• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

DeuceMojo said:
Odd that MW2 is so rough around the edges compared to the incredibly smooth COD4.

CoD 4 had many, many rough edges. The rock glitch in Afghan, for example, was discovered so fast because you enter it the same exact way people entered the rocks in Creek. There were crazy glitches like that in almost every level, and most of them were never fixed. Even a couple of months back people discovered how to hack into the game and pretty much destroyed it for a couple of weeks (this one eventually got fixed).

I'm actually surprised more glitches haven't been discovered yet in MW2.

butts

Has anyone run into strange net behavior when multiple people are using Lightweight? Last night there were 5 people on the other team all using lightweight, and even though everyone in the server had green connection they were stuttering all over the place like they were lagging. A lot of the time they were going way faster than they should have been even with the optimal speed setups.

(no, they were not holding care packages and yes, I have faced and used lightweight many times before this)

Probably just bad luck, but I thought it was pretty strange and EXTREMELY annoying. Its like the P2P connection couldnt keep up. I thought I was on the receiving end of a new lame exploit.

butts said:
Has anyone run into strange net behavior when multiple people are using Lightweight? Last night there were 5 people on the other team all using lightweight, and even though everyone in the server had green connection they were stuttering all over the place like they were lagging. A lot of the time they were going way faster than they should have been even with the optimal speed setups.

(no, they were not holding care packages and yes, I have faced and used lightweight many times before this)

Probably just bad luck, but I thought it was pretty strange and EXTREMELY annoying. Its like the P2P connection couldnt keep up. I thought I was on the receiving end of a new lame exploit.

Sounds like lag switchers, extremly lame.

Minamu

Well, there's definitely something weird about running with the care package grenade. You see, the knife kills won't register with any melee challenges. Tactical & the normal knife does but not with the CP. So either someone made another silly design choice, or someone simply missed it when coding the challenges, or it's a glitch. Imho :)

IW must be working on a gigantic patch. There's no way they'll allow all this to stand. Man.

Very surprising that PSN would get a Javelin fix almost immediately and XBL wallows in pools of vomit while legitimate users are disgusted by cheating 12-year-olds.

DeuceMojo said:
IW must be working on a gigantic patch. There's no way they'll allow all this to stand. Man.

Very surprising that PSN would get a Javelin fix almost immediately and XBL wallows in pools of vomit while legitimate users are disgusted by cheating 12-year-olds.

Blame M$ cert process (which is legendarily horrible, unless you're Bungie).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
DeuceMojo said:

It's in MS certification as of yesterday I believe.

Should get pushed out within a day or two..but a day or two too late! We needed this patch a week ago.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Loxley said:
I'm going to pine in and profess my love for the TAR-21, you can keep your fancy M4 and SCARs :D
Hell yes, my favorite gun in the game. It's like a perfect mix of the SCAR and ACR, if you ask me. I use it with sleight of hand and stopping power and it destroys. Almost no recoil, accurate at long range, great rate of fire... I love it.

jiien said:
I prefer Scavenger, as OMA replaces your Secondary. : ( And with Scavenger Pro, you basically never run out of ammo.

Dude, it's not about Ammo. Its about being able to switch to my RPD to take out UAVs, or being able to place two claymores at the start of a round, or being able to use a TI with claymores, or switch to a class with a launcher if a chopper gunner/ac 130 comes out(sadly this option is a one way road.) Which is why i think the loss of a secondary is the only reason i consider OMA balanced. Being able to replenish your ammo is just icing on the cake to OMA.

Fugu

If the patch that is awaiting MS cert is the same one that's live on the PC, all you're getting is a fix to the javelin glitch and a pretty useless lightweight nerf. It doesn't fix the knife problems and the akimbo 1887s haven't gotten any less stupid.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
RubxQub said:
It's in MS certification as of yesterday I believe.

Should get pushed out within a day or two..but a day or two too late! We needed this patch a week ago.
According to fourzerotwo's Twitter, it's been in certification since last Friday, at least. :|

lionelhutz said:
Why does it take so long and what do they certify?

