• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

LowParry

RubxQub said:
I hate not having cold-blooded, as I don't want to worry about what's in the sky hosing me, but I miss stopping power's damage which I need since I use a silencer. I miss sleight of hand so I can react faster to people showing up, but then I can't have scavenger, which I need for the SCAR. I want my sensitivity to be low for long distance shooting, but want it high for close range shooting. I'd want to hook up a grenade launcher to my gun, but then I can't have scavenger or I'd have to take off my silencer.

...RARRRRRRRRRRG

I really don't know why I keep playing this game :lol

It's nice to want things. :lol But you have to find a fine line in the middle of all that. With the SCAR weapon, I believe I did find that resolution. First off with the lack of a silencer. The perk that scrambles the radar is idle for this. They can't see where you are shooting from a radar stand point. So in a way, you have your own personal silencer. AND, it helps to go pro to keep from dying from pesky claymores.

Cold blooded you can do without honestly. Stopping power is so much better to have. The way I counter a UAV is with a UAV of my own that I keep stocked with my killstreak rewards. The bad part, as you mentioned is the air support. It sucks but once you start learning the maps, you'll find key points to sit and camp for this times.

Scavenger you can keep along with your grenade launcher. :D Equip the thumper while you're at it and you have double the power.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
divisionbyzorro said:
As far as killstreaks, I think part of the problem is how useless bombing run killstreaks are. Theoretically, the value of a Stealth Bomber over a Pave Low is that it can't be shot down. But the Stealth Bomber almost never generates any kills, so why bother? I'll just take the risk on the other team being dumb. If bombing runs (stealth, precision) were buffed, I think you'd actually start seeing less harriers/choppers. Lowering the killstreak value of the EMP would also help a lot (I'd carry it into battle all the time if it was a 10 instead of a 15).
Good points. Although I did steal an enemy's air drop the other day and got 5 kills with the Stealth :D I think restricting the number of simultaneous killstreak rewards to 1 would go a long way.

Zeitgeister said:
I'm not an online gamer that much, but I do understand why people keep coming back to Halo and not other games (on XBL). It's old fashioned, but at least it is fair (and less connection magic seems to occur, in my experience) and not as ADD as most modern shooters have become.
Yeah. I find Battlefield 1943 almost more fun. It doesn't have the graphics and crazy options but that's precisely why it plays so well. If I had to play one game on a desert island I'd probably choose a Battlefield 1943 (with more maps) over MW2.

Leunam said:
That's what bullets tend to do. :lol

Seriously though, what do you mean? Are you talking about someone firing an FAL like a SCAR? I imagine that shit gets annoying. I personally know someone who plays with a modified controller and as hard as I try to explain it to him, he doesn't seem to understand that it's very unfair to use a modified controller.

FAL does it too (modded controllers dream weapon) but I just got raped by an ACOG Barret .50 cal. The speed of a modded Barret is ridonculous (the recoil makes it useless when sniping but not so much with the ACOG)

Good guns to shoot on modded controllers (aka guns I've gotten raped by on killcam, went into Private Match to see if I could fire it that fast and even mashing the button furiously fast can't manage the speed they did):

FAL
FAMAS (a little bit)
Barret
Magnum .44's (most pistols too)

RSTEIN said:
I think restricting the number of simultaneous killstreak rewards to 1 would go a long way.

When I was putting together my imaginary Modern Warfare 2 in my head months ago, I thought about customizable killstreaks as well. Except, rather than having massively powerful streaks that went from 3 to 25, I imagined them as coming in slots, like perks. I think would have balanced the KS system much better, because everyone would carry in a low-level, mid-level, and high-level KS.

