• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Nelo Ice

Banned
Papercuts said:
What's up with that? Well, they're completely broken, so once more people learn about it they'll join the pack and use them too. :p

precisely why i use them :lol
and also why they severely need to be patched

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've got a dilemma with my M16. I started from scratch to power up the weapon with the intention to get my preferred combo Red Dot + Heartbeat Monitor (using Bling). In my way there I have had to go with Silencer and Red Dot. Amazingly, my K/D never dropped without Heartbeat Monitor - on the contrary - even though I thought I'd never survive without. Now I've quite come to love using Silencer as my position isn't given away (not sure if the bullet bursts can be still seen though?). So now I'm undecided if I actually need Heartbeat Monitor or whether Silencer does more good.

Joates

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
You know I had the same exact issues you guys are talking about 3 day's after it came out. Ive decided to sell it on craigslist. None of the maps are fun. They promote camping and are way to open. Killstreaks from care packages break the game. Getting killed with just a couple of bullets is frustrating. I bought this specifically for the multiplayer and now I feel completely jipped.

What were you expecting to take clips to the face and keep on tickin??

R2D4

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
You know I had the same exact issues you guys are talking about 3 day's after it came out. Ive decided to sell it on craigslist. None of the maps are fun. They promote camping and are way to open. Killstreaks from care packages break the game. Getting killed with just a couple of bullets is frustrating. I bought this specifically for the multiplayer and now I feel completely jipped.

So camp and get killstreaks yourself. Don't hate it. Embrace it.

Chittagong said:
I've got a dilemma with my M16. I started from scratch to power up the weapon with the intention to get my preferred combo Red Dot + Heartbeat Monitor (using Bling). In my way there I have had to go with Silencer and Red Dot. Amazingly, my K/D never dropped without Heartbeat Monitor - on the contrary - even though I thought I'd never survive without. Now I've quite come to love using Silencer as my position isn't given away (not sure if the bullet bursts can be still seen though?). So now I'm undecided if I actually need Heartbeat Monitor or whether Silencer does more good.

I thought the HBS was so cool and essential, for all of like 3 games. Then I realized "Wait a minute, I never needed it in CoD4, why do I need it now?". Went through the same realisation with Bling, Sleight of Hand, Cold-Blooded(outside of Hardcore, where it is essential) and many other perks.

Instead, I went back to the methods I used in CoD4 and lo and behold, shit started to go my way again.* All my classes use scavenger or marathon, depending on if they are a runner(knife, shield, akimbo shotty) or a gunner(everything else). They also all use stopping power or lightweight, with the same contingency as above. Perk 3 I switch between ninja, commando, and steady aim. Commando for knife, SMG/AR classes(for jumping to my [non]death), unless the map doesnt have big drops, like Wasteland or Afghan, where I'll swap it to Ninja. Ninja on my sniper, so they dont pick me up if they're just sweeping by with a HBS. Steady Aim on LMGs and akimbo'd shotties. My primary weapon attachments are RDS(rifles, machine guns), Silencers(SMGs, pistol if its not a tac knife), Thermal(Sniper), and Akimbo (shotty/machine pistol). I pretty much never switch too far from those, though I will occasionally bust out a noob tube if I'm lagging or a silenced sniper instead of thermal on sub base/derail.

I have just completely ignored using all the new goodies because they really arent essential. Hardcore lists I fool around with the perks a little more, since stopping power isnt as important, and I sometimes bling a silencer and a RDS in it, but in standard gametypes I have switched back to my old CoD4 playstyle and it works just fine.

*Things never really didn't go my way, but I was breaking even instead of ridiculously positive every time, and that just wont do.

Mileena

Banned
They really need to make the Intervention a one hit kill every time. It's so annoying shooting someone in the chest and they don't die then someone shoots them in the toe and I get an assist. Same thing happens with the Barrett as well.

Joates said:
What were you expecting to take clips to the face and keep on tickin??

In regular TDM... yes. I play Hardcore almost exclusively and when I play regular TDM I'm stunned by how many bullets it takes to shoot someone and kill them. In Hardcore, you shoot them and they die. Period. He must be playing hardcore to say this.

Yeef

For some reason the ACR feels weird. It's like the bullets go slightly to the right of where I'm aiming. I don't have that problem with any other gun.

