• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Johnlenham said:
Yeah I fire off the big one then swap to the mid shell and bounce back and forth but chopper gunner is alot better in my opinion.

All the Ground war match's seem to end up Domination on Rust. Its fucking mental but I can barely stay positive

Just say "screwit" to your ratio and get your guns all leveled up.

I used to role SCAR exclusively, but haven't touched it in a while. Too busy with my UMP and FAL. Also, I just started working on an AUG, because I keep hearing people talk about it. I'm still pretty low level, so I guess I'm just waiting for M16 or ACR.

Also, THROWING KNIFE. I've never once gotten killed by it, but I use it all the time, which makes me feel special :lol . When you're as bad as I am, you learn to take joy from the small things.

Disguises

RubxQub said:
I usually just stuck to the middle level caliber of shells, because it seemed the most balanced as far as AoE and damage and zoom...it hadn't occured to me that each shell type was on it's on reload timer...never really tried.
Ahh, bad times! At least you'll be much better with the AC130 now.

Been watching a mate play all day. He was on 23 kills when his AC130 got shot down, after that, he decided to take it slow and steady to get his nuke when some guy ran round the corner and throwing knifed him. He didn't appreciate me laughing. On a good note, not seen any infinite ammo matches today!

kamspy

There's a great MP experience underneath all this bullshit somewhere. Too bad the only place you're going to see it is in closed private matches.

I would totally rebuy for PC if they patch in dedi's.

Also, does anyone know how the glitches are happening? Sorry if it's been covered. I've read that it starts on a pirated copy of the game and spreads to retail copies through some kind of memory cache loophole. I don't really believe this, so does anyone know how it's starting? The spreading part has me thinking though. There can't be that many pirated copies of MW2 on unbanned 360s....can there? Because I literally can't get into a game now that isn't either infinite ammo or a private match/boosting thing.

kamspy said:
There's a great MP experience underneath all this bullshit somewhere. Too bad the only place you're going to see it is in closed private matches.

I would totally rebuy for PC if they patch in dedi's.

Also, does anyone know how the glitches are happening? Sorry if it's been covered. I've read that it starts on a pirated copy of the game and spreads to retail copies through some kind of memory cache loophole. I don't really believe this, so does anyone know how it's starting? The spreading part has me thinking though. There can't be that many pirated copies of MW2 on unbanned 360s....can there? Because I literally can't get into a game now that isn't either infinite ammo or a private match/boosting thing.

http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/...s-infects-other-xbox-360-players-like-an-std/

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Revengeance said:
I used to role SCAR exclusively, but haven't touched it in a while. Too busy with my UMP and FAL. Also, I just started working on an AUG, because I keep hearing people talk about it. I'm still pretty low level, so I guess I'm just waiting for M16 or ACR.

Stick with the AUG. I keep repeating this but:

AUG + Grip or Holo
Sleight of Hand Pro
Stopping Power Pro

This combination will give you a weapon more powerful and more accurate and with more ammo than a stock assault rifle. With Sleight of Hand Pro you'll reload and aim just as fast, too.

Revengeance said:

Also, THROWING KNIFE. I've never once gotten killed by it, but I use it all the time, which makes me feel special :lol . When you're as bad as I am, you learn to take joy from the small things.

I read this as "When you're as badass as I am, you learn to take joy from the small things."

I've been playing around with the tar lately. Its a nice change up from the SCAR, with the faster firing rate, but shorter range.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
RSTEIN said:
Stick with the AUG. I keep repeating this but:

AUG + Grip or Holo
Sleight of Hand Pro
Stopping Power Pro

This combination will give you a weapon more powerful and more accurate and with more ammo than a stock assault rifle. With Sleight of Hand Pro you'll reload and aim just as fast, too.
I'd basically need to use Bling to get some kind of sight on the thing, which means I couldn't use sleight of hand. You reload less since the clip sizes are much higher, but honestly my favorite part about sleight of hand is the quick aiming, not the fast reloading.

RubxQub said:
I actually saw a guy using the AC130 to deadly effect, and he was using a tactic that I never really thought of using.

He was cycling between all the weapons after shooting them. Fire the huge shell, swap. Fire the littler shells, swap. Fire the tiny shells, swap...fire the huge shell...etc etc.

Seems like the reloading delay on one weapon doesn't affect the other weapons on that ship.

AC130 is harder to find in the sky as well.

