• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Finally got my K/D above 1.00, 1.03 to be exact :lol It took me dropping the FAL in favor for a blinged out AUG to get there, though. I went from 9/10 matches to 7 matches in a row where I called in harrier airstrikes.

Currently trying out the M16A4 but I'm not feeling it. I'm thinking of giving the SCAR a second chance now that I'm more comfortable with the maps and the chokepoints/camper-spots. I've noticed that folks are having a great time killing me with the ACR so I'm sorta anxious to unlock that pee shooter. Also, gonna try to unlock the thermal scope on a sniper rifle but I'm not sure which one. Any advice?

Edit: I'd also like to say that this is one of the laggiest games I've ever played online. Not since Gears 1 have I stuck with a game that has such a huge host advantage.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Finally got my K/D above 1.00, 1.03 to be exact :lol It took me dropping the FAL in favor for a blinged out AUG to get there, though. I went from 9/10 matches to 7 matches in a row where I called in harrier airstrikes.

hmm... wonder if I should try that. I've been rolling with a TAR blinged with heartbeat sensor and thermal scope - both vital enhancements. What makes AUG work so well for you?

Chittagong said:
hmm... wonder if I should try that. I've been rolling with a TAR blinged with heartbeat sensor and thermal scope - both vital enhancements. What makes AUG work so well for you?

I've been using it w/ a silencer & red dot. That, along with Cold Blooded & Commando make CQC much easier to deal with. The AUG is also decent for long range combat, too.

Nelo Ice said:
also once again it cant be stated enough how overpowered the model 1887s are im killing guys nearly midrange instantly and when 2 enemies are together i end up getting a double kill :lol

I've noticed the akimbo'd 1887's come up a lot online lately. Such a bitch to deal with.

Leunam

~Devil Trigger~ said:
finally got to play some Terminal yesterday. By far the best map in the game

Finally? How long have you been playing? Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I played Terminal...

andycapps

Loving the Akimbo Vector's lately.. Also, loving the Stinger very much. Shooting down helicopters and Harriers never gets old.

And this game desperately needs patching. Way too many party drops, lag, and re-hosting only to end up back in the lobby. The worst thing is when I'm in a party, the match starts up, then immediately it says it's rehosting, then it goes back to the lobby, then the lobby closes and it says I'm waiting on lobby leader. After waiting 30 seconds or so I look on the XMB and the lobby leader is still in the game and it's been going on this whole time.

Skenzin

Banned
After playing about 15 hours Ive gone from the falling in love with UMP45->SCAR->M4->some lmg i forget.

But now my new deadly combo that is giving me +30 kills a game is Famas with stopping power.

ALeperMessiah said:
I've noticed the akimbo'd 1887's come up a lot online lately. Such a bitch to deal with.

Akimbo silenced pistols is another, those bastards fire faster than most assult riffles so you get nutter sprinting about with them.

Also I was one fucking kill from my first nuke yesterday, what made it worse is the kill i needed would have ended the match:lol :(

Skenzin said:
But now my new deadly combo that is giving me +30 kills a game is Famas with stopping power.
I've been playing with this since the beginning and it really feels more powerful than any other weapon in the game. Usually it will kill with a single burst, which many times the M16 does not. <3 FAMAS

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Leunam said:
Finally? How long have you been playing? Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I played Terminal...
i played Terminal 4 or 5 times since i've bought the game.
Matchmaking gives me these 4 maps most 90% of the time: Skidrow, Karachi, Highrise, Afghan.

so yea, Terminal, Rundown, Scrapyard are the 3 maps i'd say i get excited to play in.

Karachi, Wasteland, Invasion, High Rise and Favela are on and off.

Afghan, Quarry, Derail, Estate, Subbase, Underpass and Skidrow are just terrible.

and so far, i've NEVER played this Rust i hear about

bud

ps3 version: is it possible to chat with just one person on your team?

divisionbyzorro said:
Dude. I've seen some wild-ass titles around here...but what did you do to get that?

i asked for it... sort of. :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
backflip10019 said:
Now that I think about it, I've never played that one either. Any idea what playlists it shows up in?
FFA only I think. It's a crazy, crazy, crazy map.

