• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Do the stats translate to guns always being better since the stats are higher? I never have problems myself with the MP5k in getting kills against other SMG's. Im speaking of course of guns in the same category, So SMGs overall.

I like the "feel" of the MP5K if that means anything. Wonder if i tryed a statistically better gun would i become even better. I havent tryed the other guns really.

J-Rzez

Lionheart1827 said:
I think the best setup is Harrier, chopper gunner, then nuke. If the stars align, your perks will seamlessly go into each other. If the enemy is dumb, youll easily get 14 kills with the chopper, just find a good hiding spot and go prone.

This is my set up too. Called in a bunch of nukes tonight. Really pisses people off when you're rattling their cage in the lobby. Got 2 back to back too. The shit talking was glorious, then everyone in their bailed.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
God I am so bad at Ground War. I rock FFAs but put me into anything team based I'll be fine objective-wise, but I never end up positive. Any suggestions?

I just beat the single-player and it was fucking awful. That's all I really wanted to say. The first game was great, this game is the exact opposite.

cr_blah_blah said:
I just beat the single-player and it was fucking awful. That's all I really wanted to say. The first game was great, this game is the exact opposite.

It's not that different to CoD4... At least not different enough for one to be great and the other to be fucking awful.

Culinary said:
Anybody level up all hyped up to get a certain gun, only to be disappointed with it?

I wanted the M16A4 so bad because of the stats but it just doesn't feel right. I tend to do a lot better with my FAMAS, even though the stats are so much worse.

Was my fav rifle in #1 and is now may fav in #2. Took a while but it just clicked again. Put the silencer on it and your lethal.

Loxley

Judderman said:
God I am so bad at Ground War. I rock FFAs but put me into anything team based I'll be fine objective-wise, but I never end up positive. Any suggestions?

I'm not quite sure exactly what advice to give, if your problem can be simply defined as "I'm dying a lot", but I'll give it a try :D

Generally when I play TDM or Domination (the two modes I primarily play) my number one rule is "Stay the fuck away from my team". I try to stay by my lonesome, using a silenced weapon (currently it's the TAR-21 or the UMP45 depending on the map; two very very solid choices if you want a silenced weapon) and I usually end up in the top two, for overall score or kills, respectively. Unless I'm playing with people I know, or fellow GAFers, that's the philosophy I've followed since CoD2. But to be completely honest, at the moment I refuse to use a non-silenced weapon since there are quite a few ways now that the other team can figure out where you are. Using a silencer negates at least one of those methods.

If your team is all in one general area, don't go anywhere near them (obviously this is easier to do on the bigger maps, and can be troublesome on maps like Highrise or Skidrow), because chances are the other team knows that as well.

Basically I'd just say play with common sense :) I'm constantly checking the minimap, listening for enemy gunfire/footsteps, check your corners, and always be sure to minimize the number of directions from which you can be shot (hug walls, etc). Basically all the rules that apply to FFA. Just stay away from your team if it's a PUG, in my experience I tend to get killed more often when I trudge behind one of my teammates who doesn't use common sense while maneuvering through a map.

Hell, if you need to, just make an easy-mode class. Something like;

Any Assault Rifle w/ Heartbeat Sensor & Grenade Launcher (or silencer)
Thumper

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Scrambler Pro

Deathstreak: Martyrdom

I've used that when my team is getting completely annihilated, it's pretty fun and can quickly turn a rage-inducing game into a stress-relieving one ;)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Judderman said:

Probably because in FFA you shoot anything that moves and you're probably just a split second slower at identifying friend from foe in team based modes. Try capture the flag. Other than S&D(which is extremely slow paced) its by far the most orderly team based mode in the game. They always start on their side you always start on yours. So you know for the most part which way they'll be coming. Just don't go crazy trying to capture the flag at first.

Fuck. I'm just not feeling MW2 like I did CoD4. It's kind of disappointing. All the maps are so wide open, I'm used to sneaking up on people, now people just lock on spawn points or wherever people walk by. This game is a lot less run and gun friendly than CoD4.

J-Rzez said:
This is my set up too. Called in a bunch of nukes tonight. Really pisses people off when you're rattling their cage in the lobby. Got 2 back to back too. The shit talking was glorious, then everyone in their bailed.

Two things prevent this with my group. Stingers for the choppers/harriers and friends only chat for the shit talking. After 30 hours of playing... still haven't seen a single nuke. You guys throwing them must be getting super lucky and playing with total noobs.