Pyke Presco said:
I thought the HBS was so cool and essential, for all of like 3 games.
I'm no good with the heartbeat sensor. It usually hurts me more than it helps me since it both impairs my view while also making me take my eyes off of what's going on in front of me. Everytime I've tried using it I've done much worse, so I just ignore it.

xxjuicesxx said:
90% sure split screen is only in campaign and spec ops.
There's split screen multiplayer (4 people) and LAN multiplayer, but no way to do both together, unfortunately.

R2D4 said:
So camp and get killstreaks yourself. Don't hate it. Embrace it.

I don't play that way, and I didn't play that way in 4. I refuse to be the bitch hiding in a corner waiting for someone to run across my sights. It's a fucking stupid way to play and you're endorsing it.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
I don't play that way, and I didn't play that way in 4. I refuse to be the bitch hiding in a corner waiting for someone to run across my sights. It's a fucking stupid way to play and you're endorsing it.

Then that's your problem, not Infinity Ward's. So clean up the tears.

Mileena

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
I agree. I use the Barrett 80% of the time and I still don't camp. It's almost like they designed these maps with intentions of having the game be a campfest. Every map has like multiple roofs and building just for campers.

Narag

I don't get the camping complaining still. You're given multiple classes so you can tweak loadouts to address nearly any situation. Danger Close + Thumper clears out campers everytime. :lol

itsgreen

corkscrewblow said:
I agree. I use the Barrett 80% of the time and I still don't camp. It's almost like they designed these maps with intentions of having the game be a campfest. Every map has like multiple roofs and building just for campers.

Yeah and every roof and building has multiple entries so you can attack the 'camper'.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Meh, i think IW will tweak the game in due time, as for camping, go fucking ninja on them, UMP45 RDS, USP.45 w/ Tactical knife, Stun grenade, throwing knife, Marathon pro, lightweight pro, commando pro. No amount of camping on any maps can ruin your fun and this build is pure fun and when you're good at it, you know the camping spots then they're easy kills, even if they have HBS, you always sprint and you'll be on their ass in no time.

I circle the outer edges of the maps while sprinting, often into spawn points too, i go on roofs, the sniping spots or where most campers go, they rarely see me coming and when they do you're generally moving so fast that there's always cover options (never go in the open), i barely ever go to the center of the maps in TDM with this build. Had a 30/9 game with highest killstreak just tonight.

Mileena

Banned
itsgreen said:
Yeah and every roof and building has multiple entries so you can attack the 'camper'.
Not true at all.

oh and this game has terrible registry and interp. I've shot people in my face with the sniper and it doesn't register as a hit at all and I've been shot while I was WAY behind a corner and I still die. This is way worse than it was in CoD4.

Narag said:
The gameplay isn't to your liking and its better to recognize its not the game but your own play preference that makes it unfun.

My play preference was just fine for COD4. Now all of a sudden my play preference is making it unfun? Oh sorry, I thought this was the sequel to a game that I played almost 2 years straight without any beef whatsoever.

You people defending camping are ridiculous. The fucking muliplayer is not what it used to be. That is the whole goddamn point.

cameltoe

corkscrewblow said:
Not true at all.

oh and this game has terrible registry and interp. I've shot people in my face with the sniper and it doesn't register as a hit at all and I've been shot while I was WAY behind a corner and I still die. This is way worse than it was in CoD4.

I agree with this statement

rush777

I'm shocked you guys are still complaining about camping in a game that shows you exactly how you were killed and where your enemy shot you from.

And the lies on here that you have to camp to be successful is a croc of shit, I've got an average 1.6 K/D but I never camp and I have never had a problem with campers especially when I know where they are.

Now hardcore (which I don't play) is probably a different story but I would camp my ass off as well. Seriously guys get the pro versions of ninja and cold blooded get used to using a silencer and seek out these campers that are ruining your experience.

NYR

WEGGLES said:
Anyone notice the online being especially shitty tonight, or am I just super unlucky?
Yep, agreed, it kicked me out of several games and I got some serious conections issues for the first time. Even got the cod4 connection error logo/image once.

I experienced heavy heavy lag for the first time as well - worked in my favor once though, was able to out run a predator missle, lol.

Weenerz

Banned
Online was shitty earlier too, tried 5 different modes before I found a game. And even that game needed 3 other people. I have noticed it isn't looking for 100ms games, but 50ms games now. Might be the reason.

rush777

IcebergSlim3000 said:
My play preference was just fine for COD4. Now all of a sudden my play preference is making it unfun? Oh sorry, I thought this was the sequel to a game that I played almost 2 years straight without any beef whatsoever.

