• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'd be half amused by this bullshit if I were not paying to play it online. This went from being a mess to being a complete fucking disaster. :lol

Sielys

Oh god, just experienced the weirdest matchmaking thing, I thought you guys were overacting, but dear lord I was wrong... Ground war size FFA on rust, it was godamn insane. It was also a private match, kept hearing little kids piping up "who the hell is sielys?"

Veelk

Banned
Papercuts said:
There is really no excuse for the game being THIS glitchy. If anything, it shows that an "AAA" studio like IW should already be well aware how important the beta process is, considering it's what happened with the last two CoD games and that went swimmingly. They already knew how popular the game was going to end up and talked all about it, instead of actually preparing for all these people to get their hands on it.

My issues with the game also stem farther than the glitches. The balance with all the insane killstreaks, when you get the necessary materials(stinger) to combat these killstreaks is too far away. The starting levels suck ass because you can do nothing but run or die from them, the starting AA isn't even worth using. The game basically felt like a grind to level 25 to get cold blooded so you could finally stop getting destroyed by them, then once you got to 30 it was fine. But that was never something I felt in the other games, even if you got better guns later--level 1 never felt disadvantaged like it is here.

I also hate the design of most of the maps, some of the perks just add frustratingly effective class builds like the lag-abusing long range knifers, the obviously overpowered shotgunners, weird hit detection issues that always get hilariously highlighted by the slow-mo end of match kill, etc. Even stuff from CoD4 like getting thrown into games just about to end haven't been fixed...oh, and I didn't even touch on the plethora of bullshit that went on with the PC release.

So I find it hard to swallow that Treyarch is just a second rate studio riding IW's coattails. I had a much better time with both the SP and MP with WaW than MW2 has provided. Not to mention they had cool modes like Nazi Zombies and ACTUALLY SUPPORTED THE GAME, unlike IW with 4. They have map packs for MW2 announced, but even now when the game is in this hilariously bad condition full of glitches and broken matchmaking, they are BARELY saying anything or keeping people up to date on what's happening. Just the occasional twitter update to let you know they are aware of it.

I honestly think Treyarch gets crapped on way too much for all they do. I still remember before WaW's release people just laughed when it was going back to WW2 after MW, but then it released, was pretty damn good, and was continually supported. IW has failed to support in the past, and aren't doing a very good community job right now either. I'd personally say they could learn a thing or two in humility from this "second rate" team.

DarkJC

Generic said:
I honestly think Treyarch gets crapped on way too much for all they do. I still remember before WaW's release people just laughed when it was going back to WW2 after MW, but then it released, was pretty damn good, and was continually supported. IW has failed to support in the past, and aren't doing a very good community job right now either. I'd personally say they could learn a thing or two in humility from this "second rate" team.

100% agreed, can't add anything more really. I was hoping that with MW2 IW would've learned how to support a community by now, but it's obvious they're still just as bad.

Generic said:
IW has failed to support in the past, and aren't doing a very good community job right now either. I'd personally say they could learn a thing or two in humility from this "second rate" team.

Let's not forget that this latest fiasco, the infinite ammo, isn't something that anyone should expect them to have caught. People had to literally hack the game with modded consoles, for goodness sakes. If anything, that's Microsoft's fault, not Infinity Ward's.

Now, the playlist glitches and shitty matchmaking? That's something else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
divisionbyzorro said:
Let's not forget that this latest fiasco, the infinite ammo, isn't something that anyone should expect them to have caught. People had to literally hack the game with modded consoles, for goodness sakes. If anything, that's Microsoft's fault, not Infinity Ward's.

Now, the playlist glitches and shitty matchmaking? That's something else.

Isn't the infinite ammo thing part of a pile on of the playlist glitches? The cause for infinite ammo itself is different, but it wouldn't be as widespread if people weren't getting tossed into these games without doing anything special.

AlkalineSolo

Neo Member
Cerrius said:
No QA team is going to find everything and when you have a game as big as MW2 you can bet the house that the kiddos online will try and break every single thing imaginable. This is the biggest FPS release this gen and IW is a AAA studio , they get the benefit of the doubt from me. I'm sure these issues will soon be resolved and the world will keep turning.

