• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Graf Nudu said:
It's so sad, when you run towards an enemy, see your character doing the knifing-animation, but get shot nevertheless. Then in replay you see that your character did nothing..

The real kick in the balls is when you respawn and instantly knife the air.

J-Rzez

DeuceMojo said:
Either sign of imminent apocalypse or a chance to shout 'jinx', or both.

You owe me a coke!

divisionbyzorro said:
Of course, those guys never actually - you know - miss.

Of course, it couldn't be - you know - piss poor netcoding with trashy netcoding where you're actually shooting someone on your screen over and over, just to watch them turn around and one shot you. They you see the kill cam and you're unloading on the wall next to them :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
DeuceMojo said:
Absolutely. Or straight up the guy you hit repeatedly in the torso at medium range then proceeds to land a head shot on you. Jesus, I thought they'd learned how to stop this from happening in shooters about 10 f'ing years ago.
I think a major issue is that without an actual health bar or %, you don't know how much damage you're actually doing.

There are so many times where I see the little "x" on my screen indicating a hit like 4-5 times and the guy doesn't drop, only to seemingly get dropped in just 2 shots. Of course the gun and perks you using matter, but should any gun suck so badly that it can't kill someone in 5 hits to the chest?

Some kind representation of health beyond screen jam or redness (like an actual number or graphic) would make a lot of these "WTF" situations at least understandable.
divisionbyzorro said:
Another minor, but "WTF" glitch.

This game screams "Didn't have enough time to polish it".

Does anyone here actually like the campaign? I didn't really care for the story but I did enjoy the main characters stories. I thought all of the levels themselves were really well done.

And actually, that sort of goes with everything. I find a lot of the glitches funny and think the whole game is a well done package. I'm addicted to the multiplayer still.

VGChampion said:
Does anyone here actually like the campaign? I didn't really care for the story but I did enjoy the main characters stories. I thought all of the levels themselves were really well done.
I like the parts where there are only 1-2 enemies on screen at once but IW tends to send that atmosphere down the crapper every chance they get. No IW, random enemies spawning to every direction from you does not equal fun.

Dina

RubxQub said:
So can we officially say that IW are in no way worthy of any of the praise they seem to get?

- Dedicated Servers
- Incoherent and Ridiculous Story
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- Shield w/Mounted Gun Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Unlimited Supply Crate Glitch
- Private Server Boosting
- Unlimited Ammo Tampering
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- XBL "Join Session In Progress" Oversight
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Care Package Speed Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

...is there more I'm missing?

It just feels like while this game is fantastic, it's so fucking bad :lol

PC-version since the beginning and encountered only one aimbotter. Couldn't migrate host or unable to connect to host still happens, but not that often.

I don't know what half of the glitches you mentioned are either.

PetriP-TNT said:
I like the parts where there are only 1-2 enemies on screen at once but IW tends to send that atmosphere down the crapper every chance they get. No IW, random enemies spawning to every direction from you does not equal fun.

Like I said before, IW is the Michael Bay of the video game indudstry...

RubxQub said:
So can we officially say that IW are in no way worthy of any of the praise they seem to get?

- Dedicated Servers
- Incoherent and Ridiculous Story
- Javelin Glitch
- Wall-Walk Glitch
- Shield w/Mounted Gun Glitch
- View Enemy Map Glitch
- Unlimited Supply Crate Glitch
- Private Server Boosting
- Unlimited Ammo Tampering
- Broken Matchmaking
- Sketchy Netcode
- XBL "Join Session In Progress" Oversight
- Knife Delay Glitch
- Care Package Speed Glitch
- Akimbo 1887 Balancing

...is there more I'm missing?

It just feels like while this game is fantastic, it's so fucking bad :lol

Why does this make them unworthy of any praise? They still shipped an incredible game that will be the most played game on Live and PSN for quite awhile. Who gives a fuck about some glitches, all online games launch with glitches, whether there was a beta or not. At least they've been fixing problems with a quickness.

The only problem I have with the game is the 1887 Akimbo being so utterly ridiculous. I have 3 days of play time in the MP and I haven't even seen most of the stuff listed :D

VGChampion said:

And actually, that sort of goes with everything. I find a lot of the glitches funny and think the whole game is a well done package. I'm addicted to the multiplayer still.

In terms of presentation and gameplay variation, this would hold true.

However, I find the game has the same issues that came with all CoD's and these ancient. not of this day age practises clash directly with what the game is aiming for in terms of presentation.