You people defending camping are ridiculous. The fucking muliplayer is not what it used to be. That is the whole goddamn point.

I honestly believe it's just as good as 4 except for the Killstreak rewards being slightly broken on some maps, It feels like I have double the rewards and playstyles available to me.

I never felt a huge need for extra class slots at all in COD4 now I wish I had at least 10.

Stillmatic

I only really get pissed at campers because they always mess with my killstreak. :lol

I always go back for revenge though, let them know that spot has been compromised and they should fear me if they go back there, now go find another spot, ya wanker! I don't actually say that, i just give a dirty look to the tv...

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Tokubetsu said:
Me and Eric have started a new clan guys. Everyones welcome to join. KIMBO SHOTTY, tag is [KMBO] Here's our mascot:
2uf7ytl.jpg

I'm thinking the logo will be something like his bearded face all big n shit and then either 2 shotguns crossed underneath it or his arms crossed.
Lolz

sold.. I seriously need to play with GAF members.

Okin

You guys are complaining about campers? I have only used a knife for the past week, and have slaughtered the enemy team repeatedly.

The knife is the best weapon in the game.

Tokubetsu said:
Me and Eric have started a new clan guys. Everyones welcome to join. KIMBO SHOTTY, tag is [KMBO] Here's our mascot:
2uf7ytl.jpg

I'm thinking the logo will be something like his bearded face all big n shit and then either 2 shotguns crossed underneath it or his arms crossed.

kimbo.png

or

kimbo_slice.jpg

or

kimbo-hoodie.jpg

I, like many other veteran CoD4 players in this thread, think this game is very unbalanced. And it's not just that I played CoD4 for 2 years and don't want anything to be different, so now that theres a new game I just cant cope with the changes. Thats not it at all, I still tend to be in the top 3 players of the game, pretty much every round. But the killstreaks are definitely ruining the game. The idea of getting a 4(or 3!) killstreak to unlock an AC130/Chopper Gunner from a random drop is ludicrous. That could very well be the first encounter of a round, if you use Danger Close with a grenade launcher or you set up with an LMG watching their doorway. The opening 10 second salvo can set your team back 15 kills with the right drop, especially if the guy with the AC130 is any good, they can take out the launchers before they even get a shot off, not to mention the rest of his team wreaking havoc while you all stare at the sky trying to take it out. Sure, it's an isolated case and wont happen every round, but the fact that it can happen at all is a problem.

Unless I'm playing the knife build, where my streaks are set up with all the fire and forget bonuses, like UAV, Counter, Attack Chopper, Pavelow, or EMP, I will never use a UAV. And if you expect your team to put one up, you're only kidding yourself. Everyone is chasing the big streaks, and I am a good enough player that getting a 5 killstreak for a predator is fairly easy to do, which just steamrolls from predator to Harrier to AC130/Chopper gunner. I get on one good streak and the enemy drops behind by 10-15 kills in a matter of 30 seconds. Now CoD4 had its problems. I never went past a 7 killstreak, because the minute I hit 7 I went out of my way to get killed so I could call in a chopper to fuel new streaks. Thank god that little trick is gone, or it would be a nonstop armageddon on the battlefield. But even so some of the streaks can just completely ruin a game. Earlier I was playing skidrow with care drop, predator, EAD. Care drop gave me a turret, got to my prdeator, hit 2, killed one more, called the EAD, got 3 more turrets and a precision airstrike. Do you have any idea how broken 4 turrets up at the same time can be? I put one at spiral, one in the back alley, one at the entrance to middle green room, and the other I carried around and set up wherever they happened to be spawning. I think I got 9 kills with my turrets before the few players that switched to coldblooded managed to kill them all, and their team was essentially locked into playground while my team tore them up from the windows in the middle building.

And I still don't like the maps. I love Terminal, Karachi, Underpass. They feel very much like CoD4 style maps, just bigger to accomodate for the killstreaks that can dominate entire parts of the map (seriously, imagine an AC130 on Bog, or Ambush. All you people clamoring for CoD4 remakes in the map pack are going to be in for a rude awakening when you realize how shitty it's going to be having the big killstreaks on the smaller CoD4 maps). But other maps, like Wasteland, Scrapyard, Estate, Favela...they just arent fun. I can setup with a thermal scope and snipe wasteland with the best of them, or parkour knife/1887 runner the shit out of Favela, but they're still terrible maps. Maybe things are better in objective gametypes, I don't know. I try to stick to deathmatch because I find the average player doesnt care about the objectives to begin with and just plays for their K/D anyway, so why would I want to be the only person pushing for an HQ while the rest of my team chills and snipes the day away chasing their Nuke? But with things the way they are right now, I really dont see myself playing this for 2 years straight like I did CoD4. I just hope a sizable chunk of the community agrees with me and goes back to CoD4 in the next couple of months, because right now its depressingly empty.

