• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I really need some help from you guys that "pwn" and such and have stunning W/L records. Im serious, anyone or any group that would let me roll with them one night and give me tips and help me improve my game Id be forever thankfull. If anyone is up to help me out my PSN name is same as here "PKM" and I play EST 1am-->? Heck anyone want please send me a friends request just so I can watch/play with you.
Im not terrible, Im just always the best loser I feel like...

My highest KS is only 22, thanks to the Choppah Gunner and when I last logged off tonight I had 10k kills and 8k deaths. Sadly tho I have problably 200 more losses then wins. Im even got myself to lvl 47 after my first prestige, but I still suck. Some nights I just wanna sell the game or break it lol. i tried going back to HC mode since thats all i played in CoD4, but no one "plays" HC mode anymore...they just camp for killstreaks so its a massive snoozefest compared to CoD4.

My problem is mostly I just feel like I consistently get the jump on people and fire a ton of shots only to have them put me down in a split second, or in a stand off I always seem to be on the losing end of the battle...I know there is no HP perk but I really feel like Im glass and everyone else is insta killing me.
My go to class, basically my no screwing around with speed/explosions is..
Scar with HBS/RDS
Raffica
Bling
Stopping Power
Commando

Even with the "wall hack" ability of the HBS and added Dmg from SP Im consistently on the losing end of fire fights. Its like I see a ton of hit detection and think to myself "WTF why wont this guy go down!!" And time Im the one getting sneak attack...I just die insta..yet my opponents never die when I am first to attack.
Aside from my "Main" setup Ive also been playing with..
FAL with ACOG...same setup as Scar setup but no Bling, Slight of hand instead. I call this my "shoot, shoot, shoot etc..., enemy runs away with 1/2 my clip in him or just looks up and insta kills me with an automatic". This set up will change when I get my ACR back, Ill lose bling and use SLight of hand most likely.

And lastly my "Cheese" set ups. My "Cheese" setups consist of a Scar with a Nade Launcher with a perk set up of Danger Close and Scavenger, I top this set up off with a AT-4.
And my last "Cheese" setup is my Submachine gun with run perks, commando and Ranger...this setup will soon have a Tact Knife and/or 1887 Akimbo...cant beat um join, amirite?

Seriosly any type of shadowing, hand holding, tips etc.. would certainly rock. Just contact me on PSN. I do have a party I play with nightly, but theyre worse then me 99% of the time, like I said Im the #1 loser.

I really haven't noticed a problem with knifing. I hear people complain about it all the time when they're playing Wasteland. And by playing, I mean sniping and waiting for a knife to the back.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
LLaMa-Tech said:
I wasn't really blown away by the story to be honest.

Hell, if you even remotely understood the story or found a way to reconcile the huge plot holes I'd give you a custom made emblem.

andycapps

Pkm said:
My problem is mostly I just feel like I consistently get the jump on people and fire a ton of shots only to have them put me down in a split second, or in a stand off I always seem to be on the losing end of the battle...I know there is no HP perk but I really feel like Im glass and everyone else is insta killing me.
My go to class, basically my no screwing around with speed/explosions is..
Scar with HBS/RDS
Raffica
Bling
Stopping Power
Commando

Even with the "wall hack" ability of the HBS and added Dmg from SP Im consistently on the losing end of fire fights. Its like I see a ton of hit detection and think to myself "WTF why wont this guy go down!!" And time Im the one getting sneak attack...I just die insta..yet my opponents never die when I am first to attack.
Aside from my "Main" setup Ive also been playing with..
FAL with ACOG...same setup as Scar setup but no Bling, Slight of hand instead. I call this my "shoot, shoot, shoot etc..., enemy runs away with 1/2 my clip in him or just looks up and insta kills me with an automatic". This set up will change when I get my ACR back, Ill lose bling and use SLight of hand most likely.

That is a problem with poor net coding by IW, my friend. Which is what myself and some others are complaining about. The core gameplay is very fun, to me, but yes, I get frustrated sometimes and just end up turning it off.

You're not doing anything wrong, it's a problem with poor net coding and/or lag.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The whole "javelin glitchers getting banned" thing isn't helping.

