• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nelo Ice said:
knife class feels so slow now with the patch =(
damn the movement speed reduction on lightweight!
I haven't played since the patch went up, but I'm pretty annoyed by this. Not everybody who uses lightweight is a knife-spammer. They should nerf commando if they want to balance things out. Personally, I don't think the traditional knife class needs balancing at all, but that's just me. If other players don't check their backs once in a while, don't launch UAVs and look at radar, that's their problem — no need to whine. Great knife class players are few and far between because you have to really know the maps, know when it's safe to sprint (which puts you at a big disadvantage), know when to draw your primary weapon, etc.

Nelo Ice

Banned
vatstep said:
I haven't played since the patch went up, but I'm pretty annoyed by this. Not everybody who uses lightweight is a knife-spammer. They should nerf commando if they want to balance things out. Personally, I don't think the traditional knife class needs balancing at all, but that's just me. If other players don't check their backs once in a while, don't launch UAVs and look at radar, that's their problem — no need to whine. Great knife class players are few and far between because you have to really know the maps, know when it's safe to sprint (which puts you at a big disadvantage), know when to draw your primary weapon, etc.

i love switching to knife class when someone elses use it and then seeing them switch to another class after i own with it :lol

Nelo Ice said:
i love switching to knife class when someone elses use it and then seeing them switch to another class after i own with it :lol

Played right, a knife runner class is very effective at rooting out snipers on Wasteland. Even just one is often enough to discourage the thermal sniping that makes that map awful. That fact alone makes me love knife runners.

xxjuicesxx said:
So when you nuke it completely stops the Domination points. We were at 199 with
one point to go and had C capped on Highrise.

Nuke called in we lose. Even though we should have gotten that last point and ended the game before the nuke countdown ended.

LOL, i guess you shouldn't let them get a nuke

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
minx88 said:
I am getting my danger close and OMA kills right now. Works pretty damn good, had some people freaking out on me because I was killing them so much and getting multiple kills with one nade :)

My new nube toob class is pretty effective too :lol I've never played with this style and it's a blast. People must throw their controllers on the ground when they get killed repeatedly by my noob toob which takes no skill whatsoever.

SCAR+noob toob
Thumper
Semtex
Marathon
Danger Close
Commando

I find it's very streaky tho. I used the set up on Scrapyard and I kid you not I started like 20-5. Right when the match started I flanked through the shed on the side of the map to the building where the other team spawns. So, they were all going to the center of the map and I was behind them! I got FIVE knife kills in a row. They never saw it coming. Then missile, harrier but then I died so I didn't get my chopper gunner.

After this rampage I put together another awesome streak but then I hit a wall. I had 2 back-to-back deathstrike rewards :/ I guess the other team adapted and stayed at the perimeter more and waited for me to run at them like an idiot. I should have switched to a different class at this point (my default AUG/mid range class). I ended up with a record of 38-30 which was disappointing.

After equipping One Man Army and upgrading it to pro in like... an hour, I recorded a 27-5 on my first time out with the pro kit. Love it. I'm not even really missing my secondary.

Anyone like Demolition?

DeuceMojo said:
After equipping One Man Army and upgrading it to pro in like... an hour, I recorded a 27-5 on my first time out with the pro kit. Love it. I'm not even really missing my secondary.

Anyone like Demolition?
I love Demolition. It's literally all I play now. I really love the one-sided aspect of it. Plus, the match bonuses are ridiculous :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Played right, a knife runner class is very effective at rooting out snipers on Wasteland. Even just one is often enough to discourage the thermal sniping that makes that map awful. That fact alone makes me love knife runners.

just played a few games completely decimating with the knife class and after each game everyone left as soon as it went to lobby :lol

backflip10019 said:
I love Demolition. It's literally all I play now. I really love the one-sided aspect of it. Plus, the match bonuses are ridiculous :lol

Yeah, when I got 6,000+ with zero challenges, I knew this game was the new headquarters.

Or the new old headquarters. Not the new new headquarters, which is a game type that sucks balls. But not as much balls as hardcore headquarters.

RSTEIN said:
My new nube toob class is pretty effective too :lol I've never played with this style and it's a blast. People must throw their controllers on the ground when they get killed repeatedly by my noob toob which takes no skill whatsoever.

SCAR+noob toob
Thumper
Semtex
Marathon
Danger Close
Commando

I find it's very streaky tho. I used the set up on Scrapyard and I kid you not I started like 20-5. Right when the match started I flanked through the shed on the side of the map to the building where the other team spawns. So, they were all going to the center of the map and I was behind them! I got FIVE knife kills in a row. They never saw it coming. Then missile, harrier but then I died so I didn't get my chopper gunner.

