• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

How do you get that Epic title I thought it was kill ten people with one killstreak. So I just got a chopper gunner and got 12 kills? Is that not what it means? Or do I need to have that challenge available first?

amar212

TheSeks said:
"Dogs? How do we beat that... Wait, NUKES!"

Dogs. Beautiful dogs. Would be the ultimate camper solution.

Just imagine.

So sad IW probably thought it would copy/paste Treyarch's "idea".

web01 said:
How can anyone say shotguns are overpowered?
Thats absolutely ridiculous, they are effective within a few meters like they should be.

Considering that you can die with a couple bullets to the legs from across the map (stopping power make this even worse) with any rifle, I think the arguments of shotguns being overpower is just stupid. Stop getting angry because you died to a shotgun user and get on with the game.

Its a tactical decision to choose a shotgun for clearing smaller areas rather than taking a launcher to shoot down enemy air support and its a fair trade off.

I completely agree.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
kitch9 said:
Thermal sights restrict your peripheral vision to nothing and the heartbeat sensor refreshes pretty slowly. You end using it like a metal detector and leave yourself wide open. I use a good set of Sennheiser headphones and footsteps give me a better idea where somebody is. Its almost like a sixth sense.
If you use the heartbeat and pay attention you'll have an advantage over anyone who isn't using it, and obviously if you just sit around only watching the sensor you're going to do terrible.

Nyx

Nelo Ice said:
im so addicted to collecting titles and emblems :lol
damn iw for adding them!

I desperately want the <3 title, and last night I managed to kill someone and myself while holding a grenade, but I didn't get the sign. ;(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Nyx said:
I desperately want the <3 title, and last night I managed to kill someone and myself while holding a grenade, but I didn't get the sign. ;(

did u kill urself and the other guy by cooking the nade? u should've gotten it if u did that

Nyx

Nelo Ice said:
did u kill urself and the other guy by cooking the nade? u should've gotten it if u did that

It seemed like it for sure, I was holding RB, ran into a bunker hoping someone would be in it, and there was he was, *bam*, got 100 points for a kill and died myself.

But no title..

I probably missed something then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UFRA said:
Any tips on the last 2 Spec Ops missions against all juggernauts??? D:

If you don't care about using a glitch/AI exploit, for the first Juggernaut mission, you can look for videos on youtube showing how you can finish that level by just knifing them to death.

Lince

Banned
so players with a legit copy of the game and original not modded hardware can be banned now just by using a simple combination of inputs in the controller? give me a break, what about those abusing the rock glitch? IW get a free pass for everything. Had this issue been found in a low profile title Microsoft would be publicly urging the devs to fix it instead of taking the ban hammer out for a walk. We need more competent QA teams and less "let's blame and punish the players for every flaw the game shows" bullshit.

Nyx

buy teh haloz said:
Also, it might not count if you haven't unlocked the challenge for it yet.

You have to unlock a challenge for it first ?

Any idea how ?

He may have killed you right before the grenade went off. The grenade has to kill you and him.

Was thinking of this too, but then it really was a matter of milliseconds.

Ten-Song

Nyx said:
You have to unlock a challenge for it first ?

Any idea how ?

Just a challenge that you get while leveling up called "Misery loves company" if I remember correctly. Forget what level it unlocks at though.

Raide

Tokubetsu said:
Got the blunt trauma tag by trolling some dudes on Karachi I think. Am I cool now?

:lol

Totally.

I managed to kill someone with a stun grenade and then someone else with an un-exploded noob-tube round. :D

Any tips for the throwing knife? I just go full stealth perks and thrown them at people from 2 foot away :lol I am rubbish at range with them.

Tokubetsu

Raide said:

Totally.

I managed to kill someone with a stun grenade and then someone else with an un-exploded noob-tube round. :D

Any tips for the throwing knife? I just go full stealth perks and thrown them at people from 2 foot away :lol I am rubbish at range with them.

Throwing knife paybacks are the best.

Nyx

Ten-Song said:
Just a challenge that you get while leveling up called "Misery loves company" if I remember correctly. Forget what level it unlocks at though.

Ah, checked it just now and you need to be lvl 41 for it, that explains it all as I'm lvl 35.

Thanks for the info.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I was playing Ground War, and an idiot by the name of [RWQ1]JDBIGDUKE428 was using the Javelin exploit. Unlucky for him that I have a nice capturing setup and will now make him famous :). After the game, I told him and the other players that IW is working with MS to ban people off live for using it. He connected his headset as if to respond, but then left the game :lol

Everyone in the match reported him for cheating after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5JZYkuu5pY

HD version should be processed soon.

j-wood

Has IW said anything about fixing spec ops in ps3 version? I can't play a single game with a friend over the internet without HORRIBLE lag. I'm talking constant rubberbanding.

