• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

sk3tch

divisionbyzorro said:
L4D2 is good, but if he's a huge MW2 player, what are the odds he'll break from it by Christmas for another online game?

DeuceMojo said:
I haven't heard anything about Left 4 Dead 2. As a die-hard, I like keep it fresh... Borderlands is a completely different kind of game, fun multiplayer. Is he a racer? Forza 3, Dirt 2 are both excellent...

I overloaded on shooters once... Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, some residual World at War and COD4 still left. Think that was last year, about January.

Thanks guys. I have Borderlands myself on PC...wasn't that impressed with it; probably because I've only played solo thus far. I know he's dedicated to MW2 but I am sure he wouldn't mind pulling himself away for something else to switch it up from time-to-time. He has a whole list of buddies that he only knows from CoD (MW1 and MW2), so I would assume he would play whatever they like to play online - therefore I am asking you guys. :) Thanks!

So as far as the 360 version goes...

First the javelin glitch?
Then the infinite ammo glitch?
Then the private match glitch?

Am I missing any or mess up the order?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Neuromancer said:
IW developers are born.
35 years later they introduce Akimbo 1887 shotguns.
World recoils in horror.
Then the javelin glitch.
Then the private match glitch.
Then the infinite ammo glitch.

Proper order.

DMeisterJ

Banned
About to master my AK47 as long as I get 54 kills through RDS... Getting the 40 FMJ kills didn't take forever, it just dropped my accuracy 1% and my K/D .02 points. Had to spray metal walls to spam kills, and had to not kill people in plain sight, going for kills through objects...

Hawk SE

With Christmas coming up soon, do you think the Infinite Ammo/Private Match glitches will be fixed?

I think these games will be stuck with us until the new year.

todahawk

onken said:
I don't know why anyone would go for holographic instead of red-dot, the reticule is far too big for distance shooting.

i'll have to compare but someone was telling me they like holo over red dot for the slightly increased zoom factor.

BlaneH

Banned
I have to say I'm glad I got this game on the cheap from Amazon. I will definitely play the single player but let's face it multiplayer is where it's at with this game. As someone coming in super late to the game and I just going to get glitched to death when I try and play? How wide spread are the problems?

BlaneH said:
I have to say I'm glad I got this game on the cheap from Amazon. I will definitely play the single player but let's face it multiplayer is where it's at with this game. As someone coming in super late to the game and I just going to get glitched to death when I try and play? How wide spread are the problems?

Right now? Pretty bad. Almost unplayably bad.

RSTEIN

divisionbyzorro said:
I've also heard that the holo gets slightly more aim assist than the rds. Can't confirm though.

I can confirm this with the AUG, at least. If there really is no impact to accuracy, recoil, or aim assist then I'd be shocked. I find that the AUG is much more accurate with the holo. I feel there's less recoil or something going on, too. Could be just in my head.

Doc Evils

ChefRamsay said:
Just a warning: MP was my break from the stupid veteran mode in SP. Especially when I hit a nearly game-breaking insta-death spawn point.

If you really want a break, I would choose a different game. Veteran might make you never want to touch this game again :lol

Let me guess, the favela?

Boy howdy, that ol' 1887 is something else. It makes me vaguely interested to seek out and buy this primitive lever-action shotgun that tamed the Wild West years before my ancestors arrived in the US.

But yeah, then the price of an 1887 could probably buy a lot of beer too...

Public Private Matches are on the PS3.

Infinite Ammo glitch doesn't carry over to new games unless the new game you joined also has the glitch. I got stuck in about five infinite ammo games last night and whenever I moved to a non glitched match I did not have infinite ammo.

daw840

Granted I haven't played this game much, but nothing is more infuriating to me than getting picked off by those goddam akimbo 1887s from the second story of a building while I am running in the street. That just shouldn't fucking happen. I had such high hopes for MW2, I played MW 1 for a combined 4 days. I played it all the fucking time, but now I just can't seem to get into this iteration. I am constantly pissed at the gameplay, I constantly get killed and very rarely do I actually go over a 1.0 KD ratio in any given match.

BlaneH said:
As someone coming in super late to the game and I just going to get glitched to death when I try and play? How wide spread are the problems?
No other problems than occasional 1887 annoyance on the ps3 version.

I also did something different today, I actually continued playing the single player... for FOUR missions! From the
oiltanker
to the end of the
White House mission
. The SP is kind of cool where there isn't alot going on but IW constantly tries to foil that by inserting 3 thousand enemies right in front of you, 2 more to your back and 5 to both of your sides.

daw840 said:
Granted I haven't played this game much, but nothing is more infuriating to me than getting picked off by those goddam akimbo 1887s from the second story of a building while I am running in the street. That just shouldn't fucking happen. I had such high hopes for MW2, I played MW 1 for a combined 4 days. I played it all the fucking time, but now I just can't seem to get into this iteration. I am constantly pissed at the gameplay, I constantly get killed and very rarely do I actually go over a 1.0 KD ratio in any given match.

402's twitter had something to say about 1887 balance recently; nothing specific about what they were going to do about it though.

