• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

It seems like the more I play this game, the worse I get at it. I've also noticed that I can't play for more than 1-2 hours before my k/d ratio tanks (probably because I get more and more frustrated).

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
divisionbyzorro said:
In general, moving smartly and deliberately through the map is the most important skill you can have. Don't run around corners; in fact, sight around corners if you can. Understand the choke points, clear your corners, and move on.

And don't succumb to nerd rage. Accept that there will be a couple times in almost every match when you have a cheap death. Deal with it and move on.

Pretty much. But teammates running like madmen and getting shot makes the other team members give up their position!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
while I still think the MP is awesome and way better than COD4 (I remember matches where the opposition would have my team in complete lockdown with a combination of spawn camping and grenade spamming, awful awful experience) it is starting to grate a little.

it is really boring when you enter a game where almost everyone is just sticking to a hiding spot and picking people off from nowhere. not many people go for the objectives, even fewer bother with team work or strategy. Its a game built around pure selfishness.

This is one area where I think Gears of War does things better. If your team loses, your individual performance means very little.

I just don't have the patience to play intelligently either (i.e. camp). Whenever I follow a good player or watch youtube videos or something, everyone's play style is very cautious and slow, just hanging out in some spot, letting your team mates take the deaths and picking off passers by.

In comparison I'm rushing around to flank the enemy or defend the objective or help out in some choke point or countering a flanking enemy, that kind of thing. I'm far too goal oriented to play the way all the best players play.

Does your head in when you put all that effort into playing the game only to get killed by some asshole hidden in the corner of one of the many popular camping spots who clearly isn't bothered about anything other than defending that spot. he's not really playing the game is he, not pretending to be a soldier on a battlefield, he's playing the metagame of ranking up and earning points/killstreaks or whatever. I find that a bit of a shame.

Tkawsome said:
Kind of. You can combine many of those counters into the same classes.

And even if you don't play with a counter-class, simply playing smart with a standard assault class will still cause you to wreck shop and keep a high K/D or W/L ratio.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
divisionbyzorro said:
And even if you don't play with a counter-class, simply playing smart with a standard assault class will still cause you to wreck shop and keep a high K/D or W/L ratio.
Playing smart (aka playing slow as hell) will protect you 75% of the time.

Yeef

Tkawsome said:
After hearing the complaints about campers, people who run all over the map, and now guys who go prone, I imagine the only way people would be happy is if everyone fought red coat style where we all line up in a row and just shoot the person in front of you.
I don't really have a problem with campers or runners (most of my major problems with the game have to do with latency issues and map design), but the problem with bunny hopping/dolphin diving is that it doesn't affect your aim at all when it should. Unless you get the drop on someone there's no good reason that you should be able to win a one on one by going prone.

Yeef said:
I don't really have a problem with campers or runners (most of my major problems with the game have to do with latency issues and map design), but the problem with bunny hopping/dolphin diving is that it doesn't affect your aim at all when it should. Unless you get the drop on someone there's no good reason that you should be able to win a one on one by going prone.

Honestly, I don't see it happen that much. And going prone out in the open is usually just asking for trouble.

HAY GUIZ I JUST LAYED DOWN AND ALL YOU KEN SHOOT IZ MAH HAED!

Tkawsome said:
After hearing the complaints about campers, people who run all over the map, and now guys who go prone, I imagine the only way people would be happy is if everyone fought red coat style where we all line up in a row and just shoot the person in front of you.
I have been feeling this for quite some time, but never had a good-enough analogy. Ta, sir!

I get so tired of hearing bitching about this game. However, I have on occasion shouted extremely loud complaints while on XBL. When you're in a straight-up shooting match, one on one, coming at each other, it really does seem like the best connection wins.

jiien said:
Yeah, see, the problem is that MW2's community really isn't all that mature. Sure, we here at GAF see/realize how some of these VALID setups are breaking the game, but the community at large that plays the game could give two shits. As long as THEY are having fun, everyone else can go to hell. Which is exactly how most people play this game.

It's a shame. I've been playing with the same group of friends since WaW came out. WaW, for all the flak it got, had a really well done multiplayer. It wasn't over the top. The small group of friends I had all got better, and we began to work really, really well as a unit. We'd call out where we got killed, where the enemy was, what he was carrying, potential perks to watch out for, the directions we thought people were moving, and as you can imagine, we became unstoppable.