Dot50Cal said:
I was playing Ground War, and an idiot by the name of [RWQ1]JDBIGDUKE428 was using the Javelin exploit. Unlucky for him that I have a nice capturing setup and will now make him famous :). After the game, I told him and the other players that IW is working with MS to ban people off live for using it. He connected his headset as if to respond, but then left the game :lol

Lince

Banned
Dot50Cal said:

[RWQ1]JDBIGDUKE428 uses the Javelin exploit in MW2. Watch the names in the lower left. I only encountered him once while the video was recording, but its enough to get him banned for 2 weeks from Live.

nothing personal I respect you but I laughed at this, uploading this along with his Live handle it's borderline pathetic IMO. So much trouble for probably a poor 12 years old kid having fun with a combination of buttons that IW put into the game for some reason and will be fixed this week, better off contacting IW asking for a decent QA next time around, last I heard they had enough money for that.

Lince said:
nothing personal I respect you but I laughed at this, so much trouble for probably a poor 12 years old kid having fun with a combination of buttons that IW put into the game for some reason, better off contacting IW asking for a decent QA next time around, last I heard they had enough money for that.

Its not about that. No matter how much is time spent bug testing glitches will always make it through any game. IMO its more important what they do afterward managing the glitches whether its completely eliminating them via patches or banning players who should know better.

Which is why every game should make their game able to produce a popup with a message. Publicly stating NOT to do the glitch isn't enough because not everyone goes online and visits forum and reads twitters by the company. They need to be able to tell everyone when they log in to the game "If you do "Glitch Here" You will get banned, plain and simple"

Its like guns don't kill people people do, we are the ones ruining this game by using it. BTW I'm not using that shit.

And that's why we cant have nice things!

PS This game is seriously addicting I played with friends for an hour or two and then they had to go I kept saying one more game and its now 8 in the morning and I just shut off the game after a 10 or so hour session. Freaking crazy I haven't done one of those since Mass Effect.

Az

GodfatherX said:
so the majority of my group has vowed not to play mp until the following issues are fixed:
-overpowered shotguns
-thermal
-heartbeat sensor
-akimbo 1887s
-care package glitch
-care package sprint speed
-javelin glitch

honestly I think the main issue for most is the javelin glitch, but i agree that all of the above needs some addressing, but im sure most of them will be back if the javelin is fixed

Might as well sell the game then. The thermal sucks and the heartbeatsenser is slow as hell.

winnarps

Last night was the first time I logged on in over a week.

Of course we get matched against a team of 5 guys who keep saying in the lobby 'no glitching, okay?'.

So we're like, 'sure, you get banned for the glitches now anyway'.

We get in the game, and all they do is Javelin glitch. First time I've ever seen it, but it was pretty crazy. A lot of my team couldn't figure out how to counter it, so we ended up losing.

I just found high points on the map and shot from long range. Also, ducking behind corners immediately after firing at a javglitcher (if he's nearby) seemed to work pretty well.

I was just really surprised at how much range that Javelin explosion has. It feels like it has a 40-50 yard radius (dunno if Danger Close affects this).

Lince

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
every game should make their game able to produce a popup with a message. Publicly stating NOT to do the glitch isn't enough because not everyone goes online and visits forum and reads twitters by the company. They need to be able to tell everyone when they log in to the game "If you do "Glitch Here" You will get banned.

I like this idea, having a motd everytime you connect to the matchmaking server... "we are aware about the (insert glitch here) issue and already working on a fix for it, don't use it in public games or this (insert actions) could be taken against you"

EazyB

Banned
Lince said:
nothing personal I respect you but I laughed at this, uploading this along with his Live handle it's borderline pathetic IMO. So much trouble for probably a poor 12 years old kid having fun with a combination of buttons that IW put into the game for some reason and will be fixed this week, better off contacting IW asking for a decent QA next time around, last I heard they had enough money for that.
Agreed. I think the javelin players are annoying as fuck but I don't think it's grounds for banning nor do I believe IW or MS will actually ban people for this. Some 12 year old puts his copy of MW2 in to find everyone running around blowing themselves up, maybe he puts up with it for a little while but inevitably asks someone in the lobby how to do it, he finds out, starts doing it, is successful with it, and continues to do it. Excuse me if IW sent a notification out through the game but to expect even a remote portion of the MW2 player base to follow some no-name's twitter or visit IW.net every day is absurd.