Hawk xSx said:
Veteran in MW2 = Hardened in COD4

I'm not through all of it yet (on Second Sun now) but so far I'd have to agree with this. The first Favela level was hell-on-earth. After that, they've all been pretty easy compared to CoD4 and WaW. I probably haven't had to restart a single portion of any other level more than 5 times.

NYR

RSTEIN said:
IW developers are born.
35 years later they introduce Akimbo 1887 shotguns.
World recoils in horror.
Then the javelin glitch.
Then the private match glitch.
Then the infinite ammo glitch.

Proper order.
:lol
LMAO, post of the thread, for sure!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
R2D4 said:
All this game needs now is one shot one kill laser rifles.
Instagib FTW. I'd be happy with the Q3A railgun, as well. Make it happen, IW!

unomas

Banned
I love how everyone is bitching and moaning. There are plenty of people playing the game that enjoy it. My experience so far, I've run up against one Javelin glitcher that did it to me twice in one game, and the Akimbo 1887's are overpowered by a mile, but it looks like they're working on fixing that. I've yet to run into the infinite ammo glitch, and if I did I would just leave the match right away anyway. I prefer MW2 to MW1 for the simple fact that there is more variety in terms of perks, and that provides different gameplay situations.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
fourzerotwo just tweeted:
Preparing an in depth #MW2 Status Report for players to stay aware of what we're addressing & how it's progressing. Lots of updates in works
Interested in hearing what's included.

RSTEIN

DeuceMojo said:
Boy howdy, that ol' 1887 is something else. It makes me vaguely interested to seek out and buy this primitive lever-action shotgun that tamed the Wild West years before my ancestors arrived in the US.

But yeah, then the price of an 1887 could probably buy a lot of beer too...

You know what would be cool? Go to Mythbusters. Have them stand 50ft from a target. One guy holds two 1887s and the other guy has a SCAR/AUG/FAMAS/M16. Then say shoot. Then look at the target. Look at the data. Which bullet arrives at the target first? What bullett does more damage to the target? Did the 1887s even HIT the target?

RSTEIN said:
I can confirm this with the AUG, at least. If there really is no impact to accuracy, recoil, or aim assist then I'd be shocked. I find that the AUG is much more accurate with the holo. I feel there's less recoil or something going on, too. Could be just in my head.

Probably in your head. I use the AUG and M16 exclusively and I can say that the AUG has some of the best iron sights in the game and I repeatedly got long distance kills all the way across afghan on it. Personally I've always felt that holographic and red dots are a waste of time unless you can't stand to put in the time to master your guns ironsights. For the AUG especially I can't imagine using red dot over a grip.

For just straight loud gunning to me there isn't a better gun in the game than the AUG with sleight of hand and stopping power. If you and an UMP user both hit the trigger at the same time from close range you're likely to die but the AUG can just as easily win that matchup and it beats almost everything else out from any other range. Clip size, accuracy, good recoil and great power makes it relatively unmatched from a loud gun perspective.

Lately I've been more interested in going silent though. Originally I was fairly tired of the M16's low clip size in comparison to the AUG as well as its inferior killing power but once I got used to the ironsights and how the gun performed I found I was doing a much better job with my ammo count. Just little things like not firing at a person unless I know I can down him in two trigger pulls. Sometimes its better to save ammunition than to get that single kill.

I use sleight of hand, cold blooded and ninja and it just feels great to know I can hit flanks with great success if I'm smart. I'm trying to get my other silenced friend to actually use UAV as a killstreak. Better players these days tend to sacrifice UAV for higher killstreak rewards. I used to be apart of that group but lately my feeling is that two good players using UAV is more dominant than trying to achieve chopper gunners or AC130s. Two great players consistently getting UAV puts the other team on edge constantly, gives you constant flanking options and generally makes it hard to lose matches.

NYR

vatstep said:
fourzerotwo just tweeted:
Interested in hearing what's included.
Apparently info will be posted on the IW forums in a sticky thread. Can't wait, hopefully it is done today.

JohnsonUT

Dark FaZe said:
I'm trying to get my other silenced friend to actually use UAV as a killstreak. Better players these days tend to sacrifice UAV for higher killstreak rewards. I used to be apart of that group but lately my feeling is that two good players using UAV is more dominant than trying to achieve chopper gunners or AC130s. Two great players consistently getting UAV puts the other team on edge constantly, gives you constant flanking options and generally makes it hard to lose matches.

Not sure if you are talking about hardcore mode or not, but I totally agree. In hardcore mode, UAV is even more valuable than regular and people are still rarely using it. Unless you are really good, you are going to get 20 UAVs before you get a chopper gunner. Why not use the UAVs and most likely increase your kill count and definitely increase your teammates' kill count.

GQman2121

Banned
Just beat the game on Vet and I can safely say I'm done with the campaign mode forever now. It's just not fun. I hope the online mode get's cleaned up a bite, but so far it's been pretty great on the PS3.

Uhtred

"I played MW 1 for a combined 4 days. " Jesus so what am I supposed to say when I played for a combined 31 days????????? I am already on my 4th day with MW2........

