• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone found this in the Portland, OR area? PM?

Argyle

Neverender said:
Use your phone or something? Yeah, just call up all the people who are playing a different game... I'm usually in a party with heaps of people who aren't even playing the game I am, it's annoying that that's not going to be possible in MW2. Even when I am in game chat nobody is fucking talking about team-work anyway.

If you're all playing different games, I see even less reason for you to be in party chat. If you want to talk to your friends, get on Vent or something similar. I haven't seen a single person who wants party chat in all modes give a justification other than "but I like party chat"...which is fine, it's a nice feature, but in certain game modes you shouldn't feel entitled to it. If you insist on party chat - then play in playlists that don't require you to be in game chat - it's really about being considerate to the players that are in the game with you.

I'd expect lots of other games to follow suit, the only reason you haven't seen this happen more is because party chat is relatively new and I think developers have been assessing how it changes VOIP in their games.

RBH

Toys R Us ad for 11/8-11/14:

Modern Warfare 2 (for Rewards R Us members only)
$20 Gift Card Tuesday 10AM - 2PM
or $30 Gift Card if you buy MW2 and one of the listed games below
or $45 Gift Card if you buy MW2 and two of the listed games below

$10 Gift Card when you buy one or $25 Gift Card when you buy two of these PS3 or 360 games,
Ratchet & Clank - $59.99
Modern Warfare 2 - $59.99
Dragon Age - $59.99
Uncharted 2 - $59.99
Tekken 6 - $59.99
Batman AA - $59.99
Band Hero - $59.99
WWE Smackdown vs RAW - $59.99
GTA Episodes - $39.99
Brutal Legend - $59.99
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - $59.99
Lego Rock Band - $49.99

$10 off these PS3, 360 & Wii EA games
NBA Live 10
Fight Night 4
Grand Slam Tennis
FIFA 10
Tiger Woods 10
Madden 10

You can sign up to be a Reward R Us member for free online and then print out a temporary membership card to bring to the store to use on MW2:

http://rewardsrus.toysrus.com/

Argyle said:
If you're all playing different games, I see even less reason for you to be in party chat. If you want to talk to your friends, get on Vent or something similar. I haven't seen a single person who wants party chat in all modes give a justification other than "but I like party chat"...which is fine, it's a nice feature, but in certain game modes you shouldn't feel entitled to it. If you insist on party chat - then play in playlists that don't require you to be in game chat - it's really about being considerate to the players that are in the game with you.

I'd expect lots of other games to follow suit, the only reason you haven't seen this happen more is because party chat is relatively new and I think developers have been assessing how it changes VOIP in their games.

I am fucking entitled to it, it's a major feature of Xbox Live that I happen to be paying for. I like to be able to talk to my friends and I shouldn't have to use Vent (considering I'm obviously playing on Xbox and not PC) to do that. Not once have I been in game chat where anything that would have affected the outcome of the game was being discussed. All I get is fucking 12 year olds calling each other niggers and fags, apologies if I want to avoid that and talk to people worth talking to. If I'm going into a playlist alone while talking to various people in party chat, and am forced to leave, I'm just going to take my headset out anyway.

Rickard

Argyle said:

I like playing team deathmatch while talking to people who are playing borderlands.

I don't like that it's being taken away from me.

Fuck vent.

Argyle said:

You don't even sound like you USE party chat. If you did, there's NO WAY you could be thinking like this. The whole POINT of party chat IS cross game chatting with up to 7 friends. It's perfect for catching up with people and not interrupting the game chat all while being able to play a game together, or completely different games. This is a feature the XBL community was begging for, for a LONG ass time. For it to be basically out of what looks to be one of the biggest games of all time is a big deal.

As for the other bold point, it looks like there are only 3 lists that let you be in party chat. 2 lists which aren't even in the top 5 most popular game modes in COD4, and one which is brand new.

NG28

I understand why they took away party chat for playlists that use rounds like S&D, but it is unnecessary to do that for respawn playlists like TDM.

Also it's extra-annoying because I really hate playing anything non-hardcore, and it seems there's no HC playlist that allows party chat.

As far as the party chat thing, there are no ranked matches in CoD. It's not like Halo where you have ranked and social playlists. Also, I only use party chat when my friends and I are playing the same game. If my friends and I are playing different games we generally respect the fact having a conversation is distracting as fuck and annoying when we are playing completely different games.