Those javelin player's are IW's problem, maybe they'll think twice before releasing a game without a beta or spending a shitload of money on QA if they really don't want to release a beta, but punishing players who take advantage of this isn't the way to go about it.

xxjuicesxx said:
Its like guns don't kill people people do, we are the ones ruining this game by using it. BTW I'm not using that shit.

And that's why we cant have nice things!
Correction: that's why developers shouldn't ship broken things! Because players will find whatever gives them that advantage or helps greif other players. Developers should understand this and it's on them to make sure it's as polished as possible. If all this shit can be found within a week or two of the game's release than all of that shit and probably more (things we've yet to see) could've been ironed out during a month long beta. Of course that probably won't iron out all the glitches, but a good chunk of them. I can excuse developers when a exploit is found months and especially years after release, as those were probably hard enough that a beta could not have found them, but releasing a game that gets exploited from hell to breakfast just a week after launching is embarassing, especially for the most played online game.

kitch9

Banned
Ikuu said:
If you use the heartbeat and pay attention you'll have an advantage over anyone who isn't using it, and obviously if you just sit around only watching the sensor you're going to do terrible.

Its not something I worry about anymore. I did until I got it and realised its a pain in the ass. :D

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i'm boggled by the number of people that feel cheating in a game and glitching doesn't deserve a ban...SERIOUSLY?

Douchbaggery at its finest.

I think MS should ban them all till the patch goes live even if it takes a month.
Cheating Douchbags are the bane of online games.

GodfatherX said:
so the majority of my group has vowed not to play mp until the following issues are fixed:
-overpowered shotguns
-thermal
-heartbeat sensor
-akimbo 1887s
-care package glitch
-care package sprint speed
-javelin glitch

honestly I think the main issue for most is the javelin glitch, but i agree that all of the above needs some addressing, but im sure most of them will be back if the javelin is fixed

You're seriously going to complain about thermal and HBS? Seriously? HBS isn't even all that strong and is easy to counter (what else are you going to use on perk slot 3 anyway?). And Cold-Blooded counters thermal, so just make stealth classes if those things bother you.
Or just suck less.

Shotguns in general are not overpowered, but I would agree that they shouldn't be allowed to go akimbo without their accuracy going completely to shit.

The care package marker sprint speed is, as has been said countless times before, totally okay! You're giving up your ability to do anything other than use the knife, which means you lose every single ranged encounter automatically.

And the javelin glitch should be fixed soon, hopefully along with the infinite care package glitch (which, although obnoxious when they do manage to pull it off, is very difficult and rarely occurs).

andycapps

I don't see why everyone's so upset about shotguns in the game and everything else. The fact that people are mentioning so many things that need to be changed or removed is proof that all these are in there as options to counter the other things that you listed. If you're getting destroyed by someone because of their class, and you can't get to them with yours, change it.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Played a horrible match on Scrapyard last night. Three guys stood in the back corner calling in care packages all game... sigh.

EazyB said:
Correction: that's why developers shouldn't ship broken things! Because players will find whatever gives them that advantage or helps greif other players. Developers should understand this and it's on them to make sure it's as polished as possible. If all this shit can be found within a week or two of the game's release than all of that shit and probably more (things we've yet to see) could've been ironed out during a month long beta. Of course that probably won't iron out all the glitches, but a good chunk of them. I can excuse developers when a exploit is found months and especially years after release, as those were probably hard enough that a beta could not have found them, but releasing a game that gets exploited from hell to breakfast just a week after launching is embarassing, especially for the most played online game.

Blame Activision, not IW. Activision would have to sink the costs for the beta, and I bet you dollars to donuts that some suits in a boardroom had convinced themselves that a beta would cost them sales. I can just see the conversations:

"If we give them a beta, they'll get to play our game for free! Then they'll have had enough and won't want to buy it!"

"If we give them a beta, and it's not good enough for them, they won't think the game will be good and won't buy it!"

"Those poor
s
uckers will buy whatever we put out there at launch anyway; so why spend the money on a free beta?"

"Hey, what are the odds we could charge them for the beta?????"

Just be glad Activision had the good sense not to try that last one.

about the ending of this game:

so you got a knife in your chest/stomach area. then you crawl trying to reach the gun... on your stomach.... while having that knife there... didnt this strike anyone as a bit too ridiculous? i mean you're flat on your stomach on the ground, that big knife would have went even deeper and come out from your back or something. so stupid.