As for Treyarch, they're a second-rate studio that works off of whatever Infinity Ward builds. Enough with the hyperbole.

this is what they get for not having a beta. i'm pretty sure a lot of these glitches would have been found and fixed before release if they did.

Magik

Generic said:

While I don't have anything against Treyarch, they are a solid developer, you guys are given them way to much credit.

Of course WaW was good since it was based on CoD4's engine to begin with. Treyarch didn't create the engine, they just modified it. Any developer can make a good game when they are given all the vital components from the get go.

Do you really believe that IW didn't want to support CoD4 beyond the only map pack? Everybody knows that Activision is the one calling the shots and with the immense success of CoD4 do you really think Activision would have wanted IW to make map packs instead of creating the next installment that is a guaranteed success? On top of being a guaranteed success, the MW2 engine is also going to fuel the next filler CoD so there's even more incentive for Activision to push IW to focus on annual releases rather than continued support.

If there's one thing I can give props to Treyarch for, its their community. That I agree with you. They have done a better job at that than IW has.

DuckRacer

Hahahahaha this game is completely terrible. First match tonight, got put in an infinite ammo match, lol'd at the grenade launcher and 120mm AC-130 shell spam. Quit after the match ended, and the game put me into another infinite ammo match. Exited out, entered another match, it was fine. Decided to play some Ground War and get put into another infinite ammo match, which was literally going to end in 5 seconds with a nuke.

I thought MW2 would be one of the few games released this year that wouldn't disappoint me, guess I was wrong!
cameltoe said:
you guys see this little "trick"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrdLSkpUcIs&feature=player_embedded

its faster then tactical knife
:lol

Magik

I just stick to HQ Pro. For whatever reason I have haven't seen much of the infinite ammo glitch in that mode compared to Ground War.

jiien

Magik said:
While I don't have anything against Treyarch, they are a solid developer, you guys are given them way to much credit.

Of course WaW was good since it was based on CoD4's engine to begin with. Treyarch didn't create the engine, they just modified it. Any developer can make a good game when they are given all the vital components from the get go.

Hold on, dude. Look at what you're claiming. A game is not all about the engine. If someone hands you an engine, do you think you can make a competent game, just like that?

And again, regardless of the tools they've been handed, they still managed to create a kick-ass arcadey mode through Nazi Zombies, balanced gunplay, and well designed maps, among other things. And again, all of them worked.

We're not talking about glitches and bugs here (well, at least, I'm not). The engine has nothing to do with creating a balanced multiplayer.

DarkJC

Magik said:

Do you really believe that IW didn't want to support CoD4 beyond the only map pack? Everybody knows that Activision is the one calling the shots and with the immense success of CoD4 do you really think Activision would have wanted IW to make map packs instead of creating the next installment that is a guaranteed success? On top of being a guaranteed success, the MW2 engine is also going to fuel the next filler CoD so there's even more incentive for Activision to push IW to focus on annual releases rather than continued support.

If there's one thing I can give props to Treyarch for, its their community. That I agree with you. They have done a better job at that than IW has.

Just have to :lol at that. Gimme a break. Poor Treyarch, having to put up with shit like this.

Second, I always hear the "blame it on Activision" excuse, but how does that explain the amount of support WaW got through map packs and modes? Because compared to CoD4, it got tons.

Well, I decided to go back and play some CoD4 today. If anybody wants to join me, its a blast, all the good players are gone and its nothing but scrubs left. I've leveled up my M14, G3, Dragunov and M60 all to 150 headshots and now have golden camo for a sniper, LMG, and I'm one AR away (MP44). It's like a warm blanket on a cold night.

Magik

jiien said:
Hold on, dude. Look at what you're claiming. A game is not all about the engine. If someone hands you an engine, do you think you can make a competent game, just like that?

And again, regardless of the tools they've been handed, they still managed to create a kick-ass arcadey mode through Nazi Zombies, balanced gunplay, and well designed maps, among other things. And again, all of them worked.

