• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I read an interview today with 2 guys from IW. They talked about how they were amazed at the Javelin glitch and the crazy method for endless care packages.

Seems since the game was released new the holidays alot of the staff has been on vacation, in fact it said ALL of IW is off for the month of December.
Supposedly guys have been coming in on there Vacation to work on these patches and get them out the door to us.

Maybe this explains why it takes a few days or even a week before a patch hits. Hopefully come Jan. we start getting a barrage of patches for many issues with the game.

xxjuicesxx said:
I can assure you if Halo 3 had a killcam it would be the same thing. Its all over network. Hell you could have played perfectly and maybe you did shoot them deadon with a FAMAS that noone should have survived. If they did the same thing its really up to the internet to decide who did it first.

I also have about ~8000 games of H3 and now 5 days online of MW2.

I still stand by my opinion that Halo is a more solid, consistent game when it comes to hit detection. That goes for melee hits as well. My knife class in MW2 has gotten me so many "air slice kills" that it's hilarious. They have improved since CoD4, but I can't get behind the opinion that it has the best hit detection of any FPS.

DMeisterJ

Banned
SmokeMaxX said:
Can somebody provide details on the "rebalancing" of the 1887s? It's a really delicate process, rebalancing those guns because one gun SHOULD be strong (because its reload is unparalleled in the shotguns) but Akimbo, it should have something that doesn't make it overpowered (like a 0.05 second reload).
Can you not read the last page?

The range was taken down a bunch, and the power may have been taken down a bit, or it could just be the range going down affecting the power.

It still loads/reloads the same, and there isn't any difference in time between shots/animations/etc.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
pretty much posted by said:
29oscbs.jpg

OUR UAV IS ONLINE!

why are you using IE6 X(

If you say work then you need to go slap somebody in your IT department!

jiien

I don't have an opinion of how MW2 compares to Halo 3 when it comes to hit detection, but I don't see how people can even complain about the hit detection in MW2 (or pretty much all of the recent CoDs at that). Hit detection in the CoD games have been near perfect for a long time now, and absolutely trump most other FPSs (like the Battlefield series, don't get me wrong, love BF, but sometimes...bah).

When people say they see on the killcam something other than what they thought they saw in game, that's not a hit detection issue. That's an internet connection issue. You're lagging behind the host/server, and so you'll end up with a different picture locally than what the server sees. That's not really hit detection. In a theoretical, lagfree game, hit detection is spot on. You can shoot the very top of a guy's head, and get that head shot. Or shoot a foot, or an elbow. That's pretty damn impressive hit detection. I have never once shot someone where I was absolutely damn sure my sight was over a guy, and it didn't register because the game's math was off. If it didn't register, it's pretty damn clear I was lagging.

Edit: Oh, and for knife hits, I bet they don't really use hit detection. They probably don't plot the course of your knife through the animation, and see if it actually hits something. It's more like, if your enemy is within a certain range of you, and within a certain radius around the center of the exact direction you are looking, you get the kill, and the animation follows suit. That's why Commando knife kills make it look like the person is gliding. Commando extends the range that is used to calculate that successful knife hit, and so the animation will just "teleport" you to the person to follow suit should math determine that you had a valid knife hit on the person.

Edit edit: I'm just running with thoughts here. I know you can knife some of the surroundings, like a can on a shelf or something, and have it move. So I wonder exactly how knife hit detection is done, then. Maybe they do actually plot the course of the knife, but that wouldn't make any sense in the context of Commando, since you only glide if you actually get the person, not if you just swing the knife randomly. Either way, the math is all there, and from personal experience, it's pretty sound. Connection issues on the other hand, that can frustrate people.

Summary: LAG =/= HIT DETECTION. They are not the same thing, and though they may appear to have the same outcome, they are two completely separate issues.

Net_Wrecker said:
I still stand by my opinion that Halo is a more solid, consistent game when it comes to hit detection. That goes for melee hits as well. My knife class in MW2 has gotten me so many "air slice kills" that it's hilarious. They have improved since CoD4, but I can't get behind the opinion that it has the best hit detection of any FPS.
Yeah, I'm playing Halo right now and it is lagging like fuck. One of my teammates hit an enemy player with the Laser (I was watching his screen b/c I was dead) and he didn't die. H3's hit detection is horrid.

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, I'm playing Halo right now and it is lagging like fuck. One of my teammates hit an enemy player with the Laser (I was watching his screen b/c I was dead) and he didn't die. H3's hit detection is horrid.

OK, in a LAGGY match the game will BE LAGGY. I get that. I was talking about in a perfect situation, or as close to a perfect connection as you can get, I feel that Halo 3 still has the best hit detection of the major console FPS games.

But let's drop this now, instead focusing on the upcoming patch, and the hope that the Spring map pack can add some decent maps to this game.:D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, 10th Prestige hack is patched. But they didn't do shit to the hackers?

