• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

mbmonk

Kworn said:
XBOX LIVE

I doubt it's worth debating comments that were made on XBL. It's not exactly the place were rational thoughts are expressed.

Everyone on MW2 isn't 'playing to win' David Sirlin style, so they are naturally going to think things are 'cheap'. In a fighting game (until recently) everyone has the same rules and abilities from the start. You pick a character you get access to all his moves from the beginning. So if you are using the really powerful techinque against me, I can choose that character the next match and use it as well. Not so much with this game because of the unlock system. You run around dominating me with akimbo 1887's and I am level 10, I have to wait until I reach level 68 ( or whatever the unlock level is ) until I can use the same overpowered method against you. So until that time I pretty much just have to deal with it.

The unlock system is great, and I much prefer that system to how FPS's used to be. But it seems to make balancing the game even more important, because all the players don't have equal access to the same methods/weapons at a given time.

smik said:
its now widespread

fuck! game is now infested with these javelin suicide glitches, nearly all the games i played tonight had at least 3-4 people doing it per game.

join other several rooms and whadoya know more javelin glitches.

patch this crap asap along with the 1887 so i can get back to enjoying this game.

Yeah...HQ is pretty much unplayable right now.

Sielys

Really, is glitching so rampant as everyone is making it out to be? I've been playing for awhile today (mostly ground war and TDM), and I've only seen the javelin glitch once, the airdrop twice.

Also, I don't see how akimo model 1887's are cheating...I mean, they're in the game right? I haven't unlocked them yet, but I've been killed by them a few times, and they didn't seem to give any unfair advantage.

mbmonk

Sielys said:
Also, I don't see how akimo model 1887's are cheating...I mean, they're in the game right? I haven't unlocked them yet, but I've been killed by them a few times, and they didn't seem to give any unfair advantage.

I don't believe anyone called it cheating. I think overpowered would be a better description.

Sielys

Ok, rather I don't think they're that overpowered though. Their range is better than other shotguns, but still falls short compared to other guns. It's not a distinctly unfair advantage, it's kind of situational actually. I imagine they'd be pretty useless on wasteland.

I've only seen the javelin glitch a couple times and the airdrop glitch once. Every single game has a couple knife runners and 1887 akimbo users though. I'm pretty sure that every time I've seen a tactical nuke it was from 1887 use.

I'm glad I don't run into a lot of the problems some of you seem to have. I'm not sure what the javelin glitch is but I rarely see people with the akimbo's. And if they are in a game with me they don't bother me for two reasons. They're in the game and I'll just keep a look out for them. It seems sometimes people will complain just to complain. But hey, that's just me.

Ganhyun said:
Kosma,

Take a create a class slot.

Layout:

Preferred:

Perk1: Marathon
Perk 2: Danger Close
Perk 3: Anything.
Primary Weapon: whatever
Secondary weapon: any launcher besides thumper (javelin is most widely used)
primary equipment: semtex grenade
secondary: anything.

Basically, you swap to your launcher. From there you hit and hold R1/Right Button like you are cooking said semtex grenade. Then, while still holding R1/Right Button, hit Y/Triangle to swap back to the launcher. From there, once you are shot, your launcher goes off, and with danger close as a perk, pretty much anyone in the room u die in that is an enemy dies. *

*If you climb a ladder or wall, this gets canceled out.
Really? It's that complex?

Other than for means of griefing, it's hard to see why people do that for a few extra kills. It's much easier to run around and shoot a gun normally. :lol

smik said:
its now widespread

fuck! game is now infested with these javelin suicide glitches, nearly all the games i played tonight had at least 3-4 people doing it per game.
I used to be a huge HQ fan, but yaknow, yea exploits!

Even TDM isn't immune I guess. I wondered why I heard like 4 successive enemy care packages being callled in. WhoTF comes up with this shit?

Sielys

The Javelin glitch is you have your Javelin launcher out, then you hold the trigger to throw semtex, and without throwing it, hit the button to switch back to javelin. Now, when you are killed, your javelin explodes immediately. It's like an instant, enormous martyrdom. With danger close perk on, I've seen people kill quad kills doing this. It's really, really annoying. But very infrequent so far, I've only seen it in game a couple of times.

mbmonk

Sielys said:
Ok, rather I don't think they're that overpowered though. Their range is better than other shotguns, but still falls short compared to other guns. It's not a distinctly unfair advantage, it's kind of situational actually. I imagine they'd be pretty useless on wasteland.