In the case of WaW, it was all about the engine. The entire multiplier engine was exactly the same as CoD 4's with a few add-ons. The single player, down to the respawning, pinpoint-rage-inducing-enemy-accuracy was the same as CoD 4. My point about the engine was that Treyarch didn't have to spend the R&D time in making the engine which allowed them to work on other things such as the Zombie mode.

We're not talking about glitches and bugs here (well, at least, I'm not). The engine has nothing to do with creating a balanced multiplayer.

Multiplayer 'balance' was very subjective. All CoD multiplayer modes have always been unbalanced to me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Magik said:

I don't really get what you mean by this. The other responses already hit on most of the points, but it's not like an engine just autocreates the entire game. They had all different weapons, maps, etc. even if it was based on the same engine. And hell, look at MW2...same engine, but it clearly didn't just automatically create a functional product.

Pyke Presco said:
Well, I decided to go back and play some CoD4 today. If anybody wants to join me, its a blast, all the good players are gone and its nothing but scrubs left. I've leveled up my M14, G3, Dragunov and M60 all to 150 headshots and now have golden camo for a sniper, LMG, and I'm one AR away (MP44). It's like a warm blanket on a cold night.

Which version? I was playing some Domination on it last weekend. Oh how I miss the AK-74u. :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damn whiners.

They're going to change the 1887's? They're not even my most-used, let alone most-seen weapons! They're my anti-camp, anti-grenade launcher weapons, and they're in one of my run-n-gun classes, but come on man. I cause more ruckus with my silenced UMP + running/lightweight perks...

Just like when you get knifed, or grenaded just ONCE, you're supposed to know what's up and change tactics - never have I gotten rocked by people using 1887's...

They don't even fire that fast, even if you time the shots between each gun, and the reloading takes time - I remember the first time I ran into an Akimbo 1887 user, I killed him, stole HIS guns, and kept fucking him up the whole match whenever he tried to get me - if I died, I'd kill him, pick them up again and continue...

They're shotguns - they're supposed to tear you a new one from a distance - unlike the crappy-ass AA-12... hell, even the M1017 or whatever it's called might have less range, but it's just as deadly... and they were balanced in the sense that regular & prestiged players only had the window of level 67-70 to have them too - way better than earning the AK-47 at 70, which I tried out for a few matched and promptly dumped.

I'm disappointed. Dunno exactly what they're going to change, but I'm disappointed nonetheless.

Magik

Papercuts said:
I don't really get what you mean by this. The other responses already hit on most of the points, but it's not like an engine just autocreates the entire game. They had all different weapons, maps, etc. even if it was based on the same engine. And hell, look at MW2...same engine, but it clearly didn't just automatically create a functional product.

Like I said in my previous post, when you're given an entire engine with both the single player and multiplayer components it makes development so much easier and simpler. Look at WaW's multiplier, its almost identical to CoD 4 with only a few additions.

Treyarch didn't have to spend much time doing the R&D for it which gives them more time to focus on other things such as Zombie mode and the greater DLC support.

DarkJC said:
Just have to :lol at that. Gimme a break. Poor Treyarch, having to put up with shit like this.

Until they make a game on their own, with their own coding, and not relying on somebody else's work, people will continue to doubt them.

Personally I do hope they can get some room to make something that they can call their own since they do seem to be competent developers who unfortunately have higher ups that dictate what they do.

jiien

Magik said:
In the case of WaW, it was all about the engine. The entire multiplier engine was exactly the same as CoD 4's with a few add-ons. The single player, down to the respawning, pinpoint-rage-inducing-enemy-accuracy was the same as CoD 4. My point about the engine was that Treyarch didn't have to spend the R&D time in making the engine which allowed them to work on other things such as the Zombie mode.

Multiplayer 'balance' was very subjective. All CoD multiplayer modes have always been unbalanced to me.

First, I'm not talking about singleplayer. I take back my mention of Nazi Zombies. This is, and has been, a discussion of the fact that Treyarch deserves praise for making a competent multiplayer experience as a "second-rate developer", something IW, the supposedly far superior developer, has clearly failed to do.