Finally got my first Nuke tonight! Mercenary Team Deathmatch @ Wasteland. I just had my P90/Silencer + Marathon + Cold Blooded + Ninja running around until I got the Harrier. It was destruction from then on. Chopper Gunner on Wasteland = no chance. Two people quit the game as soon as I hit it. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Appropriately enough, that game closed the gap to my first prestige. But the AK47 is all kinds of awesome and I don't want to say goodbye. Oh well...

Jonsoncao

Banned
any suggestions for the strategy on sub base?

I keep sucking at this map, K/D approx 1, not like other map I could easily get a >6 K/D in TDM

Mileena

Banned
DarknessTear said:
Fuck. I'm just not feeling MW2 like I did CoD4. It's kind of disappointing. All the maps are so wide open, I'm used to sneaking up on people, now people just lock on spawn points or wherever people walk by. This game is a lot less run and gun friendly than CoD4.
Yea I used to use P90 exclusively in CoD4 but I can't in MW2. The maps are way too big and wide open that I just get picked off by rifles all the time. The maps suck but I'm getting better at tolerating them now.

Tokubetsu

Fucking addicted to this game. Side note, if anyone wanted the "Hello... It's Personal" title, I got it by hurting an enemy and then throwing a knife at him while he was in last stand :lol

CartridgeBlower said:
Haven't seen a single nuke yet, either. People shoot down choppers and other killstreaks in most of the games I've played...

I really don't think I'll ever see one since myself and my friends fight over who is going to shoot down choppers/harriers first. Most time, they never get a single shot off. I actually pride myself it how fast I can shoot it down. If a chopper gets a single kill, I'm disappointed in my Stinger skills.

Tokubetsu

OldJadedGamer said:
I really don't think I'll ever see one since myself and my friends fight over who is going to shoot down choppers/harriers first. Most time, they never get a single shot off. I actually pride myself it how fast I can shoot it down. If a chopper gets a single kill, I'm disappointed in my Stinger skills.

You guys wouldnt have liked playing with me and matty and some other friends tonight. At one part, dom favela, I was fighting with a friend over who would launch their pavelow/chopper gunner first. When the game ended, my friends pavelow was up and I was doing the chopper gunner. Went like 46 - 8 I think. :lol :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jonsoncao said:
any suggestions for the strategy on sub base?

I keep sucking at this map, K/D approx 1, not like other map I could easily get a >6 K/D in TDM

I stick to the rooftops of the main building.

Tokubetsu said:
You guys wouldnt have liked playing with me and matty and some other friends tonight. At one part, dom favela, I was fighting with a friend over who would launch their pavelow/chopper gunner first. When the game ended, my friends pavelow was up and I was doing the chopper gunner. Went like 46 - 8 I think. :lol :lol

We always have at least 2 guys with Stingers equipped so thats 4 rockets at any given time. These choppers go down so fast. The Pave lows can be annoying because of the flares it shoots out but between two guys, you're still lucky to get one... max two kills off before it comes out of the air.

When I'm in hardcore with scavenger pro I pick up more rockets and if I can't, I just throw a grenade at my feet or have a teammate kill me so I can reload with more rockets.

Finally got my shit together in multiplayer. Probably because I stopped sprinting everywhere with Marathon Pro and actually took my time going places.

Played nothing but Team Deathmatch Express. Think my worst game was 9-9 on Wasteland, which I hate, so I'm calling that a wash. Even had a couple 30 kill games.

Started out with 3 deaths more than kills when I started, ended with 170 more kills than deaths. Hopefully I can keep this going tomorrow.

Tokubetsu

OldJadedGamer said:
MW2 on Veteran = COD4 on Hardened.

Definitely gonna agree. There are a few sections that just complete bullshit (Shower section of Gulag, Favela mid section) but overall, it's the easiest Veteran in a CoD game so far.

Brakara

OldJadedGamer said:
Two things prevent this with my group. Stingers for the choppers/harriers and friends only chat for the shit talking. After 30 hours of playing... still haven't seen a single nuke. You guys throwing them must be getting super lucky and playing with total noobs.

I hadn't seen any nukes either until I got thrown into a Ground War game where a guy got it after two minutes or so! Then the next match he got it again after just a couple of minutes of play. I promptly backed out and set him to avoid. :)

Tokubetsu said:
Definitely gonna agree. There are a few sections that just complete bullshit (Shower section of Gulag, Favela mid section) but overall, it's the easiest Veteran in a CoD game so far.

