• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

HooCares said:
I'll often go 10 - (0-2) early on, and get all my streaks (I like UAV, Pred Missile, Harrier). After that I go downhill fast and finish the match somewhere around 1.25 KD where I was on pace for a solid 2.

That's natural... all numbers are going to gravitate towards 0 the longer you play, with notable exceptions. In the end though, it's great to be like "Shoot I'm 12 and 1, I can go out and just smash it up now." And in the best of situations, your 10 and 0 becomes 14 and 0 and then you have a reason to be a smartass at the end of the match.

Rawk Hawk said:
I wish I had a nickle for every time a member of the losing team instantly starts bragging about his 30-5 round. And it's not even like they are provoked by the winners bragging so they counter with their K/D, no this is the first thing spoken into the lobby.

But I think this game, with the challenges and random grouped matches, promotes this style of play.

As do nukes. Nukes effectively legitimize kill-boosting in objective-based games.

careful said:
Mostly this. Just nerf or remove altogether the teleportation knifing and it's all good.
Says the man with the ninja av... :D

Anyway, I use Commando Pro almost exclusively. I don't think they need to nerf it, but probably put something in the three slot that doesn't suck. Seriously, what else am I going to use?

As far as teleportation kills, hahah, on Derail, some guy was on top of a crate at the end of the trainyard, standing along the far edge from me... I clicked melee and teleported to my edge of the box and apparently cut him to ribbons when in reality it's debatable whether I could even reach his toes. But then I don't play this game for realism. :D

The best way to force people into performing the objectives in the objective based games is to make them worth more points. They've done a better job of this in MW2, but I think it needs to be expanded further still. If I get 8-10 caps in a domination game, but only around 20 kills, I should not be second on my team to a guy with 86 kills, but no caps. Make caps count as +300XP and it would push people towards playing the objective games correctly.

ALeperMessiah said:
The best way to force people into performing the objectives in the objective based games is to make them worth more points. They've done a better job of this in MW2, but I think it needs to be expanded further still. If I get 8-10 caps in a domination game, but only around 20 kills, I should not be second on my team to a guy with 86 kills, but no caps. Make caps count as +300XP and it would push people towards playing the objective games correctly.
Yes. Make it so.

ALeperMessiah said:
I find that in HQ, since points don't go to you once you're dead anymore like they did in COD4, most people either don't try to capture it, or simply capture it then run the fuck away for fear of being killed right next to. I think they should change it so that players who have died on the controlling team still get the points for as long as it's under control, because it's a reward for people sticking near it and actively trying to defend/capture it.

On a seperate note, my 360 came back today and I put four more hours into this baby tonight. :D

NYR said:
That's pretty retarded. Infinity Ward's testing/QA department needs to be "right-sized", if ya know what I mean....

nyrprice.png

Wtg on getting the 8-bit Price emblem as your av so early on. I don't think I got the connection until a few days back.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I think they should change it so that players who have died on the controlling team still get the points for as long as it's under control, because it's a reward for people sticking near it and actively trying to defend/capture it.

Yeah. Why they changed it is... anyone's f'ing guess. My favorite pastime used to be (war story time) laying down near the base (trying to look as dead as possible) with a stun grenade pulled. When someone finally capped me, their stunned ass could not run away from my martyrdom grenade. Is their a better way to ignore your kill count and defend your base? Hells no.

Fugu

I think MW2 (Just like CoD4) simply isn't designed for objective-based games, at least not in pubs. Yes, if you have people who don't need numerical incentive to play objective-based games, it's a fun time, but there's no way to convince the pubs. The abilities of the individual are just too great -- and I really hope that doesn't go away, because that's what I love about CoD.