MS Cert is responsible for making sure that nothing you do breaks anything on their long list of requirements. Things like making sure that the guide always comes up when you ask for it and performs within certain tolerance. I've heard of a game being denied cert because custom soundtracks wouldn't play if four controllers were connected at once via a USB hub. So it's all that little silly stuff that you take for granted when you use a 360 - the cert process makes sure it all works.

divisionbyzorro said:
MS Cert is responsible for making sure that nothing you do breaks anything on their long list of requirements. Things like making sure that the guide always comes up when you ask for it and performs within certain tolerance. I've heard of a game being denied cert because custom soundtracks wouldn't play if four controllers were connected at once via a USB hub. So it's all that little silly stuff that you take for granted when you use a 360 - the cert process makes sure it all works.

yeah, if you're pushing out an update to millions of paying subscribers who've also spent hundreds on hardware, you better be sure as shit it works and doesn't break anything.

The cert process does take awhile, but I appreciate their scrutiny.

GodofWine

Used dual P90's and dual rangers on favela last night, with lightweight and commando...I just wanted to see how far I could push the stupid meter in this game...and the answer is FAR.

But it was a laugh riot.

DarkJC

Church RvB said:
Dude, it's not about Ammo. Its about being able to switch to my RPD to take out UAVs, or being able to place two claymores at the start of a round, or being able to use a TI with claymores, or switch to a class with a launcher if a chopper gunner/ac 130 comes out(sadly this option is a one way road.) Which is why i think the loss of a secondary is the only reason i consider OMA balanced. Being able to replenish your ammo is just icing on the cake to OMA.

I was all excited about OMA and made 2 or 3 classes with it that I was planning on switching between, but ultimately I ended up ditching it because the timer to switch classes is too long imo.

DarkJC said:
I was all excited about OMA and made 2 or 3 classes with it that I was planning on switching between, but ultimately I ended up ditching it because the timer to switch classes is too long imo.

It gets shorter with OMA Pro, correct? How much shorter?

DarkJC

divisionbyzorro said:
It gets shorter with OMA Pro, correct? How much shorter?

Ooh, did not know this. Maybe it's something to get excited about again.

I did some google searching trying to find an actual time but all I can find is that it's faster.

edit: found a gamespot forum post suggesting OMA Pro takes about 3 seconds? That's pretty fast.

DarkJC said:
Ooh, did not know this. Maybe it's something to get excited about again.

I did some google searching trying to find an actual time but all I can find is that it's faster.

edit: found a gamespot forum post suggesting OMA Pro takes about 3 seconds? That's pretty fast.

It takes 3 seconds and it is well worth the 120 kills it takes to get it. I LOOOOOVE OMA so much. I even rock the Quick Change Artist title now. I thinkt he best part is being able to use TI + claymores. Hell you can even switch to another equipment class after that if you wanna really abuse it.

On a side note, another perk that gets far too little love is SitRep. It's my favorite yellow perk. And with SitRep pro I feel like I have a huge advantage. I'm all about setting traps for my victims. Even if i have to hunt them down.

Church RvB said:
It takes 3 seconds and it is well worth the 120 kills it takes to get it. I LOOOOOVE OMA so much. I even rock the Quick Change Artist title now. I thinkt he best part is being able to use TI + claymores. Hell you can even switch to another equipment class after that if you wanna really abuse it.

What about toobing?

Can you switch back and forth between two classes with toobs and have infinite toob ammo?

divisionbyzorro said:
What about toobing?

Can you switch back and forth between two classes with toobs and have infinite toob ammo?

You can switch between ONE class with tubes and have infinite tubes equipment nades and ammo. Or two classes that both have OMA. If you're into tubing kids, and I love it, got 65 tube kills in one game on Scrapyard (Yea I got hate messages that game) then its a MUST more so than Scavenger where you have to go out and put yourself in vulnerable spots to get more stuff.

xxjuicesxx said:
You can switch between ONE class with tubes and have infinite tubes equipment nades and ammo. Or two classes that both have OMA. If you're into tubing kids, and I love it, got 65 tube kills in one game on Scrapyard (Yea I got hate messages that game) then its a MUST more so than Scavenger where you have to go out and put yourself in vulnerable spots to get more stuff.

