• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Been playing for about an hour now on PS3. Solid 60 frames even in some intense battles. IW already put out a patch and I know exactly what it does. It removes trophies from being viewed or unlock probably until the game officially releases. Very fun so far.

LowParry

Oiy. I'm not sure what to do. Buy the 360 version and get a new system by the end of the month, or just bite the bullet and roll with the PC version (which I have full pre paid at Gamestop).

CcrooK said:
Oiy. I'm not sure what to do. Buy the 360 version and get a new system by the end of the month, or just bite the bullet and roll with the PC version (which I have full pre paid at Gamestop).
why don't you just get the 360 bundle?

Wallach

SP on Veteran is kicking my ass all over again. More intense than the first campaign IMO, though I think there's a couple different spots I'd like to never do again.

The whole "blood-on-screen" effect is really, really annoying though. Apparently no matter where I get shot in this game blood shoots across my face and eyes. Game is hard enough on Veteran without being blinded by my own bodily fluids.

LowParry

WretchedTruman said:
why don't you just get the 360 bundle?

Well, since I have the game fully pre paid for already, I just need to go the Arcade route for a 360. If I can come up with $100 by Saturday, I'd go take advantage of that WalMart deal. Money's a little tight around this year. Holiday's and all that crap.

yes we can said:
Been playing for about an hour now on PS3. Solid 60 frames even in some intense battles. IW already put out a patch and I know exactly what it does. It removes trophies from being viewed or unlock probably until the game officially releases. Very fun so far.

I don't know about you, but i see trophies after i restart the game.

Taking a break after playing for about 3 hours on the PS3. Some impressions:

Looks great, but its not a day and night improvement over COD4, more of an incremental change. Game looks sharper, the framerate is very steady. There are some dips, but nothing substantial, the only place I really noticed them was in
the favela
and even that was because it dipped for 3-4 seconds.

Gameplay is same intense action you'd expect from COD4, but there have been some nice additions so far which I enjoyed. One particular thing I liked was
controlling the predator drones
... that was fun, and I hope there are more similar sections later in hte game.

The story has me hooked. There was a nice twist and I can kinda see where the story is going, but there have been some nice surprises so far. The "controversial" level is... well... controversial. We'll see how the mainstream media approaches the story... it wasnt THAT bad, but I tried explaining to someone who doesnt play video games and he was horrified. We'll see.

All in all, its Call of Duty, just sharper and sexier. And thats fine with me. Whatever the issues with Infinity Ward and Activision are, you have to hand it to them... they can make a damn fine game.

Go buy it.

Az

Wow, just got done playing 5-6 hours straight. A bit of SP and MP mixed.

Had two of my Cod4 buddies come over so we switched up every game. We are all impressed, even though it does feel like a different game except the controls.

Normal TDM u die so quick, I haven't tried hardcore but it makes it seem like you would die if someone just pointed the cross at you :lol .

cameltoe

finished on veteren in under 6 hours....

Looks pretty much the same as cod 4, textures look about the same..

I enjoyed this as much as cod 4 sp...

There were a few spots where fps dropped...

gonna hit the MP tomorrow. You cannot disable aim assist!! Fuck you IW!!!

360 version BTW

snack

cameltoe said:

360 version BTW

Yeah, it definitely licks. Aim Assist shouldn't have been implemented into the online portion of the game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
cameltoe said:

360 version BTW

How was Veteran? Respawning enemies? One shot kills?

gbovo

Strider2K99 said:
PS3 footage has been out awhile now, but most of them get taken down quick cause people post them here for IW to see and take down. :lol
Why is Infinity Ward taking down videos of the PS3 version? They don't want anyone to know a PS3 version exists?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Any final-final confirmation of a multiplayer stat reset on launch day? I know 420 said they were gonna try to do one, but that doesn't sound definitive to me.

If we can get confirmation I'll probably spend the weekend with SP instead of MP...

AnIco

PS3 version of MW2 tells you what mode you're playing through the XMB friends list. One of my friends is playing it and it shows him playing "Domination in Wasteland"

Nice, wish more PS3 games did this.

Truant

I only played the first two CoD games, but I'll try this out tonight and post some impressions if anyone is interested. Not really my type of game, though.

Mogg0

Banned
Isn't the leaderboard refresh unfair?!?

All the lucky pricks that got it a week early get a week of free practice, yet all of their initial shitness as they get to grips with the game is wiped. All the muppets who get it launch day have all their initial shitness saved forever. K/D, getting to grips with weapon accuracy, and basically all ratio stats will be a poor representation.

Is it just me or is that not fair?

RS4-

johnFkennedy said:
Didn't the the first modern warfare also have aim assist?
Yup, along with WaW.

It's just annoying to have on. You're tracking some dude left to right, AA kicks in and well :lol

didn't really like it in the Halo games either

Enojado

Probably already mentioned, but just in case it hasn't, have the invisible infinite enemy respawn points been removed? That really pissed me off in the last game and I'd love to hear they have been removed.

kuYuri

gbovo said:
Why is Infinity Ward taking down videos of the PS3 version? They don't want anyone to know a PS3 version exists?