I found this out the other day when I got it off a care package because I ain't no streaker. It was probably the fourth time i'd been in the AC130, and I thought "This is gimped, this can't be all there is too it with these shitty cooldowns". Since you are cycling different guns, the cooldown shouldn't apply to all. That's when I started hitting my triangle button and firing non-stop.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
LosDaddie said:
ON TOPIC: After trying out a few guns for the last week or so, I still think the SCAR is the best weapon.

I am loving the ACR at the moment. I think the SCAR is great too, but the ACR is doing it for me right now.

Just ran into my first GAFfer online, TimeLike on 360, but I got kicked from the lobby. So whats up TimeLike, this was NuB Pyke. That is all. Just thought I would share.

NYR

Thread title needs to be changed to Call of Duty: Modern WarFAIL 2 | Official Thread of "Multiplayer Game of the Year"

RubxQub said:
He was cycling between all the weapons after shooting them. Fire the huge shell, swap. Fire the littler shells, swap. Fire the tiny shells, swap...fire the huge shell...etc etc.
This is definitely my routine except I never bother with the machine gun. Big Howitzer shells and medium size shells only to get that ground effect.

One Ka-SHOOOM, followed by four or five BOOM-BOOM-BOOMs. You can quote me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
NYR said:
Thread title needs to be changed to Call of Duty: Modern WarFAIL 2 | Official Thread of "Multiplayer Game of the Year"
I'm for this change.

PaNaMa

Banned
user_nat said:
If Treyarch made this game it would have had local search atleast..

And it would have detailed online web statistical analysis inlcuding match summaries, favourite weapons, kill spots, death spots, accuracy, challenge tracking, compare with your friends, etc etc etc etc.

IW doesn't hold a candle to Treyarch in this department. And MW2 is so full of glitches and imbalances. Really disappointed by IW this time around. Good game overall, but a long list of multiplayer imbalances, and they didn't raise their game when it comes to web integration like Bungie and Treyarch.

PaNaMa said:
IW doesn't hold a candle to Treyarch in this department. And MW2 is so full of glitches and imbalances. Really disappointed by IW this time around. Good game overall, but a long list of multiplayer imbalances, and they didn't raise their game when it comes to web integration like Bungie and Treyarch.
I've got nothing against your sound opinions, but

Treyarch doesn't hold a candle to IW when it comes to innovation, originality, raw entertainment value. Is it as polished as COD4? No. Is it far more ambitious? Absolutely.

What would you assume Call of Duty 7 is going to be, based on the past few years worth of Treyarch games? Call of Duty: Russian Front? Call of Duty: Afrika Korps? Call of Duty: The Marshall Plan? A mini-game with Nazi zombies won't overcome the fact that it's yet another WWII shooter, based on an Infinity Ward product, and way too easy to put down and forget.

luoapp

DeuceMojo said:
What would you assume Call of Duty 7 is going to be, based on the past few years worth of Treyarch games? Call of Duty: Russian Front? Call of Duty: Afrika Korps? Call of Duty: The Marshall Plan? A mini-game with Nazi zombies won't overcome the fact that it's yet another WWII shooter, based on an Infinity Ward product, and way too easy to put down and forget.

Judging from weekly Xbox Live activity stats, millions of people don't agree with you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Disguises said:
Out of curiosity, whats the tactic you use? Because I thought this is what everyone does...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people use this tactic. I know I do. Even when switching cannons, Chopper Gunner seems to outclass AC-130 on most maps though.

GuardianE said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people use this tactic. I know I do. Even when switching cannons, Chopper Gunner seems to outclass AC-130 on most maps though.

The Apache is certainly easier to use; just point and shoot. But even when used properly, the AC-130 still seems underpowered (compared to the Apache).

winnarps

3 - UAV
4 - Counter-UAV
4 - Sentry Gun
5 - Care Package
5 - Predator Missile
6 - Precision Airstrike
7 - Attack Helicopter
8 - Stealth Bomber
9 - Harrier Strike
9 - Emergency Airdrop
10 - Pave Low
10 - EMP
12 - AC-130
15 - Chopper Gunner
25 - Tactical Nuke

Kind of bringing this up because of the AC130 vs Chopper Gunner discussion. AC130 definitely is weaker than the Chopper Gunner. The AC130 is only in the air for 30 seconds, has a fixed circular path, and even if you're cycling through the 3 weapons properly, it's not as easy to use.