Chrange

Banned
DeuceMojo said:
Yeah. Why they changed it is... anyone's f'ing guess. My favorite pastime used to be (war story time) laying down near the base (trying to look as dead as possible) with a stun grenade pulled. When someone finally capped me, their stunned ass could not run away from my martyrdom grenade. Is their a better way to ignore your kill count and defend your base? Hells no.

lol - that's newbie stuff now! With MW2 you can have a Javelin missile go off when you die! :lol

Fugu said:
I think MW2 (Just like CoD4) simply isn't designed for objective-based games, at least not in pubs. Yes, if you have people who don't need numerical incentive to play objective-based games, it's a fun time, but there's no way to convince the pubs. The abilities of the individual are just too great -- and I really hope that doesn't go away, because that's what I love about CoD.

Heh, everyone I knew prestiged 10 times in COD4, and several of them continued to playt he K:D game like they had just started playing. If anything, isn't being on top time to start doing crazy shit? I know this time around it's gonna be stuff like... "Lemme stick this Semtex on you and you run into that room."

DeuceMojo said:

Anyway, I use Commando Pro almost exclusively. I don't think they need to nerf it, but probably put something in the three slot that doesn't suck. Seriously, what else am I going to use?

As far as teleportation kills, hahah, on Derail, some guy was on top of a crate at the end of the trainyard, standing along the far edge from me... I clicked melee and teleported to my edge of the box and apparently cut him to ribbons when in reality it's debatable whether I could even reach his toes. But then I don't play this game for realism. :D

Is there a way to know if you're close enough to knife the guy you're pointing at? Or do you just have to get a feel for it?

HooCares

Neo Member
To encourage completing objectives in objective based games, KillStreaks cost 1+.

Or completing X,Y,or Z objective generates 2-3 "kills" for the purpose of streaks.

Example - if you had no kills and returned the flag, instant +3 kills (you're still at 0, but can now call in a UAV if you had it as a streak).

divisionbyzorro said:
Is there a way to know if you're close enough to knife the guy you're pointing at? Or do you just have to get a feel for it?

No, there's nothing like the Halo energy sword reticule glowing red and waiting for you to jump up and impale someone. It's defintiely a feel, and sometimes it's pressing your luck. But winning the majority of your close encounters is a huge plus. With Commando equipped, that is.

careful

DeuceMojo said:
haha touché
patch in shuriken stars throwing and all will be forgiven :p

As for objective based games, although they can be more fun when everything goes well, I get too frustrated playing team games when ppl don't play for objectives, so for my own sanity I mostly stick to TDM.

HooCares said:
To encourage completing objectives in objective based games, KillStreaks cost 1+.

Or completing X,Y,or Z objective generates 2-3 "kills" for the purpose of streaks.

Example - if you had no kills and returned the flag, instant +3 kills (you're still at 0, but can now call in a UAV if you had it as a streak).
Yeah, there you go. I get 100 points for downing planes and choppers (and I've nailed 150+ now), but it's only counted for the odd challenge. That thing needs to count as a kill, really. I've had one guy EVER say anything about the speed with which I destroy aircraft. Other people apparently are in the COD4 mode of just accepting their death-by-chopper when the time comes.

I am an unappreciated hero. I am going to make a Youtube fake PSA about it. :D

HooCares

Neo Member
Blowing up air support (except UAV's) should count as a kill IMO for the purpose of streaks. I'm sacrificing ground power to carry that stinger. It would also encourage the use of passive streaks like UAV's/Counter UAV since your enemies cannot get "kills" off them for their own streaks. Air Strike and Stealth Bomber are also suddenly more appealing.

I don't even care if you put them in a separate column ("support kills") and don't count them as kills for K/D purposes.

It would certainly add some diversity to the streaks as right now the air is full of nothing but Harriers and Chopper gunners with the occasional AC130.

I really enjoy going into S&D with my group of buddies and planting the bomb in the first minute or two.

Cut to the lobby, with the other team bitching about us "Planting it too fast" :lol

If you want to farm kills, there is playlists for that. Don't start bitching at us when we are playing the game mode as it was intended to be played.

careful said:
haha touché
patch in shuriken stars throwing and all will be forgiven :p

As for objective based games, although they can be more fun when everything goes well, I get too frustrated playing team games when ppl don't play for objectives, so for my own sanity I mostly stick to TDM.

