• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Lince

Banned
RSTEIN said:
The single player campaign is the most shocking piece of garbage I have ever played in my gaming career. Apart from the cool level where you assualt the snow base the game is a disaster on all levels.

yes that snow level was cool (pun intended), but as FFO said there's nothing in MW2 as good as the sniper level in CoD4, not even close.

GQman2121

Banned
Frencherman said:
No offense here guys, I am absolutely not a fan of online-multiplayer cause I am pretty bad in competition actually(relating to my nerves:D). But regarding the single-player campaign this game is a joke and not worth the millions it has already been sold.

The first one was still a realistic and engaging conflict, but this is a complete joke and comparable to a patriotic Michael Bay Movie. You really want to tell me, that russians with communistic symbols on their uniform are attacking the states on a fast-food plant? And to be honest, it`s shocking that this game is getting such great reviews with such an old-dated scripting-gameplay.

Once againg I am not criticising the multiplayer....

Anyone agreeing with me?

The idea that a full out attack on US soil could happen from one dead American being found at the site of a terrorist attack is more than :eyesroll: worthy. It's a real shame the plot is so contrived and forced because the levels themselves are pretty breathtaking. Overall it's a huge step backwards compared to the previous game; especially considering how the game ends, clearly setting up a predictable sequel.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So can we officially say that IW are in no way worthy of any of the praise they seem to get?

- Dedicated Servers
- Incoherent and Ridiculous Story
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- Shield w/Mounted Gun Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Unlimited Supply Crate Glitch
- Private Server Boosting
- Unlimited Ammo Tampering
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- XBL "Join Session In Progress" Oversight
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Care Package Speed Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

...is there more I'm missing?

It just feels like while this game is fantastic, it's so fucking bad :lol

RubxQub said:
So can we officially say that IW are in no way worthy of any of the praise they seem to get?

- Dedicated Servers
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

They've definitely exhausted all of their good will. I expect glitches, but they're harder to excuse without a beta.

A good way to get some good will back would be a free map pack. I remember W@W did this - sure, it was just one MP map, and it was just a reskin of an existing map, but I really liked it! (Makin Day was one of my favorite maps in the entire game)

RubxQub

I also wonder if their success is also their downfall.

So many eager fans got their hands on this game, and so many people are putting so many hours into it...that perhaps some of these issues would have gone unnoticed or undiscovered in a less popular game.

RubxQub said:

So many eager fans got their hands on this game, and so many people are putting so many hours into it...that perhaps some of these issues would have gone unnoticed or undiscovered in a less popular game.

All the more reason to have done a public beta test. They knew it was going to sell millions, why not make sure it's a solid piece of software before putting it on shelves?

Freedom = $1.05 said:
All the more reason to have done a public beta test. They knew it was going to sell millions, why not make sure it's a solid piece of software before putting it on shelves?

They sold 6 million copies in 3/4 of a month that did not include Christmas. I don't think they needed to.

EDIT: And that was on 360/PS3 alone.

I have no idea how people/reviewers can list MW2 as a better game then Killzone 2.

Ive had more fun SP/MP with KZ2 then I had at all with MW2. I'll admit the clusterf*ck that KZ2 can become when the match degrades into a rocket zerg can be a pain but a good 16-24 man KZ2 server with the Assualt class turned off as well as minor tweaks to the playlist/options trumps MW2 a million times over.

In my eyes as a muti-console gamer, KZ2 deserves shooter of the year hands down. It looks, plays, and is overall a better game.
I think MW2 is just riding on the coat tails of CoD4 and basically being admired due to hype.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
RubxQub said:

Maybe they had a similar experience Bungie had with Halo 2? So much pressure to crank it out. Who knows. Maybe they scrapped the entire story like Bungie did at the last minute. I hope that explains the story because I refuse to believe any intelligent person developed this piece of shit with any thought or care over a reasonable time frame.

I'm still loving the multiplayer. But it too is showing clear signs of a rushed product without enough testing or thinking about the consequences of certain design decisions. I'm not saying a beta would have identified present day issues (proably not). But it is evident they didn't play their own damn game enough or stress test it under certain scenarios.

Who knows what was really going on behind the scenes.

Talon

Pkm said:
I have no idea how people/reviewers can list MW2 as a better game then Killzone 2.

Ive had more fun SP/MP with KZ2 then I had at all with MW2. I'll admit the clusterf*ck that KZ2 can become when the match degrades into a rocket zerg can be a pain but a good 16-24 man KZ2 server with the Assualt class turned off as well as minor tweaks to the playlist/options trumps MW2 a million times over.