Even more telling is that the heavy reliance on scripting meant IW could not have co-op for the campaign, whereas Treyarch did for WaW. The only difference in terms of AI is that in WaW everyone is running through everyone and in MW characters tend to do stop 'n pop until enemies run out or the player moves forward.

In retrospect, I find that Treyarch was more in tune with its theme than MW2 is. Also, just because IW is better at hiding its flaws doesn't make Treyarch any worse of a developer and it's about time people start treating Treyarch as a equal party to IW. They have done their time with the franchise and IW isn't doing a truelly better job than they are.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Why doesn't Activision just drop IW all together? Just let Treyarch make all the CoD games.
Only then will we have glitch free, balanced and innovative CoD games.

Stupid Infinity Ward.

Lince

Banned
Pkm said:
In my eyes as a muti-console gamer, KZ2 deserves shooter of the year hands down. It looks, plays, and is overall a better game.
I think MW2 is just riding on the coat tails of CoD4 and basically being admired due to hype.

applause.gif

careful said:
COD controls still feel better to me than any other console FPS and that's the most important gameplay aspect.

fair enough, KZ2 controls are designed to be mastered and you'll feel satisfied and rewarded with every kill along the way in the game as long as you have the patience/skill to devote a couple of hours to get comfortable with the realistic inertia and weight. On the other hand CoD is designed so even my cat can kill right off the bat (auto-aim, snap in-out, twitchy all the way), in my opinion of course.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Cerrius said:
Why doesn't Activision just drop IW all together? Just let Treyarch make all the CoD games.

Stupid Infinity Ward.
PriceIsRightFailNoise.wav

divisionbyzorro said:
There was a lot of that in COD4 too. But probably far more in this game since knifing seems... better.

It's gonna be hard not having a knife that reaches 15 yards...

Lince

Banned
Odrion said:
hahahah AHAHAHAHAH HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

yeah, no shit, imagine Street Fighter with auto-combos / auto-ultras and all, it would be so lame and shallow, that's CoD approach to controls. No skill, fire and kill... or camp and kill. That's the reason the game is full of kids, I never heard a kid's voice playing KZ2 but every MW2 game has a couple of 12 year olds on it. IMO.

Lince said:
Fair enough, KZ2 controls are designed to be mastered and you'll feel satisfied and rewarded with every kill along the game as long as you have the patience/skill to devote a couple of hours to get comfortable with the realistic inertia and weight. On the other hand CoD is designed so even my cat can kill right off the bat (auto-aim, snap in-out, twitchy all the way), in my opinion of course.

Ah, the good ol' "if it's not difficult to use, it's noobish" bullshit. Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but in this man's opinion, KZ2's controls were ass.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
guys guys guys

I got the perfect name

check this out

Infinity Failureward

haaaaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cerrius said:

Stupid Infinity Ward.

Oh, HAL no. No he dih-ent. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
What you IW defenders forget is much of this could have possible been avoided if they didn't cheap out. They didn't give a proper beta, they turned down a larger budget which could have been put into quality control overall, despite the first selling gangbusters. They made it cheap as they could.

A beta doesn't guarantee that these problems would be found. It took over a month with millions and millions of kiddos online to find stuff like the infinite ammo exploit. No QA team can compete with the Jimmy Schoolboys of the world playing 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week.

IW most likely had no input on whether or not a public beta would run. These "betas" on the console side aren't even real betas anyway. They're just public demos used for building awareness of the product (aka MARKETING). Which brings me to Activision (You know, the ones that own the CoD franchise, distribute the games, market them, provide the funding, etc. etc.) Whatever IW does in regards to marketing their CoD games has to come with direct approval from the publisher (aka ACTIVISION). After all, Activision owns the Call of Duty license and they call the shots on how they want to reveal and market their games NOT IW.

But sure, blame Infinity Ward. Viva Treyarch.

Lince

Banned
so when is this magic patch coming to the PS3? I might come back then to check it out, specially if they fix the OMA bullshit with the infinite supply of nades. Everyone is doing either that or just running around with the RPG + Danger close or the 1887s... seems like Quake :lol

Cerrius said:

Stupid Infinity Ward.

You're joking right? You must be, did Treyarch ever fix the getting under the map glitches in WaW? I know you could still do it 6+ months after release.

noire said:
Oh Peach SCHNAPPPPPPS, son, you pretty much nailed that shit.

