• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

DMeisterJ

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
MP in this game can die in a fire. IW THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A FUCKING BETA!!!! Half the bullshit I'm seeing couldve been avoided

Betas do not fix problems in retail releases *cough*KZ2*cough*

Ecto311 said:
Most of the time I hear one of mine go off and it does nothing. I have also seen people run past them or over the top and not die.

Not in Hardcore unless they have Scrambler Pro. That's one thing that pisses me off about regular TDM is that claymores aren't as effective.

jiien

dogknight said:
What's wrong with the RUST map? I am level 50 and have never played a match on that map

As someone said above, it's an FFA map, but I've actually run into it while on a TDM playlist. Wonky stuff, but this is nothing new. WaW occasionally dumped you into the wrong game type as well.

Edit: So badly beaten.

Recent Random thoughts.

I want to become a good shield player. That's sort of a long term goal I want to work on. I just find something cool about running around with a shield. I've tried it a few times and while I stink at it, I've had a lot of fun. If I'm in the incorrect setup and run into a shield guy myself, I always get flustered for some reason. I want to give that feeling to other people. ;)

Rust is shit. It's offically the only map I don't like in MW 2. Pull that shit out of the Team Deathmach rotation. It's the new Wetwork. It's fine for like 3 on 3 or something or a Cage Match but anything more and its annoying. A lot of people seem to dislike Scrapyard but I really like that map. It's simple and a bit chaotic but in a good way. Rust is simple and chaotic but in the bad way.

I've become a lot better on Estate. I was having a lot of trouble playing that map well until I realized I need to play the house up close and outside the house at mid-range.

The new map I struggle with is underpass. I should be better at it because it's a mid-range map and I'm a mid-range player but with the rain and it sort of being a little foggy, I can't see shit. I've tried thermal on the map but I can't snipe for shit so while it's a good idea in theory I haven't developed a proper strategy for that map. Any tips for playing that map are welcome.

I love the shotgun attachment you can get for some (all?) of the assault rifles. I'm an assualt rifle mid range player and it sort of sucked that I use to have to abandon those weapons if the map had indoor close up elements. Now I can use my assualt rifle and just switch between shotgun and AR mode on the same map instead of being caught in bad situations.

j-wood

Has IW come out and said why they decided to display so much weed in MW2? I see all these titles and emblems of nothing but a pot leaf and think to myself..."That's....pretty stupid IW."

The Stealth Fox said:
I have no clue why they didn't make shield melee a one hit kill.

Because it would make no sense. Its not like youre carrying a medieval battle shield with razor sharp spears sticking out of it. Could you imagine people with the knifing classes but only you couldnt shoot them if they came running towards you? That would fucking suck ass dude. :D

EazyB

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
No kidding, with all the other stupid decisions they've made you would think they'd make the shield melee a one hit kill...

The Stealth Fox

Lionheart1827 said:
Because it would make no sense. Its not like youre carrying a medieval battle shield with razor sharp spears sticking out of it. Could you imagine people with the knifing classes but only you couldnt shoot them if they came running towards you? That would fucking suck ass dude. :D
Shields are crippled and useless as it is and the game favors long range combat, and I can still get friggin shot in the feet.

Stoney Mason said:
Recent Random thoughts.

I want to become a good shield player. That's sort of a long term goal I want to work on. I just find something cool about running around with a shield. I've tried it a few times and while I stink at it, I've had a lot of fun. If I'm in the incorrect setup and run into a shield guy myself, I always get flustered for some reason. I want to give that feeling to other people. ;)

Rust is shit. It's offically the only map I don't like in MW 2. Pull that shit out of the Team Deathmach rotation. It's the new Wetwork. It's fine for like 3 on 3 or something or a Cage Match but anything more and its annoying. A lot of people seem to dislike Scrapyard but I really like that map. It's simple and a bit chaotic but in a good way. Rust is simple and chaotic but in the bad way.

I've become a lot better on Estate. I was having a lot of trouble playing that map well until I realized I need to play the house up close and outside the house at mid-range.