That said, as long as you keep an Anti-Air class around, most killstreak bonuses really aren't going to hurt that bad.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
RubxQub said:
Going with:

M: SCAR-H w/Silencer
S: Stinger Rocket Launcher
E: Semtex
SE: Flashbang
P1: Scavenger Pro
P2: Cold-Blooded Pro
P3: Ninja Pro

I hate not having cold-blooded, as I don't want to worry about what's in the sky hosing me, but I miss stopping power's damage which I need since I use a silencer. I miss sleight of hand so I can react faster to people showing up, but then I can't have scavenger, which I need for the SCAR. I want my sensitivity to be low for long distance shooting, but want it high for close range shooting. I'd want to hook up a grenade launcher to my gun, but then I can't have scavenger or I'd have to take off my silencer.
Have you tried the TAR-21? I used the SCAR exclusively for a while, but I gave the TAR a shot and never looked back. More ammo (so you might be able to get away without scavenger), comparable power, accurate from a distance... I love it. With sleight of hand and stopping power, I kill most people before they can even shoot at me.

CcrooK said:
What do you expect us to do? Just keep standing and shoot? :lol
This just broke my mind. I am now brain-dead.

LowParry

vatstep said:
Have you tried the TAR-21? I used the SCAR exclusively for a while, but I gave the TAR a shot and never looked back. More ammo (so you might be able to get away without scavenger), comparable power, accurate from a distance... I love it. With sleight of hand and stopping power, I kill most people before they can even shoot at me.

This just broke my mind. I am now brain-dead.

Don't forget, with the TAR-21, you're able to throw out a flash/stun grenade on the fly rather than having to watch a full throw animation.

LowParry

Wait, that totally reminds me of something I saw the other day with grenades. There was a guy doing a knife run but he was running super fast. He was holding a smoke or care package grenade. I suspect it was a glitch but damn, he was running all over the place hella mad fast. Reminded me of the Gears of War glitch.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I feel like I need to remap my controller or something, but I can't take melee off of the analog stick otherwise I won't be able to knife fools I accidentally run into quickly.

...something about this game just infuriates me to the point of screaming at my TV when no one is home. :lol

My most usual scream is "WHY THE FUCK WAS HE EVEN DOING THAT!"

Basically I'll be coming around from behind everyone and then all of a sudden one of the dudes will whip around and grease me...despite me having cold-blooded and ninja...so there is absolutely no way he knew I was coming...

...or some guy will just be camping in the most random place on the map just waiting for someone to show up and pop them.

...or some guy on my own team will be blocking either where I'm trying to go or my escape route out and I die.

...or some dude decides to Predator missile me despite having on cold-blooded and being nowhere near anything important.

...or some guy somehow is running around with a sniper rifle and able to use it with extreme accuracy and shoot quickly in close combat situations.

...or some guy will be jumping and shooting at me and somehow magically has perfect aim still.

...or how you can't trust anyone on your team to cover wherever they are looking in any kind of protect a point mode. I'm not checking my 6 because I see some guy covering that area...and yet someone will rush in and shoot me in the back, with no reaction from my teammate.

...or how you'll put 10 slugs into a guy's chest and he won't die, yet he hits me seemingly twice and I drop.

...or how if the only thing poking out over a crate is the tippy top of their head, they have full sight and are able to shoot over the crate as if unimpeded.

...or how the netcode seemingly does an awful job of tracking direction of view, because there are a billion times when I've been shotgunned dead when the person seemed to be facing sideways.

...or how in certain maps, you can be completely pinned down somewhere and unable to shoot down the enemy copter.

...or how the game easily lets people abuse matchmaking and get nukes all the time by just hiding somewhere and killing a guy over and over with tac-insert.

...or how when a game is lagging, apparently your guy glides all over the place whether you're moving or not and ignores all of your inputs until the host sorts it out...and you can slide off a ledge and die or come completely uncovered from the lag.

...or how the stupidest items in the game are not able to be penetrated with bullets. (really, wood crate in the middle of Highrise...really?)

...or how every place in the entire game has 50 different places that you could get shot from that it's impossible to check them all or travel with confidence.