OK as far as kicks in the ol' balls go:
Last night, mahfuckah in Demolition on Favela knocks me down into Final Stand in the upper corner of the map where the bomb point is, opposite the street side. So I manage to get one shot off at him with my shotgun while I'm down.

Then he sidesteps away up the stairs to a rooftop to clean all the strawberry jam off his camera lens, and in f'ing AWESOME Halo-fashion, he LEAPS to the side off this roof and looks like f'ing Spiderman with his legs all tucked up under him looking down at me and getting a bead on me right before I blast him in mid air with a dead-on shotgun hit and send his shit flying like a crash test dummy.

It's times like these you're all like "where is the motherfucking save-a-replay option?"

Lince said:
so when is this magic patch coming to the PS3? I might come back then to check it out, specially if they fix the OMA bullshit with the infinite supply of nades. Everyone is doing either that or just running around with the RPG + Danger close or the 1887s... seems like Quake :lol

They won't change that. There are enough counters to that tactic as it is, and that style of play so streaky its unreliable. Sure, some games you go 28-2, but most games you go 10-14. It only seems useful on HQ, but everyone wears (or should wear) blast shields in that mode anyway.

Cerrius said:

Stupid Infinity Ward.

I certainly had no intention of claiming such a thing. Activision needs yearly versions of CoD. IW and Treyarch produce them. And that's that.
(and they both come with many bugs)

But there is very little ground (left) in my view for the communities at large to claim one as (vastly) superior to the other. Their difference in approach produces slightly different products with their own pros and cons (how much can they really change in two-year dev cycles?) and are valued for different reasons, but they are valued nonetheless. (and if sales are representative of value, that would be a lot of it)

RavenFox

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
I hate that shit so much. So many wtf I've said playing this glitchy mess of a game. Did manage to get my prestige of 250 Knife kills though.

Lince

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
They won't change that. There are enough counters to that tactic as it is, and that style of play so streaky its unreliable. Sure, some games you go 28-2, but most games you go 10-14. It only seems useful on HQ, but everyone wears (or should wear) blast shields in that mode anyway.

yes the blast shield helps a lot in some situations (I used it with my riot shield class) but the rifle tubes are so annoying when you are trying to capture a zone in Domination and two guys are camping there with OMA and noob tubing everything that moves.

whitehawk

Banned
Jesus fucking christ they need to fix the matchmaking.

I was online last night with 3 other friends, and we were looking for a game for TWENTY (20) minutes. We found one after 15, but we got disconnected right after we got in.

Also, every 3rd person team tactical is a fucking glitched game on rust. FIX THIS SHIT IW!

LosDaddie

Banned
Cerrius said:
A beta doesn't guarantee that these problems would be found. It took over a month with millions and millions of kiddos online to find stuff like the infinite ammo exploit. No QA team can compete with the Jimmy Schoolboys of the world playing 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week.

IW most likely had no input on whether or not a public beta would run. These "betas" on the console side aren't even real betas anyway. They're just public demos used for building awareness of the product (aka MARKETING). Which brings me to Activision (You know, the ones that own the CoD franchise, distribute the games, market them, provide the funding, etc. etc.) Whatever IW does in regards to marketing their CoD games has to come with direct approval from the publisher (aka ACTIVISION). After all, Activision owns the Call of Duty license and they call the shots on how they want to reveal and market their games NOT IW.

You should know that logic & reason have no place in this thread. :lol Jump on the Hate Bandwagon like everyone else. :lol

Fuck the haters. MW2 is awesome and great fun online. L4D2 is the only 2009 FPS that is on the same level of awesomeness online.

Lince

Banned
I wouldn't go that far to call this game a software failure, I believe most of the concerns are poor design decisions... and the glitches, oh well, we have legions of kids dedicated to find these obscure things in every high-profile competitive online game released, the QA team should hire a dozen of these kids for their future project. I just hope the next patch is the definitive one so I can have the same fun I was having the first weeks.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
I've never NOT had full green bars, and I've played online for 26 hours. I've only been in a glitch match ONCE! MW2 MULTIPLAYER IS GREAT!

DMeisterJ

Banned
Cerrius said:

+1

Lince said:
fair enough, KZ2 controls are designed to be mastered and you'll feel satisfied and rewarded with every kill along the way in the game as long as you have the patience/skill to devote a couple of hours to get comfortable with the realistic inertia and weight. On the other hand CoD is designed so even my cat can kill right off the bat (auto-aim, snap in-out, twitchy all the way), in my opinion of course.

