• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just killed an entire team with a precision airstrike on Quarry.

So good. :lol

edit: sweet! I unlocked a CoD4 emblem

MThanded said:
I really need more class spots. They should let you make more but only take 5 into a mach to chose from. Assuming the reason they limit it is because they dont want you to be able to choose from 5 in a match. It would be nice to have more though.

Do you not unlock more slots when prestiging?

I just found the new love of my life, riot shield baby. I can't believe how much I love running around with a riot shield, it's the complete opposite of how I normally like the play. Which was a M4+Acog in MW and ACR+ACOG in MW2. I normally like to play safe and take out guys from a distance, but with the riot shield I normally finish with the lowest number of kills and I LOVE IT. It's so awesome baiting people into shooting me so that they can reveal there location. Other times they attempt to come and knife me but then my teammates are ready to blast them.

The riot shield is at its best in the airport stage since you don't have to deal with so many angles. My cousin has had some really good games picking off guys that attempt to kill me. Anyways, I will never dominate with this thing but it's so fun using it.

Sh0k

Is there a way to carry two claymores at the same time ? One claymore is not enough cover and that's when they decide to work, 50% of the time people run over my claymores without exploding.

Sh0k said:
Is there a way to carry two claymores at the same time ? One claymore is not enough cover and that's when they decide to work, 50% of the time people run over my claymores without exploding.
At the same time, no, but if you use Scavenger, you have potentially unlimited claymores.

Mik2121

Sh0k said:

Use scavenger perk.

careful

MThanded said:
I really need more class spots. They should let you make more but only take 5 into a mach to chose from. Assuming the reason they limit it is because they dont want you to be able to choose from 5 in a match. It would be nice to have more though.
Five slots is extremely cheap given all the different weapons, attachments, and perks combination.
I can't be bothered with prestiging to gain a few extra slots. I consider that I played a lot since the game came out with my 1 day 10 or so hours and I'm only level 54. This is considering that I skipped going out a bunch of times just to play this game. At this rate, I would have to quit my job and abandon any and all social activity to go prestige over and over for the extra class slots..

Aurora said:
I'd put AC130 and Chopper Gunner at 14 or 15 killstreak, reducing EMP to 8 or 9.
Yes please.
and remove Nuke :p

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
someone made a chart for the airstrike blast patterns. neat stuff.

airstrikesk.png

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Alternatively, use One Man Army, and you can switch directly back to your previous class for a free ammo refill.
If you switch right back to the same class with One Man Army, it gives you an ammo refill afterward? Damn ...

careful

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Alternatively, use One Man Army, and you can switch directly back to your previous class for a free ammo refill.
How does One Man Army work exactly?
Let's say I have OMA on Class A and not on Class B.
I switch from A to B.
Can I switch back to A if B doesn't have OMA?

NYR

Digital Limit said:
When you die but have a killstreak in your pocket, does it count toward future killstreaks on your new life?
That defeats the purpose of a "streak"....I wish it was true though! I would be happy with that.

Bahahaha

I love the knife class, even without the tac knife

I knifed 3 people before they knew what was up, they were all in formation too :lol

Sielys

Actually, the 1887's don't bother me too much, because I still remember the COD2 shotguns. Goddamn insane, easily most OP thing in that game.

Arhal_Katarn

The thing thats pisses me off the most in this game is that basically everyone camps, either that or they are running faster then a world class sprinter knifing people from 5 feet away. I really hate having to camp i much prefer to be on the move hunting people down. My k/d is 1.25 but if i was camping like most people it would be higher .
I know all FPS games have campers but compared to Halo 3 and even MW1 its insane its like people where saying earlier its because players are so afraid of losing their killstreak they will not take any risks.
Its so damn easy to get a 5 kill streak from camping then after that you can build up 20 or something kills from your killstreak rewards.
Also in what is supposed to be a (mostly) true to life military game how the fuck can people hold a shotgun in each hand?

Minamu

Hmm, tonight I encountereed at least 4 different groups of guys in HC S&D that tried to boost by using the exp glitch with the shield. It was annoying when they were just sitting in the spawn shooting each other, though that made them easy targets :lol Even more annoying when they did the same thing on Derail but also managed to pick up the bomb >_< Who does that?!

How come you even get exp from someone shooting at your shield in the first place? o_O Yay you absorbed some damage, here's some pointless exp! It's not that you complete a challenge, you get a continuous stream of exp every 3 bullets or so o_O

tiddles

I think the maps are great if you want to be a submachinegunner... something I probably have an unhealthy obsession with from COD4 is finding the smallest SMG I can and getting the ACOG scope for it. I was playing this evening using a silenced MP5K, with Scavenger, Cold-Blooded, Ninja, Stinger and Smoke Grenade, and having an awesome time. You need to get up close, but the complexity and twisty-turny nature of many of the maps is perfect for closing the distance between you and your foes.

