• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Aurora

SmokeMaxX said:
(1) You die at about the same speed at ANY range (short, medium, long) with an AR so it's ridiculous to say that Akimbo 1887s are overpowered. It takes LESS skill to kill with an AR than Akimbo 1887s and if you miss with Akimbo 1887s you're basically dead. You can't say the same for ARs.

(2) I will argue that SMGs are pretty garbage on this game though. Ever since I've prestiged, I've used the MP5 (1000 kills), the UMP (750 kills), the Uzi (500 kills), and I'm now on the P90. What's the point of an SMG when an AR is equal to or better than the SMG at close range? I guess my results could be biased since I've stopped using stopping power, but SMGs are utter garbage. Don't even get me started on ACOG + SMG. Ugh. Disgusting.
(1) They are at their most lethal when complimented with Marathon/Lightweight. The 1887 user will just dash around at stupid speeds spraying every time he sees an enemy. Because of the speed, even if he completely misses his shots (pretty rare), he has time to dash behind cover and return to unload the next rounds before the enemy has even acknowledged what is going on. Also, if an enemy gets the jump on you, even with average reflexes you will be able to pull off a shot which is usually enough to kill the enemy first. Definitely overpowered in my opinion.

(2) Agreed, the SMGs are worthless in this game. The UMP is probably my favourite but even still it is outclassed by the SCAR/ACR. I tried leveling them up for challenges but felt so gimped so I never bothered.

Sielys

I don't know what all this SMG nonsense is. P90 is easily one of my best guns, it beats AR at close range, and I can drop targets at normal AR range easily with it. Also, it has a larger magazine and you have better mobility with it.

(Also akimo uzi w/ rapid fire destroy in maps like scrapyard)

No_Style

SMGs are useless? Have you guys never played Skidrow and tried to capture B? Or simply play a match in Favela? You have to find a map which caters to SMGs which, I admit, is disappointingly low. I only use them in the two maps I mentioned which is just one less compared to COD4 where I used them in Vacant, Bloc and District.

This brings up the question of how some of you guys approach maps. I have weapon type loadouts (LMG, SMG, Long Range, Stealth/Anti-Air, Full Auto) with slight perk tweaks and I use different ones depending on gametypes and maps. Do people do the same or have a blanket "I play everything with the same loadouts"?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Man it's so much fun switching up your tag when when a clan is in the room. I was playing earlier this evening and 4 guys from "604" were in the room. We played a round and I did better than all of them (despite their marathon/knife builds) so in the post game lobby I switched my tag to "604" as a little wink wink (yes, very mature, I know).

Silence.

Then I get a text message: You ain't 604 beeeeeeeeeeitch!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol

RSTEIN said:
Man it's so much fun switching up your tag when when a clan is in the room. I was playing earlier this evening and 4 guys from "604" were in the room. We played a round and I did better than all of them (despite their marathon/knife builds) so in the post game lobby I switched my tag to "604" as a little wink wink (yes, very mature, I know).

Silence.

We would do this all the time in COD4 if a big clan came in all with the same tag then we would change our tag to theirs too just to piss them off except we did it before the game started.

No_Style said:
SMGs are useless? Have you guys never played Skidrow and tried to capture B? Or simply play a match in Favela? You have to find a map which caters to SMGs which, I admit, is disappointingly low. I only use them in the two maps I mentioned which is just one less compared to COD4 where I used them in Vacant, Bloc and District.

This brings up the question of how some of you guys approach maps. I have weapon type loadouts (LMG, SMG, Long Range, Stealth/Anti-Air, Full Auto) with slight perk tweaks and I use different ones depending on gametypes and maps. Do people do the same or have a blanket "I play everything with the same loadouts"?

Considering that I can change my class once in a game and get the accolade for most class changes, I'm thinking that the vast majority of players dont adapt their playstyle. They will just do the same thing over and over, never changing to anti-air, never sit back and snipe if rushing gets them killed, never go to a more mobile variant if they keep getting killed while camping, etc. There's people I play with who have only ever used teh FAMAS, and nothing else. I dont get that playstyle at all.

Minamu said:
Woot, Just finished Lightweight Pro V :lol Took about 60 levels to sprint 100 miles. Only a teeth grinding 150 miles to go for Pro VI >_< This perk is ridiculous!

And I found a silly technique that might've been in cod4, dunno. Well, when you reach Last Stand Pro, you can plant claymores & throw grenades etc. So whenever I get shot down & can't see the enemy, I just throw a flash grenade on myself so I kill myself, giving myself a premature death but also no points for the enemy or their team :lol I almost feel bad for abusing it :p I find it hilarious to think about how the other guy must feel when he knows he will get his points in a few seconds only to see my suicide note popping up :D

I would almost always play last stand in HC modes and ask my team to shoot me when I'm down to deny the enemy kills. You werent allowed to use nades etc on yourself, so you had to rely on your teammates to do it for you.