I swear to God...so much wrong with this MP :lol

CcrooK said:
Wait, that totally reminds me of something I saw the other day with grenades. There was a guy doing a knife run but he was running super fast. He was holding a smoke or care package grenade. I suspect it was a glitch but damn, he was running all over the place hella mad fast. Reminded me of the Gears of War glitch.

You're really going to start that again?

It was a care package grenade. And no, it wasn't a glitch.

divisionbyzorro said:
Asking why weapons aren't unlocked from the start is like asking why spells aren't unlocked from the start in WoW. It sounds like this just isn't the game for you.

WoW is an RPG, where such matters are incorparated in the main design by default.

This is competitive online FPS, where you would expect players to play to win and try to win based on skill. I have no problem with design variation among shooters, but the overal rule of "fairness by rules" cannot be ignored in competitive play. In particular because competitive play borders on 'sport' and it tends to be more serious.
(in the real world, it's why sports are checked so rigorously on cheating)

It's not that the unlocking or RPG element breaks the game fundamentally (there is always hardcore and it didn't break MW1 or WaW, hard to kill tanks and dogs did though), but now that killstreaks have become such an overal gamewinning presence, player behavior is now based on getting those killstreaks and upping ones own stats, without any regard for what the team is doing (in team based games) or whether one is even winning the game.

Because if you are losing, one nuke gives you the game anyway. There is absolutely no point in playing anything other then free-for-all, because that's what everything boils down to anyway. It just happens to be easier to do most things (like camping) in Team Deathmatch.

Just look at the list of gametypes. There is a whole bunch of them! But can you think of any reason other than challenges to play CTF, Sabotage or any other team objective type?
(without a party of friends, that is)

Now this is not really a unique problem with MW2, but I hate the fact that I must play with friends in order to have some kind of decent team experience. Battlefield 1943 came very close to that spontanious teamspirit that marked the older games and I miss that in modern games. But MW2 does have a design that actually reinforces that attitude, which in my view breaks the fundament of competitive play.

LowParry

divisionbyzorro said:
You're really going to start that again?

It was a care package grenade. And no, it wasn't a glitch.

Well yeah. I've never seen it before and that's why I suspected if it were a glitch or not. First time I've ever seen it. I don't think the guy was doing it again after seeing him get killed over and over though.

RubxQub said:
If you aren't using akimbo 1887's and you've got them unlocked, you're only nerfing yourself at this point. As much as I hate the fucking things, they are just too godly NOT to use if you care at all about your stats. Anytime I see them on the floor I replace my secondary without thinking about it.

I almost feel the opposite. Sure, it's frustrating to play with people running around with dual shotguns, but they never seem to dominate, and rarely even seem to go positive - and they're easily countered by clarmores + scavenger.

I'm only level 30 or so after prestigng once, and I haven't even built a shotgun class, and I'm 2.00 k/d r.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
That said, as long as you keep an Anti-Air class around, most killstreak bonuses really aren't going to hurt that bad.
Here's the problem: you, myself, and probably everyone in this thread has some sort of AA class or carries a Javelin (I carry an exact duplicate of my current class but with cold blooded swapped in). But I don't see that online all that often. Most of the time I'm the only dude trying to shoot down the killstreak reward. So it's always up to me to take down the harrier or chopper. If I'm inside fighting for my life then my whole team is probably getting decimated. They get decimated which leads to higher killstreak rewards for the other team. Here comes the AC130!

I'm sure when IW was sitting around and thinking about killstreaks they thought "well, we have these perks and the Javelin which counteract any killstreak so having more than 1 in the air or having the killstreak reward come up after only 10 kills isn't an issue." But the whole premise relies on one assumption: players care enough to equip the proper equipment. In my experience they do not.

Maybe it's just a matter of providing the proper incentive? What if downing a helicopter counted as a kill? Or upping the points received? What if losing a chopper to a Javelin resulted in a death for the player that launches it (so there's some potential cost to the killstreak)? I dunno.

Yeef

RubxQub said:
...or some guy will be jumping and shooting at me and somehow magically has perfect aim still.