It's not like the knife runner class where you just sprint around the map everywhere, but you're going to get slaughtered at medium distance or further, so you have to duck and weave around cover to get close enough to your target. For some reason this seems to be very effective against a lot of players - my theory is that people get so set in the medium range "spot enemy - aim down sight - see who hits first" routine that they find it hard to deal with an opponent who initially seems more concerned about getting out of the way... as they're working out what to do next you've moved up into killing range, often taking them out firing from the hip, which of course is very satisfying.

Of course, that doesn't stop me trying to snipe people across the map with an SMG either... I love setting myself challenges in this game, it's great fun playing that way, especially if you're getting annoyed by something. Taking out a camper who thinks he or she has found the perfect spot is immensely gratifying, or knifing the Akimbo 1887'er (preferably with a thrown one). Pretty much everything in the game can be approached this way, except perhaps Javelin glitchers... I guess we'll just have to wait for the patch to take them out :D

Edit: Smoke grenades are awesome too, they just totally freak out campers... my favorite trick is to chuck a smoke grenade into the entrance of a building, then sprint round and come in via a completely different door. At one point I threw a smoke grenade in front of a building where several guys were camping, and it was enough to send them running from the building, even though they weren't actually inside the smoke!

Sielys

Quick question about the "STD" title. I've seen people claim that you have to be stabbed by someone who is using the title, and that IW plays a few accounts with it on, to get the STD started. This seems really unlikely, but I haven't seen any other explanation as to obtaining it.

Sielys said:
Quick question about the "STD" title. I've seen people claim that you have to be stabbed by someone who is using the title, and that IW plays a few accounts with it on, to get the STD started. This seems really unlikely, but I haven't seen any other explanation as to obtaining it.
I heard the same but can not confirm or deny if that is in fact how you get it.

jedimike

If there was a campfire emblem, I would have earned it ages ago... I absolutely love having the claymore and scavenger perk.

I camp and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Frankly, I think everyone has their favorite spots on maps and they seek them out.

been out of the loop for this game because I hated how they took out the dedicated servers, question for the pc people who play. How is it? are the games you play have decent ping? is it worth the purchase or should I just get the 360 version?

Mileena

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Sweet. I just left a match because everyone had the 1887's and when I started a new game it brought me back into the same damn match.
Better than waiting 3 minutes for the matchmaking only to get "game lobby closed" message. This matchmaking system is seriously garbage.

jiien

jedimike said:
If there was a campfire emblem, I would have earned it ages ago... I absolutely love having the claymore and scavenger perk.

I camp and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Frankly, I think everyone has their favorite spots on maps and they seek them out.

There's a clear difference between camping and holding a chokepoint. People bitch about others camping when that person was hiding behind cover, watching an intersection or alleyway. There is NOTHING wrong with that. If you think you should always be running and gunning instead of helping your teammates by watching their backs, then you aren't playing the game correctly, and are just buttsore because you die against people that do.

Camping is when you have a douche that sits inside a remote room, where he can't actually see out windows or cover any areas, plants a claymore at the door, and waits for people to walk in. There's nothing wrong with defending your area, but when you can literally see nothing but the doorway right in front of you, and you contribute nothing but that to your own team, then you are camping.

Watching an alleyway contributes to your team. Watching a doorway does not. And not all doorways are pointless.

Some examples: If you are watching the doorway in the larger warehouses on Underpass, because you know/saw briefly someone about to come, or your teammates are sniping from the same building, there is nothing wrong with that at all. You are defending your position. If you are in some obscure, small room in one of the buildings of Favela (such as that bathroom, some people will know what I'm talking about) where you can't see out any windows, and you are obviously not defending the backs of anyone near you, since you're the only goddamn person in the room, and the room is definitely not a chokepoint, then you are camping and a douche.

I don't know which you do, but I think everyone should be aware of the distinction.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Tkawsome said:
Sweet. I just left a match because everyone had the 1887's and when I started a new game it brought me back into the same damn match.

:lol Love when that happens.

On a different note. Has anyone encountered the loading bug? Where the map starts to load, the top right says waiting for other players, but it never actually finishes loading?

divisionbyzorro said:
So that means that FAL with SP is a OHK on a headshot?
Maybe. 3 hits seem to kill with FAL even without Stopping Power and you can pull the trigger three times very fast anyway. It's my main weapon too, at least until I get the headshot challenge done, which I am rocking at 2/3s at the moment.. I love it but the wall peneration seems really weak on it.

Pankaks said:
On a different note. Has anyone encountered the loading bug? Where the map starts to load, the top right says waiting for other players, but it never actually finishes loading?
Yeah that has happened to me too, multiple times. Annoying.

whitehawk

Banned
The matchmaking in this is horrible..

• I always play with tons of level 70s and prestiege guys, when I'm level 45
  • Takes forever to find a match
  • Even worse finding a match when I'm in a party with a friend
  • Random freezing to due connection issues that force me to restart the game
  • A good connection all of a sudden turning into a bad connection with tons of lag
  • Attempting ot find a new host, and then the game ends

Also, I love ground war, but I prefer the domination gametype. Why can't they have a seperate playlist called "Ground War - Domination" Seperate? Too many games are matchmaking.

jiien

Pankaks said:
:lol Love when that happens.