I disagree about the Hardened part. What made MW2 enjoyable was the utter lack of infinite respawning enemies. I hated that shit in MW1. And I had no problems with Gulag and Favela. For me, there were three trouble spots:

1. Towards the end of the oil rig level, where you had to shoot through the smoke. What made it hard was all the enemies suddenly flanking you (and one shot up close killed you).

2. When the timer kicked in at the sub base. The predator missiles helped, but there was still a shitton of enemies here and you had always had to be on the move.

3. When you run to the extraction point from Makarov's house. Guys shooting you from behind, mortar fire, and the RPG guys at the end. It was hell.

But nothing here was as bad as, say, the TV station in MW1, or the end of the sniper mission. Now, that was bullshit.

Tokubetsu

Brakara said:
I hadn't seen any nukes either until I got thrown into a Ground War game where a guy got it after two minutes or so! Then the next match he got it again after just a couple of minutes of play. I promptly backed out and set him to avoid. :)

I disagree about the Hardened part. What made MW2 enjoyable was the utter lack of infinite respawning enemies. I hated that shit in MW1. And I had no problems with Gulag and Favela. For me, there were three trouble spots:

1. Towards the end of the oil rig level, where you had to shoot through the smoke. What made it hard was all the enemies suddenly flanking you (and one shot up close killed you).

2. When the timer kicked in at the sub base. The predator missiles helped, but there was still a shitton of enemies here and you had always had to be on the move.

3. When you run to the extraction point from Makarov's house. Guys shooting you from behind, mortar fire, and the RPG guys at the end. It was hell.

But nothing here was as bad as, say, the TV station in MW1, or the end of the sniper mission. Now, that was bullshit.

Fair enough. I cheated the sniper level end bit by running to and hiding in one of the spawn closets and I might have been the only one on earth who didn't have a problem with the tv station.

DarknessTear said:

I feel the same way. I don't think this game will last anywhere near as long as CoD4 did because of these horrid maps. I had my worst night ever tonight. In every game the spawns were ridiculously close to enemy fire. I've never been one to complain about the spawns, but the wide open nature of the maps mixed with the bad spawns made for a sucky night. Camping is also SO prevalent on pretty much every map. It's getting worse now as people start to feel out the game a little more, and find new spots to just sit in.

I too have yet to see a single nuke in about 25-27 hours of mostly team deathmatch. I'm extremely quick to look for any type of air support, and take the Stinger out to deal with it. I don't know what type of idiots some of you are playing, but just 1 guy with a Stinger can take out almost all of the air support, and 2 people can deal with the AC130, or the Chopper Gunner.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I eat campers for lunch and move around these maps with ease. Can't say I've had more than 1 or 2 bad respawns in the 41 hours I've put into the MP either.

Brian Fellows said:
I eat campers for lunch and move around these maps with ease. Can't say I've had more than 1 or 2 bad respawns in the 41 hours I've put into the MP either.

Before last night, I've NEVER thought to myself, "OK, these spawns are annoying," but my GOD. Spawning in Chopper Gunner fire, spawning in someone's line of sight, spawning ON TOP OF A CLAYMORE, spawning into the same Harrier strike twice, etc. etc. it was pretty absurd how bad they were.

And yes, it's usually easy to deal with one or two campers, but when whole clans are doing it, it becomes annoying. These maps are built for campers. Those same hundreds of flanking routes, and lines of sight are exactly what lead people to MORE camping. Most players are scared to run and gun now, and I can't even count the number of killcams where people just camp one hallway, or one obscure alley to get kills.

_Alkaline_ said:
Just played a game where every single player on the enemy team were only using noob tubes. :/

Does blast shield actually do anything against that? I never tried it, but I hope it does...Like could your dude take a hit from one and survive?

Net_Wrecker said:
Before last night, I've NEVER thought to myself, "OK, these spawns are annoying," but my GOD. Spawning in Chopper Gunner fire, spawning in someone's line of sight, spawning ON TOP OF A CLAYMORE, spawning into the same Harrier strike twice, etc. etc. it was pretty absurd how bad they were.

Make a class with Cold Blooded and the Stinger launcher. That solves the problem really quick. You don't show up to aircraft and it comes down like rain.

And I started the path to my Nuke by running and gunning with my P90. You can run and gun in this game, especially with Ninja. I love wreaking havoc on Derail because everyone camps on that map. I run around the whole map with Silenced P90 + Marathon + Cold Blooded + Ninja. No one ever sees me. It's run and gun murder.