At one point I was killed ten times in a row in under 15 seconds. :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I hate to admit it, but I've switched over to the M16 instead of the FAL.

I still prefer the FAL over long distances, however I can't put up with dying in close quarter situations because I get sprayed with a quick burst and all I have are manual shots.

Burst fire takes a bit of getting used to, but my K/D ratio has been slowly going up with the gun change as well as a bit of a playstyle change (slowing things down much more than I usually do, still using my Ninja build).

Got my K/D from 1.10 to 1.18 and rising. Hoping to get that bitch to 1.25+ and maintain it.

Enosh

just wondering, which is the best sniper rifle to use? atm I am going with the M21 EBR are the others better/worse? Do I need stoping power with it for 1 shot kills?

Meier

Played my best match last night.. 10 kills vs 5 deaths. I seem to be at my best in the level in the office complex. My one wish is that the matchmaking would put lower level people with lower level people.. surely there are plenty of folks online who aren't level 50.

I got up to level 5 last night.. I'm a machine! :lol

Dipswitch

Ok, so I finished the campaign on Veteran last week (Unlocking all single player achievements), played some multiplayer over the weekend and am now jonesing to get the Spec Ops achievements.

Can you do those on Veteran solo? Or is it an exercise in frustration and/or am I missing out on the co-op shenanigans?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dipswitch said:
Ok, so I finished the campaign on Veteran last week (Unlocking all single player achievements), played some multiplayer over the weekend and am now jonesing to get the Spec Ops achievements.

Can you do those on Veteran solo? Or is it an exercise in frustration and/or am I missing out on the co-op shenanigans?

I think you'll probably have a pretty difficult time trying to solo the Veteran Ops. There's no co-op specific Achievements, but it makes things significantly easier.

Melhisedek said:
Guys, I played COD4 MP once at my buddys place and loved it. He was obsessed by it and he liked COD:WaW as well not as much as COD4 but he played both. Same buddy bought MW2 and he didn't like it all. Now he is asking me to buy COD4 so we can play together (PC) while I was all about getting the latest MW2 and rocking that online.

So what do you think MW or MW2 online only? What do you prefer and why?

I personally think CoD4 is by far the better of the two games. It feels more balanced, in that there is alot more of a reliance on your actual guns than just picking up some mad killstreak and tearing shit up. For example, last night, I was lagging fiercely, red bar(1/4 ping on consoles, they dont give us real numbers. I'm guessing it was over 500[1/2 second]) for about 3 hours straight. After getting wrecked for about 5 matches straight, I switched to a class with nothing but grenade launchers, refillable ammo, reduced killstreak requirements and a 3/4/5 killstreak setup (which became 2/3/4). The 3 was a care drop, which gives a random killstreak. Every game I was getting Chopper Gunners, AC130s, or EMPs (11/11/15)which completely wreck the other team, and this would usually be accomplished with my first 4 grenades, roughly 3 seconds of gameplay. The fact that a terrible player can stumble across these overpowered streaks in a couple of seconds of gameplay is absurd to me, and when a chopper gunner can rack up anywhere between 5-15 kills with relative ease means the gunplay is not the priority. Admittedly, they are pretty easy to take out if you have a team that shoots them down, but most people don't.

Also, the maps in CoD4 tend to be regarded as the better ones between the two. You will notice alot of bitching in this thread about Wasteland, Estate, Favela, and Quarry. None of them are terrible, per se, but they definitely are not the finest example of maps that IW has put out. The only map I generally hear praised over and over is Terminal. On the other hand, CoD4s Crossfire, Crash, Ambush, and Backlot tended to be very well received and there weren't any maps that were overwhelmingly hated like we seem to be getting with Wasteland and Estate.

Especially since you are considering the PC version, I have to recommend you play CoD4 instead. Dedicated servers with increased player counts are great, great fun. The fact that win conditions can be adjusted so games go to 100 or 150 or 500 kills instead of 75, or that player counts can be adjusted from 12 to 16 to 24 to 40, etc makes it a much more exciting experience. Yes, the maps werent designed for populations of 40-50 players, but you can find smaller servers as well as the higher ones. Modded servers like those that play the hardcore mode (essentially a realism fix) but without friendly fire are a godsend that you wont see on consoles, where an ass of a teammate can just wreck the experience. And I'm positive that there are other modded servers that will change things up and keep the game fresh, though I havent played the PC version extensively since I just bought it a couple weeks ago in the Steam deal.

