come on now, so now if a game has recoil in a weapon it's trying to create some kind of fake learning curve?

And how is differentiating guns wrong? Especially when recoil, spread, accuracy, speed, etc are all factors in differentiating real world guns apart. You rather guns all be exactly the same? Why have anything other than one gun for each type of weapon then only if they are not gonna be different?

RubxQub said:
You act like newbies don't get creamed in MW1 multiplayer... they do, very badly.

As I said, compared to other games, noobs in COD games generally feel powerful and don't feel like shit starting out. There will always be a measure of skill in a game to those who played longer, but theres a big difference to how friendly a game is starting out. Some FPS can take a long time to be somewhat competitive against the hardcore player base.

Newbie jumping into something like Rainbow Six, Americas Army, Red Orchestra, etc etc will get slapped around big time and often they will be discouraged.

tHoMNZ

BattleMonkey said:
More realistic than no recoil. It's a game yes, but to say it doesn't add some realism to the use of a firearm is dishonest. Recoil is a major aspect of firing a real gun.

Artificial difficulty? Come on now, so now if a game has recoil in a weapon it's trying to create some kind of fake learning curve?

And how is differentiating guns wrong? Especially when recoil, spread, accuracy, speed, etc are all factors in differentiating real world guns apart. You rather guns all be exactly the same? Why have anything other than one gun for each type of weapon then only if they are not gonna be different?

You raise a good point. Because imo, all of MW1's guns felt the same. Ok I accept that COD4 lives on in some form, but for a lot of people, the game is dead to them, because it got old fast, there was no learning curve. All you've got left are the noobs, i'd hardly call that game 'alive'

tHoMNZ said:
You raise a good point. Because imo, all of MW1's guns felt the same. Ok I accept that COD4 lives on in some form, but for a lot of people, the game is dead to them, because it got old fast, there was no learning curve. All you've got left are the noobs, i'd hardly call that game 'alive'

Well it's doing fine as a community and the millions playing 2 years later is more than alive really.

Obviously though you should just move onto other games like Operation Flashpoint or something for now and not let it bother you.

RubxQub

BattleMonkey said:
As I said, compared to other games, noobs in COD games generally feel powerful and don't feel like shit starting out. There will always be a measure of skill in a game to those who played longer, but theres a big difference to how friendly a game is starting out. Some FPS can take a long time to be somewhat competitive against the hardcore player base.

Newbie jumping into something like Rainbow Six, Americas Army, Red Orchestra, etc etc will get slapped around big time and often they will be discouraged.
I'd argue that the killstreak stuff makes it even harder for newbies to get used to the game. They're constantly getting killed and they're constantly buffing the other team's ability to find them and kill them with their sucking.

I can only imagine how frustrating that has to be to constantly die, and then enable the other team to kill you even harder because of how bad you're sucking.

tHoMNZ

Mad Max said:
I think you guys played a different COD1 then me, because in the COD1 I played the weapons barely had any recoil..

yet they've found a way to decrease it lol. There was never recoil (only spread) when not ironsighting, but there was a good kick when ironsighted. Now, it's just zero.

I didn't realise you could do that with modern weapons

Anyway, i'm over moaning about MW2, IW can kiss my ass, I might give BC2 a go ;D

RubxQub said:
I'd argue that the killstreak stuff makes it even harder for newbies to get used to the game. They're constantly getting killed and they're constantly buffing the other team's ability to find them and kill them with their sucking.

I can only imagine how frustrating that has to be to constantly die, and then enable the other team to kill you even harder because of how bad you're sucking.

Except for players with any sense of FPS play are gonna jump into COD and be able to handle themselves. Again it's all about accessibility, there will always be ass clowns who can't play a game for the life of them, but you will also have those who will jump into the game quick and be kicking some ass early on.

As I said, it's not about really being number one or top of the score board, but the feeling a player gets since the game is so liberal on rewards. Your first kill and shits flying all around the screen, your quickly leveling up getting cool guitar riffs playing, your completing early challenges, it makes a person feel good. IW did an amazing thing with COD4's set up in making something that quickly addicts a person. Its all about accessibility, not really player skill because players in COD jump in and they feel rewarded and want to keep playing unlike other games where they get nothing and just see their lousy score and walk away.