rush777

Pyke Presco said:
I, like many other veteran CoD4 players in this thread, think this game is very unbalanced. And it's not just that I played CoD4 for 2 years and don't want anything to be different, so now that theres a new game I just cant cope with the changes. Thats not it at all, I still tend to be in the top 3 players of the game, pretty much every round. But the killstreaks are definitely ruining the game. The idea of getting a 4(or 3!) killstreak to unlock an AC130/Chopper Gunner from a random drop is ludicrous. That could very well be the first encounter of a round, if you use Danger Close with a grenade launcher or you set up with an LMG watching their doorway. The opening 10 second salvo can set your team back 15 kills with the right drop, especially if the guy with the AC130 is any good, they can take out the launchers before they even get a shot off, not to mention the rest of his team wreaking havoc while you all stare at the sky trying to take it out. Sure, it's an isolated case and wont happen every round, but the fact that it can happen at all is a problem.

Unless I'm playing the knife build, where my streaks are set up with all the fire and forget bonuses, like UAV, Counter, Attack Chopper, Pavelow, or EMP, I will never use a UAV. And if you expect your team to put one up, you're only kidding yourself. Everyone is chasing the big streaks, and I am a good enough player that getting a 5 killstreak for a predator is fairly easy to do, which just steamrolls from predator to Harrier to AC130/Chopper gunner. I get on one good streak and the enemy drops behind by 10-15 kills in a matter of 30 seconds. Now CoD4 had its problems. I never went past a 7 killstreak, because the minute I hit 7 I went out of my way to get killed so I could call in a chopper to fuel new streaks. Thank god that little trick is gone, or it would be a nonstop armageddon on the battlefield. But even so some of the streaks can just completely ruin a game. Earlier I was playing skidrow with care drop, predator, EAD. Care drop gave me a turret, got to my prdeator, hit 2, killed one more, called the EAD, got 3 more turrets and a precision airstrike. Do you have any idea how broken 4 turrets up at the same time can be? I put one at spiral, one in the back alley, one at the entrance to middle green room, and the other I carried around and set up wherever they happened to be spawning. I think I got 9 kills with my turrets before the few players that switched to coldblooded managed to kill them all, and their team was essentially locked into playground while my team tore them up from the windows in the middle building.

And I still don't like the maps. I love Terminal, Karachi, Underpass. They feel very much like CoD4 style maps, just bigger to accomodate for the killstreaks that can dominate entire parts of the map (seriously, imagine an AC130 on Bog, or Ambush. All you people clamoring for CoD4 remakes in the map pack are going to be in for a rude awakening when you realize how shitty it's going to be having the big killstreaks on the smaller CoD4 maps). But other maps, like Wasteland, Scrapyard, Estate, Favela...they just arent fun. I can setup with a thermal scope and snipe wasteland with the best of them, or parkour knife/1887 runner the shit out of Favela, but they're still terrible maps. Maybe things are better in objective gametypes, I don't know. I try to stick to deathmatch because I find the average player doesnt care about the objectives to begin with and just plays for their K/D anyway, so why would I want to be the only person pushing for an HQ while the rest of my team chills and snipes the day away chasing their Nuke? But with things the way they are right now, I really dont see myself playing this for 2 years straight like I did CoD4. I just hope a sizable chunk of the community agrees with me and goes back to CoD4 in the next couple of months, because right now its depressingly empty.

I really agree with you about the killstreaks although players are adapting and shooting down air support much more consistently which helps . In fact I agree with your entire post which is odd because I am really enjoying this game. Is there something wrong with me ?:lol

Not at all, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game right now as well. Just hit second prestige and am starting my third run through (dont judge me too harshly GAF...I know I have a problem). But the fact of the matter is, how much of that is the game being good and how much of that is just the fresh new coat of paint and all the cool little extras they tossed in? Only time will tell, but I'm leaning towards most of it just being that the game is new.

