• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Mileena

Banned
Pookaki said:
Wasteland feels so archaic. I cant really recall too many other COD2 maps, but there had to have been a better choice for MW2. With all the air support that map turns out to be a mess in all regards.
It's a CoD1 map and yea pretty much anything would have been better. Dawnville and Railyard deserve a spot in MW2.

corkscrewblow said:
It's a CoD1 map and yea pretty much anything would have been better. Dawnville and Railyard deserve a spot in MW2.
It was in COD2 also right? or is my memory betraying me? Regardless, that map shows how far the gameplay and the games MP level design has come.

Narag

Pookaki said:
Wasteland feels so archaic. I cant really recall too many other COD2 maps, but there had to have been a better choice for MW2. With all the air support that map turns out to be a mess in all regards.

I still feel it should be confined to objective-based matches or groundwar. 6 on 6 TDM highlights how empty it is.

I really wish IW had tweaked the Melee Knife Lunge of Death from COD4.

If a dude is running at me and I put 2-3 rounds into him, he should not be able to lunge full speed at me with his knife. And the Commando perk just makes it even worse.

I think Gears 2 added something where if a dude is revving his chainsaw near you and you shoot him it stuns him and slows him down. I wish they would add in something like that.

And I didn't play for like 5 days over the break and come back and the Akimbo 1887's are everywhere. :lol

Sielys

So the Javelin glitch won't be taken out until the next update, which is currently scheduled...March '10. Long time away folks.

EDIT: Looks like I might have gotten the DLC and the update mixed. Sorry for the confusion!

andycapps

Zinthar said:
Like one of the previous posters, I also took a week-long break from MW2 when I was out of town for Thanksgiving.

I came back to playing last night and geez, the online play has REALLY changed startlingly in the last week.

I doubt that IW foresaw such a huge % of people making knife-based Commando classes, or the Akimbo 1887 classes. Both are beatable, but it completely changes the way the multiplayer works, and basically makes you sit back with a HBS and camp most of the time.

I'll keep playing, but it definitely sours the experience. I'm betting that the M16 is a much better weapon to use against these players because it may be better at killing a player running moving very quickly w/ the 3-round burst.

As is, I'm finding that I'm moving back to the TAR from the SCAR because of the fire rate for now (as a lvl 37). Any other suggested classes for the way MW2 multi is now (for a sub-lvl40 player)??

The M16 I've found works best on wide open maps with a lot of space. Medium or smaller maps, the SCAR is better because it's full auto. The 3 shot burst can screw you over on short range with the M16 if you miss that first burst.

Edit: If the first title update isn't until March '10 I might peace out once I level up completely. The issues in this are pretty unacceptable and I'm used to developers that support their fanbase and fix issues when the game is broken.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BPK said:
Damn, judging by some of the comments on here this game was a massive disappointment. Am I right? Or is it simply that whiners are always more vocal than those playing and enjoying the game.

I'm not picking this up until Christmas (concentrating on school), but on average how good are the multiplayer levels? Are they creative and are they fun?

So people posting things they don't like are now called whiners? Really? No need to go to such extremes.

I just see people talking about flaws and ways they can be fixed. Even with the flaws I am having a good time with the MP portion of the game. Though it seems at the moment to really be successful, you have to play in a fashion I don't find fun.

Here is a video of a good player - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkyUohN612w&feature=channel

Mileena

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
So people posting things they don't like are now called whiners? Really? No need to go to such extremes.

I just see people talking about flaws and ways they can be fixed. Even with the flaws I am having a good time with the MP portion of the game. Though it seems at the moment to really be successful, you have to play in a fashion I don't find fun.

Here is a video of a good player - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdb0nqdyvY4
That guy has horrible aim. How do you shoot a full clip of M16 and not kill someone :lol :lol

Accident

Sielys said:
So the Javelin glitch won't be taken out until the next update, which is currently scheduled...March '10. Long time away folks.

The first map pack will be available in march, there will be a title update soon.

fourzerotwo: Already have the coder responsible for the javelin writting a fix that will be included in the first title update.

J-Rzez

BPK said:
Damn, judging by some of the comments on here this game was a massive disappointment. Am I right? Or is it simply that whiners are always more vocal than those playing and enjoying the game.

I'm not picking this up until Christmas (concentrating on school), but on average how good are the multiplayer levels? Are they creative and are they fun?

Naw, the game is "fun", but the issues it suffers from are incredibly glaring. There are SO many damn glitches/bugs/perk and weapon imbalances that it is really SHOCKING this game made release like this, and surprise-surprise, reviewers didn't pick up on them or just ignored them.