Doesn't the 1887 kill at ranges that other shotty's won't? So now I don't have to be 'close' to use a shotgun. It just has this weird mix of sniper one shot kill power with the spread of a shotty and this semi SMG range. It's just seems so much better than everything else you could run with in it's catagory. Then throw on the fact that you only unlock it at level 60+ (see my above post about how that exacerbates the issue).

I feel like they are overpowered, but I am still trying to come up with a method to handle them. A lot of things feel like they are overpowered at first until someone finds a counter.

mbmonk

VGChampion said:
They're in the game and I'll just keep a look out for them.
Would you elaborate? What do you do differently when you know an 1887 akimbo player is in the game? Do you stay out of close quarter areas?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Really? It's that complex?

Other than for means of griefing, it's hard to see why people do that for a few extra kills. It's much easier to run around and shoot a gun normally. :lol

But it's great for clearing out the headquarters.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ExtraKr1spy said:
I hate when a bunch of your team mates die and they spawn them around you so you end up getting exposed to Choppers/AC-130's and predator missles.

The spawn system is very broken.I think they wanted to make it so you spawn with a squad..but the maps are not made for it.
Nothing I hate more then being locked into a spawn location and constantly spawing with team mates as far from objectives as possible or spawning over and over with teammates that are in the crossfire of air support. fucking infuriating.

Minamu

Goddamnit, my friends will out rank me now since my 360 just got it second monday-to-friday RROD >_< Could use some help in the rrod thread please ^^

Rawk Hawk said:
For starters, who ever says flashbangs are nooby? Are you arguing that it's not easier to get a kill with a grenade launcher than an assault rifle? That's normally what 'nOOby' means, you are new and therefore get kills the easiest way possible because your talent isn't high enough to use other weapons.
I don't think anything is noob. In this game you can rock an assault rifle with a GL AND a decent sight. And that means the potential for a multi-kill, arced fire etc.

"It is written, Man shall not live by [BULLET KILLS] alone, but by every [PROJECTILE] that proceedeth out of the mouth of [HIS GUN]." ~One of several apostles, in several verses.
Rawk Hawk said:
The point isn't if using them is fun, but when playing Sabotage and having 5 people stand in viewing range of the bomb and just rain grenades whenever you get near it, it may be comical, but you're blatantly ruining the game. If you can live with that, then bombs away.
I believe Sabotage is pretty balanced. I'm really not sure how grenade spam could ruin things, but I'm damn sure that ridiculous exploits left unpatched wi

Rawk Hawk

DeuceMojo said:
I don't think anything is noob. In this game you can rock an assault rifle with a GL AND a decent sight. And that means the potential for a multi-kill, arced fire etc.

"It is written, Man shall not live by [BULLET KILLS] alone, but by every [PROJECTILE] that proceedeth out of the mouth of [HIS GUN]." ~One of several apostles, in several verses.

Very nice. :D

DeuceMojo said:
I believe Sabotage is pretty balanced. I'm really not sure how grenade spam could ruin things, but I'm damn sure that ridiculous exploits left unpatched wi

Sabotage is probably my least favorite mode because of the bomb camping. If you attempt to pick up the bomb you will hear 4 sniper bullets and 3 grenades come flying at you almost instantly.

That's when you think where you would camp to cover the bomb, and attempt to sneak up behind those campers. What annoys me is when someone picks up a bomb and fucking sits with a sniper the whole round when the rest of the team tries to clear out the bombsites for nothing.

I love S+D the most, personally, but I'm someone who played Counter-Strike for about five years straight so... :D

Eric WK

Sielys said:

Nobody has said it's cheating. I can't blame a single person for using it, but it needs to be fixed.

Most of the other problems are clear exploits only used by cheaters.

Anyone else end up getting to the bomb site to quick in sabotage? I often just peg it with marathon and lightweight, grab the bomb, leg it towards the bomb site, nobody at all is there, i plant the bomb, but then have to defend it on my own !