The other big thing is that death is a minor thing in COD, you are instantly back into the action so your not stuck waiting for timer to respawn, your not waiting for round to end, your not sitting there for minutes watching better players. Even if you die your right back in and constantly playing.

DoomGyver

TURNCLOAK said:
My plan is to not get killed as much as possible.
Cold Blooded Pro + Ninja Pro (dead silence) + rifle of your choice.

Hopefully it hides me from all of these damn killstreaks.

RubxQub

BattleMonkey said:
Except for players with any sense of FPS play are gonna jump into COD and be able to handle themselves. Again it's all about accessibility, there will always be ass clowns who can't play a game for the life of them, but you will also have those who will jump into the game quick and be kicking some ass early on.

As I said, it's not about really being number one or top of the score board, but the feeling a player gets since the game is so liberal on rewards. Your first kill and shits flying all around the screen, your quickly leveling up getting cool guitar riffs playing, your completing early challenges, it makes a person feel good. IW did an amazing thing with COD4's set up in making something that quickly addicts a person. Its all about accessibility, not really player skill because players in COD jump in and they feel rewarded and want to keep playing unlike other games where they get nothing and just see their lousy score and walk away.
I agree, but the playstyle for CoD4 is much different than your standard FPS (I think Halo). In Halo you can run up on someone and gun them down because you have shields and don't die very quickly. In CoD4, if you just charge up on someone you're going to get wasted every single time.

You need to be much more aware of your surroundings in CoD and the number of angles that you could be getting hit from is overwhelming until you learn all of the maps. The killcam helps a ton in this regard, as it helps you learn where the usual spots are, but in general I can only imagine how annoying it'd be coming from a game like Halo and then trying to strut your stuff in this game.

I know when I made the switch from Halo to CoD4 it took me a day or two of multiplayer to get used to sticking to walls and moving much slower through the battlefield.

ACE 1991

BattleMonkey said:

The other big thing is that death is a minor thing in COD, you are instantly back into the action so your not stuck waiting for timer to respawn, your not waiting for round to end, your not sitting there for minutes watching better players. Even if you die your right back in and constantly playing.

Initially. As you level and eventually enter the more competitive portion of the game with specific rulesets and such, the game becomes almost solely about teamwork and skill, like any other multiplayer FPS.

winnarps

I think it's assumed you're controlling a character that has extensive military training and knowledge.

And generally, modern weaponry is designed with much less recoil than stuff you'd find from WWII.

RavenFox

Banned
Not sure if this was answered so excuse me if it was. Does COD1 that's packed in the prestige E have an online MP function? Yes I have owned it for PC but will the consoles also have online.

ACE 1991 said:
Initially. As you level and eventually enter the more competitive portion of the game with specific rulesets and such, the game becomes almost solely about teamwork and skill, like any other multiplayer FPS.

Yes, but by the time a player gets higher up his skills should also have progressed as well. Instead of being off putting at first like many games, the players ease into COD much better than other games.

winnarps said:
And generally, modern weaponry is designed with much less recoil than stuff you'd find from WWII.

Modern guns do not work miracles.

Sushen

chapel said:
Yes, totally.

The sad thing is though, a lot of people hate jumping into games like this because there are so many good players that seem to dominate. So it is hard for a n00b to jump in lets say 6 months after release and feel like he has a chance to really compete. I know that they do, its just when you are being dominated constantly, most people fold under pressure.

I don't think there is much you can do about that outside of having a new player playlist, but with no ranking in place like Halo, not sure how it would work out. Maybe trueskill would actually work?
Depends, actually. I play Headquarters mode alot because it's fun. At the same time, I was thinking that it would be more fun if they don't keep track of K/D ratio in that mode. There are times where I'm going to die by jumping in to keep headquarter a few more seconds so that we can win the match, and there is another thought of how should I sacrifice by me being selfish.