Brakara

_Alkaline_ said:
Just played a game where every single player on the enemy team were only using noob tubes. :/

So use a counter class then. It's like playing RPS and complaining about the other guy choosing Rock over your Scissor all the time.

Nelo Ice

Banned
well ive just created an extremely annoying class

riot shield+akimbo model 1887s
seight of hand
hardline
commando

i joined a game of dom on ground war and i just went 11-0 right before the game ended using this class :lol

.nimrod

Nelo Ice said:

seight of hand
hardline
commando

i joined a game of dom on ground war and i just went 11-0 right before the game ended using this class :lol

switch hardline for stopping power and it's even more deadly

Nelo Ice said:

seight of hand
hardline
commando

Does the Riot Shield slow you down when it's on your back?

Is there some art to surviving a semtex stick on a riot shield?

Its hilarious but I die EVERYTIME because the guy just hauls ass at me. Tried turning around and sprinting but that just makes the explosion death more hilarious. Goddamn teams of riot shields fucking up my K/D gah.

Nelo Ice

Banned
buy teh haloz said:
Does the Riot Shield slow you down when it's on your back?

yeah pretty sure it does
also once again it cant be stated enough how overpowered the model 1887s are im killing guys nearly midrange instantly and when 2 enemies are together i end up getting a double kill :lol

Nelo Ice said:
yeah pretty sure it does
also once again it cant be stated enough how overpowered the model 1887s are im killing guys nearly midrange instantly and when 2 enemies are together i end up getting a double kill :lol
Yeah, I love Akimbo'd 1887s, but I completely forgot that you can equip a Riot Shield and it would protect your back.

TUSR

Banned
4nxj3ulK.jpeg

Anyone on PS3 play against me?

Guys, I played COD4 MP once at my buddys place and loved it. He was obsessed by it and he liked COD:WaW as well not as much as COD4 but he played both. Same buddy bought MW2 and he didn't like it all. Now he is asking me to buy COD4 so we can play together (PC) while I was all about getting the latest MW2 and rocking that online.

So what do you think MW or MW2 online only? What do you prefer and why?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
J-Rzez said:
Damn, why do people bang out of lobbies for any reason other than maybe getting griefed or a bad connection?

Sounds to me like a congratulations was in order. Two consecutive nukes is impressive! I like the idea of rewarding such a huge streak with a crazy finish. Better luck next time with the fellow players ;)

The whole multiplayer looks like a hoot. Should be picking this up later today.

My single favorite moment in this game so far? I see some dude coming up on me with a riot shield equipped. He's pretty bold, thinking that I won't be able to handle it. So I run up towards him, which appears to just freak him out and he stops moving trying to see what I'm doing. Then I plunk a claymore right in front of him. Hehehe.

Second favorite moment? Being on the other side of the riot shield. I picked one up in the middle of the murder hallway in Skidrow (Bravo flag on Domination). Almost immediately some dude plops down a sentry gun.

+500
+700
+750..1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9.........

I can't see a thing through my busted-ass riot shield, but my XP and awards are going crazy, and I'm laughing my ass off. I understand why people love screwing around with the riot shield, but I doubt I'll ever get into it for real.

And I finally unlocked the M14. Ho...ly...crap... I am in love.

Chittagong

Gold Member
B-Genius said:
Damn, why do people bang out of lobbies for any reason other than maybe getting griefed or a bad connection?

some reasons

1. you ended up with a bottom 20% score in the last game => gang in the lobby is too skilled for you and will drag down your K/D

2. you are put to the same map you hate for the third time => you are going to suck in the map, drag down your team and your K/D

3. you want to edit your classes before game and the timer is too fast

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
skidrow has got to be the worst map in this game for HC TDM,everyone hates wastelands but this one is the worst.
all it takes is 3 guys on one team to lock down the whole map.

almost every time this one comes up you get one guy in the building second floor sniping thru the tiny hold in the wall that locks down the tunnel.
2nd guy can lay down on flatbed beside it and cover the center door from green room with ease.
And third guy covers the right side from behind the cargocontainers behind the fence.
From that point almost no one on that team moves..they just have a few guys float around their side of the map to throw grenades at anyone with shields.
Its bloody boring.
I wish you could change a classes load out midmatch to switch to smoke and thermal but i can't stand dedicating one of 5 slots just cause this map is fucked up.

If they blocked that hole in the wall by the tunnel, and made it so you couldn't sit behind the cargo containers..this map would flow much better. To much camping is just encouraged by the level design in this game.

Top Bottom