• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Nelo Ice

Banned
punishing teams for camping with the knife class is o so satisfying :lol

just completely SLAUGHTERED a team on sub base who were camping by going on a 10+killstreak....without even using my missile/harrier/pave low :D

RavenFox

Banned
h4k said:
The knife got the foot it seems.
That would have been ok but if you look at the vid the knife actually bounced into the riot shield. I've had times where my grenade launcher round went right through the enemy.
Nelo Ice said:

just completely SLAUGHTERED a team on sub base who were camping by going on a 10+killstreak....without even using my missile/harrier/pave low :D
I salute this man.

I sold my copy, kinda sad, kinda relieved.

I just felt the game play went from Arcadey Sim to complete off the wall Gimmicky.

So many games the last 2 days consisted of..
1 guy camping his 7 kills to get his Harrier, thus before I or anyone could even shoot it down he had his 4 kills...which lead to a choppah gunner..which was player controlled and could destroy a whole team in seconds at the same time popping flares, thus leading to..a Nuke!!! yay!!! F' my 100 point lead in domination, xXKILLAHW33DXx killstreaked a win!

if that didnt happen a majority of the maps consisted of 1887's and toobs, thus followed closely by guys Akimbo'ing everything from pistols to slingshots and outdamaging my AR/LMG insta style.

And last but not least the headache of actually playing the game with a party. You know spending 80% of the night losing members, joining game 10 sec from being done, being racially harrased, losing more members, etc..

Anyone playing/play MAG? It seems to be the next FPS on he horizon and Id like to know how cheese filled it is? It be nice to have an FPS come down the pipeline sometime soon that isnt geared towards 10yr olds with A.D.D.
Sad what they did with the CoD series, I mean 4 wasnt OMG greatness but it trounces this Cheese/Gimmick fest.

divisionbyzorro said:
Most worthless game mode ever. Without an objective, Hardcore is about as dumb as it gets.

Nonsense, Hardcore tends to be where you dont have to put up with all the nonsense of regular, like akimbo runners, nobody shooting down air support, all guns being viable since it only takes one or two shots with anything to kill, etc.

But yeah, when it's nothing but campers...well, it gets a little frustrating. For me it's just a slower paced game, thats all. (still prefer core TDM, but I like the change of pace every once in a while and leveling up useless/hard to use guns like the FAL, TAR-21's RDS, L86, silenced snipers, and so on. (personal opinion, I realize somebody actually might love those guns)

Nelo Ice said:

Definitely, I recently flanked an entire team on sub base. Akimbo 1887s and commando. It was a lot of fun. Lightweight 1887 class ftw. Weeeeeee..

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Eh, my enjoyment with the game has hit a ceiling. I still enjoy it but the whole razzle-dazzle/ADD action/killstreak bombardment/1887 ninja thing starts to wear on you after extended sessions. I feel like I'm a Jackson Pollack painting. I find myself yearning for Barnett Newman :/

There's a lot to be said about restraint. IW really threw the entire kitchen sink into this thing. Instead of asking "Why?" they asked "Why not?" I feel that underneath the chaos and sensory stimulation is a very fragile and unbalanced game as a result of this approach.

Assembly Required said:
Definitely, I recently flanked an entire team on sub base. Akimbo 1887s and commando. It was a lot of fun. Lightweight 1887 class ftw. Weeeeeee..

Does SP even do anything to the 1887s? I always assumed I would use Hardline with 1887s (once I finally get there - damn it takes forever to level up), but Lightweight could be very valid as well.

When are they finally going to do a double XP weekend?

RSTEIN said:
I feel that underneath the chaos and sensory stimulation is a very fragile and unbalanced game as a result of this approach.

I totally disagree. 1887s aside, I feel like the game is actually pretty well balanced. We all just have to accept that it is different than CoD4. There are so many different ways to build successful classes; it's not just assault rifles with Juggernaut anymore. It's very varied, which makes it that much more fun for me.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if I want meticulously crafted balance and team-based mechanics, I'll play Battlefield:BC2. This scratches a different itch. It's twitchy, chaotic fun.