Exactly. I used to be opposed to TDM, just for fun's sake, and now I play it almost exclusively 'cause I was tired of getting like an 800-point match bonus on a Sabotage game that my team lost in overtime. That's like playing 20 minutes for nothing.

At least it made me appreciate another game mode. TDM is surprisingly fun.

HooCares said:
Blowing up air support (except UAV's) should count as a kill IMO for the purpose of streaks. I'm sacrificing ground power to carry that stinger.
Dude, I sacrifice my life for that Stinger. When I hear the word enemy Harrier/Apache/Hind/Pavelow/Chopper/AC-130, I grip my frag until I explode and come back with that rocket. Nobody is that committed to keeping the skies friendly. :lol

NYR

DeuceMojo said:
Wtg on getting the 8-bit Price emblem as your av so early on. I don't think I got the connection until a few days back.
Heh, thanks - first time I've changed my av in 3 years, figured this one was worthy of a switch!

cresto

DeuceMojo said:
Dude, I sacrifice my life for that Stinger. When I hear the word enemy Harrier/Apache/Hind/Pavelow/Chopper/AC-130, I grip my frag until I explode and come back with that rocket. Nobody is that committed to keeping the skies friendly. :lol
Thats dedication, lol.

Graafke

Anyone else noticed that when you have multiple air units, they will fight eachother. This one time, there was a Pave Low flying around. I called in my Harriers and they totally kicked the Pave Low's ass. That was such an awesome sight to behold.

Graafke said:
Anyone else noticed that when you have multiple air units, they will fight eachother. This one time, there was a Pave Low flying around. I called in my Harriers and they totally kicked the Pave Low's ass. That was such an awesome sight to behold.
Pretty sure one of my Harriers killed a Chopper Gunner once.

Me and a buddy called in harriers at the same time, in the same place. The harriers hovered one above the other, it looked pretty sweet.

Then one enemy javelin took them both out ):

corkscrewblow said:
Just went 11-0 in SD and got a chopper gunner on the game winning kill :/
UMP is beast mode in SD
My first chopper gunner was one of my first game-winning kills.

That finishing move was my first (and my only) and potentially my last. :D

kuYuri

Slightly related, but Call of Duty Classic is being released on XBLA this Wednesday for those who didn't buy Hardened/Prestige Edition. It will be 1200 points.

Yeef

I've played the shield+commando build before, but I was on the receiving end of it last night and now I realize why I was so deadly with it. I was getting hit with the shield from like 10 feet away and it wasn't even like the knife where they teleport to you. He was far away but still registering hits.

Another thing that I think is kind of stupid. A guy managed to get a chopper gunne rin a game I was playing and then I killed him like 3 seconds after he took the laptop out, but he was still able to control it while he was dead. It should either become forfeit or I should be given the option to pickup the laptop and take over the controls.

DeuceMojo said:
8. I'm getting spawn killed! That's not fair!
Being spawn killed is simply bad game design. I can't count how many times I've spawned on top of a grenade or already being shot. Equally as bad, I've spawned many times with an enemy's back in my crosshairs and have killed people only to have them spawn directly behind me.

Accident said:
I actually used that glitch myself without realizing it. I originally misinterpreted how to level Cold-blooded (I thought you had to get Buzzkills), but then when I realized what I needed to do I shot down a pave low in my first round trying to level it and when I checked the challenge stats afterward I'd gone from 0/40 to 16/40. I had just assumed that different air support had different values.

Chittagong

Gold Member
DeuceMojo said:
o5uzoo.jpg

That's my job!

I'm with you there man, I've started to pack always the Stinger instead of shotgun. I've realized that nobody else bothers shooting down the enemy aircraft, rather easily giving the enemy 500 points per Pave Low. Two of those can quite easily determine the winner of the game which is crazy because shooting them down is super easy. No brainer to me really. I wish people actually keep from shooting them down so I get the massive kills but can always shoot enemy ones down.