Minamu

Woot, Just finished Lightweight Pro V :lol Took about 60 levels to sprint 100 miles. Only a teeth grinding 150 miles to go for Pro VI >_< This perk is ridiculous!

And I found a silly technique that might've been in cod4, dunno. Well, when you reach Last Stand Pro, you can plant claymores & throw grenades etc. So whenever I get shot down & can't see the enemy, I just throw a flash grenade on myself so I kill myself, giving myself a premature death but also no points for the enemy or their team :lol I almost feel bad for abusing it :p I find it hilarious to think about how the other guy must feel when he knows he will get his points in a few seconds only to see my suicide note popping up :D

RSTEIN said:

I play Ground War a lot with my group of friends/co-workers and we all use the same tag. We noticed that an unnatural amount of people were dropping from the lobby before a game started. It would take forever to get a game going.

I guess they were intimidated about seeing 9 people with the same tag on a team, so they would quit out to find another lobby. We all changed our tags to something unique. The people joining are not aware that we are all in cahoots. Problem Solved.

Sielys

Small XP glitch found btw.
With coldblooded, shoot down a copter with a launcher. Then, as it's spinning around and crashing, every time you shoot it with your main gun, each bullet registers as a kill. You need coldblooded for this, because the kills count for the challenges (which is how you get the xp of course)

Pookaki said:

I play Ground War a lot with my group of friends/co-workers and we all use the same tag. We noticed that an unnatural amount of people were dropping from the lobby before a game started. It would take forever to get a game going.

I guess they were intimidated about seeing 9 people with the same tag on a team, so they would quit out to find another lobby. We all changed our tags to something unique. The people joining are not aware that we are all in cahoots. Problem Solved.

Yeah, we had to do the same. You'll get one guy playing by himself or a few friends and they see a wall of the same name and drop. We couldn't get games to save our lives. But now we don't have more then 2-3 people with the same tag and we get way less droppers.

Smokey

Sielys said:
With coldblooded, shoot down a copter with a launcher. Then, as it's spinning around and crashing, every time you shoot it with your main gun, each bullet registers as a kill. You need coldblooded for this, because the kills count for the challenges (which is how you get the xp of course)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

J-Rzez

Sielys said:

Welcome to many pages ago! But hey, some may have missed it. :p

VaLiancY

I respect everyone has their own playstyle but to say SMGs are worthless means you probably haven't given them a fair chance. The UMP does the same damage as most of the assault rifles for the exception of the FN FAL. The rest of the SMGs have great perks, the high capacity and fire rate of the P90 and the high fire rate and low recoil of the Vector shines if used correctly.

Hyunkel6

VaLiancY said:
I respect everyone has their own playstyle but to say SMGs are worthless means you probably haven't given them a fair chance. The UMP does the same damage as most of the assault rifles for the exception of the FN FAL. The rest of the SMGs have great perks, the high capacity and fire rate of the P90 and the high fire rate and low recoil of the Vector shines if used correctly.

P90 is my favorite gun so far (level 42). :D

First time seeing the Javelin glitch live. Was on a team with a clan that decided to use it. I came late in the game and the other clan were still destroying the guys. Of course there was a lot of trash talking from the other clan that had won. Whenever I see someone with a Javelin now I just giggle.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hyunkel6 said:

P90+Bling+Akimbo+Rapid Fire=Holy sheeeeeeeeet.

Granted, I did have to get very close but it's still fucking hilarious how awesome this build is :lol.

Forget 1887s. The only thing that needs to have its range nerfed is the claymore. You could be standing ten feet in front of it with a wall in between and still die. Not only that but you could come up 5 feet behind it( with the trip lasers facing the other way) and it will still explode and kill you.

VaLiancY

Hyunkel6 said:

I like all the SMGs but the UMP holds dear to my heart. The variety of SMGs feel different and have perks to themselves which is something I can't say for the assault rifles, I don't like how some of them are clones with average differences. i.e, FAMAS/M16 and ACR/M4A1.

johnFkennedy said:
Forget 1887s. The only thing that needs to have its range nerfed is the claymore. You could be standing ten feet in front of it with a wall in between and still die. Not only that but you could come up 5 feet behind it( with the trip lasers facing the other way) and it will still explode and kill you.

While I am a claymore whore myself and I won't deny it... there are many times where I got killed by one where I screamed out "I wasn't anywhere near that fucking thing"

For my all-purpose class, I can't peel myself away from the ACR... So, which one of these can I live without: scavenger, holosight, or heartbeat sensor? Equipment is Semtex, perks are cold-blooded, ninja pro.

xxjuicesxx said:
I remember spotting a claymore and I'm like haha nice try I back up and shoot it.

Not far enough. :lol Felt real dumb.

That's the worst when you know it's there and you kill yourself trying to blow it up all the while thinking how great you are that you didn't get tagged by it in the first place then you blow up.