Rawk Hawk

Another small rant on the game, I wish more than the primary weapon effected run speed. One pistol weighs less than two shotguns. A blast shield weighs more than a throwing knife.

whitehawk

Banned
lol, Just saw my first nuke. Some guy on my team used it. We were losing, and then all of a sudden BOOM! Victory! He ended with 45 kills.

Also played a great game 30 mins ago, I think I had 18 kills and 3 deaths :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Patrick Roy said:
Fixed.

Stop posting on how to do these glitches!

People are going to find out from other forums anyway.

The more rampant the glitching is, the more likely IW will patch them.

I hope.

Ovid

It seems everyone is out to get a nuke. I mean its cool and all but when you play Domination (the only mode I've been playing) the goal is not to kill as many people as you can. Fuck man, I'm really starting to get annoyed with the stupidity of people who "play" this game.

And what the hell is up with those 1887s. I read all the posts about it but never encountered anyone who was good with it. The range on that gun is ridiculous. One shot from a good distance away is just crazy. It's no contest.

This game could've really used a beta, goddamit. I'm thinking of waiting it out until a patch arrives. I'll begrudging return to AC2's arms, at least she treats me well :/

xDangerboy said:
i wouldn't hold your breath waiting
True. That Claymore/Bomb glitch (where you could plant the bomb while switching to your claymores, then hold the bomb and go hide as the counter went down -- it was unbeatable) in COD4 was out there and usable forever, as far as I know.

Who knows when the first patch will hit and what it will address.

X26

Banned
panda21 said:
what is akimbo 1887? those shotguns? there are so many people doing that.. its really annoying.

what annoys me more is people playing tactical games who are obviously trying to keep their K/D ratio up and so are ridiculously cautious and ignore opportunities (or just plain ignore the objective altogether) because they are scared of getting shot.

if they had gotten rid of the overall leaderboard and just had a leaderboard for each mode you wouldn't see nearly as much lame k/d boosting

Rawk Hawk

DeuceMojo said:
True. That Claymore/Bomb glitch (where you could plant the bomb while switching to your claymores, then hold the bomb and go hide as the counter went down -- it was unbeatable) in COD4 was out there and usable forever, as far as I know.

Who knows when the first patch will hit and what it will address.

At this point I thought IW was working on DLC for the game. DLC = $, Patch = Happy customers. I can take a wild stab at which is more important on their list based on the horrible box my game came in.

tarius1210 said:
And what the hell is up with those 1887s. I read all the posts about it but never encountered anyone who was good with it. The range on that gun is ridiculous. One shot from a good distance away is just crazy. It's no contest.
Not sure if you're pro-1887-bitching or anti. I think you're in agreement that the gun creates a ridiculous class for maps like Scrapyard and is highly annoying and a distraction to the people trying to play something even remotely non-Halo-like.

tarius1210 said:
It seems everyone is out to get a nuke. I mean its cool and all but when you play Domination (the only mode I've been playing) the goal is not to kill as many people as you can. Fuck man, I'm really starting to get annoyed with the stupidity of people who "play" this game.

Because IW didn't change the way people get XP in objective based games, every single one of them is basically TDM. Domination, which used to be my favorite game, is now unplayable on these larger maps, with people camping everywhere just waiting for suckers like me to try to get the flag. Insomniac did this right in objective based games -- don't track K/D ratio for them. Fuck, was that so hard?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
from fourzerotwo's twitter:

# @mike_bunnell a bug. Already have the coder responsible for the javelin writting a fix that will be included in the first title update. about 2 hours ago from Tweetie in reply to mike_bunnell

That patch can't come soon enough

Scarecrow

So, I've been mainly playing team deathmatch and free for all, fearing trying the other modes. Is there any attempt at teamwork that goes on in the objective games or does it also suffer from every man for himself?

Rawk Hawk said:
At this point I thought IW was working on DLC for the game. DLC = $, Patch = Happy customers. I can take a wild stab at which is more important on their list based on the horrible box my game came in.
Hah. The horrible booklet that came with my game convinced me these people are totally moneygrubbers. Thank God I don't play anything else by Activision. I would have much preferred a photocopy of crayon-drawn soldier by some IW-related little kid than the bargain-basement manual I got.
X26 said:
if they had gotten rid of the overall leaderboard and just had a leaderboard for each mode you wouldn't see nearly as much lame k/d boosting
Yeah, sounds like the old Ghost Recon leaderboards. That game was never known for k:d whores, which was nice.