Pyke Presco said:
But yeah, when it's nothing but campers...well, it gets a little frustrating. For me it's just a slower paced game, thats all. (still prefer core TDM, but I like the change of pace every once in a while and leveling up useless/hard to use guns like the FAL, TAR-21's RDS, L86, silenced snipers, and so on. (personal opinion, I realize somebody actually might love those guns)
I'm working on a FAL ACOG build - it seems powerful and pretty accurate even with just a red dot scope. I'm hoping it'll be my mid-long range gun (silenced UMP still has my heart). Is it worth putting time into the FAL?

RSTEIN said:
Eh, my enjoyment with the game has hit a ceiling. I still enjoy it but the whole razzle-dazzle/ADD action/killstreak bombardment/1887 ninja thing starts to wear on you after extended sessions. I feel like I'm a Jackson Pollack painting. I find myself yearning for Barnett Newman :/

There's a lot to be said about restraint. IW really threw the entire kitchen sink into this thing. Instead of asking "Why?" they asked "Why not?" I feel that underneath the chaos and sensory stimulation is a very fragile and unbalanced game as a result of this approach.

Thats EXACTLY how I feel.

The game was great in the first week/2, but now with everyone unlocking stuff, exploiting the perks and unblanced weapons etc.. its just no fun what so ever sometimes.

Terminal, Highrise, Scrapyard (Favela, Base B in Domination!! WTF!!!)..almost unplayable outside of having a danger close toob/shotty class. The maps can go from OK, to downright bad.

Sucks cause liek I said I am/was craving a "good" new shooter, and loved CoD4 (SKipped WaW, Im so over the WW2 thing)

Maybe I burned myself, maybe the game just showed its true colors of lacking any depth outside of gimmicks. Even the base feature, you know the "Shooting" part is bad thanks to the infamous "magic bullet" and the world now made of paper (I watched an Uzi shoot me through a Telephone pole!!?? ahhh.."

Nelo Ice

Banned
Assembly Required said:

pretty much if i see a whole team camping i switch to knife and usually go on a complete rampage :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lince said:
didn't know hide-and-seek was available as a play mode, I believe it is listed as Hardcore TDM.
Hehehe.

So true, reason I do not play this match type,

I'm liking Domination more and more. A bit less campy than any of the TDM gametypes, since there is an actual objective to make people move. <3

divisionbyzorro said:
Does SP even do anything to the 1887s? I always assumed I would use Hardline with 1887s (once I finally get there - damn it takes forever to level up), but Lightweight could be very valid as well.

When are they finally going to do a double XP weekend?

Stopping Power isn't needed, duel 1887s are sufficient enough. I started out with hardline instead of lightweight but found lightweight provides a better advantage (move faster, semi circle strafe). I mainly use my 1887 class in ground war domination...I cap and defend points, works very effectively.

Here's the class details:

UMP45 w/ holographic sight
akimbo 1887s
marathon pro
lightweight pro
commando pro

DMeisterJ said:
Hehehe.

So true, reason I do not play this match type,

I'm liking Domination more and more. A bit less campy than any of the TDM gametypes, since there is an actual objective to make people move. <3

Domination and Demolition are the best gametypes IMO. Ground War TDM is also hilarious fun.

Revengeance said:
I'm working on a FAL ACOG build - it seems powerful and pretty accurate even with just a red dot scope. I'm hoping it'll be my mid-long range gun (silenced UMP still has my heart). Is it worth putting time into the FAL?