TimeLike

Pyke Presco said:
Just ran into my first GAFfer online, TimeLike on 360, but I got kicked from the lobby. So whats up TimeLike, this was NuB Pyke. That is all. Just thought I would share.

Yes I saw you! As soon as I saw the nGaf tag, I was like oh hey neogaf! But then you left straight away. Oh well. I read your bio with all the stuff from the Dudebro thread. Had my friends read it. Good laffs. That was the first time I've ever bumped into someone with a gaf clan tag.

The AC-130 does have a few advantages though. It's harder to shoot down, can't be hit by Harriers or Predator missiles and it can shoot down most other kinds of air support.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Skilotonn said:
Like someone mentioned a few pages back, it's not even that the 1887's range is too far, it's that every other shotgun's range is too short - have you seen a real AA-12 shoot? That should actually be the best shotgun in the game, but in MW2 it has no range whatsoever, and it still needs three blasts to put a single person down - it's ridiculous.

Used it once, and then never again because assault rifles and SMG's were getting me before I got them at close range...

About akimbo's changing the game? The game was never meant to be realistic to begin with, anything that adds to the fun is welcome to me, especially since akimbos drop the accuracy dramatically for mid-range battles anyways...

Bolded the important part. Realistic shotgun range has never really been applied in games, they've always been very close range, very deadly--even if they're actually better than that in real life. The problem when you have a videogame shotgun that does have similar real life range, is that it conflicts with other weapon types. In real life there are obvious reasons to use SMGs, but in a videogame where it's dictated by the other guy dying and you not, why use the gun that takes a burst of shots instead of one from the same range? You can get the drop on someone, and have them quickly turn around and blast you dead. That should never happen unless you got the drop on someone right before you reloaded, or some other massive cockup. For 1887 users, it's common practice.

Another thing, is that akimbos do drop the accuracy dramatically for mid-range battles, sure. But with akimbo 1887, you don't even need accuracy. The spread will still get them with little input from the actual player, and then they just toss it back and it reloaded already, making alternating shots effective in completely impossible ways. They are one of the most insanely unbalanced things I've seen in a game, and I really can't believe some people are defending them.

So I decided to swap out Care package for UAV and my team has been winning a lot more lately it seems. No one seems to use uav all that much since you have a chance to get one with the Care Package but there seems to be an advantage from getting it early on or so it seems.

I completely agree with the second half of your list. But if I was to reorganize, it would look more like this:

winnarps said:
3 - UAV
4 - Counter-UAV
4 - Care Package
5 - Sentry Gun
5 - Precision Airstrike
6 - Predator Missile
7 - Attack Helicopter
8 - Stealth Bomber
9 - Harrier Strike
9 - Emergency Airdrop
10 - Pave Low
10 - EMP
12 - AC-130
15 - Chopper Gunner
25 - Tactical Nuke

In terms of power, I think the UAV and Jammer are about equivalent, but they need to be at separate levels so that you can equip both of them.

I think the Predator Missile is actually superior to the Precision Airstrike. Yes, you get three hits with the airstrike, but you get to aim and guide the Predator Missile with thermal vision. The airstrike is blind; the predator isn't.

That said: the only way to justify this is to give the Harrier a flare or two. It's super powerful, but super weak in terms of the ease of taking it down.

Sh0k

PaNaMa said:
And it would have detailed online web statistical analysis inlcuding match summaries, favourite weapons, kill spots, death spots, accuracy, challenge tracking, compare with your friends, etc etc etc etc.

One thing I miss from Call of Duty World at War is the alternative team colors for deathmatch. I'm color blind and the green and red colors for the teams is so confusing, I have to play almost 98% free-for-all. World at War gave you the alternative to change the team colors to Orange and Blue, much easier for me.

UFRA

buy teh haloz said:
The AC-130 does have a few advantages though. It's harder to shoot down, can't be hit by Harriers or Predator missiles and it can shoot down most other kinds of air support.