FUCK ME FOR BEING STUPID AND NOT GETTING IN ON FREE CALLSIGN UNLOCKS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

I couldn't give a shit about the 10th Prestige. But having to regrind once I hit 70 to Prestige 1 to get the "My Little Pwn'y" callsign is fucking stupid
. *sigh*

Speaking of hit detection, I was also playing some spec-ops mode and my friend was in front of me and I fired a couple pistol shots in between his legs at some enemy but it considered those shots to hit him instead of miss him. When I quite clearly didn't hit him at all.

A very minor annoyance but still.

SmokeMaxX

DMeisterJ said:
Can you not read the last page?

The range was taken down a bunch, and the power may have been taken down a bit, or it could just be the range going down affecting the power.

It still loads/reloads the same, and there isn't any difference in time between shots/animations/etc.

1887s got a pretty good nerfing, unless it's just a placebo... Range is definitely down, maybe power a bit too, even if
the stats don't reflect it.

Yes I saw that. Doesn't exactly sound like a lot of confidence in that post, which by the way was the only one that said anything about the models post-patch. In addition I was looking for more details rather than "range down, power down" which is why I referenced the Spas. The power should NOT be less than the Spas unless the reload is faster (which it's not). That's the price for having a slow shotgun. However, the range should not be as long as it was. Is the range longer than the Spas range?

Hyunkel6

CrazedArabMan said:
Speaking of hit detection, I was also playing some spec-ops mode and my friend was in front of me and I fired a couple pistol shots in between his legs at some enemy but it considered those shots to hit him instead of miss him. When I quite clearly didn't hit him at all.

A very minor annoyance but still.

Damn, that sounds so badass :lol . Will try.

Hero

Alright, so I've tried restarting my modem/router multiple times throughout the day and I still can't find a game through matchmaking. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hero said:
Alright, so I've tried restarting my modem/router multiple times throughout the day and I still can't find a game through matchmaking. Has anyone else experienced this?
Did your NAT randomly change? Mine changed from Open to Moderate. Maybe yours is restricting your ability to find a game.

Nizz

DMeisterJ said:
1887s got a pretty good nerfing, unless it's just a placebo... Range is definitely down, maybe power a bit too, even if
the stats don't reflect it.
Awesome, thank you IW!

careful

Just played a whole bunch of games with 1.07, but didn't come across many Terminators.
I don't remember any "ahhh, bullshit!" moments from the few of them that managed to get me.

Hero

backflip10019 said:
Did your NAT randomly change? Mine changed from Open to Moderate. Maybe yours is restricting your ability to find a game.

It still says open. Don't understand, I was connecting to L4D2 games today. Seems really odd.

TheSeks

Akimbo 1887's are still good. Nerfed my ass. That or I'm better than I expect from my deaf ass with them. :lol

TheSeks

sext0n said:
Range is a little less. Still very deadly.

Yeah, probably. I just don't see what exactly they nerfed since two blasts (hell even one blast) on most of the maps = death.

It's hilarious to pick them up to complement my P90 and just abuse them with scavenger + claymores.

Someone tell me Tactical Knife and Riot Shield isn't useless. Please. Because I can't seem to use the damn things worth a shit. :/

At least I got some "nice distractions" from the riot shield. But I was like... 8-26. :lol

Manus

My stats so far. Got another nuke on Favela tonight in Ground War Domination. Was so nervous when I was around the 20 mark.

10ht3rp.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Really shitty webcam picture I took of my stats. Not really satisfied with them, but nothing some Free For Alls can't fix. I play a lot of Search and Destroy and TDM.

Edit: Does anyone else fuck with their sensitivity? Mine is at 8. I started at normal, moved to High, then moved to Very High. I think it's pretty much perfect for me... for now.

JaMarco

Can someone explain to me what the hell is the point of Handguns? Theyre extremely weak and don't have much range either. What advantage do they gave over Machine Pistols and Shotguns? Other that using the Tac. Knife with a speed class, the seem kinda useless to me.

LowParry

Case said:
Can someone explain to me what the hell is the point of Handguns? Theyre extremely weak and don't have much range either. What advantage do they gave over Machine Pistols and Shotguns? Other that using the Tac. Knife with a speed class, the seem kinda useless to me.

Simple. Tactical Knife.

nib95

Banned
I started playing more of the PS3 version online as a few of my mates keep hassling me to go on PS3 (all this time I've been on 360, level 56 now). And wow, was completely dominating. I think I came first in 6-7 matches I had in a row. k/d ratio shot up from pretty poor to now a respectable 1.53 and I'm pretty sure it will only keep getting higher now that I have the experience from the 360 version translated in to the PS3.

Been using the FAMAS the entire time. Great weapon. Wonder if the FAL or M16 are actually better? Never used the FAMAS much on the 360.