I personally cant use the FAL for the life of me. It's TOO accurate, I need to have a little bounce and spray to compensate for my not quite perfect aim. But if you can land 2 or 3 shots in quick succession the thing is a beast, like the M14 from CoD4 (which, conveniently enough, I was also terrible with). I use the FAL in hardcore with a thermal though, and it does wonders there. It's like a sniper with 20 bullets, deadly accurate and powerful enough to kill in one shot every time. Regular modes though I'm lucky if I get three or four kills in a round with it's bullets (I resorted to just using its tube to level the gun)

Nelo Ice

Banned
LiK said:
People get so pissed when I run around with the commando perk and knife the entire team. Hohoho

ive only got 1 hate mail with my knife class otherwise ive recieved all compliments whether i dominate with knife class or not :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
i love when ppl chase me after they miss their shots then they go full sprint thinking they'll sneak up on me but instead they eat a face full of shotgun :lol

LiK

Nelo Ice said:
ive only got 1 hate mail with my knife class otherwise ive recieved all compliments whether i dominate with knife class or not :lol
Yea, they tend to hunt me down and try to knife me back. I also get yelled at after the match is over in the lobby, lol

24 kills with knife only in one match was worth the hate :lol

Lince

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

I play Domination and Demolition exclusively, these are the modes that force some guys on the other team to go out of the camping holes.

btw I can't join US parties anymore, last patch has been excellent for games in my area (Spain, UK, France and Portugal) with a considerable smoother experience and 50-60ms ping games, but joining US hosts now make me warp around the map like crazy, prior to the latest patch it was just fine, yellow bars and shitty stuff but still playable.

the other day a PSN friend from Portugal (Dezimator) got the care package of a team mate, oh boy, the 12 year old Brit kid was screaming and cursing like crazy, I was laughing so hard it still hurts, it was more epic than chocolate milk Halo kid and Leroy Jenkins together. Not to mention how many times mom has come into the room of some kid to say "supper time, stop playing that..." and the kid just went "the fuck you want?" "get the fuck outta here" and stuff like that, the planet is doomed if these kids perpetuate their genes.

Nelo Ice said:
pretty much if i see a whole team camping i switch to knife and usually go on a complete rampage :lol

Ditto! It seems like 90% of my paybacks are knife kills lol. With UAV, its like playing connect the dots, sort of a meta challenge. Attempt to create the longest chain of kills.

LiK

xxjuicesxx said:
The 1887s you dont get til level 67 one of the last unlocks. You can akimbo other secondarys though but none are as crazy.
Oh, that explains it. I don't use the secondarys much and Im only 47.

careful

web01 said:
It is kind of tempting just for the extra class slots the average player like myself would not even bother doing prestige once. And if it doesnt change your stats or effect leaderboard stats then its not really hurting anyone else.

I would just worry if infinity reward set all your stats back to 0 for using this hack once they fnd a way to detect it, so I probably wouldnt bother.
Yeah same here. I have no interest whatsoever to Prestige other than having the extra custom class slots. Would be nice to have them for free, but then again, I would feel dirty about hacking the game.

Jesus fucking christ. Write up some code so it doesn't throw you in a game thats past half over in terms of score or time.

How fucking hard is that!?

LowParry

Revengeance said:

I actually have this build. It works well with mid range. The ACOG scope works wonders. Little to no recoil with the weapon is fantastic but you better have a good trigger finger. Even with stopping power, it takes two shots at close to mid range. Three with long range (which is annoying). It gives me the idea that a burst weapon would work great at long range (FAMAS or M16) with an ACOG scope. I'd test it out but I'm currently working on mastering the SCAR. Once I prestige again, I'm going to work on the FAMAS.

Sidenote: Some times when I chose Ground War, I'll randomly get placed in a FFA game on Rust. Talk about a fucking nightmare. :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:
I totally disagree. 1887s aside, I feel like the game is actually pretty well balanced. We all just have to accept that it is different than CoD4. There are so many different ways to build successful classes; it's not just assault rifles with Juggernaut anymore. It's very varied, which makes it that much more fun for me.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if I want meticulously crafted balance and team-based mechanics, I'll play Battlefield:BC2. This scratches a different itch. It's twitchy, chaotic fun.

I think there is a balanced game somewhere underneath all the recent chaos. As Pkm said, the first few weeks were awesome. Now that most everyone has unlocked the weapons, killstreaks, and has experimented with various perk set ups (OMA, DC, Marathon/Ninja/Commando) it's just a total clusterfuck.