They were taking down pretty much any videos that were posted, not just PS3.

panda21

Enojado said:
Probably already mentioned, but just in case it hasn't, have the invisible infinite enemy respawn points been removed? That really pissed me off in the last game and I'd love to hear they have been removed.

Enojado said:

I second this request.

GDJustin

Enojado said:

Nope - if anything the infinite enemy respawns & heavy sequence scripting is even more prevalent here than in MW1. In several sections you will have enemies appear behind you and begin shooting in order to push you forward.

I was having HUGE trouble with even the first handful of SP missions until I figured out that IW doesn't ever want the player to stop - they want you moving forward at all times. Once I sorted that out I've been dying a lot less.

You can't be meticulous and pick off dudes of rooftops one at a time. You just need to keep moving and shooting.

Zinthar

I'm debating over which console version of the game to buy (love PC, but my friends will be playing this on console, so that's where I'll be) -- of course my first thought was to buy it on 360 because I had more friends on XBL, but recently the last of the friends I'll play with also bought a PS3, so that's now a wash.

Frankly, I'm a pretty terrible CoD player -- I enjoy the game, but typically got my ass handed to me when playing the 360 version of Modern Warfare. With all else roughly equal in my mind, I'm thinking that the deciding factor might be to get the version with the community that's easier to kill. I have other games to play and simply don't want to invest the time in becoming a more skillful CoD player when I could just play it for 30 mins a few nights a week for fun -- and, to me, not getting my ass kicked is generally more fun.

I've seen some comments about the 360 attracting more of the 'hardcore' or 'competitive community' in the first Modern Warfare, and surmise that, if true, this trend would hold true to MW2, particularly since the competitive community are the ones most likely to care about the earlier DLC for the 360 version (which I don't care about at all).

For those with experience playing multi-platform competitive multiplayer games on both 360 and PS3 (esp. CoD4), do you believe that the skill level is higher on the 360? Or is this a misconception?

Massa

GDJustin said:
Nope - if anything the infinite enemy respawns & heavy sequence scripting is even more prevalent here than in MW1. In several sections you will have enemies appear behind you and begin shooting in order to push you forward.

I was having HUGE trouble with even the first handful of SP missions until I figured out that IW doesn't ever want the player to stop - they want you moving forward at all times. Once I sorted that out I've been dying a lot less.

You can't be meticulous and pick off dudes of rooftops one at a time. You just need to keep moving and shooting.

They might as well do an on-rails shooter for CoD 7.

Just finished the game. 5 hrs and 21 minutes on Easy... Overall an enjoyable ride, but not too many levels leave a lasting impression on you. Maybe I will be better able to judge after a couple of days, but as of now, nothing compares to the nuke in COD4. You can see they tried very hard to upstage that, and there are certainly sections which will evoke similar feelings, but after COD4, KZ2 and especially UC2, the standard of doing "cinematic" has gone up a lot.

Will check out MP tomorrow. But yeah... awesome game, lot of fun, check it out.

Edit: Definitely pause the screen when they show voice talent in the credits. You'll be surprised. This was unexpected, even though I know he's a huge COD4 fan:
Will fucking Arnett!

Also, congratulations to Robert Bowling for having a project baby! Good for you! :D

Feindflug

GDJustin said:

Well that's really disappointing to hear - I was expecting some real improvements gameplay-wise this time as IW themselves said they tried to stop the infinite respawn of the enemies and having a decent AI this time...after these news honestly I don't know if I will bother with the campaign of the game. :(

GDJustin

Jamesearlcash said:
For anyone who is playing the MP, how big are the maps compared to COD4 ?

Considerably bigger for the most part.

Edit: Although this might be my memory playing tricks on me, or just that these are "new" maps. All I know is that I get lost in MW2's maps.

GDJustin said:

:lol WTF? This is getting ridiculous now.

Mind

Neo Member
No it is not in the game right now. But that prolly will change real soon. I can remember playing CoD4 in the first week and that the playlist kept expanding.

MirageDwarf said:
:lol WTF? This is getting ridiculous now.

I'll give you ridiculous.

In one of the earlier levels (The
controversial
one) I was going through a level with 4 other people on my team. I was supposed to follow one of them who was on point, and we encountered heavy resistance. We took them all out, took about 4-5 minutes, and then the main dude didnt go any further. He just stood there, so I assumed that more enemies would be coming. They dont, so I scout ahead, thinking that maybe I have to cross some invisible line for him to move forward. That doesnt help either... I am at my wits end and cant figure out what to do to make him go ahead... by this time I have gone ahead and already cleared out like half the level ahead of me, but my teammates wont come forward and join me. Wanna guess what the resolution was?

One of the dumbass enemies was hiding behind a barrel or some shit in an out of the way place. He wasnt shooting, he wasnt popping out of cover, he was just sitting behind a barrel and some boxes. As soon as I shoot him, suddenly my squad starts running ahead as if their pants are on fire and its the biggest emergency in the world (lots of battle chatter), when for the last 10 minutes they were standing like statues.

Pissed me off.

GDJustin said:
Considerably bigger for the most part.

Edit: Although this might be my memory playing tricks on me, or just that these are "new" maps. All I know is that I get lost in MW2's maps.

Good, i don't like small clusterfucks.

Top Bottom