GillianSeed79 said:
As far as the party chat thing, there are no ranked matches in CoD. It's not like Halo where you have ranked and social playlists. Also, I only use party chat when my friends and I are playing the same game. If my friends and I are playing different games we generally respect the fact having a conversation is distracting as fuck and annoying when we are playing completely different games.

On the other hand, my group of friends don't give a crap what we're doing. We generally say anything that's on our minds, and a conversation will break out in the middle of the most heated battle, whether on the same game or not. Who wants to hear that in the game channel?

PS, I think you meant there are NO UNRANKED playlists in CoD. Everything is ranked.

Tzeentch

Neverender said:
They look cheap as fuck, mang
What do you expect? It's pretty much a reshelled low-light CCD like you see on many video cameras. It's own manual boasts you can see only 50 feet with it, which makes even ancient Gen I goggles look supertech (and five batteries to power it too, egads).

It's a gimmick. At least you can DO something with it, unlike the Halo cat helmet.

kuYuri

I can't believe people are still complaining about no party chat. I'm not happy about it either, but it's not the end of the world.

How did you ever play online games before Fall 2008? Just mute people ffs.

Tzeentch said:
What do you expect? It's pretty much a reshelled low-light CCD like you see on many video cameras. It's own manual boasts you can see only 50 feet with it, which makes even ancient Gen I goggles look supertech (and five batteries to power it too, egads).

It's a gimmick. At least you can DO something with it, unlike the Halo cat helmet.

Meh, to me the cat helmet was a worthy collector's item (I got it for free, but still) , but this is more of a useless toy.

Tzeentch

Neverender said:
Meh, to me the cat helmet was a worthy collector's item (I got it for free, but still) , but this is more of a useless toy.
I'm still hoping someone gets arrested for peeping wearing these things though. :D

Strider2K99 said:
How did you ever play online games before Fall 2008? Just mute people ffs.

This isn't the problem, its the fact that the randoms are able to listen in on the conversation between myself and family/friends.

What the game should do, is somehow check to see if people within your party is playing the game with you and then try to disable party chat.

It's a massively used feature taken away for such a small reason.

Anyway, I'm going to a midnight launch on Monday night and got the Tuesday off! I have to finish SP before playing MP though. It's going to be a long night!

Victrix

*beard*
MarkMclovin said:
This isn't the problem, its the fact that the randoms are able to listen in on the conversation between myself and family/friends.

What the game should do, is somehow check to see if people within your party is playing the game with you and then try to disable party chat.

It's a massively used feature taken away for such a small reason.

Anyway, I'm going to a midnight launch on Monday night and got the Tuesday off! I have to finish SP before playing MP though. It's going to be a long night!

Set voice to friends only

And yes, I agree, it's horribly stupid that they're disabling it. Party chat is a wonderful feature, disabling it so a few nerds won't get up in arms about oh god game advantage is just annoying.

sonicmj1

XAL said:
Party Chat is banned in ALL playlists except:
* Free-for-all
* 3rd Person Teams
* Mercenary Team Deathmatch

Really? That's pretty foolish.

There are circumstances where banning Party Chat makes sense, but they're few and far between. Removing basic console features and making the game experience worse for people who want to play while talking to their friends isn't something you should do lightly.

sonicmj1 said:

There are circumstances where banning Party Chat makes sense, but they're few and far between. Removing basic console features and making the game experience worse for people who want to play while talking to their friends isn't something you should do lightly.

I think it really improves the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sonicmj1 said:

Hey man, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.

Drop that sense of entitlement!!!

Everything the Infinity Ward does is to improve the experience for the average customer.

Ok, I'm sorry. I'll stop trolling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's really hard to stick by IW when they're constantly fucking over... well, everyone.

it's so out of the blue, too. they used to be the golden child.

DukeSucks

Curious question to those that have it early since I don't have any mom and pops around me. Do these shops just charge the $60, or do they jack it up when they break street date?

chapel

Banned
2mgqzw3.png

Been watching this stream too much. I am so wanting to play, so wanting to play it. I have tried every story around here. We don't have any small M&P stores so its pretty hard. Unless I can find a 7/11 that is going to have it, which most around here aren't big on carrying games.