I love the first 3 minutes of each match. I make may way strategically through the various intersections, strategize, and use my knowledge of the map. Then I die and am spawned in the middle of a sniper's crosshair or in front of a ninja waiting to knife me in the back. Or the other team gets a lucky air drop and bombards our team with AC130 shots. Or someone on the team spams with noob toob from halfway across the map. Skill doesn't rise to the surface. Rather, one lucky killstreak or fortuitous spawn point can almost make or break a match.

It's fun. I'm not arguing against that. I'm just saying that a bit more restraint at the margin would have created a much superior game. A game that can still be arcade fun but still have room for skill and strategy. If I had my way I'd take away some the perks, the dumb weapons (1887s) and pair down the killstreak menu.

Hahaha I just went into a game got Akimbo 1887d because of lag (my noobtube hit him on my screen dead on but apparently that wasn't what happened) It was seriously laggy when I got in.

Next I hear B being taken (this is Domination on Underpass) So I go behind the left passage way with the dumpster thats over by A and long range noob tube and get two kills, my teammate gets sniped and he has a Scar Tube gun I repeat and get 4 kills

Predator missile since I use Hardlines (waiting for Danger Close Perk to be available only a 15 rank right now) Gank 3 kills with Predator missile so I need 3 from Harriers to get Chopper Gunner, which I get. Chopper Gunner tears shit up, noones shooting it down, That map is pretty open actually especially the spawn points are all outside over by the place where you can glitch the sentry gun into the pole.

Final score 31-1.

Yay. Not once was I even remotely close to an enemy nor did they ever see me or have a chance at killing me. :lol

Hell I think I've found a new class. If I can get 4 kills I can usually get to Chopper Gunner :D

RSTEIN said:
I think there is a balanced game somewhere underneath all the recent chaos. As Pkm said, the first few weeks were awesome. Now that most everyone has unlocked the weapons, killstreaks, and has experimented with various perk set ups (OMA, DC, Marathon/Ninja/Commando) it's just a total clusterfuck.

I love the first 3 minutes of each match. I make may way strategically through the various intersections, strategize, and use my knowledge of the map. Then I die and am spawned in the middle of a sniper's crosshair or in front of a ninja waiting to knife me in the back. Or the other team gets a lucky air drop and bombards our team with AC130 shots. Or someone on the team spams with noob toob from halfway across the map. Skill doesn't rise to the surface. Rather, one lucky killstreak or fortuitous spawn point can almost make or break a match.

It's fun. I'm not arguing against that. I'm just saying that a bit more restraint at the margin would have created a much superior game. A game that can still be arcade fun but still have room for skill and strategy. If I had my way I'd take away some the perks, the dumb weapons (1887s) and pair down the killstreak menu.

I think it'll settle back down. People will realize that while things like OMA-toobing are fun for a while, the community has evolved to where you can't really dominate with those cheese builds consistently (toobing doesn't even clear out headquarters anymore, now that people are getting smart and wearing blast-shields to hold the HQ!).

As far as killstreaks, I think part of the problem is how useless bombing run killstreaks are. Theoretically, the value of a Stealth Bomber over a Pave Low is that it can't be shot down. But the Stealth Bomber almost never generates any kills, so why bother? I'll just take the risk on the other team being dumb. If bombing runs (stealth, precision) were buffed, I think you'd actually start seeing less harriers/choppers. Lowering the killstreak value of the EMP would also help a lot (I'd carry it into battle all the time if it was a 10 instead of a 15).

LiK

noire said:
Yeah, just prestiged and all I get are UAV & resupply. :(
I dunno I'm 47 and I think I only got the ac130 ONCE at a low lvl and I got airstrikes and copters a handful of times. It's usually UAVs or sentry guns :(

I know akimbo 1887s are viewed as broken, cheap, overpowered, etc. But holy fuuuuck are they godly on certain maps (such as invasion). So much fun. And yes, I've only recently obtained them.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
NYR said:
Just to respond to the people above on care packages, I would put money on the fact that care packages ate linked to your level. The higher you are the less chance of getting anything. I only got decent stuff pre level 30. After that all I got was up to the sentry gun level of goodies.
I've been between levels 40-55 the past couple weeks and I've still gotten chopper gunners, pave lows, attack helicopters, stealth bombers, etc.