Played last night and both teams had people doing it in every game still. Even after I told them that MS was banning accounts, only 1 guy out of the 5-8 or so I ran into last night stopped.

Reported all of them...but this game is really rubbing me the wrong way.

I've gotten into super laggy games a few times in the past couple days and I end up taking the loss by quitting out because it's just unplayable...and in some levels my guy will just lag off the level, even if I'm not moving.

Going to take sanctuary in L4D2 until this shit is all sorted out. The MP isn't that mindblowing that I can't put it down.

I said to my friend that the highs in MW2 don't come anywhere near matching the lows, and for me that's just no fun. I grinded out my level 70 and intend to prestige, but then quit unless some major shit changes.

...anyone else think the ability to go prone is actually a horrible horrible game mechanic? It makes camping so incredibly easy, and people go prone in a shootout in open space...which makes no sense.

The more I play, the more I realize that I don't really like the multiplayer in this game :lol

andycapps said:
That is a problem with poor net coding by IW, my friend. Which is what myself and some others are complaining about. The core gameplay is very fun, to me, but yes, I get frustrated sometimes and just end up turning it off.

You're not doing anything wrong, it's a problem with poor net coding and/or lag.

Blaming an individual kill or death on lag/netcode is fine.
Blaming your K/D ratio on lag/netcode is just looking for excuses.

Unless you roll with dial-up, you should be getting the same number of lag advantages as disadvantages.

Drastic

andycapps said:

That's the biggest issue with this game, and it was the same in COD4. (Maybe worse now?) It's so easy to see the difference in what happened on your screen and the killcam.

It does balance out when it works in your favor - when the enemy seemingly looks at you without firing and you just blast away.

They spent all of their resources on the form and polish, so the function and actual netcode takes a back seat. Really shows even in matchmaking before the game actually begins.

andycapps

divisionbyzorro said:
Blaming an individual kill or death on lag/netcode is fine.

Unless you roll with dial-up, you should be getting the same number of lag advantages as disadvantages.

It's lag combined with not having Akimbo 1887's unlocked, honestly. Those guns are the only thing in there that really break the game. Akimbo anything else evens out because you can only fire from the hip and the accuracy goes away as well as the range. With 1887's, they are accurate from a distance and only take firing each gun once to kill most people. A split second of lag is enough to get you killed by those because it's an instant kill.

So no, I think the only way at this point to say that it all works itself out through host advantages/disadvantages when not host is if everyone were using Akimbo 1887's. The other guns work themselves out in advantages/disadvantages when combined with different perks.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Man I guess i'm just incredibly lucky (or not depending on your angle lol).

I've logged plenty of time in the game, almost 10K kills, been at 70 for a good while before I prestiged yesterday, and i've NEVER seen a nuke and have only run into one dude using the javelin glitch. Do these things not occur in TDM/MTDM on 360?

big_z

Drastic said:
That's the biggest issue with this game, and it was the same in COD4. (Maybe worse now?) It's so easy to see the difference in what happened on your screen and the killcam.

yeah i got killed by a guy that wasnt even facing me last night. lag shows up a lot with launchers as well... you see the animation but nothing is really happening.

Wow. Was just on Favela, getting a few kills on the rooftops and jumping from rooftop to rooftop, when suddenly, I die.

Killcam goodness: An enemy climbs up a ladder onto the same rooftop I am on. At this time, I am jumping onto another rooftop. They somehow manage to stab me with a knife from the rooftop I was just on when I land onto the other rooftop. Gotta love Commando. :lol

Kujo

divisionbyzorro said:

I dunno about that. I get a red bar in 50% of games, and yellow the other 40%. The game refuses to match me up with local players 90% of the time, so I'm pretty much always at a disadvantage. Though my KD ratio is good, I learn to live with the constant lag, but for a lot of people they would be seriously frustrated when the game says you never shot the person on the Killcam.

PhatSaqs said:

I've logged plenty of time in the game, almost 10K kills, been at 70 for a good while before I prestiged yesterday, and i've NEVER seen a nuke and have only run into one dude using the javelin glitch. Do these things not occur in TDM/MTDM on 360?