...or how you can't trust anyone on your team to cover wherever they are looking in any kind of protect a point mode. I'm not checking my 6 because I see some guy covering that area...and yet someone will rush in and shoot me in the back, with no reaction from my teammate.

...or how if the only thing poking out over a crate is the tippy top of their head, they have full sight and are able to shoot over the crate as if unimpeded.

...or how the netcode seemingly does an awful job of tracking direction of view, because there are a billion times when I've been shotgunned dead when the person seemed to be facing sideways.

...or how when a game is lagging, apparently your guy glides all over the place whether you're moving or not and ignores all of your inputs until the host sorts it out...and you can slide off a ledge and die or come completely uncovered from the lag.
These all annoy me as well, especially the stuff about the enemy's view.

RubxQub

RSTEIN said:
Here's the problem: you, myself, and probably everyone in this thread has some sort of AA class or carries a Javelin (I carry an exact duplicate of my current class but with cold blooded swapped in). But I don't see that online all that often. Most of the time I'm the only dude trying to shoot down the killstreak reward. So it's always up to me to take down the harrier or chopper. If I'm inside fighting for my life then my whole team is probably getting decimated. They get decimated which leads to higher killstreak rewards for the other team. Here comes the AC130!

I'm sure when IW was sitting around and thinking about killstreaks they thought "well, we have these perks and the Javelin which counteract any killstreak so having more than 1 in the air or having the killstreak reward come up after only 10 kills isn't an issue." But the whole premise relies on one assumption: players care enough to equip the proper equipment. In my experience they do not.

Maybe it's just a matter of providing the proper incentive? What if downing a helicopter counted as a kill? Or upping the points received? What if losing a chopper to a Javelin resulted in a death for the player that launches it (so there's some potential cost to the killstreak)? I dunno.
Counting a killstreak destruction as a kill is a great idea.

The biggest problem in my mind with killstreaks is that the best ones move around a lot and have flares to make it so you can't hit them...so if you're by yourself it's entirely possible that both of your attempted shots will get pushed aside and you'll be out of ammo.

Amazing killstreaks are so hard to take down and are so dominant that sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

RubxQub said:

The biggest problem in my mind with killstreaks is that the best ones move around a lot and have flares to make it so you can't hit them...so if you're by yourself it's entirely possible that both of your attempted shots will get pushed aside and you'll be out of ammo.

Amazing killstreaks are so hard to take down and are so dominant that sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

My usual MO:

Stinger - miss.
Stinger - miss.
Grenade suicide.
Stinger - kill.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've finally gotten to level 70. there is no way in hell I'm prestiging.
I've got 2 cheese builds right now and 3 serious classes.
3 Serious classes are all i really need for the game modes I play.

Cheese builds are for when i get pissed off at the other tubers or shotties. I figure fuck it Turnarounds fair play.
M16 with grenade attachement
Thumper
Scavenger
Danger close
sitrep
javilin
ect

Ump 45 rapid fire
Akimbo 1887's
Marathon
Lightfooted
Commando

I think I figured out something with the 1887's Its better not to use the steady aim perk(for HC i'm refering to) If i use steady aim I will frequently miss my shots when shooting both if my aim isn't accurate. However with Commando as long as they are somewhere in front of me they usually drop.
I think the inaccuracy of the spread actually makes them better. Kinda weird.

jiien

divisionbyzorro said:
I think it'll settle back down. People will realize that while things like OMA-toobing are fun for a while, the community has evolved to where you can't really dominate with those cheese builds consistently (toobing doesn't even clear out headquarters anymore, now that people are getting smart and wearing blast-shields to hold the HQ!).

As far as killstreaks, I think part of the problem is how useless bombing run killstreaks are. Theoretically, the value of a Stealth Bomber over a Pave Low is that it can't be shot down. But the Stealth Bomber almost never generates any kills, so why bother? I'll just take the risk on the other team being dumb. If bombing runs (stealth, precision) were buffed, I think you'd actually start seeing less harriers/choppers. Lowering the killstreak value of the EMP would also help a lot (I'd carry it into battle all the time if it was a 10 instead of a 15).