We still are for the most part. We still win 95% of the time when we actually get together to play. But the attitude that MW2 fosters is ruining my friends. Now, they're only concerned about themselves and their own killstreaks. "I want to get my AC-130" or "Get the fuck off my care package even though I just died and spawned across the map". They tend to start sniping, and just camp a corner, while a few of us that still care try to cover THEIR backs. Why the hell am I covering a sniper? He should be covering ME.

It's been bothering me a lot. The fact that people have their own killstreaks, and therefore, own agendas, ruins this game. And it fosters a terrible attitude amongst it's players. Fuck my teammates, I want MY killstreak. Seriously, people bitch when you call your own killstreak over theirs sometimes. "Fuck you, your Harrier is stealing kills from my Pave Low". What the fuck? We're on the same goddamn team.

So overall, I think the solution to the general attitude of the people that play this game is to completely nerf the killstreaks. I think they ruin the game much more so than broken class setups (like a Danger Close RPGing asshole with Scavenger. That shit is annoying as hell). I think the most powerful killstreaks should be are something like the Attack Helicopter, or maybe the Harrier. ALL killstreaks should come down in one missile. None should enable you to literally spawn camp. I mean, the point of designing a map and spawn points is to PREVENT the enemy team from being able to camp a spawn point. But when the fucking Chopper Gunner enables you do this easily, where the hell did the balance go? And because all of these killstreaks are so broken, everyone plays solely to get them, to hell with my teammates and the objectives.

Bah. I will keep playing this game, but it's very discouraging. I'm looking forward to BC2 already.

Great post and I agree. As a Gold Cross 55 in COD4, I really feel like the Killstreaks have changed the game for the worse. I will still play it and enjoy MW2 but I think that if IW was the band Guns N Roses then COD4 was IW's "Appetite for Destruction" and MW2 is their "Use Your Illusion".

RubxQub said:
Playing smart (aka playing slow as hell) will protect you 75% of the time.
Unless you have akimbo 1887 shotguns like the Terminator crossed with Steve McQueen and can run up on people and own them in .2 seconds. Then you need to play extremely fast. It also helps you to understand the rage on the other end of the shotgun.

RubxQub

LiK said:
Are campers really that much of an issue? The killcam makes it easy where to hunt them down
When you're dead it's too late, yeah?

...if they're dumb enough to stay where they were, sure, but campers are mastering the artform of subtle camping adjustments after a kill to where if you're trying to jump them, they'll be somewhere close but not where you expect.

Way too easy to camp in this game.

LiK

RubxQub said:

...if they're dumb enough to stay where they were, sure, but campers are mastering the artform of subtle camping adjustments after a kill to where if you're trying to jump them, they'll be somewhere close but not where you expect.

They tend to hang around the same area when I respawn, I love knifing them with money flying out :lol

RubxQub

LiK said:
They tend to hang around the same area when I respawn, I love knifing them with money flying out :lol
My favorite griefing method to these annoying bastards is in full effect if they use last stand. Shoot them until they drop on the floor and run away. Run back in and stick a semtex to their nutsack and run away laughing.

You get the Plastered challenge leveled up and surely you've annoyed/embarrassed the bastard :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
RubxQub said:
My favorite griefing method to these annoying bastards is in full effect if they use last stand. Shoot them until they drop on the floor and run away. Run back in and stick a semtex to their nutsack and run away laughing.

You get the Plastered challenge leveled up and surely you've annoyed/embarrassed the bastard :lol

im going to start doing that now :lol

OldJadedGamer said:
Great post and I agree. As a Gold Cross 55 in COD4, I really feel like the Killstreaks have changed the game for the worse. I will still play it and enjoy MW2 but I think that if IW was the band Guns N Roses then COD4 was IW's "Appetite for Destruction" and MW2 is their "Use Your Illusion".
Yeah, I'll buy the analogy. COD4 was a kick-ass rock'n'roll explosion, and MW2 was more of a double-album, look-at-me-I'm-a-prodigy-riding-the-hype kind of game. Still, I think it's pretty great. Enough changed without too much stale stuff. Maps like Favela and Terminal clearly outdo any design COD4 had to offer (remember playing Showdown 100 times? Wet Work?).

If it could've done anything better, it would've been nailing the double-album theme. How many maps are there? Seems like they could've doubled the maps and weapons, made this Modern Warfare Deluxe.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
DeuceMojo said:
Maps like Favela and Terminal clearly outdo any design COD4 had to offer (remember playing Showdown 100 times? Wet Work?).
I think MW2 has the greatest collection of maps since Unreal 2004.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
RubxQub said:

I find it funnier to get direct-hit kills with flash/stun grenades, but that's always a good way to go, too.