On a rather controversial side note. I think I actually prefer playing this game on the PS3. I just find the looser sticks and larger diameter movement allow for more control and precision aiming. It's not much of a difference mind, but there is something there.

rodvik

DeuceMojo said:
Awesome, lemme get this straight: you actually have an outbuilding or attached structure like a garage or shed that you play games in? Hilarious. :lol

Yeah , it was an old stable so I had it converted. Its now the place for boardgames, miniatures wargames and videogames. Still just being finished up as it gets weather proofed, I cannot wait to move in, hopefully this month! :D

DRE Fei said:
At least those 1887s are a level 67 weapon. Imagine if you unlocked them much earlier.
Well they've been nerfed quite a bit, so it doesn't matter. They're about the same as every other shotgun now..

nib95 said:
Been using the FAMAS the entire time. Great weapon. Wonder if the FAL or M16 are actually better? Never used the FAMAS much on the 360.
I personally think that the FAMAS is the best weapon of those three. With the fastest fire rate, moving targets die quicker so they can't escape. The M16 is slower, i find that often a lot of enemies can escape my fire. It's also less useful when people are close to you, it takes a longer amount of time to take a person out at close quarters. And the FAL is a nice weapon for long range, but it doesnt work well at all in close quarters. Basically the FAMAS has the best of both worlds, and trumps the M16 and FAL by a mile.

nib95 said:
On a rather controversial side note. I think I actually prefer playing this game on the PS3. I just find the looser sticks and larger diameter movement allow for more control and precision aiming. It's not much of a difference mind, but there is something there.

Not to be a jerk but going by your post history here and on the IGN boards, that's not controversial for you to say that at all.

KaYotiX

Banned
Case said:

Tac Knife and you bring them out faster when you switch, its great for when you run out of ammo and need the pistol in a snap, but i prefer the raffica still :D

Hero

To add to the weirdness, I was able to find games when I joined my friend's party for matchmaking. Played for like three hours. Then I tried matchmaking solo and it wouldn't/couldn't find a game for me. Wtf.

G0DLIKE

cod4.jpg

compared to

cod_mw2.jpg

No nuke yet :(

I've given up on playing the 360 version 'til the poor matchmaking is patched. Shouldn't be too far away as mentioned by Robert Bowling on twitter. "@anwickes Yeah, in a future update we'll be taking lat / long into account when matchmaking which will help you join local hosts." '

If that patch isn't out in a month or so, I'm definitely selling the 360 version. Since a recent patch, the PC version always connection me to a good room while the 360 version is still a broken pos.

jiien

Case said:

I murder with a Silenced USP. Easily. It's pretty beast. Three shots, maybe four will down a dude. Even faster if you get a headshot. They're not as all-or-nothing as shotguns, and when silenced, they are still just as deadly.

Totally shocking how many people are level 10 prestige on PS3 now, yesterday there was at least 2 in every game, at one point there was 6, they really should remove all their emblems seeing their stuff is saved server side...

JaMarco

jiien said:
I murder with a Silenced USP. Easily. It's pretty beast. Three shots, maybe four will down a dude. Even faster if you get a headshot. They're not as all-or-nothing as shotguns, and when silenced, they are still just as deadly.
Are you using it without stopping power?

Lince

Banned
this game needs an optional regional lock for mp, it's frustrating playing a smooth game with people in your area then some guy from the US joins and the game starts to lag badly and here we go with the host migration process, server time out, etc... it's like the game is coded to give them host no matter what.

jiien

Case said:
Are you using it stopping power?

Yes. Only class build I have that doesn't use Stopping Power is my Cold Blooded class for taking down air support.

Also, about half the kills I get with the pistol, the enemy doesn't even know I'm there. If I didn't have the Silencer on, I'd swear they'd just turn around and blow me away with their primary. Silencer makes a world of difference when you know you're using an underpowered gun (compared to a primary, that is).

That said, I take down guys who know where I am all the time. It takes practice to get the feel for a pistol though. This game, in general, tends to favor a more spray-and-pray attitude. Most of the guns (save for the FAL, and the ONLY two three-round-burst weapons) are full auto. So I think that's why players in general tend to favor the machine pistols. They're just easier to use (not that the machine pistols aren't good in their own right, just saying in general).

Minamu

rodvik said:
What is with you guys and no ties??? :lol I get them all the time.

p.s. gratz on nuke.
I got 1 tie in about 130 levels. Then I got 2 ties in one night :lol Think I have 4 or 5 now after 180+ levels :S

Anyone else love prestiging?

I like that it strips down your options and forces you to live outside of your comfortable class setups. I think I play better for the most part as well.

Arjen

Tried out the magnum last night, for some reason me and that gun are match made in heaven, got the 100 kills needed for the tac knife in 5 or 6 games.
Note: I'm not a very good player, so for me that was pretty damn fast.

Top Bottom