I'm only on 3k kills and I've never seen a nuke or or the glitch until Sunday when I experienced 3 nukes and javelin madness in TDM.

I can deal with that but the akimbo 1887's is what's killing the game for me. I'm up on the roof in Underpass the guy is standing below me so far away he's under the road columns and he kills me with one shot. It's bullshit.

X26

Banned
PhatSaqs said:

Pretty much why I really only play TDM. Still plenty of BS, but not nearly as bad as in say HQ or domination where glitching, nuke camping, etc. are the absolute norm

Aurora

jiien said:
How would you be penalized? Knifing is a legitimate response to having no other option when it comes to ammo and guns at extremely close range. It is a one-hit kill, and is THE most powerful thing you can use at very close range. If you pop out in front of someone who is reloading, shouldn't they have a legitimate response to that? If you kill them before they get the knife off, then more power to you. But having someone completely defenseless while reloading takes away from the game we have currently.

Moreover, we're talking about knifing here. Even with Commando, it's still has very limited range. You want to get the jump on someone reloading? Don't pop out in knifing range. Pretty simple.

Besides, you quoted someone responding to the fact that someone else thought it was a good idea to have knifing cancelled by bullet hits. Do you really think that is a good alternative? My opinion is that if you can't kill someone you're shooting at before they can knife you, either stop hanging around said EXTREMELY DANGEROUS close range builds in tight spaces, or work on your accuracy. Or knife yourself. Or use a shotty. Or one of the handguns.

I think the knife runner build is the least broken mechanic that people have complained about. It is nowhere near overpowered. At all. People are just plain crappy at this game.
Not saying you personally, don't want to start stuff here.
Akimbo 1887's, now that's fucking stupid.
Thank you. No further comments.

X26

Banned
Oh, and was live being terrible for anybody else last night? Every game I joined was a laggy mess where everybody had red bars and the game would end with only a few kills being managed by either team, connection errors, etc. etc.

Mojo said:
I dunno about that. I get a red bar in 50% of games, and yellow the other 40%. The game refuses to match me up with local players 90% of the time, so I'm pretty much always at a disadvantage. Though my KD ratio is good, I learn to live with the constant lag, but for a lot of people they would be seriously frustrated when the game says you never shot the person on the Killcam.

True. Typical selfish American thinking here. If you're out of a good region, your connection won't matter. I still don't understand why they didn't include a local search like W@W had.

Enron

Banned
anyone ever seen this (ps3)?

4169545150_90159ef07f.jpg

HooCares

Neo Member
My Fixes:

1. Akimbo 1887 - just reduce the range, everything else is fine. [as an aside, akimbo should have only been for pistols and machine pistols - everything else is ridiculous]
2. Akimbo in general - you cannot melee while using akimbo weapons. Fuck the third arm.
3. Javelin Glitch /obvious
4. Boost the regular chopper. Make it acquire targets faster or something. It's horrible right now.
5. Make the EMP last 5 minutes instead of whatever it is now (i think one or two). It would be a great streak for people that hate killstreaks bonuses in general. It would help block nukes in objective games and lock down the skies in the final minutes of a game.

And people saying W/L matters more than K/D, are you fucking serious?

Neither are that important but W/L stats are ruined by shitty matching (you're the best player on a shitty losing team), and IW's love of using solo players as cannon fodder for nearly completed games plagued by quitters. W/L is completely bunked as a stat b/c of this.

Total K/D and a separate K/D without killstreak help would be a nice stat addition, as would W/L from COMPLETED games only, as in, games where I was there from start to finish.

HooCares said:
My Fixes:

1. Akimbo 1887 - just reduce the range, everything else is fine. [as an aside, akimbo should have only been for pistols and machine pistols - everything else is ridiculous]
2. Akimbo in general - you cannot melee while using akimbo weapons. Fuck the third arm.
4. Boost the regular chopper. Make it acquire targets faster or something. It's horrible right now.
5. Make the EMP last 5 minutes instead of whatever it is now (i think one or two). It would be a great streak for people that hate killstreaks bonuses in general. It would help block nukes in objective games and lock down the skies in the final minutes of a game.