Well, this is the last time I'm going to say this, and other people have said it too: An engine does not make a game. It's only an engine. The filler in the back. The artwork on top? That's all people. The stats of the guns, the design of the maps, additonal perks, that's all Treyarch. They did not simply skin COD4, and call it a WW2 game. Yes, they certainly took what was successful, and built upon it. But to completely cut out any of the work they did, successful work at that, and to place it squarely back on IW by claiming that it's all about the engine is just plain disrespectful.

Lastly, regardless of the subjectivity of an "opinion", by and large, the vast majority's opinion is certainly that MW2's multiplayer is unbalanced. And at the very least, much more unbalanced than WaW's ever was. Claiming that 'balance' is subjective is just deflecting the issue that yes, IW screwed up really bad here. And you'd be the only man denying it if you claimed otherwise.

Mogg0

Banned
Sielys said:
I for one loved the WaW maps. They were probably my favorite set of maps out of every FPS I've played. Unrealistic, I know, but I really hope the DLC mappacks have WaW maps.

You are a truth-speaker.

Spot on. Everything about WaW takes a steamy piss on MW2. Including the fact I was much better at it. :lol

Razor210 said:

I spend zero time at the IW forums, so I'm forced to take this all at face value. And on the face of it, it looks like Robert Bowling is doing a shitty job as community manager.

This is all a shame, really. The core multiplayer gameplay of MW2 is fantastic. It's A+. It's the best I've ever played (IMO). But all the peripheral stuff is horse manure. The matchmaking sucks, the lack of party chat on 360 is disgraceful, and the community management is ridiculous and condescending.

Of course, it can all be fixed! Pretty easily too! Add a few checks into the matchmaking logic to keep you out of half-finished games and stop splitting parties up. Turn party chat back on in all modes (okay, I suppose they can leave it off in hardcore or something - let the hardcore players play hardcore). And please listen to the community and stop treating them like idiots.

Doing that would go a long way to restoring confidence in what used to be the one of the most respected studios in the industry.

divisionbyzorro said:
Turn party chat back on in all modes (okay, I suppose they can leave it off in hardcore or something - let the hardcore players play hardcore).

It doesn't matter in Hardcore since there is a work around anyway. You can turn your chat options to "Friends Only" so everyone not on your friends list is auto muted. Serves the same purpose as party chat.

The only one it needs to be blocked for is Search and Destroy since you are muted when you are dead and party chat broke that. That is the only mode and it's a bug IMO that every mode besides S&D blocks party chat.

Not only shame on IW for doing it but super shame on MS for allowing it. After all, MS has the final say in the certification process and IW is messing with a feature of the system that has nothing to do with the game.

NYR

Fuck it. I'm done.

Just quit 3 infinite ammo games in a row. So frustrated that it really effected me even trying to play when I finally got a game...against an entrie team that was prestiged. I am level 59, what kind of crap is that? Combine that with an entire team using duel 1887's, I'm just done until a patch comes out to balance the weapons and fix the obvious issues.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tenth Prestige Hack is awesome. Too bad it's a "no-no," otherwise I'd use it on my main/primary PSN account. As someone that never prestiged in CoD4 and find prestiging for "My Little Pwn'y" in CoD6 stupid, it's awesome to have all the titles and shit and just... fucking play.

*sigh* I hope when IW patches it they let the "hacked save" stay for offline play. It's nice to have for split-screen (on PS3 there is no "two profile" mode like the 360, so you have to have multiple offline saves to use and then rank them up individually, takes forever...) mode.

Now to go back to my level 31 0 prestige account and GRIND MOAR. *sigh*

Mileena

Banned
jedimike said:
FFA is full of boosters... it seems the only mode I can stand playing is HCTDM.
Hard Camp TDM? I've never seen a hardcore TDM actually meet the winning score. It always ends because time ran out since everyone camps their asses off every time.