On a different note. Has anyone encountered the loading bug? Where the map starts to load, the top right says waiting for other players, but it never finishes loading?

Yeah, I have. When in a party with other people, sometimes they end up getting into the game, and I'm still sitting there wondering what's taking so long.

It's not even that I was kicked because of another player joining that screwed things up. My partymates will check, and see only 5 people out of the 6 on the team I should have been on. It's just an annoying bug.

Hyunkel6

Pankaks said:

Very often, but it seems to occur less now. What's even more annoying is that the only way to quit is to return to dashboard.

jiien said:
There's a clear difference between camping and holding a chokepoint. People bitch about others camping when that person was hiding behind cover, watching an intersection or alleyway. There is NOTHING wrong with that. If you think you should always be running and gunning instead of helping your teammates by watching their backs, then you aren't playing the game correctly, and are just buttsore because you die against people that do.

Camping is when you have a douche that sits inside a remote room, where he can't actually see out windows or cover any areas, plants a claymore at the door, and waits for people to walk in. There's nothing wrong with defending your area, but when you can literally see nothing but the doorway right in front of you, and you contribute nothing but that to your own team, then you are camping.

Watching an alleyway contributes to your team. Watching a doorway does not. And not all doorways are pointless.

Some examples: If you are watching the doorway in the larger warehouses on Underpass, because you know/saw briefly someone about to come, or your teammates are sniping from the same building, there is nothing wrong with that at all. You are defending your position. If you are in some obscure, small room in one of the buildings of Favela (such as that bathroom, some people will know what I'm talking about) where you can't see out any windows, and you are obviously not defending the backs of anyone near you, since you're the only goddamn person in the room, and the room is definitely not a chokepoint, then you are camping and a douche.

I don't know which you do, but I think everyone should be aware of the distinction.

Exactly, there are some points on the map that can be "camped", and I have no problem with it. For example, camping the office building in Derail. I will put a claymore on both staircases, and then snipe out the windows. I can cover houses, water tower, the lake, the warehouse, the bridge, and parts of the trainyard. That, in my opinion, is a legitimate "camping" strategy. Likewise on Terminal. Setup in the plane, with a claymore at elbow, and one at the back. Chill in the nose shooting hallway/bookstore, on top of the tower, or go to side windows and watch bottom escalator/tarmac. But what pisses me off is guys tucked into a corner watching a single doorway, like Favela's bathroom, the bathroom at the top of Estate's mansion, or the little top room in scrapyard watching the stairs up. That is camping, and it pisses me off.

Getting sniped from a good position by guys smart enough to cover their ass doesnt bother me, shotguns sitting in a corner waiting for you to walk through a doorway does.

Railer

I actually like the matchmaking system. I've yet to had any kind of problems with it (PS3).
I always find a game really quickly. Sure, i play with people higher levels then me, but that doesn't really bother me at all.

I've also yet to experience lag in a game. Not a single match so far has been laggy. I haven't put down huge amounts of time on the game yet though, around 8 hours, but like i said i don't really have anything to complain about.

gibration

My PS3 freezes for a couple of seconds everytime I go to the multiplayer when I boot up MW2. Anyone else having this problem with 1.06?
EDIT: nvm it stopped

Odrion

Banned
My K/D is 1.3 and that's from me really not giving any shit so heh, pretty good!
whitehawk said:
The matchmaking in this is horrible..

• I always play with tons of level 70s and prestiege guys, when I'm level 45
  • Takes forever to find a match
  • Even worse finding a match when I'm in a party with a friend
  • Random freezing to due connection issues that force me to restart the game
  • A good connection all of a sudden turning into a bad connection with tons of lag
  • Attempting ot find a new host, and then the game ends

Also, I love ground war, but I prefer the domination gametype. Why can't they have a seperate playlist called "Ground War - Domination" Seperate? Too many games are matchmaking.
The matchmaking goes by your W/L ratio. Not rank.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Odrion said:
My K/D is 1.3 and that's from me really not giving any shit so heh, pretty good!

The matchmaking goes by your W/L ratio. Not rank.

That explains a lot actually. Considering how few people are playing to win they might as well use weather patterns to decide.

Lionheart1827 said:
Hmm. the version number on the 360 version says 1.1.602.0 is that the newest?

1.1.602.0 is the patch that was required to download at launch.

Microsoft needs to get off their ass and push this patch through fast. I'd gladly suck down some Akimbo 1887 if it meant no more Javelin or Afghan glitchers.

itsgreen

F#A#Oo said:
Why is every patch for the PS3 MW2 15mb?

It's weird...it's like they are just re-releasing the same patch...

Prob the same files that have to be overwritten, and changes are way below a meg of code.

Top Bottom