RSTEIN said:
You know what would be cool? Go to Mythbusters. Have them stand 50ft from a target. One guy holds two 1887s and the other guy has a SCAR/AUG/FAMAS/M16. Then say shoot. Then look at the target. Look at the data. Which bullet arrives at the target first? What bullett does more damage to the target? Did the 1887s even HIT the target?

Realism doesn't matter. Players shouldn't have an OHK from that far away, especially when you don't even have to go ADS.

BTW - I lost the link to the MW2 weapon damage chart. Can someone repost it?

What's the private match glitch?

I just spend a good 3 hours or so in an infinite ammo room. Shit was hectic. It's either really good times as neither team spawn camps and everyone noob tubes away or its a terrible time as the other team is constantly launching nades into your spawn and you can't do shit but spawn and die.

One guy on my team got 2 AC's in one match, got like 70 kills. But then I got 68 the next game with no AC. How the hell do you get an AC-130 from a care packages? All I ever get are predators and fucking counter-UAV.

Hawk SE

Bumblebeetuna said:
What's the private match glitch?

I just spend a good 3 hours or so in an infinite ammo room. Shit was hectic. It's either really good times as neither team spawn camps and everyone noob tubes away or its a terrible time as the other team is constantly launching nades into your spawn and you can't do shit but spawn and die.

One guy on my team got 2 AC's in one match, got like 70 kills. But then I got 68 the next game with no AC. How the hell do you get an AC-130 from a care packages? All I ever get are predators and fucking counter-UAV.

That's basically it.

The Infinite Ammo glitch is part of a Private Match glitch.

Private Match glitch is basically two people tricking the system in opening a Private Match to become a Public Match that everyone joins. Depending on the settings, the game takes forever to end or never ends unless someone Nukes the joint.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Rayme said:
Modding the exe + data (which very-very few can do) causes it and begins the spread, but there are absolutely ways for this to be fixed. That is happening.

Good to hear, appreciate the info.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
sk3tch said:
Quick question for you guys:

My brother is a HUGE COD:MW2 player on 360. I would like to buy him another good online game for Christmas - as die-hard players yourselves...what would you recommend? I was thinking Left 4 Dead 2....

Thanks!!
L4D2 is a great game.

...that being said, I find it incredibly hard to go back to the L4D series after having played a ton of MW2. The pacing is all off, the customization is essentially gone, the amount of fun/anger had is much less.

Basically in L4D, you can get some great satisfaction from downing a survivor, or spitting in the perfect spot, or executing a perfect runthrough...but in MW2 you experience little awesome things all the time, and big awesome things more frequently as well.

I don't know. As much of a love/hate relationship that I have with MW2, I can't bring myself to play L4D2...and this is coming from someone who was a L4D1 addict.

Dark FaZe said:
Better players these days tend to sacrifice UAV for higher killstreak rewards. I used to be apart of that group but lately my feeling is that two good players using UAV is more dominant than trying to achieve chopper gunners or AC130s. Two great players consistently getting UAV puts the other team on edge constantly, gives you constant flanking options and generally makes it hard to lose matches.

In an objective-based game, going UAV->Jammer->Sentry is by far one of the most effective KS combos and is relatively easy to get. Constantly putting UAVs and Jammers into the air is a surefire way to win.

Of course, a good team covers all bases. If I was putting together, say, a 4-man team to play Mosh Pit for a few hours, we'd have two guys going UAV->Jammer->Sentry, and two guys going Predator->Harrier->EAD. We should have a fairly consistent stream of UAVs and Jammers, as well as a decent number of other goodies.

codecow

My first game today was an infinite ammo match. So I can't play normal games unless I wipe my HDD cache every time this happens?

I switched to COD4 instead.

TimeLike

RSTEIN said:

Newsflash. Shotguns in real life are actually deadly beyond 25ft. R. Lee Ermey on his show Lock n Load did the history of the shotgun. In one part he was riding passenger on a fast moving horse drawn cart/buggie with a 19th century shotgun in his hands. He was able to successfully hit three different targets as he drove by. Now just imagine if he'd had one of those guns in each hand!!

EYEL1NER

codecow said:
My first game today was an infinite ammo match. So I can't play normal games unless I wipe my HDD cache every time this happens?
I went back home for lunch to take care of some stuff and decided to jump onto some MW2. First MTDM I joined into, while picking my class I saw something that resembled the fire from an Earth Defense Force 2017 automatic grenade launcher shoot past, that "THOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMPTHOOMP." I realized immediatly it must be one of the infinite ammo matches y'all have been talking about recently. I must say, it wasn't too enjoyable, and that's coming from someone that likes to play weird like that, like using a knife class.

And after that, I got matched up with a [GAF]BodomThrasher or something on Afghan. Can't remember his handle on here, but it was my first time playing with a GAFfer. Pretty cool, even though we lost.

Ecto311

Anyone starting matches and being a spectator with the controller doing nothing to get you back into the game? You have to hit the xbox button and dump the game completely to come back.

unomas said:
the Akimbo 1887's are overpowered by a mile, but it looks like they're working on fixing that.
357lg82.jpg

Top Bottom