Smokey

TheSeks said:
Tenth Prestige Hack is awesome. Too bad it's a "no-no," otherwise I'd use it on my main/primary PSN account. As someone that never prestiged in CoD4 and find prestiging for "My Little Pwn'y" in CoD6 stupid, it's awesome to have all the titles and shit and just... fucking play.

*sigh* I hope when IW patches it they let the "hacked save" stay for offline play. It's nice to have for split-screen (on PS3 there is no "two profile" mode like the 360, so you have to have multiple offline saves to use and then rank them up individually, takes forever...) mode.

Now to go back to my level 31 0 prestige account and GRIND MOAR. *sigh*

Tenth prestige hack? What?

I was trying to decipher what it actually is from your post..but couldn't.

beast786

Skilotonn said:

Do you realize the range on that shotgun, do you realize you have one in each hand and can have one reload while other still shoots, do you realize the reload really doesnt take that long at all.

1887 is the most powerful weapon i have faced in FPS. Plenty of ammo , no recoil, huge spread of bullets, one shot kill, good range.

Seriously, I have it and i dont care now, but when i didnt it sucked ass playing with someone in maps that are mostly door to door shooting.

Seriously dude. You might not use it, but its damn the most unbalance weapon.

TheSeks

Smokey said:
Tenth prestige hack? What?

I was trying to decipher what it actually is from your post..but couldn't.

On PS3, there is a hack going around that'll give you instant 10th Prestige from switching around gamesaves with this hacked gamesave file.

So basically, you go from Level 1 0 Prestige to Level 1 10th Prestige in a matter of... two-three minutes.

There are people that are using it. But 402 has said it's null-and-void. I dunno if PSN will issue bans (they didn't for the Javalin Glitch) or if IW will ban you from MM (which is the reason why I'm not doing it on my main account. I'm getting MW2 for public/MM games). But it's a nice little thing for those of us that don't give a shit about Prestige but want the titles/emblems. :|

Smokey

TheSeks said:
On PS3, there is a hack going around that'll give you instant 10th Prestige from switching around gamesaves with this hacked gamesave file.

So basically, you go from Level 1 0 Prestige to Level 1 10th Prestige in a matter of... two-three minutes.

There are people that are using it. But 402 has said it's null-and-void. I dunno if PSN will issue bans (they didn't for the Javalin Glitch) or if IW will ban you from MM (which is the reason why I'm not doing it on my main account. I'm getting MW2 for public/MM games). But it's a nice little thing for those of us that don't give a shit about Prestige but want the titles/emblems. :|

Nice, so the game is broken on both systems!

At least IW is spreading the love!

TheSeks

sturmdogg said:
Are the infinite ammo and matchmaking glitches found on all the platforms, or just the 360 / PC?

Inf. Ammo, 360.
Matchmaking, 360 (PC, I dunno. Don't give a shit about PC)

10th Prestige (which is awesome, but illegal in "fair play"), PS3 only.

Nizz

TheSeks said:

Wow. Here I was thinking the PS3 was pretty devoid of glitches and this shows up. :lol I haven't experienced a lot of glitching, but I'm kinda worried jumping on tonight...

:lol @ all everyone bitching about glitches. Has everyone forgot the amount of halo2 glitches there were?

edit: I havn't even been in a infinite ammo glitched game (xbox version). I only play team deathmatch. I would like to mess around for a few rounds in a infinite ammo game, but just for kicks.

Draft

-viper- said:
Wow. MW2 sounds like the most broken FPS created.
It's not.

But it clearly needed a beta with fast track leveling.

Activision and Infinity Ward got greedy, skipped the beta, and now some poor saps have to work overtime patching the game.

Hmm, maybe IW hasn't totally abandoned their PC roots.

Smokey

Critical Jeff said:
:lol @ all everyone bitching about glitches. Has everyone forgot the amount of halo2 glitches there were?

really? halo2 compared to a fucking 2009 game that was the biggest release of all time?

really?

LowParry

I don't mind the private games glitch with the infinite ammo but every time I try to get into a game? C'moooooon. I'm trying to master the SCAR!

Top Bottom