• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

been playing MW2 on 360 and decided to fire up CoD4 on PC last night to compare. A few thoughts on CoD4...

- This game is still really good but...
- I really missed all the new kill streaks and the new guns
- Holy crap I forgot how much better I am with a mouse and keyboard
- You can really feel the difference in map design philosophy between the two. CoD4 maps feel a bit more streamlined and simple. Not sure which I like better.
- First server I joined...first message that pops up: "BOYCOTT CODMW2" :lol

I think I may have to migrate over to PC for MW2, mainly for the controls. On 360 right now I am struggling to keep my K/D at 1.2.

For people playing the PC version...how is the competition? How is the lag? General thoughts?

RubxQub said:
Hmm...

XBL Gamertag:
DeuceMojo

...to file complaint or not to file complaint... :D

*sigh* Let me repeat myself for the umpteenth time.

Care package marker running is NOT a glitch. It's a deliberate speed boost (not carrying weapon = easier to move and run). You can argue about whether or not the speed boost should be nerfed, but it's not a glitch and there is nothing wrong with using it.

Hawk SE

Nardonicus said:
been playing MW2 on 360 and decided to fire up CoD4 on PC last night to compare. A few thoughts on CoD4...

- You can really feel the difference in map design philosophy between the two. CoD4 maps feel a bit more streamlined and simple. Not sure which I like better.

I think I may have to migrate over to PC for MW2, mainly for the controls. On 360 right now I am struggling to keep my K/D at 1.2.

For people playing the PC version...how is the competition? How is the lag? General thoughts?

I just did the same thing!

Well I just installed COD4 and COD W@W on PC. I have MW2 on 360.

Gonna play them to see how they "feel" in comparison

krazen

divisionbyzorro said:

Care package marker running is NOT a glitch. It's a deliberate speed boost (not carrying weapon = easier to move and run). You can argue about whether or not the speed boost should be nerfed, but it's not a glitch and there is nothing wrong with using it.

I would have sworn they mentioned it was going bye-bye in the 1.06 patch.

Nardonicus said:

I'm just curious how long it will be before CoD4 gets a TC to turn it into a copy of MW2.

kitch9

Banned
Nardonicus said:

I hate to say it but the PC version is awesome. I whinged about the no server thing before launch big time too, but the last game I spent this much time on-line with was BF2.

Pings are around 80-100 usually which ain't the best I've had, (Modified config file so more accurate ping measurement is shown.) but its the same for everybody else. Dedicated servers with the current player counts would be perfect as the 32-64 playercounts of COD4 are a clusterfuck there, and it would be worse here I think.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
divisionbyzorro said:

How is it not a glitch? SMGs have full mobility ratings, so they should be at the theoretical maximum.

RubxQub

I edited my post, but if anyone think Infinity Ward intentionally thought "Well...let's make it so when people have out their care package markers they run really fast so it's ideal for speed knifing!", then they are sorely mistaken.

If it isn't already addressed in this recent patch, it will be later.

web01

Anyone been having some weirdness about 10 hours ago?

Me and four mates were searching in team tactical and it kept putting us into other peoples private games they were all like wtf how you get in here ect.

The an even weirder thing happned we got put into a capture the flag match on Rust still in team tactical playlist but it had the same amount of players as ground war. This was also not a private game, other people were also wondering wtf was going on.

Was completely insane having around 24 players on that match nades were getting spammed evrywhere and air support was destroying everything, one of the funniest / craziest things i have seen on xbox live.

After that we just gave up because it wouldnt put us in a proper game but very weird.

RubxQub said:
How is it not a glitch? SMGs have full mobility ratings, so they should be at the theoretical maximum.

A glitch is an accident that typically requires doing something pretty obscure to exploit. Examples include getting inside map geometry or getting infinite care packages.

The speed boost from running with the care package marker is deliberate. Holding lighter equipment makes you move faster. I'll bet they didn't expect people to run around with it in a knife build, but I don't see them changing the parameters on it at all for three reasons. First, you give up the knife-runner's tactical knife. Second, you give up all of your ranged attack ability. Thirdly, you give up the ability to call in your care package. In exchange, you can run a little faster.

You're also assuming that the little bars when selecting weapons are actually accurate. They're not.

RubxQub said:
I edited my post, but if anyone think Infinity Ward intentionally thought "Well...let's make it so when people have out their care package markers they run really fast so it's ideal for speed knifing!", then they are sorely mistaken.

No, they probably thought "They don't have any weapons available other than their knifes and will want to get away from the battle to call in their care package, so we'll make sure they can move faster."

Enosh

Nardonicus said:
it's fun, I didn't experiance any major lag in the 36 something hours I have spend on the game and so far only 1 obvious hacker, there might have been more, but if they were they fucking suck even with hacks :D

so yeah 45€ well spend^^

competition, no idea if they are any serious leagues, I have seen some ESL stuff, but otherwise it's the standart, some people are better than me some worse, some days I dominate, other days I get my ass served to me

Ganhyun said:
I don't use the AUG as much as alot of GAF does. I tend to stick to the m4, scar, and ump45.
I'm only switching around guns to keep it fresh and score a few points, but when I make that final prestige I'll probably be an M16 man for life. I cannot say enough about that rifle.