Yeah, see, the problem is that MW2's community really isn't all that mature. Sure, we here at GAF see/realize how some of these VALID setups are breaking the game, but the community at large that plays the game could give two shits. As long as THEY are having fun, everyone else can go to hell. Which is exactly how most people play this game.

It's a shame. I've been playing with the same group of friends since WaW came out. WaW, for all the flak it got, had a really well done multiplayer. It wasn't over the top. The small group of friends I had all got better, and we began to work really, really well as a unit. We'd call out where we got killed, where the enemy was, what he was carrying, potential perks to watch out for, the directions we thought people were moving, and as you can imagine, we became unstoppable.

We still are for the most part. We still win 95% of the time when we actually get together to play. But the attitude that MW2 fosters is ruining my friends. Now, they're only concerned about themselves and their own killstreaks. "I want to get my AC-130" or "Get the fuck off my care package even though I just died and spawned across the map". They tend to start sniping, and just camp a corner, while a few of us that still care try to cover THEIR backs. Why the hell am I covering a sniper? He should be covering ME.

It's been bothering me a lot. The fact that people have their own killstreaks, and therefore, own agendas, ruins this game. And it fosters a terrible attitude amongst it's players. Fuck my teammates, I want MY killstreak. Seriously, people bitch when you call your own killstreak over theirs sometimes. "Fuck you, your Harrier is stealing kills from my Pave Low". What the fuck? We're on the same goddamn team.

So overall, I think the solution to the general attitude of the people that play this game is to completely nerf the killstreaks. I think they ruin the game much more so than broken class setups (like a Danger Close RPGing asshole with Scavenger. That shit is annoying as hell). I think the most powerful killstreaks should be are something like the Attack Helicopter, or maybe the Harrier. ALL killstreaks should come down in one missile. None should enable you to literally spawn camp. I mean, the point of designing a map and spawn points is to PREVENT the enemy team from being able to camp a spawn point. But when the fucking Chopper Gunner enables you do this easily, where the hell did the balance go? And because all of these killstreaks are so broken, everyone plays solely to get them, to hell with my teammates and the objectives.

Bah. I will keep playing this game, but it's very discouraging. I'm looking forward to BC2 already.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Zeitgeister said:
WoW is an RPG, where such matters are incorparated in the main design by default.

This is competitive online FPS, where you would expect players to play to win and try to win based on skill. I have no problem with design variation among shooters, but the overal rule of "fairness by rules" cannot be ignored in competitive play. In particular because competitive play borders on 'sport' and it tends to be more serious.
(in the real world, it's why sports are checked so rigorously on cheating)

It's not that the unlocking or RPG element breaks the game fundamentally (there is always hardcore and it didn't break MW1 or WaW, hard to kill tanks and dogs did though), but now that killstreaks have become such an overal gamewinning presence, player behavior is now based on getting those killstreaks and upping ones own stats, without any regard for what the team is doing (in team based games) or whether one is even winning the game.

Because if you are losing, one nuke gives you the game anyway. There is absolutely no point in playing anything other then free-for-all, because that's what everything boils down to anyway. It just happens to be easier to do most things (like camping) in Team Deathmatch.

Just look at the list of gametypes. There is a whole bunch of them! But can you think of any reason other than challenges to play CTF, Sabotage or any other team objective type?
(without a party of friends, that is)

Now this is not really a unique problem with MW2, but I hate the fact that I must play with friends in order to have some kind of decent team experience. Battlefield 1943 came very close to that spontanious teamspirit that marked the older games and I miss that in modern games. But MW2 does have a design that actually reinforces that attitude, which in my view breaks the fundament of competitive play.

I think you are totally missing the MW2 strategy. The hook is not team play, or even winning the match. The aim is the unlock things. The hook is to get your rank up and unlock new items, raise your rank, get kill streaks so you can get that perk, get that new sight for your gun.