In my eyes as a muti-console gamer, KZ2 deserves shooter of the year hands down. It looks, plays, and is overall a better game.
I think MW2 is just riding on the coat tails of CoD4 and basically being admired due to hype.
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 thread.

DMeisterJ

Banned
RubxQub said:

- Dedicated Servers
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

Developer isn't good because of glitches? ooooookay....

This thread is taking a turn for the worse. The butthurtedness is increasing. :/

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ZROCOOL said:
1887s nerf today?

watch it disable akimbo.
Eh, I don't buy this. How could it be possible? I don't even think the next patch is in certification yet.

RubxQub

DMeisterJ said:
Developer isn't good because of glitches? ooooookay....

This thread is taking a turn for the worse. The butthurtedness is increasing. :/
An online game that's main selling point was the intense and competitive multiplayer is released with tons of multiplayer issues.

...that isn't a "no big deal". I'm not dumb enough to think that they could release something and it would be perfect, but some of these things seem like such simple oversights (and people are mentioning that glitches have passed from CoD4 into MW2.)

They didn't provide a beta test (which is pretty much common practice these days) or even a demo, so they believed in their own internal QA 100%, and now we see all of these problems.

If the multiplayer wasn't thee selling point of this game, then it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal.

shuri

Banned
there's some sort of new hack going on in the 360 version, i saw it happen in 3 games in a row; in the pre-lobby games, i could hear the kids talking about how 'yeah they hacked'

It was a domination game As soon as the game started, they would launch NON-STOP GRENADES and missiles, and then we had a tidal wave of missiles, and then it was an apocalyptic rain of AC130 rocket fire.

The guy doing the hack racked about 143 kills in 2 minutes (i have no idea how it could happen), and then somehow the game started freaking out and we were getting team killed by him. My screen and controller were rumbling NON STOP. We just disconnected.

Is this known? Because it happened to me twice to me and my friend (we were playing together on the same servers).

The first time it happened, it was :lol-tastic, i would watch the guys shoot non stop rockets from their bazookas, and guys were running around shooting grenades and stuff. The entire sky looked straight out of a Mobile Suit Gundam action scene with all the missiles tracers flying everywhere.

It felt like the hackers had some sort of unlimited-ammo+instant reload+speed hack trio going on.

RubxQub

Assembly Required said:
Noooooooooooo, they are my bread & butter when comes to certain maps when playing demolition. It's pisses off the opposing team so much. It was fun while it lasted.
This is why they are getting nerfed, you see... :lol

I'm using the Striker now instead of Akimbo Rangers because they have nice clip sizes and fire relatively quickly for solid damage.

Talon

shuri said:
there's some sort of new hack going on in the 360 version, i saw it happen in 3 games in a row; in the pre-lobby games, i could hear the kids talking about how 'yeah they hacked'

It was a domination game As soon as the game started, they would launch NON-STOP GRENADES and missiles, and then we had a tidal wave of missiles, and then it was an apocalyptic rain of AC130 rocket fire.

The guy doing the hack racked about 143 kills in 2 minutes (i have no idea how it could happen), and then somehow the game started freaking out and we were getting team killed by him. My screen and controller were rumbling NON STOP. We just disconnected.

Is this known? Because it happened to me twice to me and my friend (we were playing together on the same servers).

The first time it happened, it was :lol-tastic, i would watch the guys shoot non stop rockets from their bazookas, and guys were running around shooting grenades and stuff. The entire sky looked straight out of a Mobile Suit Gundam action scene with all the missiles tracers flying everywhere.

It felt like the hackers had some sort of unlimited-ammo+instant reload+speed hack trio going on.
Holy shit that sounds epic. Anyone have video footage of this game?

Somewhere at Infinity Ward, a software engineer is facepalming.

shuri

Banned
RubxQub said:

- Dedicated Servers
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

Every game can be broken; especially when its a popular game with so many people playing it. Is Capcom the worst dev ever and SF2 overrated because there was around 10 revisions of SF2 CE alone back in the arcade days?

4 millions of players, featuring teenagers that can play more hours a day, 7 days a week will usually lead people to find lots of bugs.

edit:
After experiencing this, it would be awesome if IW released an extra mode like that; call it COD:MW2 EXTREME or whatever, and people had unlimited ammo, could shoot super fast, etc. Your personal stats wouldnt be saved, of course. It would be a fun arcade-style mode.