After this rampage I put together another awesome streak but then I hit a wall. I had 2 back-to-back deathstrike rewards :/ I guess the other team adapted and stayed at the perimeter more and waited for me to run at them like an idiot. I should have switched to a different class at this point (my default AUG/mid range class). I ended up with a record of 38-30 which was disappointing.

I found myself with only about 45 minutes to play last night; so I tried the OMA Toob build for shits and giggles. You're right - it is very streaky, but I went just about 2:1 on each match that I played with it. I was playing Ground War, which is perfect for this sort of build since there are tons of people in the map. I got my Emergency Air Drop at least once every game!

The only problem is that when you decide to stop cheesing, your play style is all messed up. You get so used to poking your head around corners that you just shouldn't...

I'm trying to decide exactly what I think about this build. In reality, it's no more unbalanced than the ScavengerTube build, except that in some ways it's easier to build streaks with it (since you don't have to go hunting for more ammo). And if you just camp one spot, you're gonna get taken out quickly if the enemy is smart enough to watch killcams. I dunno...I need more time playing around with it to see if it's really worth it.

EDIT: Alternately, if the enemy is getting killed by toobs a lot, they could always put up a class with the blast shield. Problem is that almost nobody ever uses it.

Raide said:
Yes, its called "Equip a Launcher Pro" :lol
yeah, i know.. but i rather shoot people and not carry a launcher.. damn helicopers and fucking harrier fucks.. it takes the flow out of the game. hiding inside and shit..

Nelo Ice

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah, i know.. but i rather shoot people and not carry a launcher.. damn helicopers and fucking harrier fucks.. it takes the flow out of the game. hiding inside and shit..

doesnt bother me with cold blooded :lol
of course the only reason i bother to switch to my launcher class is if the copter or w/e is actually pissing me off...or i notice the guy is aiming for a nuke :lol

Always-honest said:

Cold Blooded. Cold. Blooded. It'll make a man out of you, running around during pave lows shooting/slicing people during straight-up dawg time.

Mad Max

backflip10019 said:

Yeah it's basicly the only thing I play. It's like S&D but without having to wait for 5 minutes, watching people camp, if you die.

thefit

Are these glitches in the pc version? Couple of days after thanksgiving there was an auto patch installed by steam not sure if they could be related.

I have to say the knifing is annoying I encounter it a lot in the Afghan map where there is room to run so I decided to do it myself sure enough I ran around with my finger on E and my kill count for that map increases dramatically. Sucks.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Always-honest said:
I don't carry a launcher with my cold-blooded class... I guess that's selfish of me (though if my team was really getting slaughtered, I'd switch classes and shoot some shit down). Maybe that's why you don't see more people with cold-blooded pro — they don't carry a launcher, so they're not destroying air support.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Does anyone know if Danger close increases range as well as damage?

If it doesn't increase radius Isn't it Kinda pointless for HC game modes where everyones health is already 30percent?

Just looking for clarification

DeuceMojo said:
Yeah, when I got 6,000+ with zero challenges, I knew this game was the new headquarters.

Or the new old headquarters. Not the new new headquarters, which is a game type that sucks balls. But not as much balls as hardcore headquarters.
:lol I think that the biggest match bonus that I ever got (total -- throughout 2 rounds and overtime) in Demolition was around 13,000. In that same game, I got around 28,000 points in challenges and ended up getting around 42,000 total points for one 12 minute match. It was awesome.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
I found myself with only about 45 minutes to play last night; so I tried the OMA Toob build for shits and giggles. You're right - it is very streaky, but I went just about 2:1 on each match that I played with it. I was playing Ground War, which is perfect for this sort of build since there are tons of people in the map. I got my Emergency Air Drop at least once every game!

The only problem is that when you decide to stop cheesing, your play style is all messed up. You get so used to poking your head around corners that you just shouldn't...

I'm trying to decide exactly what I think about this build. In reality, it's no more unbalanced than the ScavengerTube build, except that in some ways it's easier to build streaks with it (since you don't have to go hunting for more ammo). And if you just camp one spot, you're gonna get taken out quickly if the enemy is smart enough to watch killcams. I dunno...I need more time playing around with it to see if it's really worth it.

EDIT: Alternately, if the enemy is getting killed by toobs a lot, they could always put up a class with the blast shield. Problem is that almost nobody ever uses it.