The new map I struggle with is underpass. I should be better at it because it's a mid-range map and I'm a mid-range player but with the rain and it sort of being a little foggy, I can't see shit. I've tried thermal on the map but I can't snipe for shit so while it's a good idea in theory I haven't developed a proper strategy for that map. Any tips for playing that map are welcome.

I love the shotgun attachment you can get for some (all?) of the assault rifles. I'm an assualt rifle mid range player and it sort of sucked that I use to have to abandon those weapons if the map had indoor close up elements. Now I can use my assualt rifle and just switch between shotgun and AR mode on the same map instead of being caught in bad situations.

For Underpass I usually choose/switch between these two classes:
- Barrette 50.cal sniper + thermal
Magnum + Akimbo.
sleight of hand + stopping power + steady aim
claymor + flash
finalstand

With this class I usually snipe in the building thats directly next to C, and I shoot down people at A or going in or out of B, move around and dont stand still for a long time, switch windows.
If someone is at C you will hear it and if someone walks into the room the claymore goes off.
If there are a couple of guys nearby switch to secondary, throw flash into the next room before you enter it, it usually shows if someone is in there when it explodes, aim to the head and move sideways or around them while you are shooting, and dont shoot too fast unless they are really close.

You can also snipe from A, directly before the bridge, sit in the right corner and focus on the windows, the building to your left and people who are rushing for A.

You can also snipe to the left of A, on the long path to B before the river, just put a claymore next to you so no one comes from your right, and snipe whoever tries to take over B.

But my favorite snipping position is in Afghan, between A and B, just after the first cave and around the corner to B, before the wooden room, sitt on top of the rock between the bushes.
I completed the 5 minutes without dieing challenge today from it, just sit there and snipe people coming from C, you will get at least the chopper if you are fast enough.

I also use this:
- M16/ACR + red dot site
AA12 shotgun + grip.
sleight of hand + stopping power + steady aim
semetex + smoke
finalstand

I prefer to stay in the rooms around C with the shotgun ready, just walk around whoever is trying to take C or is coming back for some revenge, or the room between A and B, and shoot whoever is coming my way or the snippers in the windows.
from there you can have an eye on both A and B, I also avoid running in open spaces like in the middle of the map, prefer to take the back way, takes a little bit longer but at least you wont get sniped over and over and end up rushing for revenge, just make sure to run only in the right places.

Now since your getting good at estate, give me some tips because Im having a bad luck with that map.

Aurora said:
They have started dishing out 24 hour suspensions to people caught using the glitch.

What is the glitch you are talking about? All day today people have been running around with Javelins in ground war driving me nuts. Is that it? Is there anyway to report people doing it to IW? I hate those people so much.

Yeef

Ran into a whole team using the Javelin glitch in Domination again. It was Quarry and I, for the first time in MW2, decided to try my hand at ACOG sniping. They only managed to kill me once and we won by a pretty wide margin in the end.

I've only used the .50 Cal so far, bu it seems a lot more iffy than in COD4. In that one a shot to the chest or higher with stopping power was pretty much a guaranteed kill. In MW2 I'd say about 60% of the time that's the case, but the rest of the time it takes 2 shots. It's even worse if you put a silencer on it, but that's to be expected.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Akim said:
That goddamn javelin glitch needs a patch
True story.

I doubt it does anything, but I report and avoid each and every player on Live who uses this glitch (my team or not).

Totally fucks up the game. So many killstreaks ruined by some fuck running around Javeldoming people.

Get this shit fixed.

noire said:
Anyone use suppressors on their sniper rifles? Seems like a waste to me. I lose the ability to kill with one shot and people get to cover and regen before they pop back out.

Only in Hardcore. They turn your gun into a peashooter in the normal modes.

careful

Stoney Mason said:
I also struggle a bit with the visibility on underpass. Rain + high grass = can't see shit.
I tried the thermal, but the zoom is too far for me, since I mostly play medium or short range. I get a bit restless staying in one spot too long ADS.
I've seen some guys do well by mostly controlling the building with the windows kinda next to the containers. They stay in there and shoot out the windows.