RubxQub said:

I've been trying to get the challenge where you kill an enemy in last stand with a direct contact kill from a stun/flash nade and I'm finding it hard. Whenever I have the time to chuck one at them it never seems to hit, no matter how carefully I aim. :(

Then again, just killing someone with a flashbang burst is lovely.

RubxQub said:

Then they're not exactly camping, are they? :p

-viper-

Banned
The map playlist for this game is awful. I seem to get the same 3 maps every time I play this game.

They should just put all the maps in the playlist and go through them sequentially.

DarkJC

Sub Base has really grown on me. That an Terminal are probably my two favourite maps.

I think a lot could be done to encourage teamwork by making the match bonus bigger for winners (maybe in objective gametypes only) and increasing the bonus you get for completing objectives. If you got like 6k for winning and only lets say 500xp for losing, suddenly people will care more. Also if you got 300 for taking domination points/planting bombs/etc (instead of the 150 it is now) it would be a lot harder for someone who is just camping for kills to top you in score.

I don't mind about all the camping. Hell I can camp my ass off too. Just picked up a 4 person tent at target. now all I need is my Thermas.

What I HATE is the gat damned 1887 shotguns. those things are such bullshit.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
-viper- said:
The map playlist for this game is awful. I seem to get the same 3 maps every time I play this game.

They should just put all the maps in the playlist and go through them sequentially.

Yeah, something is definitely wrong. I played Karachi and Scrapyard nonstop this weekend.

DarkJC

RubxQub said:

Seriously? At what point are they not camping? When they're running out into the open in line with your sights?

LiK

-viper- said:

Indeed, play ground war and you can get the same map right after you finished it except it's a different mode

R2D4

Banned
This game is full of idiots. Almost to the point were it isn't worth it anymore. You hang out in one building or room to hold a flag in Domination and you get yelled at when the games over. "All youz guyz do is fucking camp!" "Fucking camper noob!"
Same goes with the grenade launcher. I use it to full effect and why not. It's in the game. Anything in the game is far game. I go 35 and 3 and get yelled at "noob tubing f#g!" Don't run your ass in the wide open or hangout on ledges in wide open if you don't want to get tube fragged. Easy as that.

I hate the new Private Match glitch as well..... everyone just keeps putting that shit on Free For All Rust where you can even shoot your own teammates.

I did find one group of people playing Domination on Terminal with the Private Match xp going. That was AWESOME. After 26314367243723 in exp someone dropped a nuke.

-viper-

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Yeah, something is definitely wrong. I played Karachi and Scrapyard nonstop this weekend.
It's either Wasteland, Afghan or Estate that keeps on popping up for me.

I think the map design is pretty shit to be honest. COD4 had way better maps. There are only a small selection of maps that I actually like in this game.

Wasteland, Estate and Rundown are some of the worst maps I've played in. A lot of the maps seem to be designed for campers too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
R2D4 said:
This game is full of idiots. Almost to the point were it isn't worth it anymore. You hang out in one building or room to hold a flag in Domination and you get yelled at when the games over. "All youz guyz do is fucking camp!" "Fucking camper noob!"
Same goes with the grenade launcher. I use it to full effect and why not. It's in the game. Anything in the game is far game. I go 35 and 3 and get yelled at "noob tubing f#g!" Don't run your ass in the wide open or hangout on ledges in wide open if you don't want to get tube fragged. Easy as that.

noob tube noob.

LiK

MidnightRider said:
I hate the new Private Match glitch as well..... everyone just keeps putting that shit on Free For All Rust where you can even shoot your own teammates.

I did find one group of people playing Domination on Terminal with the Private Match xp going. That was AWESOME. After 26314367243723 in exp someone dropped a nuke.
Yup, I get that when I'm in a party. They fixed the javelin glitch but they didn't fix anything else.

RubxQub said:

My favorite is actually the opposite. Using the Semtex on yourself when you're in last stand. It stops the team from getting the kill and the enemy doesn't get any points for it either, it also doesn't look like it deducts any points from your team.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
-viper- said:
It's either Wasteland, Afghan or Estate that keeps on popping up for me.

I think the map design is pretty shit to be honest. COD4 had way better maps. There are only a small selection of maps that I actually like in this game.