Meanwhile, my favorites are the FAL and the SCAR, and been meaning to try the FAMAS.

kitch9 said:
I hate to say it but the PC version is awesome. I whinged about the no server thing before launch big time too, but the last game I spent this much time on-line with was BF2.

Pings are around 80-100 usually which ain't the best I've had, (Modified config file so more accurate ping measurement is shown.) but its the same for everybody else. Dedicated servers with the current player counts would be perfect as the 32-64 playercounts of COD4 are a clusterfuck there, and it would be worse here I think.

thats good to hear.

I agree on the large player count thing. I know some people liked those giant 64 person servers on PC but I think MW 1 and 2's multiplayer works best with 6v6.

I think the only thing I will really miss with dedicated servers is the ability to pick which map I want to play on.

kilongs

RubxQub said:

They addressed it by nerfing lightweight.

apparently IW is manned by a bunch of halfwits.

i mean melee range with commando already needs a nerf and now i find out that they intended to give players superhuman speed while holding the carepackage thus giving running classes insane speed and halo energy sword style lunges.

balance must of been the last thing on their minds when designing MP.

WickedLaharl said:
apparently IW is manned by a bunch of halfwits.

i mean melee range with commando already needs a nerf and now i find out that they intended to give players superhuman speed while holding the carepackage thus giving running classes insane speed and halo energy sword style lunges.

balance must of been the last thing on their minds when designing MP.

Read the posts above you.

RubxQub said:
Hmm...

XBL Gamertag:
DeuceMojo

...to file complaint or not to file complaint... :D
Hah. The Glitch Police. I'll admit, I have filed complaints against people who run a Javelin glitch all game.

Re: care package -- is there some unspoken rule that says "remain stationary while holding marker"? :lol To say they did not assign extra speed to your avatar, for whatever reason, while you're holding a care package marker is at best a conjecture, and at worst an opinion, and a bitter opinion at that.

I was unhappy at getting killed all day with akimbo shotguns. Is it a glitch? No. Still somewhat unhappy, but dealing with it.

Odd that MW2 is so rough around the edges compared to the incredibly smooth COD4.

Quick informal poll: What in MW2 do you consider a glitch, and what do you consider possible bad design, but not a glitch? Specific examples.

RubxQub

WickedLaharl said:
all i see above are excuses for poor design decisions.
This is where I stand.
DeuceMojo said:
Hah. The Glitch Police.
I'm just kidding, I only report javelin glitchers, but I don't like it one bit, sir!

I dont know. The only legit complaint with a true balance issue is the 1887s and the akimbo 3rd arm shit, at least for me. Other than that, all I can tell you is be more alert if there is a knifer in the area. It only sucks if the whole team is using a knifing class. Thats when you break out an LMG and start mowing people down. Stay away from enclosed spaces if possible.

If you don't like care package knifers step away from corners and shoot at them when they run at you, they don't even have a weapon! nor are they not on UAV or HBS since they have Marathon, Lightweight and Commando on usually!

If you get stabbed once realize you are facing a knifer/knifers.

In fact I think it kind of balances the game out and adds more stuff to account for a bit knowing you can be knifed really quickly if you are just sitting in a room looking out a window or guarding one hallway.

last night i had a guy lunge at me FROM TEN FEET AWAY.

i unloaded on his ass while he was flying across the room (scar + stopping power) and i still died.

yeah that kind of range needs to be reduced. or they could make it to where successful hits stumble the lunge.

HooCares

Neo Member
DeuceMojo said:
Quick informal poll: What in MW2 do you consider a glitch, and what do you consider possible bad design, but not a glitch? Specific examples.

Glitch:
Javelindom
Getting inside/under map geometry
Multiple care package call in exploit

Not a Glitch:

Care package run speed
Akimbo 1887

kilongs

WickedLaharl said:

i unloaded on his ass while he was flying across the room (scar + stopping power) and i still died.

yeah that kind of range needs to be reduced. or they could make it to where successful hits stumble the lunge.

Lag? I dont know the exact melee range that you have with Commando, but that does seem excessive.

Rawk Hawk

Lionheart1827 said:
I dont know. The only legit complaint with a true balance issue is the 1887s and the akimbo 3rd arm shit, at least for me. Other than that, all I can tell you is be more alert if there is a knifer in the area. It only sucks if the whole team is using a knifing class. Thats when you break out an LMG and start mowing people down. Stay away from enclosed spaces if possible.

Agreed. I do like WickedLaharl's idea of the melee attack being halted or at least slowed by bullets, the issue will be unless everyone is playing on the same TV the lag will likely allow the attack to successfully kill you before the bullets register as hits. But regardless I think that's fair, if someone's shot I'd say swinging your knife would likely slow down.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
WickedLaharl said:
Been there. Unload a clip... doesn't matter.