The lack of a proper beta really hurt this game big time. It's so frustrating that my enjoyment really comes from griefing and trash talking. It had potential, but IW wanted the money and apparently didn't care about their community, again.

As far as map design goes, probably some of the most elementary/poorly designed maps I've ever seen in such a high profile game. IW should've taken the larger budget.

corkscrewblow said:
Seriously? IW is a fucking piece of shit.

If that is true, IW gets far too much credit. They're terribad for treating their community like this, which is even worse than in MW1. I wish their key talents would jump ship and go to a new studio with proper philosophies, preferably 1st party to MS or Sony.

I remember Call of Duty 4 had a ton of matchmaking problems when it launched and 402 promised a patch in December '07...and it didn't come out until February '08.

And for the record, 402 said DLC is coming in March. No one has said anything about the timetable for the first patch.

J-Rzez said:
Naw, the game is "fun", but the issues it suffers from are incredibly glaring. There are SO many damn glitches/bugs/perk and weapon imbalances that it is really SHOCKING this game made release like this, and surprise-surprise, reviewers didn't pick up on them or just ignored them.

The lack of a proper beta really hurt this game big time. It's so frustrating that my enjoyment really comes from griefing and trash talking. It had potential, but IW wanted the money and apparently didn't care about their community, again.

As far as map design goes, probably some of the most elementary/poorly designed maps I've ever seen in such a high profile game. IW should've taken the larger budget.

If that is true, IW gets far too much credit. They're terribad for treating their community like this, which is even worse than in MW1. I wish their key talents would jump ship and go to a new studio with proper philosophies, preferably 1st party to MS or Sony.

This pretty much sums it up. At it's best, it's fun, but it's very rarely at it's best. Balance issues, glitches, and "meh" levels. Honestly, any game with millions of players will have glitches, as the community is always looking for them, and balance issues can be tweaked with updates, but the level design is just extremely disappointing. Most of the levels range from bad to okay. Terminal is probably the only level I actually "like," pretty sad for the supposed most anticipated game of the whatever.

J-Rzez said:

To be fair these issues were not apparent to the reviewers because they were not exposed to them in the time frame that they had to write the review. 1887s are unlocked at 67? The huge bugs started surfacing 1 1/2 or 2 weeks after launch? Map enjoyment is completely subjective. You can't expect big publications to delay their reviews for that long. By then the game is old news. It sucks but that is the way reviews go. The first week of MP in this game was a blast.

DuckRacer

AnEternalEnigma said:
I remember Call of Duty 4 had a ton of matchmaking problems when it launched and 402 promised a patch in December '07...and it didn't come out until February '08.
Yeah, I just checked the release dates for the first CoD4 patch and it released on February 29th on 360 and in March on PS3. Hopefully the MW2 patch won't be nearly as slow to release!

Cohsae

Pookaki said:
To be fair these issues were not apparent to the reviewers because they were not exposed to them in the time frame that they had to write the review. 1887s are unlocked at 67? The huge bugs started surfacing 1 1/2 or 2 weeks after launch? Map enjoyment is completely subjective. You can't expect big publications to delay their reviews for that long. By then the game is old news. It sucks but that is the way reviews go. The first week of MP in this game was a blast.
And this here is why multiplayer should never be reviewed at launch.

Cohsae said:
This.

Too bad it wont ever happen.

J-Rzez said:
:lol

This is a proper example of the bullshit you deal with in the game due to horrid design. If the guy was a good shot, it would end up in a nuke within a few minutes.

Bad example in my opinion. If the opposing team had any sort of common sense they would get that guy. the Javelin can lock on to that rooftop. With danger close that would kill him AND destroy his tactical insertion. Not one person even threw a grenade up there. There are so many tools the game gives you to combat this kind of stuff. But you have to step out of your comfort zone and try something different in order to get results.

No_Style

I see MW2 as a 9 v 9 game. Most of the maps feel spacious enough to handle those numbers with less room for successful holding of areas like the one in the video. I don't believe that guy in the video video would have survived as long as he did within a Ground War game. And we can't forget the fact that some of those people he was playing with were not paying close enough attention.

I also don't mind reviewers reviewing multiplayer. Like with all reviews, it's their opinion with the game. It's up to people to understand the fact that they didn't invest weeks worth of time with it.

EazyB

Banned
Just played a game on highrise where almost everyone was using the care package exploit. It was actually pretty fun, everyone zipping around using throwing knifes and super-lunging at one another.

There were 3 or 4 unopened care packages on each team because we all just threw them up onto the roofs. :lol

Ten-Song

Cohsae said:

Well, if that was the case, then there would never be a decent time to review a multiplayer game. Balance isn't something that can magically be fixed once before the multiplayer community becomes a static entity. And if any change comes from a patch or whatever that would be an argument that the review is void, or that the game is still unable to be reviewed.