Minamu

Captain Obvious, but that spider monkey knife class is useless in hardcore :( Fun while it lasted though. Got my 100 knife kills damn fast. Does anyone feels it's kinda weird to get pistol kills when you use the tactical knife attachment? xD

There's a hundred different things IW could do to "fix" objective based game modes but I think the easiest way is to simply not track deaths. Everyone is so hell bent on having a good k:d ratio that they simply ignore the objective in favor of camping to achieve a k:d > 1 and/or kill-streak bonuses. The other day I was playing domination and my teammate got an AC130. This was excellent as we captured all the points and held them down for approximately 30 seconds, then proceeded to lose all but one for the remainder of the match as he and three to four other guys had no interest in winning. I just don't get it. Most of my friends with a good k:d have a horrible w:l. Do they not think anyone can see this embarrassing stat?

Running around with scavenger and claymores is a hell of a lot of fun when people start getting pissed off at exploding every 5 seconds.

Rust + Scavenger + Claymores = Hilarity

DRE Fei

Yesterday I joined a match just as the opposing team's nuke was exploding. On 2 separate occasions yesterday I also joined matches at the scoreboard screen. Isn't it funny how it never puts you on the winning team in situations like that? Matchmaking is awesome.

Also, everyone and their grandmother is running around with that akimbo 1887 setup now. It's so absurd. I hate how cheesy it is, but on the other hand I love it because it counters the annoying knife guys. The only problem is I don't know the counter-class to it. Maybe some more experienced players can shed some light on this.

LittleTokyo said:
There's a hundred different things IW could do to "fix" objective based game modes but I think the easiest way is to simply not track deaths. Everyone is so hell bent on having a good k:d ratio that they simply ignore the objective in favor of camping to achieve a k:d > 1 and/or kill-streak bonuses. The other day I was playing domination and my teammate got an AC130. This was excellent as we captured all the points and held them down for approximately 30 seconds, then proceeded to lose all but one for the remainder of the match as he and three to four other guys had no interest in winning. I just don't get it. Most of my friends with a good k:d have a horrible w:l. Do they not think anyone can see this embarrassing stat?

It's CoD, winning means absolutely nothing in most game types, you get a few more experience points and that is about it.

CrazedArabMan said:
It's CoD, winning means absolutely nothing in most game types, you get a few more experience points and that is about it.

So you care more about experience points than winning? The problem is everyone wants to be Kobe Bryant and have a great stat line. No one wants to be the other Lakers who know their role and help Kobe look good while helping their team win. I'd personally rather have 50 deaths and win than 50 kills and lose. People need to remember, dying doesn't lose you points...

LittleTokyo said:
So you care more about experience points than winning? The problem is everyone wants to be Kobe Bryant and have a great stat line. No one wants to be the other Lakers who know their role and help Kobe look good while helping their team win. I'd personally rather have 50 deaths and win than 50 kills and lose. People need to remember, dying doesn't lose you points...

No but it gives the opponents points... just as bad.

Minamu

DRE Fei said:
Yesterday I joined a match just as the opposing team's nuke was exploding. On 2 separate occasions yesterday I also joined matches at the scoreboard screen. Isn't it funny how it never puts you on the winning team in situations like that? Matchmaking is awesome.
Matches that have already started/ended won't affect your win/lose stats. i'm pretty certain of it. You can't join a random playlist when there's 5 seconds left & hope it will give you a challenge boost at least. You gotta be in it from the get go (or perhaps join before one team scores any kind of points).

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
noire said:
Ran into that earlier and ended up going like 4 and 15 or some shit. My akimbo p90s were no match :'(

How the hell do you combat that shit? Andycapps was tearing it up that round, but not enough to undo my shit-tastic game.

Its basically impossible if they're talented and stay in close quarters. Akimbo shottys needs to be nerfed imo. The only way to combat that shit on a good player is out range them. Every time I see akimbo shottys I walk backwards as fast as my feet will carry me.

Top Bottom