O_O

I must try this now.

divisionbyzorro said:
What about toobing?

Dude, you don't even have to choose a different class. You can choose the same class of toobs and just fire away. I do it here and there when i'm playing Domination and i wanna get a camper in his hidey hole.

So yes, infinite noob tubes. And guess what? Wanna make it even better? Put Danger Close on that class. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I prefer scavenger on my toobing class because if I have Thumper as secondary that means I have 4 continuous nades to spam an area.

With One Man Army, you only have two nades at a time with the nade launcher.

Cerrius said:
I prefer scavenger on my toobing class because if I have Thumper as secondary that means I have 4 continuous nades to spam an area.

But with OMA, you can apparently camp and continually blindly launch 'nades across the map! I'm really tempted to do this next time I play Scrapyard on Ground War; just sit back and launch my toobs over and over again.

Cerrius said:

I did this on my first prestige. I love the thumper, and like I've said before the loss of a secondary is the only reason OMA isn't over used and unbalanced. A launcher is sometimes necessary, a sniper almost always needs a secondary(i'd say same with riot sheild), and shotguns are just fun to use. It's the sacrifice you make to use OMA. It's worth it in objective based games.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I've never used danger close. What is the real impact to explosive damage. Has it been quantified? Like 20% Blast radius increase?

Chittagong

Gold Member
My god the last 25 levels come slowly. I've decided to quit once I max out at 70 and then reach K/D 1.0. I'm now 49 / 0.94 and the progress has slowed to a crawl

Sielys

Loxley said:
I like to think of the MS certification process like airport security, in that regard ;)

Ironic, that you use that analogy regarding this game:D

How does everyone like the F2000? I'm undecided, sometimes I rock with it, other times it seems like a real piece of crap. I prefer the iron sights to the red dot, holographic is ok tho. W/o bling, which attachments do you guys like with this gun?

Sielys said:
Ironic, that you use that analogy regarding this game:D

How does everyone like the F2000? I'm undecided, sometimes I rock with it, other times it seems like a real piece of crap. I prefer the iron sights to the red dot, holographic is ok tho. W/o bling, which attachments do you guys like with this gun?

Can't stand that gun. Tried it for a few games, went back to the ACR. Too much recoil imo.

RSTEIN said:
I've never used danger close. What is the real impact to explosive damage. Has it been quantified? Like 20% Blast radius increase?

Damage times 1.65. Thats all i can really say. But it's worth it if you're gonna noob tube, or pro pipe as some call it.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Found a teammate in Hardcore trying to do the rock glitch so I took care of him a few times. He then sends me a message calling me a "fag team killer". XBL at its best.

Hyunkel6

RSTEIN said:

Doesn't it simply increase explosive damage? From my experience, without the perk, people can walk over your claymore and live. With it, it's an almost guaranteed death.

winnarps

I'm new to One Man Army (on my second prestige now, but I haven't used it yet).

So in theory, you could set up the following:

Class 1
Primary: WA2000 w/ Silencer
Equipment: Tactical Insertion
Perk 1: One Man Army
Perk 2: Cold-Blooded
Perk 3: Steady Aim

Class 2
Primary: M16 w/ Grenade Launcher
Equipment: Grenade
Perk 2: Danger Close
Perk 3: Ninja

Class 3
Primary: SCAR-H w/ Holographic Sight
Equipment: Claymore
Perk 2: Stopping Power
Perk 3: Commando

Class 4
Primary: Riot Shield
Equipment: Claymore
Perk 2: Hardline
Perk 3: Ninja

This would enable you to plant 2 claymores and a tactical insertion, and then camp with a class that has Danger Close. If you needed to swap to a sniper rifle or a riot shield, you easily could. If you needed 1 more kill for a killstreak reward and didn't want to risk hunting someone down, you could switch to the Hardline class you have setup with OMA and then launch the killstreak and switch back.