Best of luck with whichever one you choose though, they're both really good games.

Rad-

~Devil Trigger~ said:
finally got to play some Terminal yesterday. By far the best map in the game

Yeah it's a cool map (so clean looking), reminds me of that one CS map. However it's also campers heaven, there's many really easy camping spots.

Moving on, I don't know how to play with the ninja combo. I get tons of deaths when I'm behind the lines and enemies always come from different sides and kill me. How the hell do you guys play ninja well?

So I went back to AUG and RPD. These things have kept my K/D over 2 playing just TDM Mercenary. I tried the AR's and SMG's but they just don't pack the punch like the LMG's do. I love the feeling when I'm holding AUG and 3 enemies face me and I just let it rip and whoop their asses in like 1 second. It's so freaking good long range as well. Too bad LMG's don't go well with silencers (damage drops and long range shooting gets worse) but I guess it would be too good then.

Dipswitch

GuardianE said:
I think you'll probably have a pretty difficult time trying to solo the Veteran Ops. There's no co-op specific Achievements, but it makes things significantly easier.

Fair enough. Would rather find that out now rather than beat my head against a wall trying to get them done solo. I assume then that they don't further goose up the difficulty when you're playing co-op?

Drastic

J-Rzez said:
And I still play the game for other reasons. First off, trash talking and griefing is great time as there's so many people playing it's easy to find that person that explodes at you, or puts their mom on the mic thinking it'll stop you from talking shit. Second reason is MAG comes out in Jan, and I need something to amuse me until then, which the first note amuses me, for now.

You are the type of person that makes Live unbearable for many folks, as well as being the reason many use "friends only" on mics, making it more difficult to find new good friends.

May you be bludgeoned with a metal folding chair for a long period.
Soon.

Meier said:
Played my best match last night.. 10 kills vs 5 deaths. I seem to be at my best in the level in the office complex. My one wish is that the matchmaking would put lower level people with lower level people.. surely there are plenty of folks online who aren't level 50.

I got up to level 5 last night.. I'm a machine! :lol

:lol The first dozen or so levels go by pretty quick. It'll slow down soon enough.

Drastic said:
You are the type of person that makes Live unbearable for many folks, as well as being the reason many use "friends only" on mics, making it more difficult to find new good friends.

May you be bludgeoned with a metal folding chair for a long period.
Soon.

The more you quote him, the less effective my Ignore list becomes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dipswitch said:
Fair enough. Would rather find that out now rather than beat my head against a wall trying to get them done solo. I assume then that they don't further goose up the difficulty when you're playing co-op?

No, they stay the same. The levels are pretty much designed for two players... some of them require two players (a few that involve vehicles). May as well get a partner now.

Pete Rock

Love this game, hope people at Valve realize what a boat they missed with their CS "franchise". Half the game modes are CS on crack with respawning and killstreak bonuses, aside from the amazing art assets and level geometry I find the experience to be virtually identical.

FAL with bling pro silenced + red dot, ninja & cold blooded, headshots for days :lol

Actually skip the CS comparison, it's way more fun and reminds me of AQ2/AHL brought up to speed, especially the FFA modes. Played Rust once, awesome fun. I actually will only play team objective games because the TDM is such a catass camp fest, if I want to play DM it's best played solo for unlock whoring imo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
killertofu said:
If anyone see's the GamerTag hansvelas, ask 'em how they like the Xbox 360 they stole from me. :(

I'm pretty sure you can report that Gamertag and get it tracked if your 360 is stolen. It happens if the thief is an idiot.

RubxQub

Rad- said:
Moving on, I don't know how to play with the ninja combo. I get tons of deaths when I'm behind the lines and enemies always come from different sides and kill me. How the hell do you guys play ninja well?
To execute ninja well (my main build), you've got to have cold-blooded, and they both should be pro level (takes time, but totally worth it).