I think that you might like Bad Company 2 multi alot more based on your post. I don't disagree with what you are saying, but IW is throwing a Pokemon element into multiplayer. Bad Company 2 seems to be alot closer to what you are after.

I am not saying either approach is wrong, they are just different.

RubxQub

Oh yeah, and the matchmaking (team balancing) is absolutely fucked, and the spawning in game can place you directly in the view of an enemy.

I'd rather the game waited to spawn me in a safe location instead of just deciding to put me in a shitty spot because there was nowhere else.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
My usual MO:

Stinger - miss.
Stinger - miss.
Grenade suicide.
Stinger - kill.

But don't you think that's an issue? An investment's expected return is measured against its expected risk. Right now a killstreak is all return with no risk. I launch a chopper gunner and I have the opportunity to get 5+ kills easily and cap a run of probably almost 20 straight kills. How did this happen? Because I killed 5 people in a row so I got a missile. Then harrier. Then gunner. That initial 5 kill streak basically decided the entire game's outcome. It's all free to me. All gravy. It took no skill and I faced no consequences along the way. Not only that but in your case I actually caused someone to kill themselves just to try to defeat me!

CcrooK said:
What do you expect us to do? Just keep standing and shoot? :lol

After hearing the complaints about campers, people who run all over the map, and now guys who go prone, I imagine the only way people would be happy is if everyone fought red coat style where we all line up in a row and just shoot the person in front of you.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
RubxQub said:
Oh yeah, and the matchmaking (team balancing) is absolutely fucked, and the spawning in game can place you directly in the view of an enemy.

I'd rather the game waited to spawn me in a safe location instead of just deciding to put me in a shitty spot because there was nowhere else.

Spot On!
I really appreciate how 1943 let me pick spawn location or with squad when i die.
I'm really hating spawning all the way on the other side of the Map On Derail for HQ because some Douch Sniper loves sniping from ontop of the far back Train car.

Their Group spawning mechanic is horribly broken in objective modes.

Acidote

I just beat with a friend the Spec Ops mission "High Explosiv" on veteran. That's crazy guys, I don't know from who's sick mind came that out :lol. I killed the last one with the pistol from the ground while my friend was hiding like a rat behind an ammo crate.

_Xenon_

Banned
I'm building my SMG class but not sure which one is better: UMP or P90 ?

For the rest:
Striker (haven't got 1887 yet)
marathon pro
cold blood pro (or light footed pro?)
ninja pro

bloodydrake said:
Spot On!
I really appreciate how 1943 let me pick spawn location or with squad when i die.
I'm really hating spawning all the way on the other side of the Map On Derail for HQ because some Douch Sniper loves sniping from ontop of the far back Train car.

Tactical Insertion.

RubxQub

Tkawsome said:
After hearing the complaints about campers, people who run all over the map, and now guys who go prone, I imagine the only way people would be happy is if everyone fought red coat style where we all line up in a row and just shoot the person in front of you.
The problem is that the game has too much that you can't anticipate...so you can never have a sound strategy that's going to work for any map.

- Someone can always be hiding in some random ass spot that you could never anticipate.
- Someone can always be running around like an idiot.
- Someone can always be sniping.
- Someone can always have planted a claymore somewhere.
- Someone can always have a very different perk/weapon loadout.

This game puts way too much emphasis on choice and options and not nearly enough emphasis on rewarding execution and objectives.

RSTEIN

_Xenon_ said:

For the rest:
marathon pro
ninja pro

I personally like the P90 over the UMP. I would choose cold blooded over light footed if you have marathon already.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tkawsome said:
:lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
_Xenon_ said:

For the rest:
marathon pro
ninja pro
The UMP is the most versatile SMG. It's effective up-close and at range. The P90 is fun for lots of people, but I personally can't do shit with it. I'd try both, though.

careful

COD Energy Sword Video
Ridiculous. Really can't understand what they were thinking with Commando. That's the length of a room!