VaLiancY

SolidSquirrel said:
For my all-purpose class, I can't peel myself away from the ACR... So, which one of these can I live without: scavenger, holosight, or heartbeat sensor? Equipment is Semtex, perks are cold-blooded, ninja pro.

Go with the HBS. The sights on the ACR are clean. I'd keep Scavanger because the ACR damage is alright.

I'd toss Scavenger and set up two One Man Army classes. Especially if its your main class. ACR with Infinite ammo, and regenerating equipment, without having to go out and find a body to walk over. Fun stuff.

Nizz

I know a couple of people have already done it, but I doubt I'll be going Prestige in this one. The extra custom class sounds nice, but it feels like forever getting to 70.

Not to mention it feels nice having pro versions of perks like Scavenger, Stopping Power, Ninja, Commando...

I do like the second Prestige symbol though. ;)

Aurora

Dax01 said:
Did the game get an update? I haven't seen the javelin glitch once today. I was seeing it a lot yesterday.
They have started dishing out 24 hour suspensions to people caught using the glitch.

Aurora

johnFkennedy said:
Forget 1887s. The only thing that needs to have its range nerfed is the claymore. You could be standing ten feet in front of it with a wall in between and still die.
The Claymore's lethal range IRL is 150-200 feet... 10 feet is just fine.

SmokeMaxX

People are missing the point of my SMG rant. It's not that they CAN'T kill people, it's that they're worse than or equal to the ARs at basically every range. I've spent my entire prestige on SMGs and I almost always used SMGs on Cod4 and Cod5. It's not like I haven't given the guns a chance. I have over 2000 SMG kills just this prestige (and this doesn't include the Vector). It's just that against an equally skilled player, SMGs are completely inferior to ARs.

ZZMitch

SmokeMaxX said:
People are missing the point of my SMG rant. It's not that they CAN'T kill people, it's that they're worse than or equal to the ARs at basically every range. I've spent my entire prestige on SMGs and I almost always used SMGs on Cod4 and Cod5. It's not like I haven't given the guns a chance. I have over 2000 SMG kills just this prestige (and this doesn't include the Vector). It's just that against an equally skilled player, SMGs are completely inferior to ARs.

And ARs are completely inferior to LMGs... you point? :D

MrPliskin

Banned
2 things

1. Played with someone who managed to shoot a javelin at the ground every time he died, killing a lot of people. I mean the INSTANT he died. This is on hardcore, so no reaction time is possible. What gives? I mean, it was even hitting us while we were in buildings.

2. How do I report people who are more than likely cheating?

X26

Banned
MrPliskin said:
2 things

1. Played with someone who managed to shoot a javelin at the ground every time he died, killing a lot of people. I mean the INSTANT he died. This is on hardcore, so no reaction time is possible. What gives? I mean, it was even hitting us while we were in buildings.

it's a glitch, and if you're on 360 don't bother...filing complaitns doesn't do anything

ZZMitch

MrPliskin said:
2 things

Look back a few pages, it is a well known glitch :lol

MrPliskin said:
2 things

To file a complaint on 360, go to their gamercard, file complaint, tampering, cheating. Not sure how to do it on the other platforms.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
X26 said:
smg's are shit in the game though :/

What? SMGs are the shit! :lol

Keep thinking that though, Let us SMG'ers take the kills :p

Still waiting on the patch before i jump back into the game. Going to finish off my Mp5 Fall camo then move onto the UMP.

Aurora said:

This is a videogame. Are you saying that when I trip over a claymore a teammate in a house 150 feet away should also keel over?

Also it's not so much the range of damage of the claymores it's the range that it takes to trigger them. I'm sure many of us can relate to juices' scenario.

Ecto311

Aurora said:

Most of the time I hear one of mine go off and it does nothing. I have also seen people run past them or over the top and not die.

Yeef

Claymores are fine. I've run passed claymores plenty of times even without any sort of running perk. If the explosion is bigger than it seems it should be there's a good chance the person who placed it is using Danger Close. Also, the amount of time between the click and the explosion if you have scrambler + is ridiculous. I remember one time I heard one of my claymores click but no explosion, then like a good 3 or 4 seconds later I hear the boom and my cross hairs register a hit then I go and finish the guy off. How the hell he didn't sneak up on me and take me out I'll never know.

The RPD feels like it's both less powerful and less accurate than it was in COD4, but the AUG more than makes up for it.

jedimike

Ecto311 said:
Most of the time I hear one of mine go off and it does nothing. I have also seen people run past them or over the top and not die.

They are pretty inconsistent... I have seen people run right over top of them with little effect and some people are cautious and stay way back and get killed. I use danger close and this observation still holds true.

(btw... just looked and saw that this was my 4,000th post on GAF. If I would have realized it maybe I would have tried to create something more historic.)

Top Bottom