X26 said:

Objective-based modes simply shouldn't show your deaths.

Of course, killstreak bonuses are another reason why people are so scared of dying. When you're on a 4-kill-streak, it can be really tempting to hang back and hope you can pick someone off to get that predator missile rather than rushing the objective.

Scarecrow said:
So, I've been mainly playing team deathmatch and free for all, fearing trying the other modes. Is there any attempt at teamwork that goes on in the objective games or does it also suffer from every man for himself?

the game's biggest attraction is also its biggest folly.

When the team score becomes irrelevant, and the bonus for actually completing the objective isn't great enough, teamwork goes out the door.

DeuceMojo said:
Hah. The horrible booklet that came with my game convinced me these people are totally moneygrubbers. Thank God I don't play anything else by Activision. I would have much preferred a photocopy of crayon-drawn soldier by some IW-related little kid than the bargain-basement manual I got.

Yeah, sounds like the old Ghost Recon leaderboards. That game was never known for k:d whores, which was nice.

You dont really need a manual for the game. I can see if you needed one for an RPG or a flight simulator, but most games have tutorials that tell you exactly how to play. COD4s manual was the same way. The only thing I could've seen them really adding to the manual is a complete perk list but meh, half the fun is discovering them.

xDangerboy said:
youd expect that theres different teams for each version, or at least id suspect so.

But regardless, not that bad?

Yes they are that bad. Defending them makes you look like a fanboy.

These "not that bad issues" are things that real developers don't let reach the final product.

These "not that bad issues" are interfering with everyone's attempt to play the game legit and causing the game to lose its fun. Fun, i.e. the whole point of a game.

Even playing with the idea of making excuses for them is flat out stupid.

Am i a game designer? of course not. But the quality of MW2 is not my responsibility, its theres.

A trait that they are seriously lacking right now.

I'm starting to think you've never played an online FPS before with this "It must be perfect out of the box!" mentality. No FPS is, and almost every one of them I've played have run into the same exact problems.

P.S.
Fanboy? :lol
Like I'm not here calling out problems on a daily basis.

X26

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Objective-based modes simply shouldn't show your deaths..

Yea that's even better. Captures, defensive kills, offensive kills, no k/d. Every modes leaderboard could have been unique like that and made the MP better, but god forbid IW doesn't cater to the tards who play 24/7 boostign k/d as if it means sometihng

X26 said:
Yea that's even better. Captures, defensive kills, offensive kills, no k/d. Every modes leaderboard could have been unique like that and made the MP better, but god forbid IW doesn't cater to the tards who play 24/7 boostign k/d as if it means sometihng

Scoreboards should show:

TDM/FFA: Score - Kills - Deaths - Suicides
HQ/DOM/CTF: Score - Kills - Offensive Kills - Defensive Kills - Caps
SAB/S&D/DEM: Score - Kills - Plants - Defuses

I will give them credit for at least trying. Note that in DOM/HQ/etc you get XP bonuses for offensive and defensive kills, making it theoretically more valuable to play the objective than to play the middle of the map. It's just not enough.

SUPREME1

Banned
People whining about 1887's?

Lol. Yeah it's annoying, but it's not cheating. It's an available weapon to all those who've reached that level. If you know someone is in close-quarters with 1887 akimbo and think they're too deadly... STAY THE F*CK OUT.

Or be a badass yourself and go hunt him down.

ImperialConquest said:

Lol. Yeah it's annoying, but it's not cheating. It's an available weapon to all those who've reached that level. If you know someone is in close-quarters with 1887 akimbo and think they're too deadly... STAY THE F*CK OUT.

So far they haven't been an issue for me. I've run into those guys, but they haven't been dominating the match and I kill them just fine. I do mostly play with range though and tend to attack the enemies back, so maybe my play style just helps me avoid them.

ImperialConquest said:

obviously does not understand the concept of weapon balance

mbmonk

ImperialConquest said:

For the 3rd time on this page of the thread, nobody is calling it cheating.

Top Bottom