Nizar said:
For Underpass I usually choose/switch between these two classes:
Now since your getting good at estate, give me some tips because Im having a bad luck with that map.

Not sure if this will help you but here was my problem.

I sort of fundamentally misread the map at first. I thought it was a really big map like Derail for some reason and I thought it would end up playing that way at longer distances so I had myself outfitted for it like that map when in reality it's a medium sized map and nothing like derail. The house in particular which is where 80% of the action occurs when I play it, is essentially a tiny map inside of a medium map so that's the way to play it if you stay in or near the house.

I was trying to basically use my assualt rifle inside the house and camp but there are so many entrances to the house and if anybody has a weapon with a decent rate of fire they would get on top of me and own me.

I've found my best strategy is to use an smg or a shotgun (or an AR with a shotgun) and actually move around the house quite a bit and spot people and then flank them and take them out. For instance one of my favorite things to do is watch the backside (outside) of the house from inside. Spot somebody. And then use a different exit and flank them for the easy killl instead of just trying to shoot them from distance or rushing out of the same entrance that is facing them which just helps them out.

Camping especially in that front part of the house is a bad idea. There are simply too many ways to get surprised. So instead I prowl the lower floor and the medium floor always keeping only one entrance near me and the rest of my body blocked by walls so I can't be surprised. So basically I have a continous little walking route I take once I'm in the house that lowers my chance of being killed while maximing my chance of either spotting them before they enter the house or spotting them when they enter the house. Especially on the side of house.

The other good thing is that if they do enter the house and start firing in some other part of the house, I'm ready to rush to the action and kill them.

Also that area on the right side of the house is a great spot (Not the waterfall side but the complete opposite side of the map and house). From there I have access to a lower and middle entrace to the house. I can move to the front of the house if I need to. (Although you rarely need to) And I can spot what is going on near the greenhouse or behind it since people seem to like to that route to get behind the house and attack or enter the back entrance. If you want to camp, that is the place to do it because you have a good overlook on the entrances on that side of the house and you have easy access to be able to quickly move and react.

So basically it all boils down to treating the house like a small mini-map. You have to create situations where you see them first and take advantage of it and then pound them with rapid fire weapons or quick kill weapons. You kind of have to be a little pro-active and spot people first and then react with a flank instead of just setting up camp. You start to realize that alot of people are stupidly just rushing into the house into the first entrace they see without a real plan so its actually easy after awhile to predict their actions

The only time this really breaks down for me is when you have a team that really knows how to hold down the house and is doing a lot of the stuff I mentioned and keeping a nice perimeter and lookout on the house. Then it sort of turns into a middle distance map and you have play it differently although if the team in the house knows what they are doing that is tough no matter what.

J-Rzez

The Stealth Fox said:

Because they finished off the "Weapon/Perk Imbalance VI" challenge and going any further wouldn't net them any XP so why bother?

Secondly, you shouldn't be able to actually kill someone with those damn things at all. Level 3A shields you couldn't move fast enough to actually kill someone unless you had super strength and hit them just right with the stars aligned. Those shields are made to absorb "some" small arms fire and to push back protesters, actually it's even more to intimidate them than anything.

You know how outrageously imbalanced that would be? Something that somehow eats up RPGs/HEATs/Frags/Claymores/Hi-Po armor defeating rounds with basically no consequences also is an insta-gib? LOL.

Infinity Ward folk, what is your take on boosters? I'm wondering if I should join them or not because they're cheating, flying through the ranks, getting the Titles and Emblems without earning them. There are some on there that played a full day or two less than me, and have 3+x's the kills that I do (20,000 more), with killstreaks in the 1000s. They are flat out cheating, exploiting the game. They should have their stats wiped, and receive a ban. How about a 30-day title "I cheat because I suck" that they can't change? Or is this asking too much of you guys to address these cheaters? I asked this a few times now and it's danced around every time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
UGGHHH, I called in a care package and the second it dropped in front of me, I got hit with a fucking predator missile. It ended up being an AC-130, the other team got it, and it gave them the last few kills they needed to win. :(

Although I did have a pretty cool moment tonight in Domination on Wasteland... I moved in to capture a flag by myself, took out two guys, but a third managed to hit me with a few shots and knock me down. I was using my class that has Last Stand, so I took him out with my pistol, and managed to live JUST long enough to capture the flag.

kitch9

Banned
noire said:
Anyone use suppressors on their sniper rifles? Seems like a waste to me. I lose the ability to kill with one shot and people get to cover and regen before they pop back out.