My brother just had a pretty hilarious death. His teammate and enemy were going at it, he decides to chuck the sticky grenade. Hist teammate wins the exchange but his sticky hits his teammate who then runs in his direction and kills him. Everybody was like "WTF, how did you die?". But then I quickly figured it out and we had a good laugh. I don't think they had a achievement for that, they should if there isn't one, that was awesome.

Wow, I haven't played the game in like three days and already these glitches have become widespread. Will probably hop on later to see if I run into anything.

Pkm said:
I was wondering, when you prestige what do you lose and what do
you get to keep?

I dont wanna lose my Emblems/Titles :(
You dont lose any emblems or titles. You gain a custom class slot and special prestige challenges.

You lose all the gun/attachments and perks. You have to unlock them again.

Disguises

Pkm said:
I was wondering, when you prestige what do you lose and what do
you get to keep?

I dont wanna lose my Emblems/Titles :(
Pookaki said:
You dont lose any emblems or titles. You gain a custom class slot and special prestige challenges.

You lose all the gun/attachments and perks. You have to unlock them again.
You also lose all of the challenges that have been completed (I sometimes wish there was a way to show how many times certain ones have been completed - especially the tough ones)

Chrange

Banned
J-Rzez said:
:lol

This is a proper example of the bullshit you deal with in the game due to horrid design. If the guy was a good shot, it would end up in a nuke within a few minutes.

What bullshit though? It's a guy who shoots people who run around like idiots, not looking around corners (or checking the radar for enemy shots) or at elevated terrain. I mean a guy kills him RIGHT NEXT to his tactical insertion, and doesn't - for some reason - think that he'll spawn there.

That should have been two kills for the guy, instead of a payback for the person making the video. Then later another player destroys the insertion, video dude runs in front of him and...the guy doesn't move at all?

You keep talking about "horrid design" but that video is more about shitty players.

j-wood

Can I get some advice? For the past two days my ping has been absolutely horrible. Every game i get into has red bars, occasionally will jump to green, but then goes back to red (for some reason, when I'm watching kill cams, I have full green bars, once I start playing again it's back to red.)

The game says my NAT type is open, I'm on the PS3, no static IP, no DMZ, media servers enabled.

Has their network just been messed up here lately? It was playing fine a week ago, but not at all these past two days. I mean not even playable. I do nothing but rubber band. I have 20 meg cable internet.

rareside

The javelin glitch is completely hilarious. I want to play a match with everyone using it just to see what kind of huge chain reaction can be created.

Kibbles said:
FIX THE FUCKING GLITCHES. FOR FUCKS SAKES. This game is unplayable in Matchmaking. It's like GoW2 all over again.

I swear I was thinking that before I clicked on this thread. Last night I got killed multiple time's from a speedy gonzalez knife wielding maniac. I lost a FFA match because 2 guys were jerking off in the corner untill they exploded a Nuke. These are balance problems that I doubt will be fixed with a patch.

Disguises said:
You also lose all of the challenges that have been completed (I sometimes wish there was a way to show how many times certain ones have been completed - especially the tough ones)

I'm not sure if they do, but I think the Prestige challenges(glowing green) dont reset. Dont quote me on this.

tsigo

I'm torn on prestige. I actually completed "How the?", "Think Fast" and "Think Fast (Stun)" legitimately, none of which I ever managed to do in all of CoD4, and I'll probably never get them again =/

SmokeMaxX

Rock glitch in Afghan is only frustrating the first time you die by it per match. It's insanely easy to kill the guy in the rock once you know they're there. At least it's not like Cod4 or Cod5's "one way out" shooting where they're invincible to bullets.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have a question about the Campaign: How does the game check point? Does it do it after "x amount" of enemies have been killed or once you progress past a certain area on the map? I can't ever figure it out.

For the most part I love how often the game check points you, but I wish I knew the criteria for what determines when a new check point is created. It seems random at times, since I play through a level different times and get check pointed at different spots.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
OldJadedGamer said:
I play hardcore exclusively and haven't seen any of the "glitches" people are talking about.

Probably because the Javelin glitch would kill more friendlies then enemies. Shit is fucking rampant in Headquarters =/.

steadfast

tsigo said:
I'm torn on prestige. I actually completed "How the?", "Think Fast" and "Think Fast (Stun)" legitimately, none of which I ever managed to do in all of CoD4, and I'll probably never get them again =/

You get to keep the titles though, even if you don't do them again you'll still have the nameplate to prove you did at one point. Pretty much the only reason I'll consider prestieging is because of that.

Top Bottom