RubxQub

shuri said:
4 millions of players, featuring teenagers that can play more hours a day, 7 days a week will usually lead people to find lots of bugs.
I agree completely, but I don't know how anyone at IW couldn't consider this release a disappointment from a code perspective.

web01

Worst issue is no proper matchmaking for people outside the US the only people Infinty Ward seems to give a shit about.

Rented World at War and been playing it last few days to test what its like. Even with only 5000 players online it puts me into Australian matches every single time without fail!

ZROCOOL said:
1887s nerf today?

watch it disable akimbo.

Doubtful. The goal is to nerf akimbo without nerfing non-akimbo, but I doubt they'll take away akimbo altogether. I expect that they'll add massive kickback and reduce the accuracy to shit. The goal being to make akimbo a useless attachment for that weapon (kinda like, say, the silencer is useless on the AA-12).

No_Style

RSTEIN said:
Who knows. Maybe they scrapped the entire story like Bungie did at the last minute. I hope that explains the story because I refuse to believe any intelligent person developed this piece of shit with any thought or care over a reasonable time frame.

There's a G4 interview with the writer who essentially admitted to the fact that they created "fun" scenarios and tied it together with their "story".

snack

There's no way they would get rid of Akimbo altogether just because of the 1887s. It just doesn't seem realistic. Just nerf the 1887 and problem solved.

RubxQub

No_Style said:
There's a G4 interview with the writer who essentially admitted to the fact that they created "fun" scenarios and tied it together with their "story".
You can't have a level where you gun down innocent civilians in an airport and then claim that you didn't take your story seriously.
snack said:
There's no way they would get rid of Akimbo altogether just because of the 1887s. It just doesn't seem realistic. Just nerf the 1887 and problem solved.
If it were me, I'd remove Akimbo entirely from the game for shotguns (hell, SMGs as well). It makes no sense.

careful

Pkm said:
COD controls still feel better to me than any other console FPS and that's the most important gameplay aspect.

RubxQub said:
List of glitches
Glitches/exploits are normal for any game. I don't blame IW for this. They've released patches within a reasonable amount of time IMO. People don't realize the amount of testing that needs to be done when a change is made.

web01 said:
Worst issue is no proper matchmaking for people outside the US the only people Infinty Ward seems to give a shit about.
However, THIS is something that we can absolutely put the blame on IW for. I really feel for international users with MM problems. I also don't understand why MM is still breaking up parties when merging lobbies. These are the kind of things that should've been caught before release.

RubxQub

careful said:
Glitches/exploits are normal for any game. I don't blame IW for this. They've released patches within a reasonable amount of time IMO. People don't realize the amount of testing that needs to be done when a change is made..
I work in software development, so I totally get it.

The problem is is that IW didn't do everything in their power to ensure that this game would come out with the highest quality possible (considering some of the glitches are entirely obvious use cases to have tested).

They are probably reacting as quickly as they can given the position they are in and the certification process, but releasing with some major oversights on their part just looks really bad.

Can I say:

1) No, there probably is no patch, but rumor is so fun. Heard some guys talking like it was an actual tweet or something.

2) Nerfing 1887s seems so f'ing wrong to me. Do you think they modified the performance of any of the COD4 guns? Well, why not then? Because maybe they thoroughly tested them before release? Straight up, I'll miss them -- they were equalizers, peacemakers.

3) You can't fault these guys for not having everything perfect, and aren't they pretty much nailing what they need to? Rock glitch: gone. Javelin glitch: gone. Infinite care package glitch: gone. Next patch will cover at least infinite ammo, private match glitch, 1887s. What's it gonna be after that? Minor stuff, you'd have to think.

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Can I say:

1) No, there probably is no patch, but rumor is so fun. Heard some guys talking like it was an actual tweet or something.

2) Nerfing 1887s seems so f'ing wrong to me. Do you think they modified the performance of any of the COD4 guns? Well, why not then? Because maybe they thoroughly tested them before release? Straight up, I'll miss them -- they were equalizers, peacemakers.

3) You can't fault these guys for not having everything perfect, and aren't they pretty much nailing what they need to? Rock glitch: gone. Javelin glitch: gone. Infinite care package glitch: gone. Next patch will cover at least infinite ammo, private match glitch, 1887s. What's it gonna be after that? Minor stuff, you'd have to think.
No one's even talked about fixing the "I KNOW I KILLED THAT MOTHER FUCKER, WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID HE KILL ME" glitch.

Also, I'd like to see some more explosions from Robert Bowling. He hasn't had anything nearly as good as the "senior super douche" comment in the past year.