LiK

Assembly Required said:
I know akimbo 1887s are viewed as broken, cheap, overpowered, etc. But holy fuuuuck are they godly on certain maps (such as invasion). So much fun. And yes, I've only recently obtained them.
They need to tone down the range. I can die from one hit from pretty far away. Can't wait to unlock it so I can piss off other guys :)

divisionbyzorro said:
But it takes the prestige out of prestige...

So? Why would I want to do everything again anyway?

In fact: why are most weapons not just available by default? That way, the akimbo 1887's would have removed long before release. Now, it's like they are still beta testing after release, but we all know they will NEVER fix it.

So why even bother? Why would you continue with a broken product which isn't that much fun anyway? I know the unlocking is addictive and all, but that's about it. Other than that, nobody cares about the game, the gamemode or even winning for that matter.
(and the dev doesn't care either, since they happilly took out dedicated servers on the only platform that has a legit purpose for them).

I mean, I hate cheating and I'd like to think that I am very considerate of teammembers (like defending someone picking up care packages and stuff, whereas others will try to take yours away from you... what kind of douchebag does that? Oh right, the killstreaker), but I do not want to spend forever on something that is quite usefull and shouldn't take that much effort to get. (the extra custom classes)

I'm not an online gamer that much, but I do understand why people keep coming back to Halo and not other games (on XBL). It's old fashioned, but at least it is fair (and less connection magic seems to occur, in my experience) and not as ADD as most modern shooters have become.

LosDaddie

Banned
Too much negativity in this thread right now.

Anybody else still loving MW2? I put in a solid 6hrs this weekend and loved every minute of it. MW2 may not be my GotY, but it will be the game I put the most time in to this year.:D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
If you aren't using akimbo 1887's and you've got them unlocked, you're only nerfing yourself at this point. As much as I hate the fucking things, they are just too godly NOT to use if you care at all about your stats. Anytime I see them on the floor I replace my secondary without thinking about it.

...I want Akimbo shotties just taken out of the game and the world will be a better place.

Also, I hate hate hate that I can't seem to find a class that works for me. The one I keep going back to is my Ninja build, but it's so frustrating that I can't just have all the things I'd want (I guess this means IW at least balanced the perk system very well...but god is it annoying).

Going with:

M: SCAR-H w/Silencer
S: Stinger Rocket Launcher
E: Semtex
SE: Flashbang
P1: Scavenger Pro
P2: Cold-Blooded Pro
P3: Ninja Pro

I hate not having cold-blooded, as I don't want to worry about what's in the sky hosing me, but I miss stopping power's damage which I need since I use a silencer. I miss sleight of hand so I can react faster to people showing up, but then I can't have scavenger, which I need for the SCAR. I want my sensitivity to be low for long distance shooting, but want it high for close range shooting. I'd want to hook up a grenade launcher to my gun, but then I can't have scavenger or I'd have to take off my silencer.

...RARRRRRRRRRRG

I really don't know why I keep playing this game :lol

LosDaddie said:
Too much negativity in this thread right now.

Anybody else still loving MW2? I put in a solid 6hrs this weekend and loved every minute of it. MW2 may not be my GotY, but it will be the game I put the most time in to this year.:D

*raises hand*

Leunam

xxjuicesxx said:
So many modded controllers playing.

Love watching bullets fly out of guns on killcam.

That's what bullets tend to do. :lol

Seriously though, what do you mean? Are you talking about someone firing an FAL like a SCAR? I imagine that shit gets annoying. I personally know someone who plays with a modified controller and as hard as I try to explain it to him, he doesn't seem to understand that it's very unfair to use a modified controller.

Top Bottom