RSTEIN said:
I think there is a balanced game somewhere underneath all the recent chaos. As Pkm said, the first few weeks were awesome. Now that most everyone has unlocked the weapons, killstreaks, and has experimented with various perk set ups (OMA, DC, Marathon/Ninja/Commando) it's just a total clusterfuck.

I love the first 3 minutes of each match. I make may way strategically through the various intersections, strategize, and use my knowledge of the map. Then I die and am spawned in the middle of a sniper's crosshair or in front of a ninja waiting to knife me in the back. Or the other team gets a lucky air drop and bombards our team with AC130 shots. Or someone on the team spams with noob toob from halfway across the map. Skill doesn't rise to the surface. Rather, one lucky killstreak or fortuitous spawn point can almost make or break a match.

It's fun. I'm not arguing against that. I'm just saying that a bit more restraint at the margin would have created a much superior game. A game that can still be arcade fun but still have room for skill and strategy. If I had my way I'd take away some the perks, the dumb weapons (1887s) and pair down the killstreak menu.
I wish they would've have kept the maps a bit simpler and not have so many angles, windows, and rooftops to lookout for.

Always-honest said:
oh i get killed by guys like you all the fucking time.... just out of the fucking blue i get my head cut off....

how do i become like you? tell me. i want to do this to other people to :D
If they don't have ninja on or have scrambler equipped it's a matter of timing. Scrambler is easier to explain how to time. As soon as you see the radar screen starting to fuzz up, I park my guy just to the side of the doorway, sometimes facing a couple more degrees towards my side depending on the connection. I can tell you that I've missed before, but once I've started doing that it's easier to not miss. Once in position and you see the radar totally fuzz up, you have from 2 to 4 seconds before they run through the doorway (depending on whether they are running or not). Missing usually happens when they are running. I've knifed at a guy when I saw his whole body, but missed because I guess according to the server he was already by, but it's easy to recover since you basically have the drop on him. That's why I've started turning more towards my side or have pressed the melee button after seeing the guy's hands if they are running. As far as timing when they don't have Scrambler equipped, it's trial and error. Listen for the footsteps and eventually you will be able to time the perfect melee. Maps like Highrise are great practice when you know at the beginning of the match that someone will be coming from under the helipad. The way I play, I'm always flanking, so I know that I'm the only one on my team around and whatever noise I hear is from the enemy. So that helps me too.

I hope this helps you out.

RubxQub

I think all of my complaints revolve around IW's indecision as to whether this is supposed to be a realistic shooter or a something else.

Realistic gun stats and mobility ratings say "Realism".
Perk loadouts say "Something Else".
Able to die from anywhere at anytime say "Realism".
Running around with two shotguns in your had say "Something Else".

...I don't know, this game does something to me that I hate so much but I keep playing it because of the unlock system. I really do hate it :lol

Bad Company 2 sounds like it's much better, but I doubt the online community will be nearly as big...but maybe that's a good thing.

The Stealth Fox

There are just too many ways too die. Once I think I've countered a way to die because of my playstyle, some other issue comes up and I start dying in new ways.

If I don't die via campers, it's a predator missile/harrier/airstrike, and I have to spend time taking it out myself. And If I spend time taking it out myself, I often just get shot in the back while doing so.

RubxQub said:
The problem is that the game has too much that you can't anticipate...so you can never have a sound strategy that's going to work for any map.

- Someone can always be hiding in some random ass spot that you could never anticipate.
- Someone can always be running around like an idiot.
- Someone can always be sniping.
- Someone can always have planted a claymore somewhere.
- Someone can always have a very different perk/weapon loadout.

This game puts way too much emphasis on choice and options and not nearly enough emphasis on rewarding execution and objectives.

Choice is good, it allows innovation and can cause people to create loadouts even Infinity Ward might not have expected. It also allows a counter for almost any situation.