RubxQub said:

- Dedicated Servers
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

This is the only thing I care about, and it is the most frustrating thing about the game. Trying to play with a group of people is super frustrating because we spend the first 20 minutes trying to get into a damn game.

This is not a random glitch and it is absolutely inexcusable.

RubxQub said:
No one's even talked about fixing the "I KNOW I KILLED THAT MOTHER FUCKER, WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID HE KILL ME" glitch.
:lol :lol :lol
Hah, on my team I hear that about 50% of the time. I tell 'em "dude, shut up and man up! Don't you know the best connection wins!!?!?!?!" :lol

nib95

Banned
Equalizers? Peacemakers? LOL. More like n00b cannon's that are horribly imbalanced.

On the topic of OMG how did he kill me complaints?! It does happen a lot. The entire last match I was in some F'd up shit was going on man. Usually a single burst or two from my M16 (stopping power pro) takes people down. I was pumping 4 bursts in to people who still weren't dying, yet there was no lag! Very bizarre. Pissed me off somewhat, but meh.

careful

RubxQub said:
I work in software development, so I totally get it.

The problem is is that IW didn't do everything in their power to ensure that this game would come out with the highest quality possible (considering some of the glitches are entirely obvious use cases to have tested).

They are probably reacting as quickly as they can given the position they are in and the certification process, but releasing with some major oversights on their part just looks really bad.
Nice. I'm also in software development. :)

The major oversights to me are the broken matchmaking and the balancing problems.
It's difficult to understand how such huge obvious issues made it past testing.

I don't think the other glitches are super obvious (especially those requiring a modded xbox) and I'm somewhat confident they will be taken care of.

RubxQub

careful said:
Nice. I'm also in software development. :)

The major oversights to me are the broken matchmaking and the balancing problems.

I don't think the other glitches are super obvious (especially those requiring a modded xbox) and I'm somewhat confident they will be taken care of.
It's probably worth noting that 75% of the vitriol I'm spewing is fueled by how much I enjoy this game in general.

It's easy to forget that I love it when I'm constantly yelling at it, though :lol

careful said:

Agreed. If I have 6 people in my party before joining a lobby, I should ALWAYS have ALL of those people in my party after joining a lobby. ALWAYS. There's no excuse for this one failing.

J-Rzez

RubxQub said:

- Dedicated Servers
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

it's so fucking bad :lol

Yeah, that's pretty good so far. I'd say the shoddy netcode or whatever allowing people to knife you after you put 3+ bullets into them, or hell just that knife class overall is a joke. Also the lack of proper clan/community options. Oh, and their Community relations is a joke.

The biggest offender of this whole game was they took something that was remotely close to a military simulator, and tried turning the game into a C-class shitty action movie. The snowmobile/boat bullshit and ESPECIALLY the "Akimbo" weapons really made this game a joke. It's insulting to see Navy Seals running around with two 1887 or sawed off shotguns. They turned this game into a joke.

What you IW defenders forget is much of this could have possible been avoided if they didn't cheap out. They didn't give a proper beta, they turned down a larger budget which could have been put into quality control overall, despite the first selling gangbusters. They made it cheap as they could.

nib95 said:
Equalizers? Peacemakers? LOL. More like n00b cannon's that are horribly imbalanced.
Yes, hell yes, they're the new noob tubes.

(BTW, the first time I ever heard the term "noob tube" was in COD2, when they called anyone with a shotgun a noob tuber. IW is doing what's called in the comedy community "bringing it back.")

Funny thing about all this glitchy stuff is there's very little of IW 'owning' it. Yeah, Four Zero Two gets to tweet about it and tell you what's getting fixed, but meanwhile there's no "oh yeah, sorry about the shoddy testing."

DeuceMojo said:
:lol :lol :lol
Hah, on my team I hear that about 50% of the time. I tell 'em "dude, shut up and man up! Don't you know the best connection wins!!?!?!?!" :lol

It's so sad, when you run towards an enemy, see your character doing the knifing-animation, but get shot nevertheless. Then in replay you see that your character did nothing..

Graf Nudu said:
It's so sad, when you run towards an enemy, see your character doing the knifing-animation, but get shot nevertheless. Then in replay you see that your character did nothing..
Absolutely. Or straight up the guy you hit repeatedly in the torso at medium range then proceeds to land a head shot on you. Jesus, I thought they'd learned how to stop this from happening in shooters about 10 f'ing years ago.

Top Bottom