KZ2 has realistic inertia and weight? You can float backwards when you jump like in Halo and all the guns are just as slow and sluggish as one another. In other words if I am running around with a handgun I should be a lot faster in movements as well as shouldering/aiming but that simply doesn't happen in KZ2, unless they've patched it yet again since last I played.

Furthermore the controls aren't a hindrance like they are in KZ2. Your cat will certainly be able to move around fluidly in MW2 thanks to controls that are well designed but that has nothing to do with being able to kill. Anyways don't wanna turn this into some comparison thing so I won't say anything more on KZ2.

divisionbyzorro said:
They sold 6 million copies in 3/4 of a month that did not include Christmas. I don't think they needed to.

EDIT: And that was on 360/PS3 alone.

That's not my point. My point was that they knew it was going to be played by millions upon millions of people well in advance, thus they should've beta tested it to at least correct some balancing issues and some of the more glaringly obvious bugs/glitches. A 2 week beta test could've gone a long way to making MW2 a better product day 1, instead of this clusterfuck of patchworking that is currently going on.

winnarps

Weird offshoot of the private match XP glitch:

* I got tossed into a Domination game where EVERYONE is red/enemy (this means everyone in the game shows up on radar, killstreak screens, has auto-aim on them).
* The scoreboard shows up looking similar to the yellow free-for-all names.
* You cannot kill people that have the same model/side as you, and there are clearly two teams showing on the UI.
* You could kill 'enemy' players that were on the opposite side.
* The point system was a mix of kills and domination points.

It was chaotic. People would try to kill their teammates, but couldn't. So then you'd run out to try to capture points and get killed by others. So some people were like, why is everyone invincible?!

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, that's pretty good so far. I'd say the shoddy netcode or whatever allowing people to knife you after you put 3+ bullets into them, or hell just that knife class overall is a joke. Also the lack of proper clan/community options. Oh, and their Community relations is a joke.

The biggest offender of this whole game was they took something that was remotely close to a military simulator, and tried turning the game into a C-class shitty action movie. The snowmobile/boat bullshit and ESPECIALLY the "Akimbo" weapons really made this game a joke. It's insulting to see Navy Seals running around with two 1887 or sawed off shotguns. They turned this game into a joke.

What you IW defenders forget is much of this could have possible been avoided if they didn't cheap out. They didn't give a proper beta, they turned down a larger budget which could have been put into quality control overall, despite the first selling gangbusters. They made it cheap as they could.

You've been trolling this game since day one. Your shtick is getting old.

P.S. 5 days playtime in Hardcore modes - seen one or two glitches at MOST in that entire time. Doesn't happen in HC game types.

DevelopmentArrested said:
You've been trolling this game since day one. Your shtick is getting old.

P.S. 5 days playtime in Hardcore modes - seen one or two glitches at MOST in that entire time. Doesn't happen in HC game types.

Darn tootin'.

Also, with all the bitching that goes on, my biggest gripe is whenever i force myself to play Domination or Sabotage or Capture the flag, it's the biggest cluster fuck ever. People just run around killing each other since they don't see the incentive in, you know, completing the objective.

IW needs to work on incentivising the objective-based games so that people don't just sit around massaging their K/D ratio.

DoomGyver

ALeperMessiah said:
You're joking right? You must be, did Treyarch ever fix the getting under the map glitches in WaW? I know you could still do it 6+ months after release.
You can still get under the map in Overgrown.. 2+ years man.

Chrange

Banned
Lince said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2478k6iCPI

Mastery :lol

I got absolutely raped last night.
There was this dude running around with Marathon | Lightweight | and sporting 2 shotguns that could not be stopped. I stayed in every game he was in just to try and get revenge but he made me pay over and over and over again.

Chrange said:

Have you even played the game? If your not playing it on the easiest setting that is absolutely impossible to pull off.

VGChampion said:

Only shooter that I bought that I couldn't even bring myself to finish the campaign. MP however, has its claws firmly in place.

SUPREME1

Banned
Lince said:
applause.gif

Lulz.

Walking on solid ground shouldn't feel like walking in a swamp.

That inertia isn't realisitc either. Very exagerrated and overdone. I can see it being a nice addition if your swinging your entire body around to engage a target behind you or completely to your side. But when all I want to do is aim at a new target a couple of feet away from wher I'm already aiming, it shouldn't take so long for the gun to move such a small distance and it shouldn't swing way passed the target as well once it does finally reach the target zone.

This, and only this, absolutely killed all the excitement I had for this game.

Top Bottom