I have taken one out with a predator missile before.

careful

winnarps said:
3 - UAV
4 - Counter-UAV
4 - Sentry Gun
5 - Care Package
5 - Predator Missile
6 - Precision Airstrike
7 - Attack Helicopter
8 - Stealth Bomber
9 - Harrier Strike
9 - Emergency Airdrop
10 - Pave Low
10 - EMP
12 - AC-130
15 - Chopper Gunner
25 - Tactical Nuke

Kind of bringing this up because of the AC130 vs Chopper Gunner discussion. AC130 definitely is weaker than the Chopper Gunner. The AC130 is only in the air for 30 seconds, has a fixed circular path, and even if you're cycling through the 3 weapons properly, it's not as easy to use.
Good ordering. I would also increase the kills needed to Nuke (and preferably remove it altogether for objective game types). Also make EMP last longer.

UFRA

Sh0k said:
One thing I miss from Call of Duty World at War is the alternative team colors for deathmatch. I'm color blind and the green and red colors for the teams is so confusing, I have to play almost 98% free-for-all. World at War gave you the alternative to change the team colors to Orange and Blue, much easier for me.

Why don't you play team games and identify the enemies based on their uniform rather than the name?

Sh0k

UFRA said:
Why don't you play team games and identify the enemies based on their uniform rather than the name?

By the moment I stop for a second to identify the uniform, I'm already dead. :lol

winnarps

Yeah, thinking about it more, I would change to the following:

3 - UAV
4 - Counter-UAV
4 - Care Package <-still unsure about this, though. ac130/cg care packages can be complete game changers.
5 - Sentry Gun
5 - Precision Airstrike
6 - Predator Missile
7 - Attack Helicopter
8 - Stealth Bomber
8 - Emergency Airdrop
9 - Harrier Strike
9 - EMP
10 - Pave Low
12 - AC-130
15 - Chopper Gunner
25 - Tactical Nuke

With this, you can have that 'default' COD4 killstreak loadout of UAV/Air Strike/Helicopter, which I thought was completely balanced to begin with.

EMP's usefulness is still iffy. For placement at 15, it should disable enemy map/scopes, kill all air support (including friendly), and last 2 minutes. During those 2 minutes, no air support can be called in (only enemy). This probably isn't realistic, but it seems more balanced for a 15 killstreak.

Pookaki said:
Time to take a break again......

I can only come back to MW2 so many times. I dont know if the DLC will draw me in again.

Its a shame, since I REALLY enjoy the game. But all the fun is ruined when I run into these glitches and bugs. Its unplayable.

check out when he gets the AC130 0_o

Feel exactly the same way. Doesn't help they're are several websites and youtube collections dedicated to showing all the people who wish to spoil the game exactly what to do. Mix that up with those stupid shotguns and I think I'm done with the Multiplayer for a while - at least until it becomes a little less popular.

Does the EMP disable the ability of launchers to lock onto air support?

If so, that would be a compelling reason to make it a higher value than the AC-130/Apache.

divisionbyzorro said:

If so, that would be a compelling reason to make it a higher value than the AC-130/Apache.
Not sure, but fire the EMP, and there's no air support to shoot down. :D

Mad Max

Sh0k said:
By the moment I stop for a second to identify the uniform, I'm already dead. :lol

Teammates have text above their heads when you're looking at them, enemies don't. I don't ever pay attention to uniforms or colours because of this. (especially since the ghillie suits al look the same)

divisionbyzorro said:
That's not what I'm getting at. If I set off an EMP, and their launchers stop working, that would make my AC-130/Apache way overpowered.
Good point. Oooh, ooh, if your team saved their aircraft for when the EMP struck, they'd just tear it up. I wonder if that's why the thing is such a rare item. Because it would be nearly as effective as a nuke if combined with a few aircraft.

NeoUltima

Revengeance said:
If you use AUG you gotta use stopping power btw. The difference in damage is surprisingly huge. It's actually pretty mediocre w/o it.

DeuceMojo said:
Good point. Oooh, ooh, if your team saved their aircraft for when the EMP struck, they'd just tear it up. I wonder if that's why the thing is such a rare item. Because it would be nearly as effective as a nuke if combined with a few aircraft.

I know. I'm getting really curious now.

Can someone hop into a private match and test this out?

Mad Max said:
Teammates have text above their heads when you're looking at them, enemies don't. I don't ever pay attention to uniforms or colours because of this. (especially since the ghillie suits al look the same)
And this is EXACTLY why I continue to use Cold Blooded Pro. Because Max looks above my head, sees NOTHING, says, "let's go get the enemy" and then I shoot him dead. Love that perk.

divisionbyzorro said:

Yes it does. You can still free fire the AT4 and RPG-7, though.

Top Bottom