You can get satisfaction by dominating matches, but winning the match is surely another way to get satisfaction. I've played many HQ matches where winning team had rather horrible K/D ratio but they beat the other team like 250 to 20.

Sushen said:
Depends, actually. I play Headquarters mode alot because it's fun. At the same time, I was thinking that it would be more fun if they don't keep track of K/D ratio in that mode. There are times where I'm going to die by jumping in to keep headquarter a few more seconds so that we can win the match, and there is another thought of how should I sacrifice by me being selfish.

You can get satisfaction by dominating matches, but winning the match is surely another way to get satisfaction. I've played many HQ matches where winning team had rather horrible K/D ratio but they beat the other team like 250 to 20.

That's often due to K/D boosting in Headquarters. You often see people who want to raise their K/D ratio go into Headquarters and camp the route to the HQ. They'll deliberately never try to capture it so that the other team can keep spawning into their traps. Ugh.

cameltoe

Full Recovery said:
Wrong, if people want to cheat by spotting they'll just go back to how they were doing it before party chat was available. The only way to stop this is for IW to remove the spectators ability to watch the other team.

since when can you watch the other team in S&D when dead? Or HQ?

Do people care about that stuff? Only thing that impresses me is wether they have gold weapons (other than eagle and shotgun) and the amount of kills you have at the end of the match :lol if you check some of the top stats its just beyond mental and not worth even careing about.

cameltoe said:
since when can you watch the other team in S&D when dead? Or HQ?

Well to be fair you can go to a team mate, switch to 3rd person and call out if you spot a guy or even in 1st person view. Other than that its telling your team where you just died so they have a rough idea where he is.

I cant think of a better way to have it though.. fade to black with the score board would be boring as fuck when its an SND stand off with two snipers or something... hmm I guess just the camera panned out looking at your body is about it.

chapel

Banned
Sushen said:

Oh I totally agree. I tend to be negative in k/d ratio in HQ. When it comes to objective type games I work for the objectives more than kills. Though with good kill coordination and a few objective runners, you can dominate almost any time. Hopefully they made spawns better and less a factor of getting the first few and winning because you keep spawning near it.

RubxQub said:
I agree, but the playstyle for CoD4 is much different than your standard FPS (I think Halo). In Halo you can run up on someone and gun them down because you have shields and don't die very quickly
Ah, don't forget to fulfill the Halo creed: Jump up and down a lot and talk shit to everyone you kill. :lol

otakuderek

My order was processed and shipped yesterday from the Ebay person mentioned earlier in the thread. Scheduled to be at my house this afternoon :D

I got a hold of the PS3 version yesterday and played it all night. No screen tearing problems nor graphical issues. Runs flawlessly so far. The only downfall is that I cannot play it again until I leave work today :D

cameltoe

Billy Mitchell said:
I got a hold of the PS3 version yesterday and played it all night. No screen tearing problems nor graphical issues. Runs flawlessly so far. The only downfall is that I cannot play it again until I leave work today :D

you playing veteran or bitch?

protonion

Played 2 hours the ps3 version.

-1.01 update (15 mb)
-I did not see any trophies, why is that?
-Great framerate.Never drops.Though graphics aren't that hot...Sound is amazing.
-One of the first missions is VERY VERY disturbing.I had to pause for a couple of minutes before continuing.
-I played only one mp team deathmatch.About 400 people are online.Great fun as expected.Time to put cod4 to the closet!

It's early but I'd say MP goty and SP runner up!(U2 has nothing to fear sp wise).

Sushen

divisionbyzorro said:
That's often due to K/D boosting in Headquarters. You often see people who want to raise their K/D ratio go into Headquarters and camp the route to the HQ. They'll deliberately never try to capture it so that the other team can keep spawning into their traps. Ugh.
Even more reason to disable K/D ratio counting in this mode. IW, are you listening?

RavenFox

Banned
protonion said:

-1.01 update (15 mb)
-Great framerate.Never drops.Though graphics aren't that hot...Sound is amazing.
-One of the first missions is VERY VERY disturbing.I had to pause for a couple of minutes before continuing.
-I played only one mp team deathmatch.About 400 people are online.Great fun as expected.Time to put cod4 to the closet!