My problem is that my first instinct is to shoot when I have a close range encounter (e.g. going around a corner and a guy is there). This always fails if the other guy chooses to knife. Knife will beat gun 90% of the time. I need to train myself to knife instead of shoot.

RSTEIN said:
Been there. Unload a clip... doesn't matter.

My problem is that my first instinct is to shoot when I have a close range encounter (e.g. going around a corner and a guy is there). This always fails if the other guy chooses to knife. Knife will beat gun 90% of the time. I need to train myself to knife instead of shoot.

Slowly realised this myself, im getting much better with it, if im carrying my shottie i still try and force myself to shoot him in the face.

alterno69

Banned
This has probably been asked before but what's up with the mathcmaking putting me in games with people like 50 ranks higher than me, i'm only a level 26 and i'm like the lowest ranked player in 99% of the matches i play with the closest guy being at least 20 or so ranks higher than me, i hate it and it's not fun at all.

RubxQub

HooCares said:
Glitch:
Javelindom
Getting inside/under map geometry
Multiple care package call in exploit

Not a Glitch:

Care package run speed <--- Glitch or balance issue.
Akimbo 1887 <---- balance issue.
My take.

Picked this up earlier in the week, finally getting the hang of it (transitioning from Halo was rough). I think my K/D after my first night was .4 :lol :lol :lol . Finally getting the hang of it though.

alterno69 said:
This has probably been asked before but what's up with the mathcmaking putting me in games with people like 50 ranks higher than me, i'm only a level 26 and i'm like the lowest ranked player in 99% of the matches i play with the closest guy being at least 20 or so ranks higher than me, i hate it and it's not fun at all.
I run into this all the time. Hated it at first, as I kept thinking of the numbers as equivalent to your rank in Halo. They're not. Seems to be very little correlation between rank and skill. Think of a room with higher leveled players as an invitation to get that accolade for killing the most people ranked higher than you.

DarkJC

alterno69 said:

Ranks have little to do with skill, so don't worry about it.

Sielys

Do those random flecks of paper flying around bug anyone else? I'll be peeking around a corner, catch one of them in the corner of my vision and flip out trying to shoot it. And then I give my position away, I'm way to jumpy when I play this :lol

WickedLaharl said:
Shoot. Ten feet, man, you're in his kill zone. You're not just up against a gamer, and not a mere commando, you're up against this:

34tcuvt.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Snake Eyes can kill everyone in a 21-foot diameter before you can sneeze.

HooCares

Neo Member
Ultimately I think IW just underestimated how good knifing would be overall - look at the past games.

CoD4
Everyone had the same knife range and the only perk that boosted knifing was arguably Marathon

W@W

Same as CoD4, only now some guns can get Bayonet. It acts like Commando does now, only the thrust has a long recharge/recover time - if you miss once, you are generally fucked.

MW2
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando
Tach Knife
Care Package (must sacrifice Tac Knife)

We go from 1 knife boost, to 2 knife boosts, to 5 different knife boosts in MW2. All of these together really put knifing over the top as far as power. Maps without a ton of open space (Skid Row, Karachi) really cater to these classes. It's too easy to just run constantly and round corners knifing people. If the game weren't P2P it wouldn't be as much of an issue but with the lag and OHK nature of knives it's really powerful.

All I'd like to see is system similar to gears where if I get a shot off that hits, he can't knife me without a second or half second delay. If I miss, or he gets me from behind/side, he totally deserves the kill. IF not that, reduce the range bonus commando gives, just a little bit. Lightweight did not need a nerf. It's the least contributing offender of the 5 knife boosts.

Sielys said:
Do those random flecks of paper flying around bug anyone else? I'll be peeking around a corner, catch one of them in the corner of my vision and flip out trying to shoot it. And then I give my position away, I'm way to jumpy when I play this :lol

I thought this was a good touch. Along with the f'ing chickens, which STILL make we want to fire whenever I see them. :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
yeah knifing is ridiculous in this game

last few games ive switched to the knife class ive slaughtered entire teams in seconds before they can even react or even if they do its too late...or i magically survive their gun fire :lol

I hate the knifing too, only because it seems so random at times. I have an M4 class with Commando Pro and I just played a Demolition match on Highrise and some dude plants a bomb then sits in a corner. So I run in there, get literally almost right next to him and knife 2 times, nothing. Then he shoots me. But I bet if I'd tried to knife from 10 times the distance I was at, it would have been fine. I have seen some really crazy knife distances and people seem to be invincible when they are lunging.

alterno69 said:

Everyone has a "trueskill" rating, it's just invisible unlike Halo's (IIRC, Halo's is visible, right?). Your actual rank means absolutely nothing other than how much time you have invested into the game. Even someone with an 0.5 K/D ratio will eventually hit 70.

Top Bottom