EDIT: Sonofabeep: Yeah, I know there's alot of air cover on the maps. The problem is, oftentimes on the more open maps(Derail, Afghan, Wasteland, Estate) if the other team is holding the warehouse/cave/trench/mansion, you're in for a world of hurt. Switch it out for chopper gunner in the more building oriented maps for similar destruction through walls. Especially playing in public games, where the vast majority of the community expects somebody else to take care of things rather than do it themselves (eg. how many times have you heard the whiny little 15 year old with a sniper rifle bitch about nobody shooting down the air support?). These are growing pains, certainly, and things will sort themselves out in the next few weeks as people grom accustomed to the game, but I still question the ability of this game to hold my interest.

[And really, I just wouldnt be a proper GAFfer if I didn't bitch about things and try to make everyone else agree with me]

Pyke Presco said:
I, like many other veteran CoD4 players in this thread, think this game is very unbalanced. And it's not just that I played CoD4 for 2 years and don't want anything to be different, so now ....etc..... ause right now its depressingly empty.

CoD4 still exists and still will continue to be played. I'm glad that MW2 feels different, cause I can always pop in the original if I want to.

I don't see the big deal about AC130s though. most maps have enough air cover that you can get hidden.

God help you if you're on wasteland though

Just recently started using the FAMAS - that gun is godly with stopping power, IMO. I just keep a launcher in the second slot to shoot down air shit, then marathon to get out of trouble. I end up going like 15-3 consistently, way better than when I was using automatics.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Shooting down people's killstreak rewards with a stinger is the best part of the game for me.

I guess the main problem I'm having with the game (outside of balance issues - won't even go into that) is the fact that some maps are so damn shitty. That's not a problem in a normal PC game (or even some other console FPS) because you can go into servers that have tailor made map rotations. If all you want to do is play estate and terminal over and over (ugh estate), then there would probably be a server out there for you (or you could set one up). As it stands in MW2, you are SOL and having to fight in Estate and Favela and Wasteland over and over makes me turn it off EVERY TIME.

I just can't believe how terrible so many of the maps are.

commish said:
Shooting down people's killstreak rewards with a stinger is the best part of the game for me.

I guess the main problem I'm having with the game (outside of balance issues - won't even go into that) is the fact that some maps are so damn shitty. That's not a problem in a normal PC game (or even some other console FPS) because you can go into servers that have tailor made map rotations. If all you want to do is play estate and terminal over and over (ugh estate), then there would probably be a server out there for you (or you could set one up). As it stands in MW2, you are SOL and having to fight in Estate and Favela and Wasteland over and over makes me turn it off EVERY TIME.

I just can't believe how terrible so many of the maps are.

I know. Those campers are unguardable like Amare

I started playing this a little bit again today, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they are now including all of the maps in FFA. The formerly excluded maps are much larger, but I like that...it means your average lifespan is more than 2 seconds. The smaller maps like Rust are just too damn chaotic to be any fun in my opinion.

DuckRacer

Pyke Presco said:
I just hope a sizable chunk of the community agrees with me and goes back to CoD4 in the next couple of months, because right now its depressingly empty.
How many people are playing CoD4, anyway? I can't imagine everyone left.

I agree with your post btw, except for the part where you love on Karachi and Underpass. Fuck those maps. In all honesty I think Terminal, Derail (only because it's amazing when using a stealth build), and maybe Quarry are the only good maps in the game. Rundown was decent too, until I realized a few snipers can easily cover the three bridges in hardcore modes and practically stagnate the entire match. Everything else ranges from mediocre to utter shit, and it's appalling how terrible Afghan, Wasteland and Scrapyard are. Estate is pretty bad too because of how one-dimensional it is. imo, CoD4 had only two mediocre-to-terrible maps – Wet Work and Showdown – and nothing in MW2 is nearly as good as Crash, Crossfire, Overgrown, Vacant, etc.

I'd go back to CoD4, but I've already played that to hell and back and would much rather play something new. Ah well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
ph33nix said:
I know. Those campers are unguardable like Amare

Amare has a k to d ratio of 7 in this game. He's awesome.

I don't have a problem with campers anymore because the maps' shitty design often encourages it. I've just accepted the fact that someone who has been crouched in a corner for 9 minutes straight, waiting for someone to pass, is gonna kill me at least once every map.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
DuckRacer said:
CoD4 had only two mediocre-to-terrible maps – Wet Work and Showdown

say what?

Wet Work, Showdown, Shipment, Countdown, Creek, Bloc, Bog = mediocre.

CoD4 had some great maps but I don't see them working out in MW2. Could you imagine Crash with an AC130 or Chopper Gunner overhead? Dear Lord. :lol

Top Bottom