Wasteland, Estate and Rundown are some of the worst maps I've played in. A lot of the maps seem to be designed for campers too.
I agree about Estate and Rundown. The latter is probably the map I've seen pop up the least, luckily. It sort of reminds me of Vigilance from SOCOM, except it sucks.

I actually like Wasteland for Domination. The battles in the bunker are too much fun — lots of grenade multi-kills.

RubxQub

DarkJC said:
Seriously? At what point are they not camping? When they're running out into the open in line with your sights?
So instead of roaming around looking to run into people, we should all just sit still and not move in hopes of people coming to us? GREAT! Why don't we all do that and we'll all get massive ki...oh wait, the game doesn't work if we all do that.

My thought is that I move deliberately and carefully, looking towards obvious chokepoints or looking to come up from behind people.

People that hunker down and don't move at all aren't playing a game anymore, and they make it impossible to anticipate where they're going to be camping.

LiK

Tkawsome said:
You get unlimited grenades with scavenger as well. Plus there's no waiting period when you change classes.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I need to lvl up Scavenge too since I never use it

RavenFox

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Jesus fucking christ. Write up some code so it doesn't throw you in a game thats past half over in terms of score or time.

How fucking hard is that!?
One of biggest complaints but don't tell oldjadedgamer that since it was in the last Modern Warfare.

Two best classes in the game right now IMO are Akimbo 1887 and One Man Army with grenades, noob tube and Danger Close.

I'll second the maps complaint. I am starting to hate Karachi since it's in such heavy rotation. Wasn't the map rotation in COD4 a little more of DO NOT REPEAT MAP X UNTIL MAPS Y AND Z HAVE BEEN PLAYED? Maybe not.

And on the private match glitch: it sucks. My friends have been organizing gigantic 8-12 player killfests, and it's freaking annoying. I don't like Rust, I'm not a huge fan of Domination, and my God, if I play 5 games of FFA in a month, I've played about 4 too many. Last night I had to recruit some of my friends to actually go play in a normal rotation so I wouldn't freak out and yell at all the dumbshits so intent on boosting. They can't patch that soon enough.

RubxQub said:
So instead of roaming around looking to run into people, we should all just sit still and not move in hopes of people coming to us? GREAT! Why don't we all do that and we'll all get massive ki...oh wait, the game doesn't work if we all do that.

My thought is that I move deliberately and carefully, looking towards obvious chokepoints or looking to come up from behind people.

People that hunker down and don't move at all aren't playing a game anymore, and they make it impossible to anticipate where they're going to be camping.

WTF are going on about? XD

The campers... They are becoming smarter, faster, and campier. Oh nooooo. Seriously, learn to fucking adapt, change classes, find different ways of approaching a situation. Slow and well thought out tactics ain't workin'? Switch it up.

Stop whining...seriously.

Unless you are playing Hardcore TDM, then get use to it.

Tkawsome said:
You get unlimited grenades with scavenger as well. Plus there's no waiting period when you change classes.

But with One Man Army Pro, it only takes 3 seconds to switch classes. With Scavenger, that 3 seconds (or longer) could very well be spent looking for a Bag anyway. And even when you do find a Bag, you have to wait until you reloaded your grenade launcher to start shooting. I've died many times because of it.

RavenFox said:
One of biggest complaints but don't tell oldjadedgamer that since it was in the last Modern Warfare.

There are a ton of bugs that are in MW2 that were in COD4. I only said before that if they didn't fix it in the two years since COD4 what would make you think they will fix it for MW2? It's just one of those things that suck a lot but you just have to accept.

-Yeti said:
But with One Man Army Pro, it only takes 3 seconds to switch classes. With Scavenger, that 3 seconds (or longer) could very well be spent looking for a Bag anyway. And even when you do find a Bag, you have to wait until you reloaded your grenade launcher to start shooting. I've died many times because of it.

I was thinking you needed two different classes for OMA to work, I never thought you could use it on your current class. I guess that would be a better pick.

Tkawsome said:
I was thinking you needed two different classes for OMA to work, I never thought you could use it on your current class. I guess that would be a better pick.
Yeah, took me a minute to find out you could just re-arm yourself over and over again, but after that... hello unlimited ammo and explosives.

I imagine it was designed to be more of an overkill class, but the more I played it, the more it made sense. A guy that can hold out in the Estate house, kill after kill, using Claymores, grenades, sentries really is a one-man army.

Top Bottom