It's early but I'd say MP goty and SP runner up!(U2 has nothing to fear sp wise).
Thanks for this
edit: removed

Az

protonion said:

-1.01 update (15 mb)

Can you go into more details on what you don't like about the graphics? I know it's not even close to UC2, but what do you dislike mostly.

Edit: And what did the update change?

cameltoe said:
you playing veteran or bitch?

I am not good enough to play Veteran. I play these games more for the multiplayer, so I keep the difficulty to normal just to experience the single player. I don't find pleasure in slowly grinding through story-mode... takes away time from multi.

So short answer: bitch

cameltoe

protonion said:

-1.01 update (15 mb)

for the last time. CAN AIM ASSIST BE DISABLED IN MP???

RavenFox

Banned
TheAzRim said:
Can you go into more details on what you don't like about the graphics? I know it's not even close to UC2, but what do you dislike mostly.
I think it's just a general comment compared to what we play on both systems these days. Remember this is a stimpack version of the Q3 engine.

Again. People who currently have this game. Do the leaderboards include stats for each playlist? An answer would make many people here very happy. thanks

protonion said:

-1.01 update (15 mb)

not sure why you didn't see any trophies. i played for about 4 hrs last night and have a nice amount of them.

bomb_jack

protonion said:

-1.01 update (15 mb)

No trophies? What the fuck.

protonion

TheAzRim said:

Edit: And what did the update change?

Maybe it's playing uc2 that makes me feel that way.They are good but not a big step from cod4.Of course 60 fps come with a price...

About the update I have no idea.

RavenFox said:
Guess I was wrong. Wonder why he doesn't see his trophies.

hmm, maybe the update removed them? I don't remember updating the game when I put the disc in. I will give it a tray later on and see if the update removes my trophies as well.

Sushen

tHoMNZ said:
Its not even about realism, it's about difficulty and forcing you to learn the skills to be good. The easier it gets, the less time the game lives. Games are becoming throw away crap. I guess thats what that cunt who runs Activision wants though,
You can call them by whatever name of your choice, but they'll laugh all the way to the bank counting money. Everage players don't want much challenges; they just want to have short burst of fun every nowadays.

Boogat

protonion said:
Maybe it's playing uc2 that makes me feel that way.They are good but not a big step from cod4.Of course 60 fps come with a price...

About the update I have no idea.

Yeah, I think anyone on the PS3 who goes from Uncharted 2 straight to MW2, will have the same feelings. The graphics are good, but not Uncharted 2 good.

RavenFox

Banned
Billy Mitchell said:
hmm, maybe the update removed them? I don't remember updating the game when I put the disc in. I will give it a tray later on and see if the update removes my trophies as well.
Well the game isn't officially out yet so who knows. Guess they figured it would be unfair if true.

Chaplain

Did anyone get the Hardened Edition yet? I want to know how Call of Duty 1 is. How does it look? Does it have multiplayer?

Thanks.

cameltoe

RubxQub said:

sure, they can go 0-30 and be on a winning HQ team and still walk away with 200 points. They rank up, albeit slowly.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Tracking Number: 1Z9298761353790699 Status: Delivered
UPS has delivered the shipment.

Delivered Delivered On: 11/05/2009 10:22 A.M. Location: FRT DOOR Delivered To: MIDDLETOWN, NJ, US Shipped/Billed On: 11/04/2009 Type: Package Service: NEXT DAY AIR SAVER

w000t!!!!! now I have to wait until 430 to play stupid class

hit me on xbl Saloo Kaloo

Qwerty710710 said:
Tracking Number: 1Z9298761353790699 Status: Delivered
UPS has delivered the shipment.

Delivered Delivered On: 11/05/2009 10:22 A.M. Location: FRT DOOR Delivered To: MIDDLETOWN, NJ, US Shipped/Billed On: 11/04/2009 Type: Package Service: NEXT DAY AIR SAVER

w000t!!!!! now I have to wait until 430 to play stupid class

hit me on xbl Saloo Kaloo
NICE! where did you order from?

Top Bottom