Know where your team is generally spawning and where their team is generally spawning, and do your best to get around behind or to the side of their spawn location. Always be on your guard for someone running the same path you are (take corners slowly and with your eyes down the sights).

If you can take any resistance on the way or can just purely get to the other team at an angle they aren't expecting, you'll probably get 2-3 kills easy of people that aren't looking for you whatsoever. I've knifed entire rooms full of people without any of them reacting because they're all staring out windows/doors :lol

The hardest part about the build is having the skills to take people 1:1 when you both see each other. You need to have the ability to execute without any major upgrades to your ability to kill. The person you're up against will almost definitely have some kind of advantage against you, whether that's raw damage, accuracy, speed, etc...you're going to be at a disadvantage. Hopefully they weren't expecting you, otherwise you're going to have to be the better shot to win that fight.

I run with Bling Pro to get Holographic + Silencer on my M16 and FMJ + Silencer on my M9.

It's a very satisfying build, but those direct encounters will always be tougher because you won't have any perks to beef up your damage or efficiency.

Pyke Presco said:
For example, last night, I was lagging fiercely, red bar(1/4 ping on consoles, they dont give us real numbers. I'm guessing it was over 500[1/2 second]) for about 3 hours straight.
Why on Earth did you play in that condition? Especially for THAT long? o_O

I must say I'm quite lucky with the connections generally. Unless someone at my house is draining my bandwith, I never dip below 3 green bars.

Pete Rock

RubxQub said:
Know where your team is generally spawning and where their team is generally spawning, and do your best to get around behind or to the side of their spawn location. Always be on your guard for someone running the same path you are (take corners slowly and with your eyes down the sights).
Great advice, I could only add that I tend to run a tacflare with this build because it is even more awesome after you knife that room full of people when you respawn right behind them after the straggler gets you :lol

If you hide your flare well most people won't bother pulling it, and most don't run sitrep so unless you get a grudge going consider it an easy KD boosting tool at worst.

killertofu said:
If anyone see's the GamerTag hansvelas, ask 'em how they like the Xbox 360 they stole from me. :(

Senor Chang's knowledge will BITE HER FACE OFF!

Anyway, if you guys see any Asians, please ask them how they're enjoying my bicycle.

Rad- said:

You'll want a gun with a heartbeat sensor. If you also want a silencer or a sight, you'll put Bling Pro in your first perk spot. Otherwise, I suggest Scavenger Pro. Regardless, use a silencer on your secondary weapon.

Perk 1: Scavenger Pro/Bling Pro
Perk 2: Cold Blooded Pro
Perk 3: Ninja Pro

Stay on the move, stick to the edges of the map, and watch your back. Use Claymores (dropping Claymores behind enemy lines is hilarious) and Smoke Grenades for getting out of trouble. Martyrdom or Final Stand would be the best death streak, since Painkiller will be useless if you're sneaking around (the timer will run out before you get back behind enemy lines), and Copycat will screw up your well-crafted class.

divisionbyzorro said:
You'll want a gun with a heartbeat sensor. If you also want a silencer or a sight, you'll put Bling Pro in your first perk spot. Otherwise, I suggest Scavenger Pro. Regardless, use a silencer on your secondary weapon.
Waiting to get a few more kills with my Striker so I can have red dot AND silencer on it. Anton Sugar, what, what?!

My buddy just got his 500th kill with the Striker. No idea how he uses that thing so much.

RubxQub

One other major thing about Ninja builds...go out of your way to travel alone. If someone is following you, start taking a different route.

The other person is either going to make noise or show up on radar and alert the enemy to your position (or that someone is coming that way)...so always travel alone.

womfalcs3

Banned
The ending to
"Loose Ends"
is frustrating.
There aren't many enemies to fight as I run down, but a mortar kills me seconds after I load at the checkpoint.

Even being one with Ghost doesn't work.

bud

RubxQub said:
One other major thing about Ninja builds...go out of your way to travel alone. If someone is following you, start taking a different route.

The other person is either going to make noise or show up on radar and alert the enemy to your position (or that someone is coming that way)...so always travel alone.

nah, man... we ride together, we die together.

Top Bottom