Dot50Cal said:

...WTF kind of bitchassness is this? Seriously, that's a bitch move. He didn't alter the code, no modding, nor did he "hack" IW's servers, etc. Nothing on the ground for being banned.

So he is exploiting a glitch ALREADY in the game, it sucks I know, but it sure as hell isn't anything of a bannable offense. Until IW fucking fixes the problem, maybe you should chill out. Also you do realize you could be called out for harassment? I should report your bitch-ass.

Disclaimer: I do not use any of the exploits nor do I condone their usage. IW, fix this! I miss the old MW2 thread...

EazyB

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Blame Activision, not IW. Activision would have to sink the costs for the beta, and I bet you dollars to donuts that some suits in a boardroom had convinced themselves that a beta would cost them sales. I can just see the conversations:

"If we give them a beta, they'll get to play our game for free! Then they'll have had enough and won't want to buy it!"

"If we give them a beta, and it's not good enough for them, they won't think the game will be good and won't buy it!"

"Those poor
s
uckers will buy whatever we put out there at launch anyway; so why spend the money on a free beta?"

"Hey, what are the odds we could charge them for the beta?????"

Just be glad Activision had the good sense not to try that last one.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Activision at the root of this but my faith in IW is shaky at best now as well. The CoD4 beta really was the reason that game took off as fast as it did, make a great sampler, and people will always go back for the full deal. That's why, if a publisher believes in their product (which I assume Activision did) they'd have absolutely no hesitation to release a beta. But it's also true that CoD6's sales were guaranteed no matter the quality of the game so maybe the number crunchers at Activision HQ decided they'd add a few more million to their piles of millions by dodging a beta. Still, it seems shortsighted (though when it comes to making the quick buck regardless of long-term effects
GH and TH franchise
Activision is no stranger) and I'd think IW would have enough pull and autonomy (e.g. Blizzard) that they could do what they felt was best for their game.

Personally, I want to believe IW was just short on time and couldn't deliver a polished enough beta for a November release so they crunched and did what they could to ship it when they had to. The problem is we'd have to assume Activision has IW so tight by the balls that they not only couldn't say they were pressed for time but were manipulating into boasting about how their QA would do a good enough job.

And by the way, with pre-order exclusive beta/demo access (which is pretty much a paid demo) being used by publishers far less "evil" than Activision, I wouldn't be surprised to see a paid beta for a future CoD game. Hell I'd rather they do that and let a bunch of sorry saps who would pay Activision to test their product do so than have the game come out of the gates with so many problems. Whatever pleases the number crunchers.

R2D4

Banned
astroturfing said:
about the ending of this game:

so you got a knife in your chest/stomach area. then you crawl trying to reach the gun... on your stomach.... while having that knife there... didnt this strike anyone as a bit too ridiculous? i mean you're flat on your stomach on the ground, that big knife would have went even deeper and come out from your back or something. so stupid.

This is the same game that has Russia invading the country and starting WWIII because they find an undercover CIA agent after 100 people get shot at an airport.

andycapps

R2D4 said:
This is the same game that has Russia invading the country and starting WWIII because they find an undercover CIA agent after 100 people get shot at an airport.

Pretty much, the whole story has so much wrong with it that to nitpick that is forgetting the previous 95% of the game that didn't make any sense. Still an enjoyable campaign, just don't try to find all the plot holes as you'll go crazy.

Assembly Required said:
...WTF kind of bitchassness is this? Seriously, that's a bitch move. He didn't alter the code, no modding, nor did he "hack" IW's servers, etc. Nothing on the ground for being banned.

So he is exploiting a glitch ALREADY in the game, it sucks I know, but it sure as hell isn't anything of a bannable offense. Until IW fucking fixes the problem, maybe you should chill out. Also you do realize you could be called out for harassment? I should report your bitch-ass.

Disclaimer: I do not use any of the exploits nor do I condone their usage. IW, fix this! I miss the old MW2 thread...
You guys do know that the punishment for being caught exploiting glitches is only a 1 day to a week suspension right?

R2D4 said:

i know but Russia invading is not physically impossible. that didnt ruin the immersion for me (completely at least). that knife thing in the ending just seemed like IW didnt know what the fuck they were doing when they designed that scene. seems sloppy to me. why not just have him
crawl more on his side or something?

itsgreen

Assembly Required said:

Yeah too bad Stepto thinks exactly the same as most of us. Ban those fuckers.

Top Bottom