I agree with all of this, although for (1) I whould simply suggest removing akimbo from all shotguns.

I'll be honest: I don't get the EMP. Sure, it's useful, but not super useful. I've always felt that it's a 15-streak not because it's that powerful, but because the game would be super-annoying if it showed up too often. If it lasted longer, it might be more worth it, but by the time you get a 15-streak, you're often pretty far into the match as it is. It just feels like a waste.

On a different note: worst KS setup ever? Crate->Sentry-EAD. So much time spent waiting for crates to fall from the sky.

I think the best stat to compare is score vs time played. Look at your friends list, and just compare yourself relative to them. If you have, say, a third as many points as the top guy on your list, but he has 5 times the amount played, then you are probably a more useful player to your team. But even it is a borked stat, because you will naturally be worse at the start, and when you get bored and screw around, or intentionally level up guns you are bad with, your score will tank, just like your K/D. I really dont think theres a way to judge yourself compared to others, except to play with the same group and see how often you are at the top of the list in game. The whole waving your e-peen around b/c of a high K/D or W/L or because you're really accurate is just nonsense.

EDIT: Yeah, didnt think about the whole leaving the box running thing. I thought in CoD4 it didnt track you unless you were actually playing the game, and not just sitting around doing nothing not searching for a match, but I guess I was wrong. Although I did say "probably", so I'm going to pretend that I covered my ass for such an occasion, and you cant prove otherwise.

PhatSaqs

Banned
HooCares said:
My Fixes:

And people saying W/L matters more than K/D, are you fucking serious?
I'd add boosting Stealth Bomber somehow as well. For an 11 streak it sucks right now. Maybe two runs? And yes EMP as a 15 is awful right now.

I think the best stat to compare is score vs time played. Look at your friends list, and just compare yourself relative to them. If you have, say, a third as many points as the top guy on your list, but he has 5 times the amount played, then you are probably a more useful player to your team.
Not really. I'm sure im not the only who leaves his game running while doing shit around or even outside of the house. I'm famous for this and although I have played alot (5 days) my time played is inflated because of it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
PhatSaqs said:
Not really. I'm sure im not the only who leaves his game running while doing shit around or even outside of the house. I'm famous for this and although I have played alot (5 days) my time played is inflated because of it.
The play-time listed in barracks and on leaderboards is from in-game only. Floating around in menus doesn't contribute to it (it does on the stats screen in single player and spec ops, though).

Just played a game on Estate. Start off get 7 kills with the Sniper call in Harrier get to Chopper Gunner I hear Friendly Whatever Incoming turns out somebodys doing the same thing, they hit 25 and blow the nuke. I start up my chopper gunner but its way too late, fucker stole my thunder.:lol

HooCares

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
I agree with all of this, although for (1) I whould simply suggest removing akimbo from all shotguns.

Agree. It wasn't needed on shotguns which are already awesome by themselves. Furthermore, your player model looks horrid running around with the two long sticks.

I'll be honest: I don't get the EMP. Sure, it's useful, but not super useful. I've always felt that it's a 15-streak not because it's that powerful, but because the game would be super-annoying if it showed up too often. If it lasted longer, it might be more worth it, but by the time you get a 15-streak, you're often pretty far into the match as it is. It just feels like a waste.

It's nice fucking with the electronics on people's guns, but the main advantage is the effects on streaks and radar. If it were 5 minutes long, even if you got it in the second half of a TDM, think of the advantage it'd give your team - With no radar, it's like your whole team is suddenly silenced and cold blooded. Any choppers, harriers, sentries the enemy has called in - dead immediately. Any streak someone was working on, 10/11 on a chopper gunner, forget it. It's gone. It would allow your team to finish up a match free from streaks. I've played some close ones where it would've be helpful. @ five minutes, it's value would be even greater in objective games which have no time limit. As it's stands now it's just two short to be useful.

On a different note: worst KS setup ever? Crate->Sentry-EAD. So much time spent waiting for crates to fall from the sky.