Are you using stopping power?

The Stealth Fox

J-Rzez said:
You know how outrageously imbalanced that would be? Something that somehow eats up RPGs/HEATs/Frags/Claymores/Hi-Po armor defeating rounds with basically no consequences also is an insta-gib? LOL.
Why the hell do shields eat up RPGs/HEATs/Frags/Claymores in the first place?!

I guess the only purpose is to be a giant decoy.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I went back several pages and looked for this answer.

How do you report a cheater to IW regarding the javelin glitch? Saw it from a couple of french speaker players tonight. Would LOVE to help them take some time off from the game.

mYm|17|

u know when you don't have it on a certain night and want to scream at the tv...........................well this was one of those nights

The Stealth Fox said:
Why the hell do shields eat up RPGs/HEATs/Frags/Claymores in the first place?!

I guess the only purpose is to be a giant decoy.

They don't. Claymores kill them all the time, and if you aim the RPG at the ground it will most likely take him out.

So a Javelin glitcher actually won TDM matches in Ground War last night. And as he took out more than the amount he got killed, he's laughing.

And those fucking 1887's....

Dina

I have yet to see a Javelin glitcher, or a care package glitcher, or an Afghan-rock glitcher. Superior PC-version, of course.

1887 are there, though. Hope we get a balance patch shortly after the glitch fix patch.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Really getting tired of not being able to select a map. It always seems like I'm getting small maps, which aren't suited to my playstyle :(

I agree those damn Javelin glitchers piss me off. Encountered a bunch of them in TDM worse is on Terminal they run down the corrider or inside the plane god its annoying. It's spread like wild fire.

I haven't really encountered any care package glitchers I'm guessing cause it takes too much effort to do the glitch.

Oh and I found an awesome Tactical Knife build. Don't know if its been mentioned but heres the build.

Primary - Any
Secondary - Handgun with Tactical Knife
Perk 1 - Marathon
Perk 2 - Lightweight
Perk 3 - Commando

Unlimited Sprint/Speed, Increased Knife range.

pringles

XenonOxide said:
Oh and I found an awesome Tactical Knife build. Don't know if its been mentioned but heres the build.

Primary - Any
Perk 1 - Marathon
Perk 2 - Lightweight
Perk 3 - Commando

That's groundbreaking. I hope I don't run into someone using exactly that build in 9 games out of 10 during the last month.

XenonOxide said:
I agree those damn Javelin glitchers piss me off. Encountered a bunch of them in TDM worse is on Terminal they run down the corrider or inside the plane god its annoying. It's spread like wild fire.

I haven't really encountered any care package glitchers I'm guessing cause it takes too much effort to do the glitch.

Primary - Any
Perk 1 - Marathon
Perk 2 - Lightweight
Perk 3 - Commando

You should feel ashamed for posting that.

kuYuri

I was playing Third Person Team Tactical games with 3 other friends when we ended up doing CTF on Rust. That match became so one-sided. I managed to get two AC130s in two different care packages and decimated the other team while my teammates captured flags. It didn't help that we were already winning like 18-2 when I got both AC130s. :lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Surprisingly, no Jav's tonight either. Some were actually using them legitimately. Ended the night pretty good tho, was going 33-0 on Afghan then the host quit, reassigned then completely dropped all us out to main menu.

I can thoroughly say that Afghan is the best map in the game thusfar.

So after a couple of jav douche matches, I decided to give hardcore TD a whirl for the first time. Its actually a really nice change of pace. Its totally a different game than TD. You really need to be alert and tread lightly, you cant run like a jackass all over the map either. I guess the jav glitch got me introduced into hardcore TD now. Looks like it will be a welcome change of pace when I want to switch things up a bit. :D

Top Bottom