The class also works great on domination. Get lots of multikills when dudes are hovering around the capture points. One time on Invasion 3 guys spawned at one of the flags (because a teammate was there behind a barrier) and I killed them all with one nicely place noob toob shot. With Danger Close you don't even really have to aim. Just somewhere in the vicinity and they're dead :lol Then with marathon you zip across the map, get a couple Commando knife kills, and kill the rest of their teammates with another Danger Close overpowered bullshit shot. Then bring out the Thumper for massive lulz. Oh, and maybe use my SCAR a bit here and there too. I love it :lol

RSTEIN said:
The class also works great on domination. Get lots of multikills when dudes are hovering around the capture points. One time on Invasion 3 guys spawned at one of the flags (because a teammate was there behind a barrier) and I killed them all with one nicely place noob toob shot. With Danger Close you don't even really have to aim. Just somewhere in the vicinity and they're dead :lol Then with marathon you zip across the map, get a couple Commando knife kills, and kill the rest of their teammates with another Danger Close overpowered bullshit shot. Then bring out the Thumper for massive lulz. Oh, and maybe use my SCAR a bit here and there too. I love it :lol

Yeah, GW : DOM is beautiful for toob kills. I found Terminal to be especially good for this.

Also, my favorite moment so far in this game: 1887 user comes around the corner in Skidrow. I DI kill him with my toob, then pick up his shotguns. He immediately comes back around the corner and eats his own 1887s. BONG! "Challenge Completed: Cruelty"

And now I roll with my favorite callsign ever:

OMFG.jpg

Emblem-abduction.jpg

Enosh

thefit said:
Are these glitches in the pc version? Couple of days after thanksgiving there was an auto patch installed by steam not sure if they could be related.
which one you mean?

the javelin one was fixed first on the PC since PC patchs don't need to go through certification, just internal testing

vatstep

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, GW:DOM is beautiful for toob kills. I found Terminal to be especially good for this.

Also, my favorite moment so far in this game: 1887 user comes around the corner in Skidrow. I DI kill him with my toob, then pick up his shotguns. He immediately comes back around the corner and eats his own 1887s. BONG! "Challenge Completed: Cruelty"

And now I roll with my favorite callsign ever:

OMFG.jpg

Emblem-abduction.jpg
Haha, I did almost the same thing and got that title the other night on Scrapyard. I haven't unlocked the 1887s yet, and probably wouldn't use them in one of my classes, but I pick them up whenever I get the chance.

I got "The Mastodon" title (keep a 5:1 K-D ratio for an entire match) last night. Started out like 7-0 or something like that, finished 25-5. I also got the "Live Long..." title by living for five-plus minutes. The match was on Sub Base, and I was playing fairly aggressive as I usually do, but no one could kill me. Pure luck as I usually don't live for more than a couple of minutes.

RSTEIN

Question: why does the noob toob sometimes not make an explosion when the shell hits the ground? Does it skip off the ground or something? It's kind of weird.

RSTEIN said:
Question: why does the noob toob sometimes not make an explosion when the shell hits the ground? Does it skip off the ground or something? It's kind of weird.

Read the posts above you ;)

In short, it has to travel a certain distance before hitting anything for it to arm itself.

EDIT: And you know else is great about the OMA Toob build? Claymores. SHITLOADS of claymores. EVERYWHERE.

Arjen

UFRA said:
On the part where you're coming down the hill and the timer starts to ge to the sub, I stuck to the wall of the buildings on the right side if you're facing straight towards the base while still on the trail down the hill. (if that makes sense).

I basically hugged the wall and stayed low, while launching predator missiles as soon as they are available. Don't forget about those!!

After I get to the "intersection" in the road sort of, thats when I start to cut straight over to the sub.

Really hard to explain, if that made any sense at all...basically, I stayed at the perimeter the whole time until I could get straight over to the sub, while launching predator missiles as soon as they were available.

Thanks for the tips, sticking to right side worked out great

RSTEIN

oh ok :D

So that's why I always died when I was close range and was all WTF WHY DIDNT THAT KILL HIM

Sorry, noob toob noob here :lol

careful

divisionbyzorro said:
I now have the blast shield on my main HBS class and it gives me oh so much satisfaction when I kill a noob tuber after he just launched two straight grenades in my area.

The only problem is I'll still forget to put on the mask every now and then. I think it should be on by default when you spawn.