I've use a similar setup before (I think Crate/pred/EAD - the trick is keep playing until you finally die. No need to call in all your packages ASAP since they don't count toward future streaks. When you die, just confirm you respawned in a safe area and go to town with 5 packages at once.

Nelo Ice

Banned
^the worst streak loadout ive seen is care package-->chopper gunner-->nuke

my sisters bf thinks that'll get him a nuke and he knos care packages dont count towards ur killstreak :lol

cameltoe

Pyke Presco said:
I think the best stat to compare is score vs time played. Look at your friends list, and just compare yourself relative to them. If you have, say, a third as many points as the top guy on your list, but he has 5 times the amount played, then you are probably a more useful player to your team. But even it is a borked stat, because you will naturally be worse at the start, and when you get bored and screw around, or intentionally level up guns you are bad with, your score will tank, just like your K/D. I really dont think theres a way to judge yourself compared to others, except to play with the same group and see how often you are at the top of the list in game. The whole waving your e-peen around b/c of a high K/D or W/L or because you're really accurate is just nonsense.

Nah, If all I play is S&D and you TDM, you will have a far better score then me..You get more points per kill in TDM than S&D and have way more opportunities for kills in TDM. Now on the other hand S&D will net me more XP points...so I will rank up much faster.

X26

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
....... I thought it does.

I imagine it does in the sense the other team can't call oen while it's up, but emp is so brief that's not a big deal to a would be nuker

now if the nuke countdown comes up and you have an emp, launching it won't do anything to stop the nuke (despite that being the case in the SP), and that's lame

Rainy Dog

PhatSaqs said:
I'd add boosting Stealth Bomber somehow as well. For an 11 streak it sucks right now. Maybe two runs?

I thought that until I realised that it bombs all the way across it's path from one side of the map to the other. So, always set it to start from the edge of the map. I've killed an an entire enemy team with it but yeah, agreed, as a 9 (not 11) kill streak choice a Pavelow will almost always rack you up more kills.

Rainy Dog said:
I thought that until I realised that it bombs all the way across it's path from one side of the map to the other. So, always set it to start from the edge of the map. I've killed an an entire enemy team with it but yeah, agreed, as a 9 (not 11) kill streak choice a Pavelow will almost always rack you up more kills.

Also it kills people in buildings (it does on highrise anyway...) making it amazing, I killed 5 people at once with it which is ok for a 9 KS and at least the stealths cant be shot down after 5 seconds like the pavelow getting you no kills, also pavelow does not add to your killstreak whereas I beleive stealth bombers does.

Acidote

Game beaten on Veteran. Incredibly easier than COD4: MW and of course COD2.

It looks like the challenge is at Spec Ops if you want to do it alone.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Rainy Dog said:
Wow, I didn't know this. I guess I'll be setting the marker at the edge of the map, in line with my target from now on.

I prestiged last night for the 2nd time. For those that were wondering, the prestige challenges carry over EXCEPT for a few of the ones in the Prestige section. They are the Knife Veteran, flash vet, stun vet, etc. The rest of them like the gun prestige challenges and the killstreak ones under prestige carry over.

BTW, I kept on fucking killing myself on favela last night jumping off buildings because I kept on forgetting I hadn't unlocked commando pro yet. :lol

And btw:

2e4hmrk.jpg

Dont fuck with Commando :D

Acidote said:
Game beaten on Veteran. Incredibly easier than COD4: MW and of course COD2.

It looks like the challenge is at Spec Ops if you want to do it alone.

Especially seeing as some of the missions require 2 people technically making it impossible! :lol

Veteran was way too easy tho, world at war was tough as nails but this took me half a day to beat on vet.

Got 10 more spec ops missions to do.

Drastic

Valkyr Junkie said:
....... I thought it does.
EMP counters the nuke only when called in before the nuke.

EMP basically kills the ability to call in the nuke. If nuke countdown is already started - it's too late.

Ryu1999

Rainy Dog said:

Which is accidentally balanced by the Pavelow's killstreak bug...

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
So yesterday I decided to make a knife class for the first time and man does it make me feel dirty inside.

edit- sitting on 70 first prestige, wondering if I should go for another round.

Top Bottom