Correct?
This seems amazing; never thought about it before.

whitehawk

Banned
Chittagong said:
My god the last 25 levels come slowly. I've decided to quit once I max out at 70 and then reach K/D 1.0. I'm now 49 / 0.94 and the progress has slowed to a crawl
Same. I'm at 0.97 at lvl 46 now. It feels like it's taking forever to get to lvl 70/1.00 KD ratio.

Cipher

Sielys said:

That gun was such a disappointment when I unlocked it. I really enjoyed using it in the single player and spec-ops but it is really crappy in the multi-player. Not enough power and it recoils like crazy.

Church RvB said:
Dude, you don't even have to choose a different class. You can choose the same class of toobs and just fire away. I do it here and there when i'm playing Domination and i wanna get a camper in his hidey hole.

So yes, infinite noob tubes. And guess what? Wanna make it even better? Put Danger Close on that class. :lol

Goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc7wOq5n154

That's so awful.
I can't wait to try that!

Seventy5

Nelo Ice said:
yeah knifing is ridiculous in this game

last few games ive switched to the knife class ive slaughtered entire teams in seconds before they can even react or even if they do its too late...or i magically survive their gun fire :lol
Yeah, I just played a match of CTF and it was 2 guys watching their flag, the rest of the team with marathon, lightweight and tac knife running around the fucking map. I threw my controller for the first time probably ever. After the javelin bullshit, the knifing bullshit, the nuke camping, kill cams where i didn't even take a bullet yet died, etc I'm trading this game in. I've never gotten as aggravated with an online shooter as I have with MW2, not even Demon's Souls aggravated me. I really hope people on my PSN list start playing something different.

RickA238

chittagong said:

Wouldn't you just want to play MP for the fun of it? I really hate to spoil things for you, but once lvl 70 with a 1.0 K/D is reached, there's no endgame FMV.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Chittagong said:

I just got 70 yesterday and it is a complete crawl after 55. I think part of the problem was I already had all the XP bonuses for 1000 kills on four separate assault rifles. By the time I was in the mid 50's I didn't see much point switching to SMG's or Sniper Rifles since all the progress would be lost once I went into prestige mode anyway.

The other problem is objective games other than Search & Destroy didn't get the same proportional leap in terms of XP rewards. Ten points for every couple of seconds of holding an HQ location doesn't mean much when it is a mere fraction of what a single kill nets you. At least in COD4 getting the HQ was great for earning XP because it was worth just as much as a kill. Probably another reason as to why sticking to objectives are held in such low regard among most of the people playing this.

My K/D ratio is 1.55 now but I know it would take a hit once I gave up all the weapons and add ons I currently have.

I'm having a lot of fun with this, but my clan tag is [NOOB] because I still feel like I'm playing like one. I never played COD4 or any previous COD online.

I consider it a good game if I get a 1.0 K/D, and I rarely get a killstreak past 4.

Could you guys give me some pointers on the classes I'm currently using?

1. M16A4 with heartbeat and silencer, M9 with FMJ, semtex, flash, bling pro, cold-blooded pro, ninja pro, final stand. I designed this one for Hardcore modes but I'll use it in other modes too.

2. WA2000 with thermal and FMJ, M9 with FMJ, claymore, smoke, bling pro, cold blooded pro, steady aim pro, final stand. For when I want to do thermal sniping.

3. UMP45 with rapid fire, one man army, semtex, stun, stopping power pro, ninja pro, final stand. I usually choose this one at the start of a match and rush to a flanking position to catch the enemy team off guard. I get a lot of first bloods with it and often open the game with a 3-5 killstreak. I recently added one man army in hopes that I can extend those killstreaks.

4. M21 EBR with acog and silencer, M9 with FMJ, semtex, flash, bling pro, cold blooded pro, steady aim pro, martyrdom. My other sniper class. I'm working on getting thermal for it.

5. AUG HBAR with acog, stinger, semtex, stun, scavenger pro, danger close, sitrep, painkiller. This is my anti-air class, but it does decent against people with the aug as well.

Can't figure out which mode is more pointless, HC TDM or Sabotage. It's useless to do anything else but camp in HC TDM and no-one even tries to do the objective in Sabotage which just means 20 minutes of TDM. Boooooring.

Top Bottom