RSTEIN said:
oh ok :D

So that's why I always died when I was close range and was all WTF WHY DIDNT THAT KILL HIM

Sorry, noob toob noob here :lol

Yeah, that's the only thing that keeps the OMA Toob build somewhat in check. Get up close, and unless they DI kill you, they lose.

pringles

Had a crazy game last night.

70-9, with a killstreak of 41.

Everything just clicked. Don't think I'll ever have a game like that again. I didn't really watch my stats until late in the game when one of the guys in my party went all "..uh.. dude.. have you seen your stats??" and I realized that, yeah, things were going pretty well.

Ever since I started using the AUG with grip and stopping power I've been having some really good games, and my K/D has slowly climbed from what used to be about 1.05 to now being at 1.45, which still isn't that impressive but like I said it's climbing slow but sure.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Is anyone else finding the scoring/XP system for the game being confusing...

I'm ranked #806020 atm and I'm level 70 non prestige (I will be prestiging)

I'm finding that because I play S&D I rank up quickly but in terms of leaderboard score I gain from S&D it sucks...most of the people that are equal to me in LB standing are level 45's-50's...

Then there are people on my PSN that are level 50 non prestige and their ranked #400,000 or so...:?

Basically from what I have grasped...the most beneficial mode for bettering LB ranking is TDM but for EXP it's S&D and Demolition...

EDIT: Basically what has irked me is all points values and how they get converted into different formulaes. It was simple in CoD4...what you earned was what you recieved and was what gets used for LB as well as EXP.

RSTEIN

pringles said:
Ever since I started using the AUG with grip and stopping power I've been having some really good games, and my K/D has slowly climbed from what used to be about 1.05 to now being at 1.45.

Another AUG convert. Excellent.

Actually, I better not say that. AUG SUCKS DON'T USE IT! :D Less people using it makes it better for me. My AUG will destroy your puny assault rifles.

pringles said:
Ever since I started using the AUG with grip and stopping power I've been having some really good games, and my K/D has slowly climbed from what used to be about 1.05 to now being at 1.45.

I've been thinking of returning to the Aug lately. Things started looking up for me when I first started using it. I love my ACR due to it lack of recoil, though. Maybe I'll do what you're doing and roll with a grip.

I always love when myself and 1 or 2 of my clan mates are in a room and then a 6 person clan comes in the lobby. We have the friends only chat mode on but I can always tell that they are talking shit. Then we end up kicking their ass back to grade school and they leave afterwards. Great feeling. :D

vatstep said:
I got "The Mastodon" title (keep a 5:1 K-D ratio for an entire match) last night. Started out like 7-0 or something like that, finished 25-5. I also got the "Live Long...".
Got both of these. How do I get that OMFG paddle?

HooCares

Neo Member
pringles said:
Had a crazy game last night.

70-9, with a killstreak of 41.

Everything just clicked. Don't think I'll ever have a game like that again. I didn't really watch my stats until late in the game when one of the guys in my party went all "..uh.. dude.. have you seen your stats??" and I realized that, yeah, things were going pretty well.

Ever since I started using the AUG with grip and stopping power I've been having some really good games, and my K/D has slowly climbed from what used to be about 1.05 to now being at 1.45, which still isn't that impressive but like I said it's climbing slow but sure.

I love when people tease by just saying the gun they use on a huge streak. I want details dammit!.

You're not in the mood for details?!?! Well you GET IN THE MOOD!! - George Costanza

Full weapon, perk, streak loadout please. Also map and gametype streak was achieved on.

HooCares said:
I love when people tease by just saying the gun they use on a huge streak. I want details dammit!.

You're not in the mood for details?!?! Well you GET IN THE MOOD!! - George Costanza

Full weapon, perk, streak loadout please. Also map and gametype streak was achieved on.

I'm going to guess Sleight of Hand Pro, Stopping Power Pro, and...well, that depends on playstyle. Hopefully not Steady Aim, since that would be a waste with that build. Last Stand, maybe? Or Ninja?

Accident

Red Blaster said:
I just chose the demolition playlist and was placed in a third person domination match

GRAET PATCH IW

fucking idiots

Yesterday i wanted to play Demolition and was put on a game of 3rd person Hardcore Demolition. It is a glitch, you can create a private match and it will become public with a host migration.

NYR said:
Of all the things to nerf, they nerf lightweight. So dumb.
Good thing I've had my "fun" with that. Running classes are fun byt somewhat useless. But hey, this should reduce the hard-charging knife wielders, right?

Top Bottom