Argyle

Net_Wrecker said:
You don't even sound like you USE party chat. If you did, there's NO WAY you could be thinking like this. The whole POINT of party chat IS cross game chatting with up to 7 friends. It's perfect for catching up with people and not interrupting the game chat all while being able to play a game together, or completely different games. This is a feature the XBL community was begging for, for a LONG ass time. For it to be basically out of what looks to be one of the biggest games of all time is a big deal.

As for the other bold point, it looks like there are only 3 lists that let you be in party chat. 2 lists which aren't even in the top 5 most popular game modes in COD4, and one which is brand new.
You are right, I don't use party chat. So play Mercenary Team Deathmatch which is made pretty much for people who are in Party Chat since you know everyone on your team are going to be randoms and quit your complaining :)

I have an open mind though, I still can't think of a good reason for them to return to the status quo, probably because I don't use the feature. I don't consider the people who are saying "BUT I AM PAYING FOR XBL GOLD" because the other players who are fucked over by people in Party chat (through direct cheating, or to a lesser extent silent teammates) are paying Gold members too. So let's think about this - in games where we want to encourage some semblance of teamwork, or modes where the game needs to control in game communications (single respawn, for example) what do you think developers should do? I don't think it would work if they left you in Party Chat but suddenly muted you to your friends if you died...

In the end I think the best outcome you could hope for is IW adding more dupe playlists that are the same as the regular ones, with party chat enabled, for modes where it might make more sense. I don't think you will need stupid online petitions for that...if they notice that the majority of their players are in Mercenary Team Deathmatch and the other modes where Party Chat is enabled, they will probably take care of you.

chapel

Banned
I bit the bullet. I ordered from the one guy on ebay. Hopefully I can get it friday sometime. I would have rather had it yesterday or today because I don't have work. But who needs sleep before work? Not me.

Argyle said:
You are right, I don't use party chat. So play Mercenary Team Deathmatch, a completely superfluous playlist (anyone know what else is different between that and regular TDM? If I had to guess from the name maybe friendly fire is on?) that is made pretty much for people who are in Party Chat and quit your complaining :)
The only difference is that parties are not all in the same team.

Argyle

buy teh haloz said:
The only difference is that parties are not all in the same team.
Thanks, I looked it up and edited as you were posting. Even more so, I don't feel that there's much reason to complain, players who want party chat can just stay out of the team oriented modes.

F#A#Oo

Banned
360 users I dont feel your pain...

Party chat was one of the worst things to happen to online play...made XBL chat a silent place for those who have no friends...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
djblackice said:
Further MP impressions (so far):

Wow. PS3 version ran smooth as hell (much different from yesterday). Action is 100 x as intense. I thought they were really going to butcher it with all the changes, but it plays amazing. Graphics did take a small dip (but expected for MP).

They even show the game winning kill at the end of the match. That was a nice touch.

Cool guess I'll pre-order the ps3 version today.

Brakara said:
But you still talk with your friends instead of your team mates?
What are you talking about? All I want to do is have the ability to talk to my friends without being able to hear anybody else. This ban on party chat sucks.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Okay, let me get this straight. If you're in a party chat and you enter, say, Team DM and you get the pop-up telling you to leave the Party Chat and you don't, they'll boot you from the lobby?

And is there an in-game mute?

Anyways, worse comes to worse? I'll just set my Xbox LIVE communications to Friends Only, so go fuck yourself, IW. :D

Brakara

Dax01 said:
What are you talking about? All I want to do is have the ability to talk to my friends without being able to hear anybody else.

Again, why would you talk with your friends instead of the people you are playing with?

Party chat and people like you are why public team based games have become so much worse.

TimeLike

Domino Theory said:
Okay, let me get this straight. If you're in a party chat and you enter, say, Team DM and you get the pop-up telling you to leave the Party Chat and you don't, they'll boot you from the lobby?

And is there an in-game mute?

Anyways, worse comes to worse? I'll just set my Xbox LIVE communications to Friends Only, so go fuck yourself, IW. :D

You can not enter the lobby at all if you are in party chat. A standard Xbox error window pops up telling you to either switch to the game channel or fuck off. It's bullshit and I think a lot of people are going to be let down by this whole game. Especially if you've been playing the hell out of previous Cods because this is exactly the same thing with a bunch of flashy shit all over the screen added.

Top Bottom