Hiding in random ass spots? Use a HBS if that's a constant problem. If they're always ninja or you just don't like the sensor, properly clear your corners even if you're on the other side of the map. It's helped me out a bunch since I started doing that.

Someone running around like an idiot? Use an explosive/danger close class. It worked great for me and completely wreaked the 1887 and knife nuts.

Sniper? Easy to deal with almost any loadout. Just take a different path next time you respawn and let your allies know where you think he is.

Claymores are not that big of a problem in this game (thank God). You can temporarily take them out by using flash (maybe even stun) grenades, SitRep, Scrambler Pro, you can even run past them if you're fast enough.

It's all about breaking from the typical mentality where you use the same class all match long and run to the same exact spot over and over again. With a little planning, you'll fix most of those problems you just mentioned.

RubxQub

Tkawsome said:
Choice is good, it allows innovation and can cause people to create loadouts even Infinity Ward might not have expected. It also allows a counter for almost any situation.

Hiding in random ass spots? Use a HBS if that's a constant problem. If they're always ninja or you just don't like the sensor, properly clear your corners even if you're on the other side of the map. It's helped me out a bunch since I started doing that.

Someone running around like an idiot? Use an explosive/danger close class. It worked great for me and completely wreaked the 1887 and knife nuts.

Sniper? Easy to deal with almost any loadout. Just take a different path next time you respawn and let your allies know where you think he is.

Claymores are not that big of a problem in this game (thank God). You can temporarily take them out by using flash (maybe even stun) grenades, SitRep, Scrambler Pro, you can even run past them if you're fast enough.

It's all about breaking from the typical mentality where you use the same class all match long and run to the same exact spot over and over again. With a little planning, you'll fix most of those problems you just mentioned.
You act like you can always have the proper class selected to suit whatever situation you run into.

Tkawsome said:

In general, moving smartly and deliberately through the map is the most important skill you can have. Don't run around corners; in fact, sight around corners if you can. Understand the choke points, clear your corners, and move on.

And don't succumb to nerd rage. Accept that there will be a couple times in almost every match when you have a cheap death. Deal with it and move on.

2v93r4n.jpg

This is me now. I figured the best way to get from level 67 to 70 and then prestige is to rock these freaking guns, which tend to score an average of 20 kills per match. I was #1 in the match maybe 30% of the time, owing mostly to the power of the shotgun.

Is that so wrong? :lol

DeuceMojo said:
2v93r4n.jpg

This is me now. I figured the best way to get from level 67 to 70 and then prestige is to rock these freaking guns, which tend to score an average of 20 kills per match. I was #1 in the match maybe 30% of the time, owing mostly to the power of the shotgun.

Is that so wrong? :lol
I did the same in order to get to my first prestige. I wanted to get there fast and get it over with so I could start building my character back up since I don't plan on prestiging (spelling?) again. Not going to lie, it was fun. Oh man did I feel cheap, but I had places to go and things to do!

jet1911 said:
I got kill by akimbo 1887 on Estate. I was entering the cabin from the front door and the guy who killed me was a the top of the staircase. Wtf?!
Yup. It's basically having a layout that has hardcore game mode physics in regular game mode settings. Like my friend says, it's crazy that a gun from the 19th century is the best gun in a 21st century game.:lol

jet1911

I got kill by akimbo 1887 on Estate. I was entering the cabin from the front door and the guy who killed me was a the top of the staircase. Wtf?!

RubxQub said:

I just noticed after playing team deathmatch that it isn't counting up kills but scores. When you kill a killstreak, points get added to your score. It made me think that someday people will turn the corner and not throw up some of the killstreaks because it turns into an instant +200 or +300 for the other team.

It's true that the flares will redirect the Javelin, but I usually die 10 seconds after the first shot anyways. By the time I shoot another one, I connect. I figured Flares were a one time use for the aircraft.

UFRA

Tkawsome said:

Call of Duty: Country at War confirmed.

Top Bottom